PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott Returns for Alien prequel.

Nenya awakens
31-07-09, 14:30
According to Variety, Ridley Scott will return to the Alien franchise with a new prequel to be written by Jon Spaihts, who pitched the idea to Twentieth Century Fox. Ridley directed the original 1979 horror-scifi flick, but didn't come back for the sequels, which all steered more towards the action-scifi genres. Not much else is known about the project since a script still has to be written.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script "Shadow 19," Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic "Passengers," which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an "Alien" reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/news/ridley-scott-returns-alien-prequel

Um.... yay! :jmp:

Candee Sparks
31-07-09, 14:36
Alien Prequel? Wasn't AVP 1 & 2 both poor attempts at making a prequel to both Alien and Predator that really didn't even piece together good to begin with? Completely broke my faith in both series. :(

EDIT:

The world isn't ready for this technology.

Wasn't that quote at the end of Requiem by Ms. Y meant that it was basically a prequel?

Nenya awakens
31-07-09, 14:42
Yeah but those films are not really considered as being cannon.

Encore
31-07-09, 14:44
Cool! :tmb:

Candee Sparks
31-07-09, 14:46
Yeah but those films are not really considered as being cannon.

Still, people are going to count it and be confused. It's a shame because they were all really good movies and ever since AVP it's just been a mess. And both are one of those series that really don't get old with installments.

stereopathic
31-07-09, 14:51
Still, people are going to count it and be confused. It's a shame because they were all really good movies and ever since AVP it's just been a mess. And both are one of those series that really don't get old with installments.

i ****ing hate the AVPs. it's like there were four alien films with the aliens slowly creeping closer and closer to earth and then along comes their bull**** of, "oh surprise! they were here the whole time!" the sheer audacity of that angers me to no end.

i, and i hope most other alien fans, don't count those as alien movies at all.

Candee Sparks
31-07-09, 14:54
i ****ing hate the AVPs. it's like there were four alien films with the aliens slowly creeping closer and closer to earth and then along comes their bull**** of, "oh surprise! they were here the whole time!" the sheer audacity of that angers me to no end.

Second that. The first one was an 'entertaining' spin-off but the second one killed it. Hollywood ruins yet another good thing for the sake of making a buck to pay actors and actresses who half the time don't deserve multi-million dollar paychecks.

TombRaiderLover
31-07-09, 15:09
Glad he's returning. :tmb:

(Now hurry up and make Blade Runner 2, Ridley. :mis:)

Rivendell
31-07-09, 15:09

I don't like the films very much, but I never thought of them like that! :(

Dark Lugia 2
31-07-09, 15:34

Couldnt have said it better myself!! :tmb:

I'm sooo glad Ridley is back for this! :D I hope he still has what he had when he directed the four alien films... :D *squee!*

snork
31-07-09, 15:38
And me who hates Alien 2 and one thing about Alien 4.

Alien 2 : So they send a mega-super-special-alienkillerteam ? They seem a lot more like a mixture between cave(wo)men and the hitchhikers guide's B-Fleet to me : stupid chavs with no more to say than Ugh! Ugh! and weapons of less effectiveness than todays weapons.
And the bull**** about going back for the little girl. Wasn't it she went back for her teddybear or something like that ? Oh GOD, no.

Alien 4 : The secret military BIO-research spaceship, in case of trouble has autopilot heading for earth ? Why on earth ? Noone, not even the most stupid anyone would have a bio-weapon-research-ship head towards earth in case of serious trouble / abandon ship.
There is absolutely no reason to do so, and every reason to not do so, I mean NO WAY!

I am a diehard SF-Fan, but only of SF of minimum standards. That's why I apreciate Alien 1 so much .
It is smart, it was NEW, characters had characters :cln: , and on top of it a strong smart woman. Leave alone the stage design, the directing, the music etc. etc.

So, basically, a prequel by Scott ?- OK, let's see what they come up with. But I am not going to watch any trailers nor script ideas, not even pictures.
I want it to be a good surprise when it comes. :D

Spong
31-07-09, 18:02
:eek::yik::eek:

What!? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Why do people keep insisting on doing this sort of thing? I don't care if it's Ridley Scott. Wasn't Alien Resurrection torturing the series enough and flogging a dead horse? Do they really think they'll be able to recreate what the first movie gave us?

