PDA

View Full Version : The Mayan Calander

Dark One
06-08-09, 12:34
They found out that the Mayan calander ends in 2012. Some think that this means the end of the world. Any takers?

LightningRider
06-08-09, 12:42
Not exactly. Were kinda discussing logical stuff here and if we believe in it or not.

I personally don't. I believe it will come one day, but not when we can narrow it down to a specific date.

But if Natla's gonna be in the next TR game, might as well be the end of the world for me. :pi:

Kelly Craftman
06-08-09, 12:44
i'll be 20 by then, my life would have been lived near fullest! :vlol:

Drone
06-08-09, 12:46
the Mayan calander ends in 2012

but other calenders won't end :wve:

Dark One
06-08-09, 12:49
Well, I've never been big on the thought I figure that they meant to just make another calander in 2012 but it is surprising to me how many people actually believe it. They even have specials on History Channel about it.

LightningRider
06-08-09, 12:49
but other calenders won't end :wve:

Exactly. :)

Draco
06-08-09, 16:24
They found out that the Mayan calander ends in 2012. Some think that this means the end of the world. Any takers?

It does not end in 2012.

Mad Tony
06-08-09, 16:24
What is it about the Mayan calendar that gives it so much credibility?

xXhayleyroxXx
06-08-09, 16:26
It does not end in 2012.

not saying you're wrong but how do you know?
I don't know much about the mayan calender apart from tomb raider underworld's facts.

adventurerLara
06-08-09, 16:27
Just a hapless prediction IMO.

TRhalloween
06-08-09, 16:29

Because "It's the end of the world!" And people like to hype that up.

It's like the swine flu of calenders.

Draco
06-08-09, 16:36

The Mayan calendar unlike most calendars in modern use is based on astrological phenomenon that should have been impossible for the Mayan civilization we know to have experienced sufficiently to be accurate in its entirety.

not saying you're wrong but how do you know?
I don't know much about the mayan calender apart from tomb raider underworld's facts.

Because, like the end of every other calendar, it just resets. The end of this cycle of the Mayan calendar marks the end of the Age of Pisces, which we have been in for over 5 Millennia.

Sir Croft
06-08-09, 16:38
If each time someone "predicted" when the world is going to end was accurate, the world would've ended a long time ago. :rolleyes:

xXhayleyroxXx
06-08-09, 16:39
The Mayan calendar unlike most calendars in modern use is based on astrological phenomenon that should have been impossible for the Mayan civilization we know to have experienced sufficiently to be accurate in its entirety.

Because, like the end of every other calendar, it just resets. The end of this cycle of the Mayan calendar marks the end of the Age of Pisces, which we have been in for over 5 Millennia.

im really interested in things like this.
so whats the age of pisces? like the starsign?

Kelly Craftman
06-08-09, 16:40
Because "It's the end of the world!" And people like to hype that up.

It's like the swine flu of calenders.

Swine Flu of Calanders :vlol:

Draco
06-08-09, 16:41
If each time someone "predicted" when the world is going to end was accurate, the world would've ended a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Most of the predictions are based on arbitrary things like '2000', which in itself is meaningless, because the Gregorian calendar is technically meaningless.

_Awestruck_
06-08-09, 16:45
No, it's just some predictions by the Maya. It doesn't mean they're right.

Draco
06-08-09, 16:52
No, it's just some predictions by the Maya. It doesn't mean they're right.

Actually they are actual astrological events, not predictions, which is why this particular 'end of the world' hype is so viral. It isn't the Mayans who are wrong here, its the misinformed hype itself.

IceColdLaraCroft
06-08-09, 16:57
Just because the calendar ends doesn't mean the world will. Maybe they intended it to be a new calendar afterward.

By some calendars (china for instance) we're beyond 2012. The world isn't going to end because of some man-made concept such as numbers. And by noon EST in the US i'd be 21 of Dec in Australia :)

CerebralAssassin
06-08-09, 17:59
apparently there are 2 theories on how the world will end.

