PDA

View Full Version : Woman Jailed For Dragging Kid On Leash--Video In Link

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 04:34
Woman Jailed For Dragging Kid on Leash (http://www.parentdish.com/2009/08/04/parenting-can-be-a-drag-for-woman-who-keeps-child-on-a-leash/)

by Tom Henderson (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/bloggers/tom-henderson/) (RSS feed) (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/bloggers/tom-henderson/rss.xml) Aug 4th 2009 3:02PM
Categories: In the news (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/category/in-the-news/), Weird but true (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/category/weird-but-true/), Extreme childhood (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/category/extreme-childhood/)
Email More (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=parentdish)

You don't need to be a Mensa member to outwit a toddler.

Yet I feel a teeny bit of pity for Melissa Catherine Smith-Means of Gaylesville, Ala. She was arrested April 21 for first-degree cruelty to children. (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%28window.open%28%27http://www.romenews-tribune.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Woman+arrested+on+child+cruelty+charge%20&id=2382383-Woman+arrested+on+child+cruelty+charge%27,%27%27,% 27resizable=yes,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbars= no,status=no,toolbar=no,fullscreen=no,dependent=no %27%29%29) A video, now going viral, shows her dragging a leashed child on the ground through a store in Paris, Ga.

The 37-year-old woman has yet to go to trial for the charge, but she is getting pummeled in the court of public opinion. Aspersions are now being cast on everything from Smith-Means' character to the character of her fellow Southerners.
I reserve judgment.

We have a court system to determine what was really happening in that store -- and in Smith-Means' head. I can well imagine a mother who ran out of options. Perhaps she told a difficult child that he would either come peacefully or she would drag him out.
When I was a reckless young lad, my own mother threatened to wash my mouth out with soap if I dropped the F-bomb. Naturally, I did it anyway. Her bluff called, she had to follow through. I can still taste the Dial lather.
I suspect Smith-Means felt she had to make good on a threat or simply ran out of ideas, patience or both. Not an excuse, just an explanation.
With my own son, who's demonstrated his share of rebellious acts, I've never done anything as extreme as this woman did. But there are a good number of parenting moments with my mule-headed child that I'm glad were never captured on video. Dancing in the laundromat with underwear on my head while singing "I Feel Pretty" is just one example. But it certainly got his attention and stopped him in his tracks. Psychological torture is always more effective -- and fun -- than brute force.
This wouldn't work on a toddler. You have to be more creative. But, if parents take all of 10 minutes to read up on how to handle tantrums (http://www.parentdish.com/2006/09/06/dealing-with-a-tantrum/)and the like, it would spare them stress and, as in the case of Smith-Means, jail time and national embarrassment.

click for full story and video (http://www.parentdish.com/2009/08/04/parenting-can-be-a-drag-for-woman-who-keeps-child-on-a-leash/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main%7Cdl2%7Clink3%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.c om%2F2009%2F08%2F04%2Fparenting-can-be-a-drag-for-woman-who-keeps-child-on-a-leash%2F)

TG_p2Y0T-d8

Now that's what I call parenting! :tmb:

tranniversary119
06-08-09, 04:36
:yik: @ that video! What a good way to get your kid out of a store! :vlol:

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 04:40
^ thanks for the heads up on the whacked out link.

I think everyone should transport their children on leashes :jmp: :D

tranniversary119
06-08-09, 04:43
^ thanks for the heads up on the whacked out link.

I think everyone should transport their children on leashes :jmp: :D

No problem :D I think so to! It would make things easier for parents :vlol:

PoseidonsDeath
06-08-09, 04:49
Kid on the leash looked a bit ill... Although that could be just because his mom is choking him.

Drone
06-08-09, 04:50
people there didn't react at all, as if it was a normal thing to do ....

Tyrannosaurus
06-08-09, 04:51
Ah, reminds me of Maddox's lovely T-shirt:

http://theworstpageintheuniverse.com/images/parent_web1.jpg

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 04:53
And I was expecting another thread of fake sympathy. Your responses are certainly . . . surprising.

scremanie
06-08-09, 04:54
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!! this has literally made my day! :vlol:

Thank you for showing us :D

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 04:58
people there didn't react at all, as if it was a normal thing to do ....

That's just as crazy as the woman who was dragging the kid.:eek:

gtkilla
06-08-09, 04:59
I really didn't find it to be all that extreme...=/ When I was young, my sister use to do that to me with a jump rope. I thought it was fun. :D

I bet this woman had a good reason to drag her kid out of the store with a rope. He was probably being a spoiled bratty snotty little devil who was doing nothing but mischief, and the mother just couldn't control him anymore. Sometimes extreme measures are necessary.

I hope the little brat has learned his lesson for misbehaving now that he caused his mother to be thrown in jail.

Squibbly
06-08-09, 05:00
Why are people laughing?

I'm glad she's getting jail time. You don't do stuff like that! She could have picked him up and taken him out of the store.

And why doesn't anyone in the video care?

:(

Tomb Raider 5194
06-08-09, 05:05
Lol it's kind of funny at first but I don't whether to feel sorry for the kid or for the mother receiving jail time. Only God knows what the kid could've done to make the mother drag him all over the place, cause sometimes kids just mess with your temper. Especially when you don't have a lot of patience. Though I do agree, maybe what she did to the kid was a little too drastic.

Spong
06-08-09, 05:07
The people laughing at the vid should be ashamed of themselves. This isn't the Epic Fail thread, that video is in no way funny :mad:

Now that's what I call parenting! :tmb:

:yik: @ that video! What a good way to get your kid out of a store! :vlol:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!! this has literally made my day! :vlol:

Thank you for showing us :D

Guess those are your opinions. Well, I think you're all retards for finding it funny.

Carbonek_0051
06-08-09, 05:08
I really don't find anything about this funny to be honest. That kind of stuff bothers me a lot. I don't care what the kid did, you never go to those extremes.

rowanlim
06-08-09, 05:09
I think she deserves the criticism from the public. Parents shouldn't be doing that to their kids. If we can accept this kind of "parental" behavior then other people will have other ideas of what is acceptable in society & this can lead to more serious & violent actions.

I don't find this funny at all.

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 05:11
The people laughing at the vid should be ashamed of themselves. This isn't the Epic Fail thread, that video is in no way funny :mad:

Ikr? I guess some here don't deserve to be parents.

scremanie
06-08-09, 05:13
A kid being dragged across the floor.

How is that not funny?

He was obviously being a little ******* and the mother had no control over him and finally gave up. If you have never handled a little kid before than you wouldn't know half the things they do. I HATE it when my little nephew is being naughty and when I try and pick him up, he goes limp and I have to drag him. He just lays there and lets his arms and legs flop, and his so heavy to drag and carry! Maybe thats what this kid done and the mother just had enough. I find it funny because of her expression and the way the kid is just lying there.

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 05:14

How is that not funny?

He was obviously being a little ******* and the mother had no control over him and finally gave up. If you have never handled a little kid before than you wouldn't know half the things they do. I HATE it when my little nephew is being naughty and when I try and pick him up, he goes limp and I have to drag him. He just lays there and lets his arms and legs flop, and his so heavy to drag and carry! Maybe thats what this kid done and the mother just had enough. I find it funny because of her expression and the way the kid is just lying there.

There is no reason to abuse a child, even if they are asking for it.

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 05:15

How is that not funny?

It's not.

And the fact that there happens to be a rope around their neck makes it even more humourless.

Spong

How is that not funny?

You are obviously an idiot.

rowanlim
@EmeraldFields: Exactly.

I've dealt with irritating kids before, picking them up & putting them at where they're supposed to sit/stand/lie works just fine without using the leash.

Carbonek_0051
06-08-09, 05:16
@Scremanie: I'm sorry but what? How is it funny? I have taken care of plenty of children, I don't care how bad they were I would never go do this to them. It's not funny in the slightest. It's called patience, learn it well. It comes with parenting.

Evan C.
06-08-09, 05:16
I can't believe my eyes.Im sorry but she is a ****ing mother ****er and should be in psicological care or arrested.**** her.

scremanie
06-08-09, 05:19
You don't have to be rude! :mad:

There is no reason to abuse a child, even if they are asking for it.
I don't like abuse of any kind, but I don't see abuse in this video. Just an angry upset mother.

