PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a decent countryside ambience

ggctuk
30-07-09, 21:40
I'm looking for a decent countryside ambience for the exterior of Croft Manor. Could somebody point me in the right direction? I know TR1 and TR2 do not have what I'm looking for.

aktrekker
31-07-09, 07:35
Are you looking for this as in a level, other game, picture, movie, textures, sounds ???

Phys
31-07-09, 08:11
Well ambience generally means sound so I would think ggctuk means sound to play outside his Croft Manor giving the impression of being in the countryside.

ggctuk
31-07-09, 10:31
That's exactly what I mean.

aktrekker
31-07-09, 12:18
am⋅bi⋅ance  [am-bee-uhns; Fr. ahn-byahns]
1. the mood, character, quality, tone, atmosphere, etc., particularly of an environment or milieu: The restaurant had a delightful ambiance.
2. that which surrounds or encompasses; environment.

I wasn't sure if you wanted sound, ambient lighting, objects to create the mood, general feel, or what?

The only sounds I can think of would be singing birds. Should be able to find some with google. Possibly some squirrel chatter if the level is wooded. Crows cawing if you want a strange mood :)
Things would be different at night of course. Owls, coyotes or wolves howling, things like that.

ggctuk
31-07-09, 14:24
It was sounds, I'll see if I can find some via Google.

Peanut
31-07-09, 14:36
How about the Croft Manor Theme from TRA?

iamlaracroft
31-07-09, 14:43
How 'bout this?

lNLVJm1X0Cw&feature=PlayList&p=C3D57CB5FA91307E&index=11

or this?

o3mGMZVY0L8

edit: I'm listening to the second one and I really like it. I think it could work. It's not intrusive and at a low volume I think it would be quite nice.

ggctuk
31-07-09, 18:58
How about the Croft Manor Theme from TRA?

Yes, I'm using that but I want to use an actual countryside ambience over the top of it so you can hear the birds twittering etc.

Kapu
31-07-09, 20:30
Yes, I'm using that but I want to use an actual countryside ambience over the top of it so you can hear the birds twittering etc.

I've got the perfect ambience for you. Play the track 'In the Jungle' on the MP3 Player and see if you like it. Click me. (http://www.planetlara.com/soundtrack/ambient/)

ggctuk
31-07-09, 20:38
Yeah, that might just do! Thanks!

tweetygwee
31-07-09, 20:44
TR3 Jungle sounds outside Croft Manor in England? I'm not so sure personally, but I know how difficult it is to find sound effects and ambience tracks that are just right. It's a shame there isn't more of this kind of stuff on the web :(

ggctuk
31-07-09, 20:46
I guess that you're right... I just listened to the full track - the twittering birds are fine, but I doubt there'd be the cawing of the exotic birds in Surrey's countryside.

Kapu
31-07-09, 20:55
TR3 Jungle sounds outside Croft Manor in England? I'm not so sure personally, but I know how difficult it is to find sound effects and ambience tracks that are just right. It's a shame there isn't more of this kind of stuff on the web :(

The track is called In the Jungle, but it honestly sounds like what you hear outside on a very hot day. I think it sounds perfect. I don't think you'll find anything much better, ggctuk...

tweetygwee
31-07-09, 21:03
The track is called In the Jungle, but it honestly sounds like what you hear outside on a very hot day. I think it sounds perfect. I don't think you'll find anything much better, ggctuk...

It's a matter of opinion, but the track is extremely recognisable in the TR community. GMac and RaiderX used it loads in Jungle Ruins, and many other high scoring levels have used it in a jungle setting. It might not work out for regular custom level players.

Sorry to be difficult, but I'm just throwing this in for argument's sake as the reviews might mention it once the level is released.

ggctuk
31-07-09, 21:05
I found a 30-minute countryside ambience online. It seems to fit quite well, so I'm using it :D (Of course, in game, I'll only be using a section of it, 30mins of ambience is too long when you'll probably only spend twenty minutes, tops (and that's if you're lucky) outside.

tombraider1703
02-08-09, 11:10
were do you found it? I need such an ambience too for my venice level.

ggctuk
02-08-09, 17:17
I just did an internet search for free countryside ambience, and this one came in somewhere (I can't remember how many links I had to try).

It has a nice running stream for it, so the manor sounds like it's got a stream nearby.