PDA

View Full Version : VAT to increase to 20%?!

TR FAN 18
09-08-09, 09:21
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/5996163/Tories-study-plans-for-20-VAT.html

OK, I have always hated the government but if they do go ahead with this, I will be HATING them EVEN MORE! :mad:
I will SO NOT be voting for the Tories if they want to do this.

Goose
09-08-09, 09:25
Im definatly voting Conservative.

To be honest, how can tax's not go up? The government needs money. If Tax's rise the cost of living doesnt remember, if anything it goes down.

MariahCroft
09-08-09, 09:27
Weren't they just lowered to 15.9% from 17.5% not too long ago, wtf is up with the massive jump?

Goose
09-08-09, 09:29
It makes no sense to lower them in the first place, i guess they did the trial thing and realised it didnt work.

Kelly Craftman
09-08-09, 09:44

To be honest, how can tax's not go up? The government needs money. If Tax's rise the cost of living doesnt remember, if anything it goes down.

Second! the Labor government are trying to get liked by lowering every thing we hate like VAT and Tax, but then sortly realised its not going to work. i personally think that Conservatives have the brain cells to sort this thing out, if they were in power!

LightningRider
09-08-09, 09:44

Never thought about it that way. :tmb:

Though in our state I never would've at all. :rolleyes:

Goose
09-08-09, 09:46
Second! the Labor government are trying to get liked by lowering every thing we hate like VAT and Tax, but then sortly realised its not going to work. i personally think that Conservatives have the brain cells to sort this thing out, if they were in power!

Yea, well its always been between Labour and Conservative, Liberal Democrats are on the map but not really in the game!

If Tax's go up, people buy less, which effects supply and demand from private companies, meaning they lower the price of everything, so in the end cost of living doesn't change much.

lararoxs
09-08-09, 09:51
It's rumoured isn't it? IF elected, probably happen, then Conservatives would raise the VAT but no-one has commented on the 'supposed' VAT rise.

Ikas90
09-08-09, 09:54
OK, I have always hated the government but if they do go ahead with this, I will be HATING them EVEN MORE! :mad:

What do you think should be done to help get out of this recession then?

tampi
09-08-09, 10:03
Recently were published half-yearly profits of some banks in our country.
While they continue to benefit with billion , people suffer consequences of crisis. :pi:

I know very well whom aid/support all this.:o

Goose
09-08-09, 10:03

Nothing that involves us stimulating the economy :p.

We just have to sit and wait for all that oil we stole from Iraq to appear so we can sell it......

Greenkey2
09-08-09, 10:06

Large scale? I never studied economics. Small scale? Let's go barter.

Honestly. I see a lot to be said for co-operatives and material good/service swapping. You should see our vegetable garden - like Fort Knox;)

Mad Tony
09-08-09, 10:18
Eugh, I hate it when I disagree with my own party on things. I do strongly oppose this, however, given the current amount of debt Labour have gotten us into this kind of thing was inevitable. Labour will probably do this as well if they get elected, they just wont tell anyone until after the election. At least the Conservatives are being honest. In the end I guess there's no-one to blame but Labour.

Trigger_happy
09-08-09, 10:23
At least the raise would only be 2.5%. It could be worse.

Mad Tony
09-08-09, 10:26
At least the raise would only be 2.5%. It could be worse.Yeah. I guess when you look at it the VAT is already high anyway.

One tax I definitely would like to see come down is petrol. We pay some of the highest prices in the world for our petrol, all because of the government taxes on it. A very large part of the money you pay for petrol goes to the government, not the oil companies.

Goose
09-08-09, 10:27
Yeah. I guess when you look at it the VAT is already high anyway.

One tax I definitely would like to see come down is petrol. We pay some of the highest prices in the world for our petrol, all because of the government taxes on it. A very large part of the money you pay for petrol goes to the government, not the oil companies.

But then again we do have free health care that needs paying for, aswell as the MOD and police/Fire services.

Lost_Soul
09-08-09, 10:32
It already did here in Estonia, just a few weeks ago actually. It was always 18% but now it's 20%. TBH it doesn't make that much of a difference. But then again everything is too expensive here...guess I'm used to it.

Mad Tony
09-08-09, 10:46
But then again we do have free health care that needs paying for, aswell as the MOD and police/Fire services.Yeah but so do other countries but their petrol isn't anyway near as expensive. Really I think we need to cut public spending and cut taxes. I doubt that'll ever happen though.

stranger1992
09-08-09, 11:31
I wish Harriette Jones was in charge :(

..YES, we know who you are!

TRfan23
09-08-09, 12:27

:vlol:

I only liked her in doctor who because of her slight masculine way :) The way she just got on with things :D

scion05
09-08-09, 12:44

:vlol:

jackles
09-08-09, 12:52
The tories put the VAT up to 17.5% in the first place.

Mad Tony
09-08-09, 12:55
The way she just got on with things :DBit like Maragert Thatcher. :tmb: I don't care that she's 83 years old and has already served two terms - Thatcher for prime minister :D

Dennis's Mom
09-08-09, 13:33
As an American, I was shocked by the VAT system when I visited Europe. What a scam! Twenty percent? I don't know how you can afford anything by the time it gets to market.

Trigger_happy
09-08-09, 15:04
As an American, I was shocked by the VAT system when I visited Europe. What a scam! Twenty percent? I don't know how you can afford anything by the time it gets to market.

At least the price you see is the price you pay. In the US isn't things like sales tax added when you get to the register?

VAT is a necessary evil, but i think petrol duties should be carefully looked at. Like 60% of the price of fuel is made up of tax.

Mad Tony
09-08-09, 15:06
At least the price you see is the price you pay. In the US isn't things like sales tax added when you get to the register?

VAT is a necessary evil, but i think petrol duties should be carefully looked at. Like 60% of the price of fuel is made up of tax.Of course VAT is necessary, but does it really need to be that high?

Trigger_happy
09-08-09, 15:17
of course VAT is necessary, but does it really need to be that high?

True. Maybe a system of varied VAT price bands would help, so that the highest luxury goods are taxed at 20% or something, while food and clothing have lower values, and children's clothing has none like currently.

TR FAN 18
09-08-09, 15:28
It's gonna go back up to 17.5% in January 2010.

Goose
09-08-09, 15:57

We can afford it because when the price goes up, people buy elsewhere or cheaper versions of the same product, meaning companies are forced to lower there prices until people start buying them again.

Apofiss
09-08-09, 16:11
20%? ...oh, don't mind our 53% here in Latvia ( 9% VSAOI + 23% IIN + 21% PVN aka VAT ) ...long live corruption :D

Super Badnik
09-08-09, 17:49
I just heard on 4 news, apparentley it's not true, they haven't even talked about rising VAT to 20%

Dennis's Mom
09-08-09, 19:45

I depends on what state you live in. Alaska has no sales tax, however, some local municipalities (like Seward) do.

In Texas, the state sales tax is 6.25% per dollar. Counties and cities, among others, may add their own tax, but it can never exceed 8.25%. There are special taxing entities that may add additional taxes, like sport venues authorities, to hotel rooms and rent cars. I've paid almost 20% in taxes for a hotel room when these are added on.

The advantage of this is that it stays local rather than heading to some giant federal coffer.

Also, don't you pay VAT at the purchase point as well? I remember reading we could have applied for a refund of the VAT that we paid since we were not residents.