1)geomagnetic reversal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal)
2)Nibiru collision (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_collision)

hmm.... interesting.

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 18:04
apparently there are 2 theories on how the world will end.

1)geomagnetic reversal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal)
2)Nibiru collision (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_collision)

hmm.... interesting.

The first doesn't sound that bad...

Some speculate that a greatly diminished magnetic field during a reversal period will expose the surface of the earth to a substantial and potentially damaging increase in cosmic radiation. However, Homo erectus and their ancestors certainly survived many previous reversals. There is no uncontested evidence that a magnetic field reversal has ever caused any biological extinctions. A possible explanation is that the solar wind may induce a sufficient magnetic field in the Earth's ionosphere to shield the surface from energetic particles even in the absence of the Earth's normal magnetic field.

CerebralAssassin
06-08-09, 18:11
^ yeah that's the problem with that theory...there's no evidence that it will actually do any damage to mankind...and also the periods between shifts are seemingly random.

1upMushroom
06-08-09, 19:12
The last time the end of an age approached, the Incas slaughtered a whole lot of children to be ambassadors to the gods to prevent the impending disaster.

Not even their imagination prepared them for the disaster of the Spanish. :(

Thankfully in our society, we do not practice the ritual sacrifice of children.
If the native American civilizations were continuing unchanged today, it would be happening again.

So be glad we live approaching the end of this age, and not at the end of that one.

Indiana Croft
06-08-09, 19:29
The Mayans are just one of many to predict a doomsday. Guess what? All of them have been wrong. I don't think the world will end in 2012. Maybe a big tragedy will happen, but not the end of the world as a whole.

Nerd For Life
06-08-09, 19:31
I can't help but laugh at this theory. LOL oh well, if the world ends in 2012, all the believers will have a chance to tell me 'told you so'.

..wait... :pi:

Drone
06-08-09, 19:35
interesting that nobody said a thing about Hadron Collider yet :vlol:

1upMushroom
06-08-09, 19:38
interesting that nobody said a thing about Hadron Collider yet :vlol:

The Hadron collider that is going to collapse the earth, without having enough mass to do so?

TombRaiderCool
06-08-09, 19:42
I honestly don't know what to think about this, Iím very skeptical at the least. I mean the World has survived every other prophecy that's prophesied its demise so far. This prediction in the calendar also matches Nostradamus' prediction that in the year 2012, the world will end. I don't want to say anything huge will happen there is a pretty big chance nothing will, but it's really scary to think about.

Lemmie
06-08-09, 20:05
Yes. Because the world will in fact end when some humans decided it would, based on some stars.

We are just that amazing.

Peanut
06-08-09, 20:07
They even thought the world is going to end in 2006.. And how did that work for them? :ton:

I dont believe this, They think the world is going to end in 3 Years and I am pretty sure they are wrong about that.. ;)

Cochrane
06-08-09, 20:31
I think nothing apocalyptic will happen on that day. In fact, I am so certain that I have made a bet about it, which is open to anyone: If something bad does happen, track me down in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, and I will buy you an ice cream.

I honestly don't know what to think about this, Iím very skeptical at the least. I mean the World has survived every other prophecy that's prophesied its demise so far. This prediction in the calendar also matches Nostradamus' prediction that in the year 2012, the world will end. I don't want to say anything huge will happen there is a pretty big chance nothing will, but it's really scary to think about.

Nostradamus didn't predict that. He said a bunch of gibberish that people have then taken and twisted to fit just about anything. It appears that he did do some good work against the plague, though, and some credit him with designing the first sewer systems for some french towns.

madtong
06-08-09, 20:31
So who are we simples human being, who have so much to know yet, to think that we know something about the end of the world ? The world was there long before us and gonna be here long after us... We all got to know that we are meanless... And this world gonna be here much millions years ...

TombRaiderCool
06-08-09, 21:08
Nostradamus didn't predict that. He said a bunch of gibberish that people have then taken and twisted to fit just about anything. It appears that he did do some good work against the plague, though, and some credit him with designing the first sewer systems for some french towns.

