PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Doll Lets Little Girls Pretend to Breast-Feed

EmeraldFields
07-08-09, 21:34
http://i25.************/24nfy50.jpg
A controversial new doll is leaving some parents wishing for the good old Cabbage Patch days.

A Spanish toymaker known as Berjuan has developed a breast-feeding doll that comes with a special halter top its young "mothers" wear as they pretend to breast-feed their "babies." The halter top has daisies that cover the little girls’ nipples and come undone just as easily as the flaps of a nursing bra would.

The doll — called Bebe Gloton, which translates as “gluttonous baby” — makes sucking noises as it "feeds."

Like many other dolls, Bebe Gloton can cry, signaling she wants more milk.

Although many health care providers promote the benefits of breast-feeding, parents around the world have criticized Berjuan, saying the idea of breast-feeding is too grown-up for young children -- and may even promote early pregnancy.

"That's not cool," Lori Reynolds, of El Paso, Texas, told KFOXTV.com. "No, I would never get that for my child."

But other moms said they support the product.

"I think that it’s great that people want to have a doll that promotes breast-feeding,” said Rose Haluschak, also of El Paso. “Most dolls that are purchased come with a bottle. That is the norm in society, an artificial way to feed your baby.”

Dr. Manny Alvarez, managing health editor of FOXNews.com, said although he supports the idea of breast-feeding, he sees how his own daughter plays with dolls and wonders if Bebe Gloton might speed up maternal urges in the little girls who play it.

“Pregnancy has to entail maturity and understanding,” Alvarez said. “It’s like introducing sex education in first grade instead of seventh or eighth grade. Or, it could inadvertently lead little girls to become traumatized. You never know the effects this could have until she’s older.”

Alvarez said breast-feeding reduces childhood infections, strengthens maternal bonding and increases the child’s immune system. But introducing breast-feeding to girls young enough to play with dolls seems inappropriate, he said.

“What’s next?” wrote Eric Ruhalter, a parenting columnist for New Jersey’s Star Ledger. “Bebe Sot — the doll who has a problem with a different kind of bottle, and loses his family, job and feelings of self-worth? Bebe Limp — the male doll who experiences erectile dysfunction? Bebe Cell Mate — a weak, unimposing doll that experiences all the indignation and humiliation of life in prison?

"Toy themes should be age appropriate. I think so anyway.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537261,00.html

Do you guys think this is age appropriate?

Kelly Craftman
07-08-09, 21:36
erm....... who thinks about idea for dolls these days? what happened to Barbie?

Mad Tony
07-08-09, 21:36
That's rather odd. As for the question, no, I definitely don't think it's age appropriate.

adventurerLara
07-08-09, 21:38
This is definitely not the way to promote breast feeding.

AmericanAssassin
07-08-09, 21:39
That's kind of weird, I'm not going to lie. :p

takamotosan
07-08-09, 21:39
I don't think little girls should be encouraged to play with their nipples like that. It's creepy :pi:

TombRaiderLover
07-08-09, 21:40
It's certainly . . . different, but I don't really see a problem with it. It's just breast-feeding. Still, the argument about it possibly promoting early pregnancy is a valid point.

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 21:41
it's natural for a young girl to want to pretend to breast-feed her baby doll.
i was breast fed and i pretended to breast-feed my baby dolls. it's just mirroring/mimicking learned behaviour.
nothing controversial about it.

anyone attaching any stigma to it is seriously disturbed and needs to get a life.

Catracoth
07-08-09, 21:41
That's disturbing. What they don't make these days.

Mokono
07-08-09, 21:42
Those toys had always existed. I've seen quite a lot, non branded of course.

takamotosan
07-08-09, 21:43
i was breast fed and i pretended to breast-feed my baby dolls. it's just mirroring/mimicking learned behaviour.

anyone attaching any stigma to it is seriously disturbed and needs to get a life.

My sister decided she wanted to play with her nipples today and she was running around saying, "look there's milk in them!"
It creeped me the **** out.
She's 6.

Mad Tony
07-08-09, 21:43
please stop with the insults. if you think it's pathetic, don't post. no one's forcing you to.

Pot, meet kettle.

Seriously though, just because some people may have a different opinion on this rather odd toy doesn't mean they're disturbed.

@takamotosan: :vlol: LMAO

larafan25
07-08-09, 21:47
weird O.o

they should stick to bottles for dolls;)

jackles
07-08-09, 21:49
hmmmm well.....