It's not.

And the fact that there happens to be a rope around their neck makes it even more humourless.
Its clipped to the back of him, not around his neck.

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 05:20
I don't like abuse of any kind, but I don't see abuse in this video. Just an angry upset mother..

Then you must be blind.

If that's not abuse, then I don't know what is.

rowanlim
06-08-09, 05:21
I don't like abuse of any kind, but I don't see abuse in this video. Just an angry upset mother.

Not trying to attack you, scremanie, but I just want to point out that here we can already see there's a question on whether that can be considered abuse or not. You see an angry upset mother, I see a mother who doesn't know how to control her child & lacks patience.

It's a good thing she's going to court for this, I'm not sure about the jail sentence though, but there needs to be some check & balance, there are limits to what a parent can or can't do.

Drone
06-08-09, 05:21
I hope that people don't just waste their words here and would had stopped that woman if they were there. I absolutely hate cowards who say something but when it's time to act they do nothing and just watch like those cowards in the video

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 05:22
Its clipped to the back of him, not around his neck.Either way though, it's still abuse.

iamlaracroft

Guess those are your opinions. Well, I think you're all retards for finding it funny.

Hey Spong, you know it's against T&C to name-call and use derogatory, inflammatory language, right?
Okay, just makin' sure.

Spong
You don't have to be rude! :mad:

Don't be rude? Don't come out with crap like "A kid being dragged across the floor. How is that not funny?". I'll shut up if you do.

EDIT

Hey Spong, you know it's against T&C to name-call and use derogatory, inflammatory language, right?
Okay, just makin' sure.

And I'll happily take that on the chin if a moderator sees fit to take that action against me. Personally, I find you and others making light of child abuse far more offensive.

scremanie
06-08-09, 05:27
Then you must be blind.

If that's not abuse, then I don't know what is.

She's not physically abusing him. She's just dragging him. Its exactly the same as if she were dragging him by his arms, but she obviously has one of those freaky child leash things (which I do not like) and is dragging him like that. He does not look like he is in any pain at all, so I don't see how it is abuse. Sure, it might be cruel... to some of you. But its not hurting him.

How many times have you been dragged to your room from your parents when you were a little kid. You would kick and scream and you would let your legs and arms and your whole body go limp. I know not everyone, but I can own up to being a little ******* when I was a kid, and now I know why my mother done that to me. I would not listen. I would yell at her and scream my lungs out and grab onto things and kick and wail my arms around. I feel sorry for her now I know that she had to go through that because of me. Parenting can be hell sometimes and mothers do what they have to do.

Hairhelmet12
06-08-09, 05:34
That woman is CRAZY!

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 05:38
Don't be rude? Don't come out with crap like "A kid being dragged across the floor. How is that not funny?". I'll shut up if you do.

EDIT

And I'll happily take that on the chin if a moderator sees fit to take that action against me. Personally, I find you and others making light of child abuse far more offensive.

Some would say the flagrant misuse of the incredibly insensitive word "retard" is deplorable, as is calling those who disagree with you "idots".

If you'll notice, the subject reads "Woman Jailed For Dragging Kid On Leash--Video In Link".
There's also a thumbs-up smiley icon next to it.
She's being jailed. I hardly think her being jailed is making light of what she's done.

scremanie
06-08-09, 05:40
That woman is CRAZY, but what was the kid doing befour she started this? screaming cause he dident get what he wanted?

EXACTLY! we have no idea what he was doing beforehand! he could have broken something/screamed till he face went blue/kicked his mother/tried running away continuously/done nothing.

Either way, kids will always be kids. And I know for a fact kids are evil...

But just watch this..
dmiSPL9Dlbw

Carbonek_0051
06-08-09, 05:45
EXACTLY! we have no idea what he was doing beforehand! he could have broken something/screamed till he face went blue/kicked his mother/tried running away continuously/done nothing.

Either way, kids will always be kids. And I know for a fact kids are evil...

So because he could have done those things it's ok to drag the child across the store? You do realize there is a many number of things that could have happened. She wasn't exactly paying attention to where he was being dragged he could have hit any part of his body on something. Parents have to think about stuff like that. There is no excuse, it's called a lack of patience. And if you are a parent you should know well that patience is required no matter what your kid is doing.

And no, not all kids are evil so you can't say that as fact.

Spong
06-08-09, 05:47
Some would say the flagrant misuse of the incredibly insensitive word "retard" is deplorable, as is calling those who disagree with you "idots".

Some would, yes. As much as some would find your comment "Now that's what I call parenting! :tmb:" equally deplorable.

If you'll notice, the subject reads "Woman Jailed For Dragging Kid On Leash--Video In Link".
There's also a thumbs-up smiley icon next to it.
She's being jailed. I hardly think her being jailed is making light of what she's done.

But your comment wasn't about her being jailed, was it? You were making light of her parenting skills. And you hardly discouraged subsequent posts that found the video funny with comments like "I think everyone should transport their children on leashes :jmp::D".

scremanie
06-08-09, 05:58
So because he could have done those things it's ok to drag the child across the store? You do realize there is a many number of things that could have happened. She wasn't exactly paying attention to where he was being dragged he could have hit any part of his body on something. Parents have to think about stuff like that. There is no excuse, it's called a lack of patience. And if you are a parent you should know well that patience is required no matter what your kid is doing.

And no, not all kids are evil so you can't say that as fact.
Sometimes you run out of patience.. no matter how much you think you have, the wall comes crumbling down sooner or later. It's just a matter of time.

I don't think that she would have intentionally hurt her child. If so, then yes, I would be against that. Just don't judge the woman if you don't know what happened before the camera started to role, and for all we know that kid could be a brat in general. Most kids are. Its just a phase they go through. Kicks in between the age of 3-10. Usually settles near puberty. All kids between 3-10 have had this happen to them, its just natural. Whether the parents can stop it or not. You can have the worlds best parents, but the kids are always going to think they're right and will always want to get what they want. Even if that means emptying their lungs until their face goes blue in front of a huge crowd of people.

I'm not trying to judge the kid either, I'm just going with what I know and have seen. And you cant argue with that.

takamotosan
06-08-09, 05:59
Guys, really and truly, there are worse things to do to a child. If you were a parent, you would understand how ****ing infuriating they can be. Kids can handle it. I think she shoulda gotten a "What the **** are you doing?!" from a few people, but this isn't something she should get arrested for. I think the viral vids are punishment enough :p

Carbonek_0051
06-08-09, 06:02
Sometimes you run out of patience.. no matter how much you think you have, the wall comes crumbling down sooner or later. It's just a matter of time.

I don't think that she would have intentionally hurt her child. If so, then yes, I would be against that. Just don't judge the woman if you don't know what happened before the camera started to role, and for all we know that kid could be a brat in general. Most kids are. Its just a phase they go through. Kicks in between the age of 3-10. Usually settles near puberty. All kids between 3-10 have had this happen to them, its just natural. Whether the parents can stop it or not. You can have the worlds best parents, but the kids are always going to think they're right and will always want to get what they want. Even if that means emptying their lungs until their face goes blue in front of a huge crowd of people.

I'm not trying to judge the kid either, I'm just going with what I know and have seen. And you cant argue with that.
How old are you may I ask? Just curious.

Like I said I have delt with many kids, some have been extremely bad and I have lost patience so I will argue the point that what she did was uncalled for. Nothing a child does warrents a parent to drag the child through the store. She could have easily picked him up and carried him over her shoulder. Did she think that through? No. She decided to drag her child through a store putting him at risk of being hurt (if he wasn't already). And like I said you cannot judge every child from your own "experiences" with them. If they lose patience there are other options, but none should lead to child abuse.

Tombraiderx08
06-08-09, 06:03
thats just horrible, ive never exactly advocated people being on leashes, especially poor children. I mean, if your kid is acting so horribly then you dont chain them up like an animal or beat them till they fear you , goodness... Im trying my best to learn from all the mistakes ive seen so that i dont screw my kids up //.-

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 06:07
oh the irony.
i love how the people saying this is abusive and can potentially harm the child are the same people who think spanking a child is okay.
give your child rug burn? absolutely not!
physically strike them with your hand, belt or other instrument of pain?
absolutely yes!

