PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Catracoth
06-08-09, 20:50
I've had Windows Vista on my new computer since April, and I'm still learning new things about it. I read in many places on the Internet that Vista is incredibly customizable. For those who use it, post your interesting findings about Vista here, :wve:. I'd like to see what other people have come across when using/customizing it.

edit: And please keep the discussion to the topic of the customization of Vista for now.

sheepydee
06-08-09, 20:52
omg i cant stand vista >.< it annoys me so much and the pathetic feature of "User Account Control" ugh i hate it XD

however i like to customize the window colors and stuff coughcough pink ftw coughcough :D

Candee Sparks
06-08-09, 21:02
Vista is awful. It's nice that it's customizable to user preference but that's all I can say I like about it. A lot of the things they added to it are completely unnecessary but I like that I can make my windows orange and my Firefox orange theme and have them coordinate so it's not an eyesore.

da tomb raider!
06-08-09, 21:06
omg i cant stand vista >.< it annoys me so much and the pathetic feature of "User Account Control" ugh i hate it XD

however i like to customize the window colors and stuff coughcough pink ftw coughcough :D

Ditto.

And same here - the only things I've customized are the window colours (in pink, too :p )

Catracoth
06-08-09, 21:07
I've heard a lot of negative speak about Vista claiming it's the worst software ever, and yet none of them provided solid reasons why. People just said, "Oh it's horrible" and that's it. Does anyone have any reasons?

sheepydee
06-08-09, 21:08
- the only things I've customized are the window colours (in pink, too :p )
:hug:

maximum_123
06-08-09, 21:09
Reasoning with Catracoth. Hmm. Yeah, I'm just going to say, "Oh, it's horrible", and leave with my head held high sat by my Mac.

Catracoth
06-08-09, 21:14
Can we keep it on topic please? I asked for those to post customization options and cool things they've come across. You want to bash Vista, then do it elsewhere. This is NOT the place for it.

maximum_123
06-08-09, 21:15
Oh, I wasn't bashing Vista. To be frankly honest, I too own two machines running it yet take a dislike to it. However it is vastly customisable, isn't everything else? Although the sidebar was a nice addition. Nice'n'tidy.

Phys
06-08-09, 21:22
What exactly are peoples problems with Vista? Its worked absolutely perfectly for me, and i've had it since December 2007.

Anyway there is loads of stuff you can do in Vista! You just need to explore and discover it :p

You can get some Health Reports on your computer which tell you lots of information such as what may be stopping your computer shut down quickly, what programs are using the most memory, etc. Its quite a useful tool, especially if your computer is lagging and you want to know whats causing it.

To do it, just open Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, and then click Performance Information and Tools. In the Tasks list along the left, click Advanced tools. The last item on the list is Generate a system health report.

There is also a handy feature called Mobility Center. You can access 'most-used' functions such as Volume control, Battery power and power-saving functions, WLAN switch. Just press Windows key + X to open it up.

da tomb raider!
06-08-09, 21:24
I've heard a lot of negative speak about Vista claiming it's the worst software ever, and yet none of them provided solid reasons why. People just said, "Oh it's horrible" and that's it. Does anyone have any reasons?

For starters, it's slow. Far slower than XP (or even the earlier Windows operation systems, for that matter). Vista take longer to load, takes longer to boot up and shut down, and heck, even disconnecting from the Internet takes about 50 seconds as opposed to the 2 seconds that it took to do on previous operation systems.

Secondly, it's incompatible. The vast majority of my games don't run on Vista at all, and the same goes for half of my applications and programs, too. Given the massive popularity of XP and the even bigger amount of software that was made for it, Microsoft should've made Vista 100% compatible with it all. Clearly they didn't even try.

And finally there's all of the useless features that it's crammed with (which is probably why it runs so slowly, too). There's bizarre gadgets that are completely useless (there's a clock and calender in the taskbar, why have it on the desktop as well?), all of these applications regarding media that I for one would never ever dream of using, and of course the terrifying User Account Control. Annoying and useless, period. Sure, it can be turned off, but unfortunately nobody told me that when I first got my Vista computer and installed all of my software on it. Total nightmare (and it was even worse when I found out that I couldn't even use half of it).

Those would be my main reasons why I don't like Vista.