I fed my son myself...and I am all for breast feeding, after all thats the natural thing and even feeding for the first few days gives positive benefits for a baby. But to me this doll just makes me feel uneasy. It....tries too hard.

Mokono
07-08-09, 21:50

Agree, girls with younger sisters or brothers who are breast-feeded by their moms are morelikely to play as well as they see that behavior, wich is pretty natural. The sexual connotations argued to dismiss this kind of toy are rather funny, but scary too.

jackles
07-08-09, 21:52
Nothing wrong in pretending to feed your doll....like I said it is like that doll is trying too hard.

Squibbly
07-08-09, 21:53
I'm all for breast-feeding. It's natural, and it's the healthiest choice for your baby.

But... mimicking that in a doll for young girls? That's a bit much. It isn't necessary and doesn't really belong in a toy. But I'm not overly bothered by it or anything.

thecentaur
07-08-09, 21:56
erm....... who thinks about idea for dolls these days? what happened to Barbie?

I don't think little girls should be encouraged to play with their nipples like that. It's creepy :pi:

ahaha these made me lol (:

i don't think dolls should encourage feverish movement with the erogenous zones like that... at least more than just existing there :pi:

in english - kinda inappropriate..

Quasimodo
07-08-09, 21:59
Kiddie nursing bra? That's just over the top.

miss.haggard
07-08-09, 22:16
I wouldnt buy that for my (non-existent) child. I would hope parents would explain thoroughly to them before they buy it, that child birth is serious and so is breastfeeding. And if the children can understand, they shouldnt get it.

But thats a perfect world...

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 22:18
lol my god! the posts so far are just ridiculous.

boys can run around "shooting" people with realistic "toy" guns but god forbid a girl pretends to breast feed her baby doll!
there are no sexual connotations.
only a perverse mind would consider this sexual.

to those who think letting your three year old pretend to breast feed her baby doll will somehow turn her into a pregnant, breast feeding whore:
it won't.

it's called nurturing. the child is mirroring comforting, nurturing behaviour learned from their parent.
no child thinks "hey! this breast-feeding feels SO good! I'm gonna go have sex RIGHT NOW so I can start breast-feeding ASAP!"

come on.
seriously.

:hea:

jackles
07-08-09, 22:21
Umm where did I say there were sexual connontations? :confused:

And where did I say it was wrong for a child to pretend to feed a baby?

irjudd
07-08-09, 22:22
Hmm I never knew little girls wanted to breast feed their dolls. I only recall seeing little girls bottle feed them. I was under the impression that most girls learned about breastfeeding a bit later in life.

I don't find anything particularly disturbing about this myself, but I can understand why some might, and sympathize with that rather than mock and/or scold them.

disneyprincess20
07-08-09, 22:23
hmmmm well.....

I fed my son myself...and I am all for breast feeding, after all thats the natural thing and even feeding for the first few days gives positive benefits for a baby. But to me this doll just makes me feel uneasy. It....tries too hard.

I agree. Breast feeding is natural and should be encouraged, but not from this early an age. Putting the suggestion in young girls heads that it's ok to whip off your bra in public places because your dolly is hungry is a bit much. You're completely right in that it tries too hard.

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 22:23

And where did I say it was wrong for a child to pretend to feed a baby?

where in my post did I quote you? :confused:

Mokono
07-08-09, 22:24

You didn't, it's among the arguments of those who were quoted in the Article. However, i don't think the toy "encourages" anything, it's a toy. Girls had put dolls in breast-feeding position before at least a few i know myself.

jackles
07-08-09, 22:25
lol my god! the posts so far are just ridiculous.

Well as I am one of the posters I take it that my post is one of the ridiculous ones.

Perhaps that statement should be 'some' posts then.

Or was it the posts in the article you meant?

I just see nothing wrong with the traditional method of stuffing your doll up your jumper! ;) Kids don't need all that faffing about.

Mad Tony
07-08-09, 22:28
boys can run around "shooting" people with realistic "toy" guns but god forbid a girl pretends to breast feed her baby doll!What you are referring to are airsoft guns. In most countries airsoft guns can only be purchased by people over the age of 18.

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 22:28
Well as I am one of the posters I take it that my post is one of the ridiculous ones.