:rolleyes:

it didn't appear to me that the child was exactly protesting.

erosan
06-08-09, 06:12

Like I said I have delt with many kids, some have been extremely bad and I have lost patience so I will argue the point that what she did was uncalled for. Nothing a child does warrents a parent to drag the child through the store. She could have easily picked him up and carried him over her shoulder. Did she think that through? No. She decided to drag her child through a store putting him at risk of being hurt (if he wasn't already). And like I said you cannot judge every child from your own "experiences" with them. If they lose patience there are other options, but none should lead to child abuse.

What if the kid was impossible to deal with and wouldn't let her pick him up?

Drone
06-08-09, 06:13
Im trying my best to learn from all the mistakes ive seen so that i dont screw my kids up //.-

good point

oh the irony.
i love how the people saying this is abusive and can potentially harm the child are the same people who think spanking a child is okay.

good point aswel, doublespeak is so widespread now

Carbonek_0051
06-08-09, 06:13
What if the kid was impossible to deal with and wouldn't let her pick him up?

Well let's see, how about no dragging him across the floor?

Like I said patience, even when you lose it you have to find other options. She could have picked him up even if he "refused". I doubt that women wasn't strong, obviously she's strong enough to drag him across a store.

Spong
06-08-09, 06:15

Where are you getting that from? Are you talking about members who have posted in this thread specifically? If so, I'd like to see you post quotes or links to posts just to back up what you're saying.

scremanie
06-08-09, 06:16

I can understand where your coming from, but when kids go limp... there is hell to pay. I hate it :( and you just get so angry. I mean, he looks what.. 7-8. She has been dealing with the "evil" side of him for 5 years. Unless you have a child older than that, then you most likely will not know what its like. Neither do I, seeing as how I do not have a child, but I still had to put up with my 4 year old nephew for months, and it was hell! I could not wait for him to leave (I love him, and my sister, but sometimes it was too much). And every time I, or my sisters would try to make him obey us, he would just get worse and just scream "NOOO!" and act up even more. It was extremely embarrassing in public when he done this, especially if I was alone with him and my sisters weren't with me. Everyone would just stare and I would try and pick him up and would go, like I said, limp. It was extremely hard to lift him like this as you actually had no where to hold him because you were afraid of hurting him, so I had to just hold him by his wrists (NOT tight, I would never hurt him) and drag him... it looked like I was dragging a dead body :S... That upset me so much seeing as how I would resort to this. But I was so embarrassed and so angry with him that I just wanted to get him out of the shop.

I'm not trying to say this meanly at all. I was just explaining.

I'm 17 (well, tomorrow I will be.) 07/08/1992 :)

LaraRules81
06-08-09, 06:21
To be honest, I hardly find that "abuse". To me, abuse is when a child is beaten to a bloody pulp or is mentally harmed/neglected (feel free to add more ;)) not dragging a child across a shop. Fine, the situation could've been handled better, but when your child is stressing you out in public you can't be bothered to be patient! If the child got hurt in the process, accidents happen.

My mother probably would do the same. My little brother and niece drive her up the wall and she ends up raising her voice, and, very rarely, she'll smack their leg. My older brother and sisters grew up like that, and two of them became wonderful people!

Really it depends on people's patience levels, and views. Personally, that was a harsh punishment for a mother who sorted out a problem her way. Yet, she could've handled it better.

:)

Carbonek_0051
06-08-09, 06:24
@Scremanie: I can try to see where you are coming from but personally I don't agree. Just like I don't personally like spanking. I have a 3 year old niece and a 11 month old god daughter. I also helped take care of my younger siblings when they were young, whenever I lost patience I did everything in my power not to resort to any of that because from personal experiences I know how it affects a child. IMHO I find dragging a child across a floor on a leash to be more scarring than a slap on the wrist (what would you remember longer? a tiny slap on the wrist or being on the floor dragged on a leash?). But maybe that's just me, I don't like either forms of discipline. There are always better options. Btw I am not judging you, I am just giving you my view on the subject.

takamotosan
06-08-09, 06:26
oh the irony.
absolutely yes!

it didn't appear to me that the child was exactly protesting.

Trust me when I say this: if a child is not kicking and screaming and protesting at what you're doing, they don't really care.
She's not getting accused of drugging the kid (so they would act so nonchalant ;)), so I don't really think this is something to get all up in arms over.

scremanie
06-08-09, 06:29
I have a 3 year old niece
:yik: It will begin soon... beware...http://i32.************/24ovhhk.gif

:p

Tombraiderx08
06-08-09, 06:30
oh the irony.
absolutely yes!

it didn't appear to me that the child was exactly protesting. well, i dont mean to sound cruel but, whatever it takes to get that child to realize what they are doing is wrong, do it (within reason, nothing ridiculously violent or psychotic or anything) do you know what i mean? :S

LaraRules81
06-08-09, 06:32
well, i dont mean to sound cruel but, whatever it takes to get that child to realize what they are doing is wrong, do it (within reason, nothing ridiculously violent or psychotic or anything) do you know what i mean? :S

I'm with you on that one :tmb:

KC Mraz
06-08-09, 06:37
I agree that what the woman did was extremist and that she made a terrible decision by dragging the child with that leash (obviously it wasn't her brightest moment as she did it in a cell phone store...) and that she probably needs some anger management sessions but I also think that sending her to jail is too harsh for punishment.

I know it can be a pain in the ass when a kid has a tantrum but she should have thought better on how to handle him.

And why doesn't anyone in the video care?

:(

Well, someone was concerned enough to record that and giving the tape to the police.

Johnnay
06-08-09, 06:38

+1

scremanie
06-08-09, 06:40
7G0C9uvLuQk

Link to same video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0C9uvLuQk&feature=player_embedded

..........http://i32.************/24ovhhk.gif

(If this is too horrible for some people to watch, I will delete the video and just leave the link. Not that its gruesome, some people might not like seeing babies being dropped into a net. They arrant getting injured though.)

well, i dont mean to sound cruel but, whatever it takes to get that child to realize what they are doing is wrong, do it (within reason, nothing ridiculously violent or psychotic or anything) do you know what i mean? :S

But she could have already tried those things a million times. Sometimes kids just don't listen. You think they have learned their lesson, then 20 minutes later and they're doing the same thing.. http://i32.************/24ovhhk.gif

I was exactly like that. It was not my mothers fault, nor my fathers. I thought I had the world wrapped around my little finger, I thought the same about my parents too. Oh boy was I wrong. I love my mother dearly, and I feel sorry for truly doing that to her. Thank god there is mothers day, so kids like him, and kids like I was can grow up and love their mother with gifts and homemade cards :hug:

scremanie
06-08-09, 06:49
(whoops, did not notice post above. PLEASE DELETE)

LaraRules81
06-08-09, 06:50
7G0C9uvLuQk

Link to same video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0C9uvLuQk&feature=player_embedded

..........http://i32.************/24ovhhk.gif

(If this is too horrible.. if so, I will delete the video and just leave the link.)

Now that is sick, yet it is deemed fine. Excuses excuses....

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 06:54
Where are you getting that from? Are you talking about members who have posted in this thread specifically? If so, I'd like to see you post quotes or links to posts just to back up what you're saying.

lol you asked for it:

I'd have no qualms whatsoever in whacking my child round the back of the head if he/she disobeyed me or was naughty. No government on Earth or hippy group is going to tell me how to raise my own kids.

But I can say all of that quite happily because I never ever want kids.

^^I see it as a way of instilling an understanding of responsibility and consequence into a child. I'm not saying I'd smash their face in, I'm not a brutal thug, but I think a healthy whack now and then helps get it through to a child that (a) the world doesn't revolve around them, and (b) there is consequence for certain actions (which includes believing (a)).