Catracoth
06-08-09, 21:31
For starters, it's slow. Far slower than XP (or even the earlier Windows operation systems, for that matter). Vista take longer to load, takes longer to boot up and shut down, and heck, even disconnecting from the Internet takes about 50 seconds as opposed to the 2 seconds that it took to do on previous operation systems.

Now this I have to disagree with, and this might just be your computer. My laptop which runs on XP takes about five minutes to shut down and seven to load up. My desktop computer running on Vista takes about ten seconds to shut down, and thirty to load up.

Secondly, it's incompatible. The vast majority of my games don't run on Vista at all, and the same goes for half of my applications and programs, too. Given the massive popularity of XP and the even bigger amount of software that was made for it, Microsoft should've made Vista 100% compatible with it all. Clearly they didn't even try.

You must be trying to run dinosaur applications and programs, and your games must be old. Most games these days that were released after Vista run perfectly, from what I've heard. I only play The Sims 2 (plus expansion packs) and The Sims 3 (plus future expansion packs) on my computer and they run perfectly.

And finally there's all of the useless features that it's crammed with (which is probably why it runs so slowly, too). There's bizarre gadgets that are completely useless (there's a clock and calender in the taskbar, why have it on the desktop as well?), all of these applications regarding media that I for one would never ever dream of using, and of course the terrifying User Account Control. Annoying and useless, period. Sure, it can be turned off, but unfortunately nobody told me that when I first got my Vista computer and installed all of my software on it. Total nightmare (and it was even worse when I found out that I couldn't even use half of it).

Again, it might just be your computer that's making Vista run slowly, because I use the gadgets and it runs perfectly. Perhaps you have an older version of Vista, or again, your computer might just be out of date or something.

But like I said, this thread is meant to talk about cool finds and customization options with Vista, so let's keep it on track, :wve:.

maximum_123
06-08-09, 21:31
The problem with Vista is it looks nice, but that just makes it too resource-heavy, laggy and slow. Even on a good system. I have a laptop with the recommended specs of Vista and it's literally unbearable. Microsoft's choice to put everything into Vista and to leave XP behind wasn't so much of a good one.

Vista also always attempts to be helpful, and apparently Mac's are the computers which are simple and for the less-computer literate. And to be honest, who wants a computer that has it's own pop-up's ever so recently and always wants to download crappy updates to hog your computer.

On the plus side, it makes machines cheaper, right? :p

Windows needs a dock. That'd be cool, with the Vista style. Because to be honest, it is a nice desktop to look at.

TRfan23
06-08-09, 21:34

Those would be my main reasons why I don't like Vista.

Yeh at first I hated Vista due to the slowness and speed as of the memory resources it uses up, but I've gotten so much more used to it :) The thing is Microsoft made Vista from scratch, XP was basically an updated version of Windows Me... ;) Which explains why they couldn't make it very compatible with other apps.

This is interesting, more Windows came out after Vista - Home Server & Server 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows#Timeline_of_releases

As for customization I do like it a lot in Vista :) I customize my laptop in many ways :) Like when my laptop had 1GB RAM I made my theme to windows classic, now I can have it to Windows Vista and it runs rather smoothly :) I am impressed though at the glossyness of the graphics on Vista from XP, big jump ;)

SamReeves
06-08-09, 21:38
To be honest I don't see very much customization opportunities with Windows Vista. Most of the downloadable styles are made for Windows XP. As far as Vista the OS, the 32 bit version is total crap. It made me very angry and I switched back to Windows XP. I do have a Vista 64 bit disc sitting on my shelf, but I might save it as an upgrade path to Windows 7.

Angelus
06-08-09, 23:21
I've had Vista since I got my laptop in April and I can honestly say I've never had a problem with it.

Catracoth
06-08-09, 23:39
I've had Vista since I got my laptop in April and I can honestly say I've never had a problem with it.

Same here, with my desktop. I got it in April as well and never had any problems.

knock on wood.

irjudd
07-08-09, 02:03
I won't even bother addressing the "Vista Sucks" trolls this time.

I'd say my favorite additions in Vista are the "breadcrumbs" in the explorer navigation, the start menu search feature, as well as the gadgets, of which I've found some very cool ones, like a Pandora.com gadget which is quite slick.