Perhaps that statement should be 'some' posts then.

but the rest of my post goes on to establish what made the ridiculous posts ridiculous. you didn't say there were sexual connotations or that it was wrong to pretend to breast feed your baby.
so... your posts = not ridiculous.

jackles
07-08-09, 22:30
Okay....:)

Plus I edited my above post (several times :o) to try and get what I was trying to say across properly).

January_Snow*
07-08-09, 22:37
Its just a doll, besides all those girls are probably going to be breast feeding in their future, hell they were brest feed, and its not like they never heard of it...I dont support it, but I dont disaprove of it...Hell to me nothing can be worse than a comercial that I saw for a boy toddler doll who pees, and the litlle girl takes its penis between her fingers to make it pee...that was just a WTF!?? moment :cen::cen:

irjudd
07-08-09, 22:37
Eeeew you said the P word.

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 22:41
Its just a doll, besides all those girls are probably going to be breast feeding in their future, hell they were brest feed, and its not like they never heard of it...I dont support it, but I dont disaprove of it...Hell to me nothing can be worse than a comercial that I saw for a boy toddler doll who pees, and the litlle girl takes its penis between her fingers to make it pee...that was just a WTF!?? moment :cen::cen:

this literally made me LOL :vlol:

January_Snow*
07-08-09, 22:53
this literally made me LOL :vlol:

But thats not funny, its discusting, what kind of sick people make a doll that only works if a little girl is holding its penis in her hand? This is little children, I just cant beleve there are people stupid enough to come with that idea, and even stupider people to accept the idea and make a product....

Mokono
07-08-09, 22:58
I just cant beleve there are people stupid enough to come with that idea, and even stupider people to accept the idea and make a product....

I'm not with the idea, but i don't think it is stupid either... Seriously, just because you're disgusted (or all of us but a few) doesn't make it stupid. There's a boy doll or whatever it's name is in english called "Chicho Ronchitas" that features a tiny embedded penis in the body. I not like the doll has a hose attached to it, is just a relief embedded with a minuscle hole to pee. What's disgusting about that? Not that i support this, but i'd like to hear about others point of views.

January_Snow*
07-08-09, 23:05
I'm not with the idea, but i don't think it is stupid either... Seriously, just because you're disgusted (or all of us but a few) doesn't make it stupid. There's a boy doll or whatever it's name is in english called "Chicho Ronchitas" that features a tiny embedded penis in the body. I not like the doll has a hose attached to it, is just a relief embedded with a minuscle hole to pee. What's disgusting about that? Not that i support this, but i'd like to hear about others point of views.

Im not saying anything about the fact that the doll I mentioned has a penis, Im dissgusted by the fact they made the doll so it can only pee if the little girl playing with it puts its penis between her fingers, thats just wrong...

Dark Lugia 2
07-08-09, 23:07
Thats just weird.

viper456
07-08-09, 23:07
Kids grow up too fast as it is. A child should be a child...not a mummy.

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 23:10
...so they shouldn't have babydolls?

viper456
07-08-09, 23:13
...so they shouldn't have babydolls?

Yeah they can play with a doll, have tea parties, play dress up...but for the love of god don't stick things to their tits. :p

Mad Tony
07-08-09, 23:15
Yeah they can play with a doll, have tea parties, play dress up...but for the love of god don't stick things to their tits. :pLol. Spoken like a true northerner Thomas. :vlol: :p

viper456
07-08-09, 23:16
Lol. Spoken like a true northerner Thomas. :vlol: :p

It's whut a do :p

Mokono
07-08-09, 23:16
Yeah they can play with a doll, have tea parties, play dress up...but for the love of god don't stick things to their tits. :p

Just way till the Paris Hilton doll comes up including a video camera with night shot and a blog.

viper456
07-08-09, 23:17
Just way till the Paris Hilton doll comes up including a video camera with night shot and a blog.

See this is where doll companies are going wrong; I'd buy that! haha

EmeraldFields
07-08-09, 23:18
See this is where doll companies are going wrong; I'd buy that! haha

OMG! I would too!:cln:

tomblover
07-08-09, 23:19

:vlol:!

January_Snow*

And its motto could be "why be smart when you can be a famous slut" :vlol: seriosly when that stupid ***** gets into that part of money making industry Ill know the world has gone to hell...

Mad Tony
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/user_images/pics/1/11633000/ngbbs45ba9ffba803a.jpg

This thread has made me lol I don't know how many times.