And you're absolutely entitled to bring your children up that way if you see fit :)

If I have my own children (which I hope I don't) I'll mete out the discipline that I see appropriate, and that includes smacking them if the do something bad. I'm not saying it's something I'd do the second they did something wrong. First I'd verbally ask, then warn, then smack if all the others are ignored.

Pot, meet Kettle:

EDIT

Some would, yes. As much as some would find your comment "Now that's what I call parenting! :tmb:" equally deplorable.

But your comment wasn't about her being jailed, was it? You were making light of her parenting skills. And you hardly discouraged subsequent posts that found the video funny with comments like "I think everyone should transport their children on leashes :jmp::D".

:whi:

Would you like more proof "just to back up" what I'm saying or will this suffice?

takamotosan
06-08-09, 06:58
lol you asked for it:
pot, meet kettle:

Would you like more proof "just to back up" what i'm saying or will this suffice?

Ahem.
marry me?

:D

LaraRules81
06-08-09, 07:00
Ahem.
marry me?

Aww, happy moment *sheds a tear*

scremanie
06-08-09, 07:01
lol you asked for it:

Pot, meet Kettle:

Would you like more proof "just to back up" what I'm saying or will this suffice?

Remind me not to get on your bad side... :o

jackles
06-08-09, 09:07
ahhh a nice emotive topic...

no.1 Stop sniping at each other and have a discussion on a mature level please.

no.2 I AM a parent and also work in the education field so have been looking after kids for a long time. Now lets look at the cold facts. 'Leash' is a emotive term...over here that would be called baby walking straps. I figure that child is in the 'terrible twos' range...a age when my own little treasure often threw himself on the floor and refused to move. (In my case I stepped over him and carried on, when he realised I wasn't going to take any notice he jumped up fast enough.) Maybe the woman just had the same situation and decided to just pull the kid along. Stupid of her but being a parent doesn't come with any exams or special skills. tbh I thought from the thread title that it was a child wearing a dog leash.

Now in my job I have a few times had to report abuse of various sorts and there are degrees of neglect and abuse. This woman was stupid but it looks like she is being punished and it could have been a momentary snap. (Sometimes your kids drive you mad, it takes a lot of patience and calm to cope) Could have been worse she could have been beating the child with the straps....maybe I am just disillusioned by what I have seen in real life.

I have never hit my child....I didn't need to or wanted to. But there are a lot of parents who haven't a clue around.

tomblover
06-08-09, 09:10
*Can someone insert a moderately laughing smiley, not something that's tearing down the house, here? :p*

Well, that's one way of being a parent... :whi: :eek: Just dragging the kiddo along like a shopping trolley. :vlol:

EDIT: @jackles: Yeah... I thought the topic starter meant like a dog leash, as well... o_o Pulling the kid might be a bit on the harsh side, though. Like you said, she could've just ignored him, I've seen many mothers just step over their kids. :p

scremanie
06-08-09, 09:44

lol, sorry this is random.. but I must know how old you are now... lol... :D

Carbonek_0051
06-08-09, 09:45
lol, sorry this is random.. but I must know how old you are now... lol... :D

19, 20 in September.:)

Super Badnik
06-08-09, 09:54
Well it was hard not to giggle at the video, it's not as if the kid was actually hurt and it's not as if he couldn't get up, he was obviously being a brat. But dragging him out of the store was probably a bit of a no no for a parent. Anyway, i think Jail time is a bit too much, it's not like she beat him, i remember plenty of times as a child my parents grabbed my arm and yanked me away. I'm thinking thats probably what was going on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0C9uvLuQk&feature=player_embedded
:eek:
Now that is cruel. Those poor kids look like they're traumatised, and it looks like they're going to be for a very long time to.

Punaxe
06-08-09, 10:20
(...) But she could have already tried those things a million times. Sometimes kids just don't listen. (...)

I find it reasonable to assume this not just because it's a kid and kids tend to be like that, but moreso because she has a leash in the first place. I think it takes a 'special' child if a parent decides such a thing in necessary.

Furthermore I'm pretty sure the child could have just gotten up. It's not that difficult. And as others have pointed out, if the child really disliked it the least he could have done is kick or scream, but he was just lying there. I too have been dragged over the floor from one place to another because I didn't go voluntarily. I liked being dragged like that. I see no signs why this child isn't enjoying it either. Therefore I can't agree that it's abuse. Show me the burns, show me a child that really hated it at the time, and only then we can decide.

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 10:24
I find it reasonable to assume this not just because it's a kid and kids tend to be like that, but moreso because she has a leash in the first place. I think it takes a 'special' child if a parent decides such a thing in necessary.

Furthermore I'm pretty sure the child could have just gotten up. It's not that difficult. And as others have pointed out, if the child really disliked it the least he could have done is kick or scream, but he was just lying there. I too have been dragged over the floor from one place to another because I didn't go voluntarily. I liked being dragged like that. I see no signs why this child isn't enjoying it either. Therefore I can't agree that it's abuse. Show me the burns, show me a child that really hated it at the time, and only then we can decide.

couldn't agree more :tmb:

scremanie
06-08-09, 10:47

:hug: Agree.

Squibbly
06-08-09, 10:53
This thread is getting ridiculous.

Bottom line: If that's the only way you can handle your child, you shouldn't be a parent.

I work in the childcare/educational field; I deal with the worst types of behavior you could imagine almost daily because we have some children with problems. Do we drag kids around on the floor? NO! It would have been simple to pick that kid up and carry him out. I've done it many times, with kids much bigger, and much more able to kick and scream than that child in the video.

As for him having a "leash" to begin with... those go around the child's hand if they have a tendency to run off, which is common for a lot of children. They are obviously not supposed to be used like this! They're to stop the child from getting lost.

I absolutely love how the same people who are entirely against spanking think that dragging your child across the floor like that is so much more acceptable. Are you kidding me? Is he a dog? I bet if a video came out with someone doing that to an animal, you'd all be freaking out about it.

I'd be more scarred over my mother or father dragging me around on the floor on a leash than a light spank on the bum.

Never have children, that's all I can tell you.

sheepydee
06-08-09, 10:56
wow... some parent she is , all kids misbehave sometime or another if ur in a shop with them , no need to drag them out of there like that....

ohwell she got wot she deserved thats all there is to it

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 11:13
Even if don't see the humor in that, and I'm always laughing at videos of people getting hurt.

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 11:46
Even if don't see the humor in that, and I'm always laughing at videos of people getting hurt.

thing is, i really don't think the kid was getting hurt.
he wasn't protesting, he wasn't screaming "ouch, this hurts, please stop" and he wasn't trying to let go or get out of the get up/leash.

have none of you ever been pulled around on a grocery cart or a skateboard or a bike or a jump rope or by your parent's leg? sure the mom in the vid looks to be impatient or at her wits end--but do you think the kid cares? he thinks it's a fun ride! weird, strange, crazy sensations--the floor is moving out from underneath you, the ceiling is flashing past you, and you're laying down letting mom do all the leg work.
i loved it whenever my parents did stuff like that. it was fun.
like wheeeeeeeeeee!!! :jmp: FUN? anyone remember what that is??

and a lot of people are confusing her dragging the kid with dragging the kid out of the store. she's not.
she's just dragging him to the other section of Verizon Wireless.
literally dragging him out of the store, over metal thresholds, cement sidewalks, blacktop parking lots full of broken glass and rocks and drug needles and trash and debris and god knows what else is entirely different from pulling him around on c a r p e t.
it's polyester for crying out loud.

Atlantisfreak666
06-08-09, 11:49
I'm sorry but;
:vlol:

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 11:51
There wasn't even any sound on the video, so there's no way of knowing whether the kid was protesting or not. You can't just assume he enjoyed it because he wasn't doing anything. :rolleyes:

I still can't believe some people find this funny. How pathetic.

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 11:54
There wasn't even any sound on the video, so there's no way of knowing whether the kid was protesting or not. You can't just assume he enjoyed it because he wasn't doing anything. :rolleyes:

jesus, did you even read the story?
please stop with the insults. if you think it's pathetic, don't post. no one's forcing you to.

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 11:54
I really don't find anything about this funny to be honest. That kind of stuff bothers me a lot. I don't care what the kid did, you never go to those extremes.Oh trust me, that is not extreme. :) I can say that from experience.