It'll do nothing but ruin the iconic original.

TombRaiderLover
23-04-10, 14:50
I understand this is quite a bump, but I felt it was more necessary to resurrect this thread then to create a new one.

Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel Details Revealed

MTV spoke to the filmmaker about his new film Robin Hood and was able to uncover some details about this upcoming project. Scott says that the story has been decided, they are in their fourth draft, and that designers are already “working graphically on designs for the various requirements of the film.” In the next few weeks he’ll have to turn a ballpark budget figure to the studio, but Scott is adamant that the film is actually going to happen. What is the story about? Scott explains:

“It’s set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It’s fundamentally about going out to find out ‘Who the hell was that Space Jockey?’ The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer’s chair. … [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

In a 2002 interview, Scott wanted to return “to where the alien creatures were first found and explain how they were created.” It sounds like this idea has been incorporated into the prequel/reboot. Jon Spaihts is writing the screenplay, a job he earned after pitching the studio and production company Scott Free. Spaihts has no produced credits, but has written Shadow 19 and Passengers, both of which are also sci-fi space thrillers. Star Wars and Alien art-director Roger Christian previously confirmed that the movie will be shot in 3D.

Scott says that Weaver likely won’t have a part in the movie, but reveals the main character is a woman. Also, we should expect the film in theaters “in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012.” What gets me excited about the project is Scott’s complete honesty about how the franchise has sucked dry (about Alien vs. Predator he said “I know it’s commerce, but what a pity”) and his lack of interest for ever making a sequel. Scott claims he’s “always avoided sequels” and is only directing this film becuase he feels “there was something fresh” Good enough for me…
I'm quite looking forward to this, as well as the upcoming Anthology Blu-ray set. ;)

Nenya awakens
24-04-10, 21:47
It sounds amazing, I noticed on Sigourney Weavers Wiki page she's pencilled in to star in Alien 5 in 2011, I haven't seen any kind of announcement though..

Encore
24-04-10, 23:09
Yep, I'm looking forward too! :jmp:

igonge
24-04-10, 23:22
Second that. The first one was an 'entertaining' spin-off but the second one killed it. Hollywood ruins yet another good thing for the sake of making a buck to pay actors and actresses who half the time don't deserve multi-million dollar paychecks.

Yeah this.

I'm excited for the prequel! I am a huge fan of the Alien series.

I'm quite looking forward to this, as well as the upcoming Anthology Blu-ray set. ;)

:yik: *dies*

TombRaiderLover
24-04-10, 23:50
:yik: *dies*

It'll be a six-disc set, with various additions. The extended cut of Alien 3 will be improved, with the cast returning to re-read their dialogue for the scenes with poor sound quality.

By the way, it turns out that two prequels are being planned by Ridley.

Nenya awakens
24-04-10, 23:58
It's actually rumoured to be a Trilogy.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movie/alien-prequel

It's said that this will hopefully be the start of a new trilogy.
This will be in 3D.

Dark Lugia 2
25-04-10, 00:07
wheres the source for this anthology set thing please? :D i wonder how the re-reading will work out, cause when the cast were interviewed for the quadrilogy set their voices were way different, because of their age obviously.. They dont sound so young anymore so... :/

TombRaiderLover
25-04-10, 00:17
wheres the source for this anthology set thing please? :D i wonder how the re-reading will work out, cause when the cast were interviewed for the quadrilogy set their voices were way different, because of their age obviously.. They dont sound so young anymore so... :/

There was an article posted over at blu-ray.com.

A teaser trailer has even been released:

Wo-K7tQo4lQ

voltz
25-04-10, 00:24
Anyone remember when they showed that hole in the pilot? I'm anxious to see what popped out from there.

igonge
26-04-10, 12:43
There was an article posted over at blu-ray.com.

A teaser trailer has even been released:

Wo-K7tQo4lQ

:yik: *dies even more*

Alien Prequel Split in Two (http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/108/1086035p1.html)

Reggie
26-04-10, 12:48
I think this sounds really promising. Ridley Scott obviously has higher standards than those that made the AvP films and I haven't even watched those films to know that will be the case.

ozzman
26-04-10, 13:32
i'v always loved the Alien Films, can't wait