Aphrodite22
07-08-09, 23:20
:vlol: ive always hated dolls

viper456
07-08-09, 23:24
We bought a doll for my nextdoor neighbour's grand daughter once (when we liked the twats) but my brother took a liking to it and wouldn't give it up....so like what would of happened if this doll was a certain breast feeding doll and my brother decided he liked nursing it? Dayum that would of been some freaky **** :yik:

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 23:28

but your associating a child's undeveloped, nonexistent 'tits' with something inappropriate and sexual. there's nothing obscene or indecent about it or that area. just as there's nothing sexually charged or indecent about a mother breast feeding her infant. sex doesn't even enter into the equation.
a three year old girl doesn't know she has breasts (because she doesn't, not yet) or what they're for. to the child their chest is just a chest.
nothing more.
no child should be shamed for mimicking or mirroring such a natural and nurturing act like breast feeding. any otherwise immoral interpretation is a reflection of the viewer.

tomblover
07-08-09, 23:31
We bought a doll for my nextdoor neighbour's grand daughter once (when we liked the twats) but my brother took a liking to it and wouldn't give it up....so like what would of happened if this doll was a certain breast feeding doll and my brother decided he liked nursing it? Dayum that would of been some freaky **** :yik: 6OkcucXIuVI

Some sexy **** right there. :whi:

viper456
07-08-09, 23:33
but your associating a child's undeveloped, nonexistent 'tits' with something inappropriate and sexual. there's nothing obscene or indecent about it or that area. just as there's nothing sexually charged or indecent about a mother breast feeding her infant. sex doesn't even enter into the equation.
a three year old girl doesn't know she has breasts (because she doesn't, not yet) or what they're for. to the child their chest is just a chest.
nothing more.
no child should be shamed for mimicking or mirroring such a natural and nurturing act like breast feeding. any otherwise immoral interpretation is a reflection of the viewer.

I know its not sexual, I just wouldn't be comfortable with my hypothetical 3 year old "breast feeding" her doll. I really feel like kids grow up way too fast and that just seems another step closer to the whole "adult child" issue. Its just a personal opinion, neither is wrong or right. It would be down to the parents to decide what they want for their kid. But personally I wouldn't buy that doll for my kids.

@ Tomblover- LMFAO :vlol: Poor Stewie! :(

January_Snow*
07-08-09, 23:35
I dont judge it but I dont support it, but I agree with viper on this, I wouldnt buy that doll, well, only if my child would scream for it in the shop yes, but like seeing it and saying "hmmm this would be good" no....

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 23:44
can I ask what exactly makes you feel uncomfortable about it? you said it's one more step to the "adult-child" issue...but children have been playing with dollies and babydolls for as long as they've been around.
it's natural to want to mirror the parent of the same gender. boys mirror their dads by pretending to be soldiers in wars, shooting people or hunting animals, etc.
surely you don't really think that a child pretending to nurture their babydoll isn't the same thing as, say, a young teen having sex and getting pregnant--right??

in the great scheme of things, is this really that extreme?

viper456
07-08-09, 23:50
can I ask what exactly makes you feel uncomfortable about it? you said it's one more step to the "adult-child" issue...but children have been playing with dollies and babydolls for as long as they've been around.
it's natural to want to mirror the parent of the same gender. boys mirror their dads by pretending to be soldiers in wars, shooting people or hunting animals, etc.
surely you don't really think that a child pretending to nurture their babydoll isn't the same thing as, say, a young teen having sex and getting pregnant--right??

Like I said originally I feel kids grow up too fast; that in my eyes, breast feeding a doll which at the end of the day is an adult female role, is accelerating the mental ageing process. I just find it inappropriate that's all.

Gabi
07-08-09, 23:55
But, Tom, many young children see their siblings being fed like this and just mirror what they experience daily in their play.
Why someone had to develop a "special" doll for that, though, beats me - any baby doll will do (and in the past has done for many children).

iamlaracroft
07-08-09, 23:55
just for kicks, do you think boys playing with realistic toy guns inappropriate too?
or playing video games that simulate shooting people/animals/police, etc?
Just curious.