A bit extreme for jailing her though, but I guess that happens when people are so overly protective: Dare to even touch the kid and you're a bad parent!

I do believe that some respect should be taught to children, even if it means a spank (that is not abuse in my opinion) and I personally am sick of those tv nannies who believe you can do magicks with just.. being a snobby nanny who criticizes the parents.

As for her action, I don't know what to think of it. It IS both hilarious and yet wrong. Instead of leash she should've carried the kid.

I still can't believe some people find this funny. How pathetic.Much apreciated :)

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 11:59
jesus, did you even read the story?
please stop with the insults. if you think it's pathetic, don't post. no one's forcing you to.Yes, I did read the story and I don't think it can be just assumed that it didn't harm him. It's abuse, and that's why I think it's pathetic that so many people find it funny. Whenever stories of animals being abused get posted on here everyone is in an uproar, yet when its a child it's somehow funny.

Oh yeah, because you don't insult people?

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 12:06
I honestly don't know why I even bother taking people off my ignore list. I'm always reminded why they're there in the first place.

I find it hard to believe that those of you who say this is abuse were never pulled around on a bike/rollerskates/jump rope/ parent's leg as a child.
Seriously? You never laid on a blanket or a towel while someone pulled you around on it?

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 12:07
Edit: Agreed with IamLara. I was dragged as a kid on a blanket and on snow and what not and I found it fun. Of course this is a different case.Yes, I did read the story and I don't think it can be just assumed that it didn't harm him. It's abuse, and that's why I think it's pathetic that so many people find it funny. Whenever stories of animals being abused get posted on here everyone is in an uproar, yet when its a child it's somehow funny.

Oh yeah, because you don't insult people?I wonder why.. Maybe because some, if not most humans seem to think they are superior to any other life form on earth and humands don't always seem to respect animals the way they respect humans. Nah? Of course not. We're just a bunch of hippies.

And to be honest, the kid didn't seem to react, hell maybe the kid even thought it was fun in a way. Yes, it's not the best way of parenting and no one should do it, but to jail one for that? That is pathetic.

Would I do that to my kid? No, of course not. I might spank my kid for doing something really bad just to teach what is wrong, but I would never abuse.

jackles
06-08-09, 12:09
The kid is wearing something like this

baby reins (http://www.mothercare.com/Clippasafe-Harness-Baby-Jungle/dp/B000IEUW0G/sr=1-4/qid=1249560365/ref=sr_1_4/277-2240208-8308961?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core)

They are to help kids walk safely. Nothing to do with being cruel or a punishment, just a walking aid. You can also use them to keep your kids in pushchairs.

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 12:13
I find it hard to believe that those of you who say this is abuse were never pulled around on a bike/rollerskates/jump rope/ parent's leg as a child.
Seriously? You never laid on a blanket or a towel while someone pulled you around on it?I was never dragged around the floor of a shop by my mother. I didn't know that was an ordinary thing.

I wonder why.. Maybe because some, if not most humans seem to think they are superior to any other life form on earth and humands don't always seem to respect animals the way they respect humans. Nah? Of course not. We're just a bunch of hippies.Ok then, but surely then people would be horrified at both instead of being shocked at one and just laughing at another? That was my point. Why do so many people here get shocked at stories of animal abuse but simply laugh at stories of children getting abused?

Without sound on this video there's absolutely no way of knowing whether the kid was laughing, crying or neither.

Paddy
06-08-09, 12:16

I concur, not the least bit funny IMO

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 12:17
Ok then, but surely then people would be horrified at both instead of being shocked at one and just laughing at another? That was my point. Why do so many people here get shocked at stories of animal abuse but simply laugh at stories of children getting abused?

Without sound on this video there's absolutely no way of knowing whether the kid was laughing, crying or neither.If the kid was crying, screaming and begging to get off it, then it would be abuse. But that doesn't mean that if a kid isn't crying or anything when being physically abused that is not abuse.

I'm sure a lot more people would've been shocked if the form of abuse was hitting.

In no way do I approve physical abuse or whatever abuse, but I also cannot stand when giving a spank is thought to be bad parenting and bad abuse.

Paddy
06-08-09, 12:18
Dragging the kid on that video really did look bad, no matter what people think of it, I really dont think that was a way to settle the situation.

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 12:24
If the kid was crying, screaming and begging to get off it, then it would be abuse. But that doesn't mean that if a kid isn't crying or anything when being physically abused that is not abuse.Obviously. :confused:

Paddy
06-08-09, 12:25
If that thing was around the kids neck how can it not be abuse to drag it, that could choke the kid :(

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 12:27
^ That thing was around the kids chest/torso like Jackie pointed out. Then I would see the reason for jailing the mother as it is a very bad case of abuse. Obviously. :confused:
I'm glad we agree on something, yet you seem to ignore my point of people being more shocked if it were like that.

Hell I've been choked, I've been hit, I've been sat on and I've been scarred with belt hits by my own mother.. that is more shocking than this.

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 12:28
What, if the child was being hit? If that were the case I'd find it just as shocking as this.

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 12:29
What, if the child was being hit? If that were the case I'd find it just as shocking as this.
Just being dragged on the floor, not even hard/fast? Not even being choked?

Wow.. totally shocking.

jackles
06-08-09, 12:30
Yeah if you look at the video carefully you can see it is wearing reins like in the link I posted. The reins are at the kids back...and I also said that from the thread title I had assumed that it was a dogs leash which is why I posted the link so that if people are not familiar with them they can get an idea.

Paddy
06-08-09, 12:31
Yeah if you look at the video carefully you can see it is wearing reins like in the link I posted. The reins are at the kids back...and I also said that from the thread title I had assumed that it was a dogs leash which is why I posted the link so that if people are not familiar with them they can get an idea.

Fair enough, just spotted your link.

Cristina
06-08-09, 12:57
Lmfao!!! http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/geno/rofl.gif

Marianna12
06-08-09, 12:59
Omg, poor kid....:(:(:(

thecentaur
06-08-09, 13:24
Wow. What struck me as even more shocking was the lack of emotion anyone else in the store had. I would've been like "wth are you doing?" :/

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 13:28
Just being dragged on the floor, not even hard/fast? Not even being choked?

Wow.. totally shocking.You make it sound as if I condone hitting children when I most certainly don't.

sheepydee
06-08-09, 13:31
she's just a plain old child dragger-across-the-shop-floorer... ridiuclous

Hazel
06-08-09, 13:41
Hehe thatís kinda funny but also incredible meanÖI don't know whether to laugh or stare in shock...whatís wrong with picking the child up and carrying it kicking and screaming out of the store? Hehe, the kid looks dead!!

I mean, I used to be leashed as a kid because I would run away. You know, in one of those loop and lead safety harness you have round your hand. like this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~joliecarrot/Kid%20on%20a%20leash.JPG

http://www.snappysprouts.com/images/products/thumbs/teal_leash.jpg

I loved my leash...was awesome!!:D

Dennis's Mom
06-08-09, 13:45
Watching that vid, I can honestly say I don't see abuse. Unless the kid's asleep, he could have stood up at any time and walked out. It looks extreme, but the child is in no real danger of being hurt. It looks to me like a tantrum that's gone on too long, and mom has other things to do than allow her child to take any more control of the day.

There comes a point in parenting where talking, cajoling, and commiserating don't work, and you have to move on to threats. "Get up right now or I swear I will drag you out of the store!" the mom whispered furiously. After five minutes of threatening that, all while checking your watch, knowing you've got five less minutes to get to that doctor's appointment, you simply have to follow through. You, the parent, have to take charge because, trust me, the child will if you don't.