Well, it was still technically considered his prediction, whether it is really is a bunch of gibberish or not is debatable. Personally I don't believe what he said on the subject, the sense of his predictions is elusive and thus, open to interpretation. Some of his other predictions have been proven to be fake, which leads to other skeptism on my part.

just croft
06-08-09, 21:12
No no no no, Itz G0inG t0 endz in da 31 dec3mB3R 2009 it'z w3hn my c4lenber endz!

Wait wasn't that what happened with the mayan calender... :pi:

Lee croft
06-08-09, 21:45
i aint leaving with out a fight :pi: there is too many things i want to do before i die!!!

sheepydee
06-08-09, 21:47
wtf is the world ending in 2012? =S

Mokono
08-08-09, 04:53

No, like it didn't on Dec 31 2000 or 06/06/06.

Cochrane
08-08-09, 05:31
No, like it didn't on Dec 31 2000 or 06/06/06.

Are you sure it didn't? Maybe it did, and we just didn't notice.

Aphrodite22
08-08-09, 05:37
i hope something happens in 2012... like an alien invasion? :D..

hmm good theory

Mokono
08-08-09, 05:52

Like on that old Peruvian TV Show:

"The world ends in 3, 2, 1..."

"Now, welcome to the new world"

I meant more like a dramatic ending, like us being disrupted or something...

Shark_Blade
08-08-09, 06:08
What makes the Mayan so superior that we want to look up to their calendar? They're extinct anyway. All I know is that Doomsday is up to God's decision. If he wants to make it happen it will, and it's not up to some Mayan prediction which is just silly.

Mokono
08-08-09, 08:33
What makes the Mayan so superior that we want to look up to their calendar? They're extinct anyway. All I know is that Doomsday is up to God's decision. If he wants to make it happen it will, and it's not up to some Mayan prediction which is just silly.

They're not extinct, their civilization is, but their population was asimilated and merged culturally and ethnically with newcomers and other groups deriving in what the mixed population Mexico now has. Doomsday will eventually come (our sun will explodes anyways), so even if we live enough to see it, let's face it. Is that so hard?

Draco
09-08-09, 04:59
Just because the calendar ends doesn't mean the world will. Maybe they intended it to be a new calendar afterward.

It starts over in the new Age. The Age of Pisces, which lasted about the last 5000 years, is ending.

So be glad we live approaching the end of this age, and not at the end of that one.

Human understanding of the psychological effects the cosmos have on our species is still a very large blank.

The Mayans are just one of many to predict a doomsday. Guess what? All of them have been wrong. I don't think the world will end in 2012. Maybe a big tragedy will happen, but not the end of the world as a whole.

The Mayans didn't predict anything related to the topic.

Yes. Because the world will in fact end when some humans decided it would, based on some stars.

We already know the end of our world will be caused by a star.

No, though it may change a little.

irjudd
09-08-09, 05:09
I think nothing apocalyptic will happen on that day. In fact, I am so certain that I have made a bet about it, which is open to anyone: If something bad does happen, track me down in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, and I will buy you an ice cream.

I know I've already gotten in line for this post-apocalyptic-ice-cream, but I must ask: What is your definition of "something bad"? I must know if there are any clauses so that I don't make a fool of myself asking for ice cream when whatever occurrence doesn't meet your qualifications for ice cream worthiness. To add to that, do you have the necessary humility to concede that it is indeed time for ice cream?

LightningRider
09-08-09, 06:53
Hmm, I have a new crazy wacko comic book geek idea.

Has anyone read Infinite Crisis, or any of the Crises by DC?

Basically there are multiple worlds out there, all vibrating at different speeds. They're all the same yet slightly different.

It could be that the world will not end in 2012, But rather, like Crisis On Infinite Earths (or more correctly, Zero Hour) implies, the world is reborn again, but without any of us noticing simply because. It did happen catastrophically though but by some Deranged Hal Jordan (Or more correctly again, Hank aka Hawk aka whatever they named him, I forgot), they refined the time stream so that nobody remembers, And all that has happened will slowly be repaired and replaced with false memories that fit, but only Time Masters like Rip Hunter, could ever exploit.