Rai
07-08-09, 23:59
I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, there is nothing wrong with little girls playing 'mummy' with their dolls. It is natural and nurturing. However, any realistic doll that does things that real babies do, from crying, 'drinking' water and suckling nipples is all too much. You may as well give a 6 year old a real baby and be done with it. Girls should be pretending, with dressing up their dolls not having one at their nipples actually suckling away. It's too much too soon, imo. Certainly not something I'd buy my daughter if I had one. It's almost like saying 'being a woman is all about having babies'. It's not real, yet it is one step away from it.

Gladous
08-08-09, 00:02
That's seriously...disturbing. :o

"Hey mom! Look what I can do with my nipples!" :p

viper456
08-08-09, 00:02
But, Tom, many young children see their siblings being fed like this and just mirror what they experience daily in their play.

Why someone had to develop a "special" doll for that, though, beats me - any baby doll will do (and in the past has done for many children).

Oh I know, and that's fair enough but yeah; making a doll specifically for that purpose is just too much in my eyes.

just for kicks, do you think boys playing with realistic toy guns inappropriate too?
or playing video games that simulate shooting people/animals/police, etc?
Just curious.

Yes and no to the guns. My Mum was always a bit funny when it came to allowing me or my brother to have toy guns. I don't think we ever had one that was trying to look like a real handgun or anything; it was always something like from the Power Rangers or that sort of thing :p Was always made clear that it was a toy, not real etc.

As for games they have age ratings for a reason.

Catracoth
08-08-09, 00:03
Looks like consumerism reared it's ugly head again.

Love2Raid
08-08-09, 00:07
I don't see anything wrong with it. If that special 'bra' would be in the shape and colour of real breasts and nipples, now that would be disturbing. But it isn't. And come on, who didn't see their mom feeding their little brother or sister (if you have one) as a child. But I must admit I would probably not buy something like this for my little cousin. :o

:BitterSweet:
08-08-09, 01:22
Sorta' reminds me of this...

V25OVfLsOV8

:P

(Sorry if it isn't allowed. :p)

Mokono
08-08-09, 01:33
Sorta' reminds me of this...

V25OVfLsOV8

:P

(Sorry if it isn't allowed. :p)

It' not like the doll has a hose attached to it(...)

D:

I didn't know that when i did my post.

Peanut
08-08-09, 01:41
Umm.. Thats Weird! :confused:

rowanlim
08-08-09, 02:08
I agree that it's natural for girls to mimic breast feeding, I'm all for breast feeding but this doll seems to play too much with that concept. It's weird.

matrix54
08-08-09, 02:17
This is worse than that children's doll with the penis (yes i'm serious)

but... when would they embrace breast feeding for little girls when they dont even have... breast :confused: I never like dolls anyway :rolleyes:

TR love
08-08-09, 03:05
Urgh is not taking things too far so HARD!

miss.haggard
08-08-09, 03:22
I still think it all matters if you can explain to a child that it is a toy/video game/movie/not real, whether its shooting people with toy guns, or breast feeding a doll. Its 100% on the parents.

Mokono
08-08-09, 04:42
Well, violence/blood in toys that's another story... I mean, if toys perform real injuries might be, even if "natural", disturbing.

Tombraiderx08
08-08-09, 04:43
anatomy needs to stay away from toys in general, goodness. thats just not appropriate IMO, i mean, if i came home from work and i saw one of them things on my daughter id be like "wtf are you doin!"

EmeraldFields
08-08-09, 04:48
I agree that it's natural for girls to mimic breast feeding, I'm all for breast feeding but this doll seems to play too much with that concept. It's weird.

This. :tmb:

LightningRider
08-08-09, 04:50
It's fine, but creating one specifically for this purpose is kinda.. creepy.

Dennis's Mom
08-08-09, 13:05
Was there a problem pretending to breast feed other baby dolls that a "special" one needed to be developed? *smells a marketing ploy*

As a toy, I rate this a "fail" because how boring is breast feeding. It doesn't come with anything, because (and this is the great perk of breast feeding) you don't need anything to breast feed. As an adult, I can appreciate less is more, but if I'm a little girl looking at toys, I want the one that comes with forty-jillion extra small toys that I can lose --- I mean play with. :D

I do think there is a creep factor about a little girl breast feeding with non-existent breasts. It feels a little too personal for some reason. While breast feeding in and of itself is not sexual, the breast (in this country at least) is highly sexualized, and I'm not sure I'd want to explain to a girl child why she can't undress herself in public to feed her baby. It somehow crosses into territory that seems "too mature" for a little girl. I'd feel the same way about "pretend tampons" or Kotex. It's not a question of whether it's natural or normal, it simply seems too mature.