Of course, this mom showed bad judgment since there's camera's everywhere. Every one wants parents to control their children, but no one wants the children to be controlled. Yes, yes, there the "Talking, Cajoling, and Commiserating" tactics, but what people don't realize is these children are not acting out of any Deep Seated Emotional Turmoil. This is a Power Play. Yes, those darling children are just as interested in Ruling the World as every adult is.;) We all try the TCC techniques first, but once you've identified the power play, you've got to take control.

ajrich17901
06-08-09, 13:50
This is quite disturbing, It urks me everytime I see someone who has there child on a leash. To be fair it should be against the law -__-

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 13:51
You make it sound as if I condone hitting children when I most certainly don't.Erm, no I don't? I only pointed out that you think it's abuse when she's just dragging him on the floor without anything bad happening to him except for a carpet burn if even that. She's not dragging him hard, fast or being brutal/abusive.. Just a tired mother who's fed up.

stereopathic
06-08-09, 13:51
Watching that vid, I can honestly say I don't see abuse. Unless the kid's asleep, he could have stood up at any time and walked out. It looks extreme, but the child is in no real danger of being hurt. It looks to me like a tantrum that's gone on too long, and mom has other things to do than allow her child to take any more control of the day.

There comes a point in parenting where talking, cajoling, and commiserating don't work, and you have to move on to threats. "Get up right now or I swear I will drag you out of the store!" the mom whispered furiously. After five minutes of threatening that, all while checking your watch, knowing you've got five less minutes to get to that doctor's appointment, you simply have to follow through. You, the parent, have to take charge because, trust me, the child will if you don't.

Of course, this mom showed bad judgment since there's camera's everywhere. Every one wants parents to control their children, but no one wants the children to be controlled. Yes, yes, there the "Talking, Cajoling, and Commiserating" tactics, but what people don't realize is these children are not acting out of any Deep Seated Emotional Turmoil. This is a Power Play. Yes, those darling children are just as interested in Ruling the World as every adult is.;) We all try the TCC techniques first, but once you've identified the power play, you've got to take control.

yep. agree on all points. especially the highlighted part. :tmb:

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 13:58
Erm, no I don't? I only pointed out that you think it's abuse when she's just dragging him on the floor without anything bad happening to him except for a carpet burn if even that. She's not dragging him hard, fast or being brutal/abusive.. Just a tired mother who's fed up.Well yeah, especially since we don't know for sure whether or not this kid was suffering and whether or not he was throwing a tantrum 20 seconds before the video was recorded.

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 14:04
Well yeah, especially since we don't know for sure whether or not this kid was suffering and whether or not he was throwing a tantrum 20 seconds before the video was recorded.Sure have it your way then.

Oh my God! Won't somebody think of the children!? God bless them! Take the child away from her! She is a monster! She has to be!
God knows what happened really, but she is so disturbed!

:tmb:

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 14:05
^ lol!! :vlol:

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 14:05
Oh my God! Won't somebody think of the children!? God bless them! Take the child away from her! She is a monster! She has to be!When did I say she was a monster and that the children should be taken away from her? All I've said so far is that I think it's abuse.

When I opened up this thread I thought everyone would be screaming for blood and calling for her death (like they do in other threads), instead people are just laughing. It's like there's no in between for some people.

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 14:06
When did I say she was a monster and that the children should be taken away from her? All I've said so far is that I think it's abuse.
You don't understand, do you? I've explained it before. I use sarcasm to show the other side of the argument.

irjudd
06-08-09, 14:07
*shrug* Those harness-style kid-leashes are commonplace as far as I've seen. If your brat is throwing a tantrum in a store over something, I can see how dragging could happen.

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 14:08
You don't understand, do you? I've explained it before. I use sarcasm to show the other side of the argument.Yeah, I know you do. Apart from it being rather rude it's also way over the top.

Ikas90
06-08-09, 14:09
I'm more shocked by some of the responses in this thread. This is why the world is coming to what it's coming to.

And I'm against all forms of child abuse. This woman deserves what she got.

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 14:11
Yeah, I know you do. Apart from it being rather rude it's also way over the top.Lesson one: never get offended by sarcastic comments.
Lesson two: Learn to see the otherside of the arguments and don't think your view is always correct.
Lesson three: Over the top is what it is. Lets you see more clearly the other side of the story.

Now what you say is that we don't know what happened before the video was shot and you give the impression that the mother was abusing the kid worse before it. Now here is the other side: Nothing else happened and people just like to presume that she was choking the kid because she held him in a ''leash''.

PoseidonsDeath
06-08-09, 14:12
Ugh, I think it's a terrible thing, and the Mods need to remove all these arguments.

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 14:14
Ugh, I think it's a terrible thing, and the Mods need to remove all these arguments.Arguments are a part of a forum. As long as it's not insulting the other member.

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 14:15
Lesson two: Learn to see the otherside of the arguments and don't think your view is always correct.
Lesson three: Over the top is what it is. Lets you see more clearly the other side of the story.
Excuse me, but you're the one flaming people for thinking this was abuse.

Mr.Burns
06-08-09, 14:17
Oh give it a rest.

TombRaiderCool
06-08-09, 14:18
I donít think I would call the motherís actions abusive as such, if you could even call it that, on the other hand I can certainly say it was unorthodox and an example of bad parenting. Parents shouldn't be doing that to their kids, especially not in a public store. It isnít that hard to pick him up if he had a tantrum and walk out of the store, even if he was screaming and kicking I would never consider doing that to my kid if I had one. I did find it shocking that from the videoís perspective, that nobody seemed to care that she was dragging her child across the floor and that somebody went as far to video this. :rolleyes:

Minty Mouth
Kid probably deserved it. :s

george_croft
Well, she certainly deserves it. Child abuse is sickening, in all forms, mental or physical. If you're forced to drag your kid out of the store by a leash, you're not a good enough parent to have kids anyway.

Dennis's Mom
06-08-09, 14:19
Well yeah, especially since we don't know for sure whether or not this kid was suffering and whether or not he was throwing a tantrum 20 seconds before the video was recorded.

Ignorance of the facts or correct context has never stopped forums from delivering swift, reactionary, opinionated justice. Where would the world be without our self-righteous, knee-jerk reactions? :D

Minty Mouth
06-08-09, 14:20
Well, she certainly deserves it. Child abuse is sickening, in all forms, mental or physical. If you're forced to drag your kid out of the store by a leash, you're not a good enough parent to have kids anyway.

I think calling this child abuse is a bit rash.

george_croft
06-08-09, 14:21
I think calling this child abuse is a bit rash.

Do you really think court would sentence her to jail if it wasn't?

Mr.Burns
06-08-09, 14:21
Ignorance of the facts or correct context has never stopped forums from delivering swift, reactionary, opinionated justice. Where would the world be without our self-righteous, knee-jerk reactions? :D
Or the anonymity that the internet provides, allows for scathing comments from people who in real life would probably either not have the balls or have enough common sense to make such comments. Forums are an interesting sociological/psychological petri dish. :)

MiCkiZ88
06-08-09, 14:22
Excuse me, but you're the one flaming people for thinking this was abuse.Where? I've not attacked anyone personally. Only pointed out how it can be seen as both abuse and not abuse at all. Not flaming at all :)

I agree with Dennis's mom on this one.
Oh give it a rest. Apologies if broken any rules.

Minty Mouth
06-08-09, 14:22
Do you really think court would sentence her to jail if it wasn't?

Of course. The system is a mess.

iamlaracroft
06-08-09, 14:24
Or the anonymity that the internet provides, allows for scathing comments from people who in real life would probably either not have the balls or have enough common sense to make such comments. Forums are an interesting sociological/psychological petri dish. :)

:tmb:

george_croft
06-08-09, 14:25
Of course. The system is a mess.

Lol. There's a video of it happening, and for whatever reason the mother did it, i believe it was wrong. I don't care if the kid screamed his lungs out or slapped her 10 seconds before that was shot, that's just not the way to treat a child.

Quasimodo
06-08-09, 14:26
*shrug* Those harness-style kid-leashes are commonplace as far as I've seen. If your brat is throwing a tantrum in a store over something, I can see how dragging could happen.
I would've just picked him up and carried him out like he was a little piglet :p

Minty Mouth
06-08-09, 14:30
Lol. There's a video of it happening, and for whatever reason the mother did it, i believe it was wrong. I don't care if the kid screamed his lungs out or slapped her 10 seconds before that was shot, that's just not the way to treat a child.

How would you have dealt with it then?