Vista 64 SP2 with 4GB of memory kicks ass thoroughly. I simply can't touch XP 32 again after getting used to the former.

Also, as hard as it is to believe, UAC is a nice addition for a sysadmin.

tomobond875
07-08-09, 02:04
To be honest, i think vista kicks lower back, which is a good thing. It's so easy to use.

voltz
07-08-09, 04:13
The problem with Vista is it looks nice, but that just makes it too resource-heavy, laggy and slow. Even on a good system. I have a laptop with the recommended specs of Vista and it's literally unbearable. Microsoft's choice to put everything into Vista and to leave XP behind wasn't so much of a good one.

This is one of the main reasons I plan to hold out till win 7 comes around. At this point they should have all the problems worked out.

vega82
07-08-09, 04:14
I downloaded this tiny app once, but never used it (this pc has XP) so use it at your own risk. Is a fix to make the user pic in the Star menu animated.
You can get it here (http://www.aveapps.com/3duserpic.html), you can visit this (http://www.tweakvista.com/article39189.aspx) place too.

Legend Killer
07-08-09, 09:55
I won't even bother addressing the "Vista Sucks" trolls this time.

I'd say my favorite additions in Vista are the "breadcrumbs" in the explorer navigation, the start menu search feature, as well as the gadgets, of which I've found some very cool ones, like a Pandora.com gadget which is quite slick.

Vista 64 SP2 with 4GB of memory kicks ass thoroughly. I simply can't touch XP 32 again after getting used to the former.

Also, as hard as it is to believe, UAC is a nice addition for a sysadmin.

I have also have zero issues running the 64 bit Version here on my new system. My startup/shutdown times are right on track with Catracoth's numbers and so far games have not been a problem for me. :tmb:

I will most likely upgrade when version 7 is released, but I'll be buying a separate HDD for that and running a dual boot system when that time comes. :)

maximum_123
07-08-09, 10:29
This is one of the main reasons I plan to hold out till win 7 comes around. At this point they should have all the problems worked out.

The RC1 of Win 7 is actually pretty good. Much better than Vista.

Catracoth
07-08-09, 13:06
It just figures, I finally get a computer with Vista and then Windows 7 is announced. This always happens--I get the most up-to-date whatever, and then something new is released. You can never keep up with all this. But whatever, I'm not upgrading.

TRfan9294
07-08-09, 14:52
Vista is my favorite OS so far although there are so many complaints about it. It looks good, has great features and is compatible with most gamed. There are no problems for me.:D I look forward to trying Windows 7 when it is released.:)

Titanium
07-08-09, 14:57
Vista wasnt exactly the best OS at the start of its life, but thanks to the service packs and updates, it's definately alot better then it was. My actual experience with Vista hasnt been that bad. Sure I've had the odd problem but most of them would of probably happened with any other versions of Windows. It does what I want it to do. :)

irjudd
07-08-09, 15:00
It just figures, I finally get a computer with Vista and then Windows 7 is announced. This always happens--I get the most up-to-date whatever, and then something new is released. You can never keep up with all this. But whatever, I'm not upgrading.
Does it just bother you because you're behind the trend, or do you really think there's some massive changes in Windows 7 that handicaps you to not have it? If it's the former, then I'd say you need to stay out of the technology field in general, since new stuff comes out monthly.

Catracoth
07-08-09, 15:04
Does it just bother you because you're behind the trend, or do you really think there's some massive changes in Windows 7 that handicaps you to not have it? If it's the former, then I'd say you need to stay out of the technology field in general, since new stuff comes out monthly.

It bothers me not for either reasons, but because it always happens--I buy something new, and then something even better comes out. I buy a Nintendo DS Lite, the Nintendo DSi comes out. I buy a Sidekick Slide, the Sidekick LX '09 is released. Consumerism and I have a hate/hate relationship.

irjudd
07-08-09, 15:06
It bothers me not for either reasons, but because it always happens--I buy something new, and then something even better comes out. I buy a Nintendo DS Lite, the Nintendo DSi comes out. I buy a Sidekick Slide, the Sidekick LX '09 is released. Consumerism and I have a hate/hate relationship.
Yeah it's pretty irritating. But I try not to view it as the materialistic slop that it is, but rather a constant advancement of technology, which is cool.