But that's my North American take on it, and I was raised with all the "breast baggage" this country has. It may be quite unremarkable in Spain.

Atlantisfreak666
08-08-09, 13:08
That's perverted.

michaeldt
08-08-09, 13:35
it weird enough to have a doll pee, now this?

tombraiderluka
08-08-09, 13:39
Goodbye common sense! :wve:

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-08-09, 13:43

I completely agree.

I was premature, so couldn't breastfeed (Mom tried though), but my brothers were breast fed, and it was something I was already aware of at a very young age. Hardly traumatizing, it was nothing more than "Normal", and I pretended to breastfeed my dolls when I was young.

Funny story, we even have a home video of my younger brother right after he came home from the hospital, and my older brother, who was three at the time, tried to breastfeed him. :vlol: It's a common thing, nothing to be traumatized about, I find that ridiculous.

I see nothing wrong with the doll. Now if it actually did the sucking, I think that might be a bit too lifelike for a young girl, but it doesn't, so I see no harm. :p

Nannonxyay
08-08-09, 13:58
It's a bit weird and strange, but I doubt it would cause much trauma to the child. I never played with baby dolls when I was little. I used to play with Action Men and Spider-Man dolls. :vlol:

aileenwuornos
11-08-09, 14:29
My concerns:

1. Why is breast-feeding so unnatural and shameful? Being mammals, I'm 100% sure that's what breasts are actually in existence for.

2. I hate this "girls are pink, boys are blue" gender binary in general. God damn.

3.Okay, a mechanised clamping jaw on a toy kind of disturbs me more than the actual breastfeeding part does.

4. Don't buy your kids plastic crap like this, buy them interesting and insightful books instead, they will last forever and will be infinitely more rewarding for your offspring and yourself anyway.

I'm so glad my parents didn't let me play with crap like this when I was little. I was all about chemistry sets, tool sets, archeology books and pitching tents in my front yard and wanting to go camping ;)

adventurerLara
11-08-09, 14:34
2. I hate this "girls are pink, boys are blue" gender binary in general. God damn.

You've just went up in my estimation. ;)

Dennis's Mom
11-08-09, 15:19
I'm so glad my parents didn't let me play with crap like this when I was little. I was all about chemistry sets, tool sets, archeology books and pitching tents in my front yard and wanting to go camping ;)

I'm saddened your parents didn't let you choose your toys. Somehow forcing your ideals on children is OK so long as it's chemistry set? No need to reply, I'm sure you'll say that what you wanted anyway, which is totally cool. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/smilies/57.gif I believe children should be allowed to play, whatever form it takes.

But there's nothing wrong with a little girl playing with a doll, either. I just wish they'd stop telling children how to play with them by making them "play specific." When I was a little girl, Barbie was whatever I chose. Now she comes complete with pre-designated occupations and pastimes. :confused:

TRhalloween
11-08-09, 15:25
But there's nothing wrong with a little girl playing with a doll, either. I just wish they'd stop telling children how to play with them by making them "play specific." When I was a little girl, Barbie was whatever I chose. Now she comes complete with pre-designated occupations and pastimes. :confused:

It's because they didn't want Barbie to be a spoiled little slut anymore so they gave her jobs.

aileenwuornos
11-08-09, 15:36
It's because they didn't want Barbie to be a spoiled little slut anymore so they gave her jobs.

:(

I always thought it was because they wanted Barbie to move with the times ("girl power") and continue to make profit.

@ Dennis's Mom

Nah they never said that I couldn't get it, I never particularly wanted them for starters, but we've discussed as I got older and then they'd told me that they probably wouldn't have gotten them for me anyway. I think everyone should be allowed to "play" in some form or another, but it would be even better if we could find a way to make leisure activities meaningful in some educational/self-improvement sort of way. Learning is awesome ;)

Drone
11-08-09, 15:54
weird. cannot say it's a bad thing but it's weird

Noodleboy
11-08-09, 16:02
I don't know, I think it has a positive side and negative side. On the one hand, it might give younger children more of an idea of what the whole birds and bee thing is all about, on the other hand, some things are better left untouched, I mean, what happened to good old Baby Born?