The mother probably had had enough of the childs bad behaviour, and had given them enough chances.

As someone posted earlier, people want children to be well bahaved, but dont want to see them disciplined.

If you saw a child creating a fuss, screaming and shouting in a mall or whatever, you would think:

"That person should do something about that child, they're out of control"

As soon as someone starts to try and solve the issue, poeple will think:

"That person has terrible parenting skills, they are forced to discipline their child in public"

Youre damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Its a little extreme to drag a child across the floor like that, but whats stopping the child from getting up and walking behind her? s/he was just being stubborn, and obviously not really in any severe discomfort.

Child abuse it is not, careless, definitely.

tranniversary119
06-08-09, 14:34
He was probably throwing a tantrum are always throws tantrums. The mother was either embarrassed are fed up, so she dragged him out of the store. Why there's a leash on the kid on the first place, probably so he doesn't run away from her. Now this doesn't mean I think that's right, she could have picked him up and carried him out.

dizzydoil
06-08-09, 14:40

The mother probably had had enough of the childs bad behaviour, and had given them enough chances.

As someone posted earlier, people want children to be well bahaved, but dont want to see them disciplined.

If you saw a child creating a fuss, screaming and shouting in a mall or whatever, you would think:

"That person has terrible parenting skills, they are forced to discipline their child in public"

Its a little extreme to drag a child across the floor like that, but whats stopping the child from getting up and walking behind her? s/he was just being stubborn, and obviously not really in any severe discomfort.

:tmb:.

george_croft
06-08-09, 14:41

I'm five times the size of the kid, i would of picked him/her up, driven all the way home and explain to the kid why whatever he/she did was wrong.

It's all just lack of parenting skills, really. Even you yourself said it was an careless act, and careless acts like that, might not always seem like an obvious act of abuse, but it sends the wrong message to the child. If that's how she usually treats her kid, it sends him/her a strong message that will probably leave a scar for the rest of their life. I know way too many people who can pin-point aspects of their personality and look back at their childhood and understand what caused it. It's abuse in a different kind of level, and is just as mentally scarring as slapping or hitting your child.

remote91
06-08-09, 14:43
What parent hasn't gotten fed up, pushed to the limit or been completely enraged because of something that their child has done in public?

At least she wasn't hitting the kid, poor woman just wanted to get out of there quickly with the brat.

Jin Uzuki
06-08-09, 14:44
I'm sorry but I don't find it funny at all.

VonCroy360
06-08-09, 14:51
"That person has terrible parenting skills, they are forced to discipline their child in public

Well, she could have taught her child to behave better in the first place, though she's probably not capable of that if this is what she treats her kids like.

I personally think this is absolutely awful.

stereopathic
06-08-09, 15:04
Well, she could have taught her child to behave better in the first place, though she's probably not capable of that if this is what she treats her kids like.

I personally think this is absolutely awful.

it really doesn't matter how good of a parent you are, all kids throw tantrums. there's nothing you can preemptively do about it. they want to have more control over their lives and they throw a fit when they're frustrated and at the end of their rope, even in public places.

Candee Sparks
06-08-09, 15:09
I want to light that woman on fire. Having your children on 'leashes' or harnesses isn't uncommon in some places but if I saw that I would have started screaming at that woman. I was working at DEB, a dress store and I once saw a woman start kicking and beating her 8 year old child to the point where the kid was screaming and I almost lost my job and had charges pressed against me because I threw the woman against a dress rack and slapped her. I don't like kids but nothing ****es me off more than abusive parents. If you can't treat your kid right, shut thy legs and invest in condoms.

*laralover*
06-08-09, 15:13
As much as i hate kids :p i find this pretty sick....

TRhalloween
06-08-09, 15:23
I want to light that woman on fire. Having your children on 'leashes' or harnesses isn't uncommon in some places but if I saw that I would have started screaming at that woman. I was working at DEB, a dress store and I once saw a woman start kicking and beating her 8 year old child to the point where the kid was screaming and I almost lost my job and had charges pressed against me because I threw the woman against a dress rack and slapped her. I don't like kids but nothing ****es me off more than abusive parents. If you can't treat your kid right, shut thy legs and invest in condoms.

So your answer to that was physically abusing a woman?

GameGlitcher77
06-08-09, 15:29
That was ****ed up. Not even funny. Unless the kid has an extreme case of Alberger's a dragging your child through the store on a harness is just unacceptable.:mad::p And I couldn't watch the rest of that baby-throwing in India video. That's probally harmful to their physlogical devolpment.:(
Which is one reason some of them end up working at Dunkin' Donuts:whi:

Candee Sparks
06-08-09, 15:35
So your answer to that was physically abusing a woman?

I don't believe in gender boundaries and that it is immoral to hit a woman. Her child was covered in bruises, cuts and gashes under her clothes with broken ribs. I feel no immoral consequence for hitting women and resorted to use violence to get her away from the child and wait for security and the police to arrive so if that's what your working at, it doesn't work on me so don't waste your time.

joarvallen
06-08-09, 15:35
why not just grab the kids arm and just drag him out of there?.. cuz THAT was so wrong in every way...

mau3genius
06-08-09, 15:44
Yikes. I don't know the details, but the child doesn't seem to be in pain at all, so it's probably fair to say that putting the woman in jail for "first-degree cruelty" is a bit of an exaggeration. She just had enough of the kid's tantrums I'm guessing?
I love the way everyone here has a lot of suggestions to make about how to deal with a kid being rebellious (lol), that probably wouldn't work in real life.
Like, for example, a) Trying to take the kid home and explaining him/her that what he/she did was wrong and he/she shouldn't do it again. WTF? you wish it was that easy! or b) Trying to pick up the kid. Like he/she won't bite/beat/spit you.
Seriously though, how many of us here posting are parents? Let me guess... the 2%?
And how many us here posting know the actual situation (before the video was recorded)?
I think everyone is being too judgemental with very little information :p

Minty Mouth
06-08-09, 15:51
it really doesn't matter how good of a parent you are, all kids throw tantrums. there's nothing you can preemptively do about it. they want to have more control over their lives and they throw a fit when they're frustrated and at the end of their rope, even in public places.
Yes
Yikes. I don't know the details, but the child doesn't seem to be in pain at all, so it's probably fair to say that putting the woman in jail for "first-degree cruelty" is a bit of an exaggeration. She just had enough of the kid's tantrums I'm guessing?
I love the way everyone here has a lot of suggestions to make about how to deal with a kid being rebellious (lol), that probably wouldn't work in real life.
Like, for example, a) Trying to take the kid home and explaining him/her that what he/she did was wrong and he/she shouldn't do it again. WTF? you wish it was that easy! or b) Trying to pick up the kid. Like he/she won't bite/beat/spit you.
Seriously though, how many of us here posting are parents? Let me guess... the 2%?
And how many us here posting know the actual situation (before the video was recorded)?
I think everyone is being too judgemental with very little information :p
GOD YES!

Its obvious some people here have a severely rose tinted view of parenthood.

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 15:56
GOD YES!

Its obvious some people here have a severely rose tinted view of parenthood.

But but... everything looks so pretty.:(

Draco
06-08-09, 16:22
I watched the video several times and I didn't see anything to arrest anyone over.

x2crazyidiot
06-08-09, 16:37

completely agreed.
It's not that nice, but meh, it happens. I used to have a 'leash', and my mum used to drag me out of a store (usually Toys R Us :p) when I really acted up. Sure, she didn't drag me on the floor, but that was because I was too busy waving my arms and screaming at the height of my voice. But if I was one of those children that just went limp, I probably would've been dragged out on the floor.
It's not abuse at all in my eyes. It's just a way of getting your bratty child out of a store before you die of embarrassment and people judge you for being a bad parent because you won't buy them a toy or whatever. I see it happening ALL the time.
And to be honest I think some members on this thread are taking it completely out of proportion. The mum snapped, like all parents do. Don't judge something before you actually know what happened

Dark Lugia 2
06-08-09, 16:46
I cant tell how the kid is being dragged in the video, it coulda been by his wrist? But if it was by his neck, then I'm glad the mother gets jail time, if its true. Thats far too dangerous and the wrist woulda been just as efficient im sure.