So basically were Earth Prime!

:o I know, I'm Deranged.

Legend 4ever
09-08-09, 07:01
Any way, by the 26th century, there will be too many people for us to live normal lives on Earth, so that may be the real end of the World unless we do sth about it.

Tonyrobinson
09-08-09, 07:35
With a more Pyschic point of view 2012 will mark the discovery of new superior beings holding astounding knowledge more so of any over human thus making a new era of human evolution begin. They are said to have much larger heads than us :)

Admles
09-08-09, 08:04
It starts over in the new Age. The Age of Pisces, which lasted about the last 5000 years, is ending.

Bingo!

I think the Age of Aquarius - the water bringer - is next?

LightningRider
09-08-09, 08:27

Bingo!

:tmb: Spot on!

Cochrane
09-08-09, 10:35
I know I've already gotten in line for this post-apocalyptic-ice-cream, but I must ask: What is your definition of "something bad"? I must know if there are any clauses so that I don't make a fool of myself asking for ice cream when whatever occurrence doesn't meet your qualifications for ice cream worthiness. To add to that, do you have the necessary humility to concede that it is indeed time for ice cream?

A good question, and I'm really not sure what the answer is myself. As long as it's not too many people, though, I guess I can afford to purchase enough ice cream quite independently of what will happen.

IceColdLaraCroft
10-08-09, 20:49
Now if some tall blonde woman comes on tv with wings and starts talking about Ragnorok we all know throwing a Hammah at her won't be enough.

just croft
10-08-09, 21:43

Bingo!

Last I've heard our current aeon doesn't end untill 2160 or 2600. Two completly different dates but far far away from 2012.

Draco
10-08-09, 22:08
Last I've heard our current aeon doesn't end untill 2160 or 2600. Two completly different dates but far far away from 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_age

That should muddy up the well of understanding some.

The Great Chi
10-08-09, 22:35
We had all this 'end of the world' stuff with the year 2000, and all we got was the Millenium bug, which was a bit of a joke as it costs companies fortunes to sort out, and it was in reality a minor computer problem to sort out the new dates as they started from 00 again, ie 2000.

The next big conspiricy on the websites to do with 2012, is that during the 2012 London olympics, there will be hoards of alien spaceships decending on the intent of taking over the world, starting from Canary Wharf in London :D

But the sneaky thing about it is, that it will all be CGI on our TV made by goverments, to make the world population think we are under alien invasion and our brains will be sucked out, so we will need a world army to get those alien sucking nasties exterminated.

Hence you will have an instant world army under military dictatorship in control of us all :eek:

(Conspiricy, eh, he he....sounds like a doctor who storyline, I think.

I look forward to London being invaded in HD colour :p )

just croft
10-08-09, 22:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_age

That should muddy up the well of understanding some.

Among other places I've been there too.

Timeframes
Zodiacal 30 degrees:

Heindel-Rosicrucian based interpretation: began in AD 498 (year understood as marking the "first point of Aries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_point_of_Aries)" alignment, Aries 0ļ, and the subsequent entrance in Pisces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisces_%28astrology%29)) and ends in ca. AD 2654 (the orb of influence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_%28astrology%29) started in ca. 222/220s BC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/220s_BC)).

Neil Mann interpretation: began in ca. AD 1 and ends in ca. AD 2150.

Constellation boundary year:

Shephard Simpson interpretation: began ca. 100/90 BC and ends ca. AD 2680.

xXhayleyroxXx
10-08-09, 22:43
if we are coming out of the age of pisces what age are we going into?

just croft
10-08-09, 22:44
if we are coming out of the age of pisces what age are we going into?

Aquarius :wve:

IceColdLaraCroft
11-08-09, 00:37
Ragnorok the seventh age!!!!

larafan25
11-08-09, 00:42
I believe it:D