Sir Croft
11-08-09, 17:40
I think it's bizarre that almost all girl's toys are related to women's role decades ago, such toys always have something to do with taking care of the baby or kitchen, it's like it's forcing the idea that it's what they will do when they grow up. They're kids, let them play as kids, give her a Barbie instead of a stove or a baby doll.

Dennis's Mom
11-08-09, 18:03

That is so offensive. My barbie was never a "spoiled slut." For a doll to be a "spoiled slut" a little girl would have to play like her doll was one. What a horrible thing to say about a child's toy and children in general.

MattTR
11-08-09, 18:05
Wow.. just wow.. :vlol: :p

Anyone ever see this?:

m6bpN6A6yc8

Cloe Christina
11-08-09, 18:22
the thing that bothers me is that mothers are getting younger and younger so this is just influencing children to have kids....
there putting things like these dolls in front of us, and expecting no effect....
why this doll was even developed is beyond me....

Mai
11-08-09, 19:56
...What an odd doll.

I know if I was younger I wouldn't want this.

Rai
11-08-09, 20:06

Couldn't agree more with this statement. Although I enjoyed playing with dolls, I also wasn't given a lot of choice to be honest. And I know that my eldest sister was frowned on when she favoured more 'boyish' toys. Toy shops and toy adverts still adhere to the boys are blue and girls are pink stuff. If I ever have a daughter - I would actually be upset if someone bought her a kitchen set or a toy iron or something - just because it's girly. All that domestic play crap annoys me, it really does.

ECB
11-08-09, 20:09
Hahaha. :vlol:

Wow...

Dennis's Mom
11-08-09, 20:09
the thing that bothers me is that mothers are getting younger and younger so this is just influencing children to have kids....
there putting things like these dolls in front of us, and expecting no effect....
why this doll was even developed is beyond me....

I disagree. The trend was to have children later in life (after college) only recently. My dad was fond of saying he was married with two kids at my age (low twenties) way back when.

If possessing a certain toy and "playing like" (to use the old term) resulted in a grown up behavior, we'd have a lot more cowboys, policemen astronauts and jedi knights. I don't think it's called "play" for no reason. Kids are having fun, trying out certain roles. I'm sure we all played "cops and robbers" at some point, and that required somebody to be the robber. Very doubtful that ever influenced anyone to steal.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a child young, provided you want a child. I think many girls just want the attention having a baby provides, sort of like I think most girls who are getting married today want a new dress and a big party, not to be married. Everyone wants to be the star, hence, youtube, blogger, and discussion forums where old people spout wisdom and pretend to know it all. :D

Trinity34
11-08-09, 20:14
Since when was a bottle not good enough for a kid to use to feed a doll? :p

t-raider26
11-08-09, 20:51
:yik: I thought that pregnant barbie and tramp stamp barbie were bad.. Thats just a bit to much...

xXhayleyroxXx
11-08-09, 22:30
i just clamped my hand over mouth i was that shocked!

aileenwuornos
12-08-09, 03:19
Couldn't agree more with this statement. Although I enjoyed playing with dolls, I also wasn't given a lot of choice to be honest. And I know that my eldest sister was frowned on when she favoured more 'boyish' toys. Toy shops and toy adverts still adhere to the boys are blue and girls are pink stuff. If I ever have a daughter - I would actually be upset if someone bought her a kitchen set or a toy iron or something - just because it's girly. All that domestic play crap annoys me, it really does.

Oh yes, I agree. If and when I adopt (I think 'natural' conception in a world as over-populated as ours is just despicable, period,) a child I'd be upset if someone decided they could pop my child into a "pink" or "blue" box. Domestic play crap annoys me as well, unless there was a way we could get our male children to be interested in it as well. But that still comes down to destroying the gender binary as male children tend to get called sexist insults like "girly", "wimpy" etc etc for wanting to play with these toys. ;)

Since when was a bottle not good enough for a kid to use to feed a doll? :p

I don't even know where to start.

Edit: Next post will be my 500th WOOH!

Indiana Croft
12-08-09, 03:32
Dumbest, most sexist idea. Why not a doll that plays football? Why breast feeding? Why perpetuate the stereotype that girls are meant to be baby poppers? Nice. Very nice.

SpongeBob Lover
12-08-09, 06:20
HAHAHA

wow that was a good laugh, i would never buy my child a doll like that!

Draco
12-08-09, 06:24
The very term 'age appropriate' is half the problem with most things these days.