Edit: Ah, baby reins... thats another story. I can see how itd be fun and comfy being dragged with those reins strapped across your back :p... as gruesome as that sounds :S. I didnt find the video funny though, cause you cant tell for sure without sound.

miss.haggard
06-08-09, 17:25
I really didn't find it to be all that extreme...=/ When I was young, my sister use to do that to me with a jump rope. I thought it was fun. :D

I bet this woman had a good reason to drag her kid out of the store with a rope. He was probably being a spoiled bratty snotty little devil who was doing nothing but mischief, and the mother just couldn't control him anymore. Sometimes extreme measures are necessary.

I hope the little brat has learned his lesson for misbehaving now that he caused his mother to be thrown in jail.

But the reason he is like that is maybe because the mother didnt punish him right! I know if that was me, my mom would have bent me over her knee and given me a good whippin right in front of everyone!

takamotosan
06-08-09, 18:14
Did anyone ask the child's opinion of what happened?
I think that could clear the whole damn thing up.
If the kid said they had fun, or they weren't being hurt, LET THE ***** GO.

The truth will set you free ;)

1upMushroom
06-08-09, 19:36
I have been in a store when a child throws a tantrum.

I think the people in the video aren't reacting, because they all saw the tantrum.

A bit extreme perhaps, but I know about tantrums!

Rai
06-08-09, 19:40
I see an harassed mother who's just about had enough of her tantrum having child. Maybe not the best reaction by dragging him by his child harness across the floor, but maybe she'd already tried just about everything else she knew? I've been in a situation with my son in a shop before and it is mortifying! You really just want to get out of the shop asap and away from the stares. What she needs is maybe a talk with a social worker to see if everything is all right and some tips on how to handle things should it happen again, but being arrested is extreme. It certainly wasn't abuse. Pulling the child by his arms would probably hurt him more than pulling him with the harness. It's hard to tell for sure, but he didn't look too distressed by this.

peeves
06-08-09, 20:36
That video just made my day by cracking me up :vlol: LMAO Well you can do that to a pet such as cat dog or rat perhaps but not child.

scremanie
06-08-09, 23:15
That video just made my day by cracking me up :vlol: LMAO Well you can do that to a pet such as cat dog or rat perhaps but not child.

LOL! poor dog and cat! that would hurt them, with the collars being around their necks and all :(. I would never drag my dog like that, it would hurt him.
(I don't put leashes on cats and rats.. :s)

And to those of you who see this and are thinking "OMG! you hypocrite!! same thing happens to the child! THINK OF HIM!!" well... the child doesn't have it around his neck, just his torso. So it would not be choking him, and he does not look like he is in physical pain.

Love2Raid
06-08-09, 23:49
If you aren't capable of raising kids, don't have them. I wonder what she would say if I tied her hair to a horses tail and kicked it in the butt.

scremanie
06-08-09, 23:56
If you aren't capable of raising kids, don't have them. I wonder what she would say if I tied her hair to a horses tail and kicked it in the butt.

Thats totally different. She is not even hurting him, and what you suggest would most likely kill the poor woman.

Why resort to violence?

peeves
07-08-09, 00:05
Well what would happen if i had a rat or a hornet on a leash and dragged it. :mis:

MattTR
07-08-09, 00:10
OMG! That is so insane! :eek:

Who would be filming that, someone who obviously that it was funny or some kind of joke! :smk: :mad:

Cruel world we live in today.. :(

Mokono
07-08-09, 00:12
Who would be filming that, someone who obviously that it was funny or some kind of joke! :smk: :mad:

Maybe someone who needed a proof to show the Police?

Rai
07-08-09, 00:39

I'm sorry Love2Raid, but no-one knows what sort of parent they'd make until they are one. Looking after someone else's child is different - and easier really as the child is more likely to behave with someone who isn't their parent and you're not [as] emotionally involved and so are less likely to feel stressed if they do act up. I honestly don't see that that women's actions were violent. Misjudged maybe, but I doubt the harness would harm the child, they're made with safety in mind.

scremanie
07-08-09, 00:49
Well what would happen if i had a rat or a hornet on a leash and dragged it. :mis:

Meet me at the park in ten minutes. My Bee loves to go for walks... :p

MattTR
07-08-09, 00:51
Maybe someone who needed a proof to show the Police?

Good point, didn't think of that. :eek:

Well, I've never seen anything like it before in my life, that's for sure.

Squibbly
07-08-09, 00:56
Seriously? You never laid on a blanket or a towel while someone pulled you around on it?

How are those points comparable? Those things are done out of fun, with the child going along with it. Deciding to drag your child out of a store like an animal is not. That's like comparing a punch to the face and a hug.

As I mentioned before, that child could have easily been picked up and carried out. I have done that myself many times with bigger kids who were fighting back.

And I don't think anyone should say whether or not this child felt any pain or enjoyment. None of us know that for sure. And what does it matter? She was walking quickly enough that he could have banged into something and got hurt, even if he wasn't feeling any pain at the time of being dragged around. She wasn't looking at him at all to even see if he would get up.

But the more I watch it.. see the way his leg is moving? That's an obvious sign of being uncomfortable in some kind of way, whether it's a lot of pain or not.

I honestly can't even begin to fathom how anyone can think this is the right thing to do, or "normal".

LaraCablara
07-08-09, 01:04
Ugh, who cares.

When you guys have wild misbehaving children, then argue about if putting them on leashes is wrong or not.

...and if he wasn't a wild misbehaving child, then its a bit strange.

Catracoth
07-08-09, 01:07
A lot of people I know put their toddlers on leashes, but primarily because their children like to wander off. It's also handy if you've got your hands full and cannot hold your child's hand. I see nothing wrong with using those child leashes, as long as they're used properly.

Squibbly
07-08-09, 01:11
A lot of people I know put their toddlers on leashes, but primarily because their children like to wander off. It's also handy if you've got your hands full and cannot hold your child's hand. I see nothing wrong with using those child leashes, as long as they're used properly.

Well, yeah, they're specifically for children who have tendencies to wander off. They go around the hand, or are designed like a backpack.

But they're not supposed to be used to drag a child across the floor.

Catracoth
07-08-09, 01:12
Well I know that, :p.

...as long as they're used properly.

Squibbly
07-08-09, 01:13
^ Sorry. :p

Catracoth
07-08-09, 01:14
Apologies not necessary :). I just wonder what the kid did to deserve to be dragged like that. He looked like he was sleeping...or worse.

Squibbly
07-08-09, 01:17
Apologies not necessary :). I just wonder what the kid did to deserve to be dragged like that. He looked like he was sleeping...or worse.

No matter what he did, there are by far better ways to deal with children.

The way his leg is moving is just so obvious to me that he's not comfortable, whether or not it's pain related.

She wasn't even looking back at him at all. Ugh.

Catracoth
07-08-09, 01:18
I know, that poor child. I'd have slapped the mother right good, too. I work as a teacher and have a love for children, so seeing this is completely irritating.

Squibbly
07-08-09, 01:19
I know, that poor child. I'd have slapped the mother right good, too. I work as a teacher and have a love for children, so seeing this is completely irritating.

I know what you mean. I work in the childcare/educational field so I deal with children every day, and some with very bad behavior problems, too. We don't drag them around on the floor.

Catracoth
07-08-09, 01:21
You want behaviour problems, come see some of the kids I work with. Although, they are at the proper age for that, so it's expected, but they're also at the age where they're smart enough to understand what's right and wrong, they just choose not to listen. We don't drag them across the floor either. Hell, I don't think that thought's even crossed our minds.

MadCroy101
07-08-09, 01:47
Oh my Geddy Lee, thats all I have to say! :yik:

Lara's Nemesis
07-08-09, 04:05
I would think that a lot of people have young children on these "leashes" to ensure the safety of the child.

It was a bad move by the mum in this case but I don't think she deserves a jail sentence for it.

voltz
07-08-09, 04:08
Kid makes a good mop! I bet that you could get him a job like that working for Wal-mart on $5 daily long as perks include bubblegum and lolli-pops.