PDA

View Full Version : Influenced by Lara?

Solice
09-08-09, 21:04
Here (http://www.cinema.com/film/10440/gi-joe/gallery/page_2.phtml)

Inquiring minds want to know:confused::)

Lee croft
09-08-09, 21:06
just because she has brunette hair and two guns i dont think it means she is influenced by Lara Croft

Nerd For Life
09-08-09, 21:08
She looks more like Doppelhoe, if anything.

tombraiderluka
09-08-09, 21:10
Lara Croft was one of the first female characters in games.So it would be like every character is influenced by her. But I think they aren't :)

Tonyrobinson
09-08-09, 21:13
Well I'd say more of Selene from underworld. Look at the outfit :)

irjudd
09-08-09, 21:19
Do you think this guy was influenced by Mario?

http://i28.************/2wn9w2g.jpg

Tonyrobinson
09-08-09, 21:20
No! Who'd in their right mind want to be Mario :p

Nerd For Life
09-08-09, 21:23

[IMG]http://i28.************/2wn9w2g.jpg[IMG]

What do you mean, influenced?

He's only missing the hat, it is clearly Mario.

Lee croft
09-08-09, 21:24

my point excatly

Catapharact
09-08-09, 21:27
The Baroness was a character with the G.I. Joe Franchise way before the TR franchise took off. Should I assume that Lara Croft is a rip off of Baroness?

Honestly are people really THIS anxious to make threads?

tombraiderluka
09-08-09, 21:33

I think he is :p

snork
09-08-09, 21:36

No, by Harry Tuttle.

Super Badnik
09-08-09, 22:09
Of course she is inspired by Lara. Not directley like you think, but Lara inspired this type of female in fiction.

snork
09-08-09, 22:59
you are allowed to actually read the posts.
The Baroness was a character with the G.I. Joe Franchise way before the TR franchise took off. Should I assume that Lara Croft is a rip off of Baroness?

Super Badnik
09-08-09, 23:27
you are allowed to actually read the posts.I did more mean the poster rather than the history of the character.

Solice
10-08-09, 01:30
Of course she is inspired by Lara. Not directley like you think, but Lara inspired this type of female in fiction.

That is pretty much what I mean. Not like, "Hey, let's copy Lara". Lara has permeated the culture to the point where female gun wielding heroes use the ‘two guns-glasses-tight outfit’ style.

gtkilla
10-08-09, 01:34
I thought she was a little Lara inspired when I saw this too. Though, not from the guns, outfit, or glasses, but the giant belt buckle. :p

scremanie
10-08-09, 01:42
Well for the movie I would say they got a few ideas from a few other female characters. But all of those female characters are some how influenced by Lara in a way... so yes I would say... but she also reminds me of the chick from WET..

Catracoth
10-08-09, 01:46
So...if you dual wield guns, you were inspired by Lara Croft? Oh please. Signs of an obsessed fan, clearly.

Tombraiderx08
10-08-09, 01:48
pretty much every female heroin since 1996 has been influenced by lara :vlol:

Catracoth
10-08-09, 01:48
Heroin is a drug. Heroine is a female hero ;). Huge difference.

Tombraiderx08
10-08-09, 01:50
you know what i mean kitkat :p

scremanie
10-08-09, 01:57
OH YEAH. I seen this ad for Herron pain relief, do you think this was influence by Tomb Raider? seriously, I'm not being sarcastic. I cant seem to find it on youtube, but if anyone has ever seen it you will know.

It's got some woman climbing up a cliff face and flipping over to a ledge and putting a box of Herron tablets into a hole in the wall and that opens up a door thing to a treasure chest.. As soon as I seen it I thought of Lara.. the woman has a long ponytail and is wearing a black tight suit.

seashell093
10-08-09, 03:09
pretty much every female heroin since 1996 has been influenced by lara :vlol:

pretty much :vlol::p

Solice
10-08-09, 05:34
So...if you dual wield guns, you were inspired by Lara Croft? Oh please. Signs of an obsessed fan, clearly.

So who did the ‘two guns-glasses-tight outfit-big belt buckle’ thing before Lara? And even if you find an example, I bet it's obscure.

And if I am wrong...wait, I'm never wrong :mis::)

Pre-Lara? Emma Peel might have done it.

Quasimodo
10-08-09, 05:39
I think the dual handgun thing probably came from old Western movies. Toby Gard got the idea somewhere.

Catracoth
10-08-09, 05:48
So who did the ‘two guns-glasses-tight outfit-big belt buckle’ thing before Lara?

So if you dual wield guns and have sunglasses, a tight outfit and a belt buckle, you were inspired by Lara Croft? You're clearly an obsessed fan--please, take a break from Tomb Raider. What if said person has never heard of Lara Croft? How would you explain that? And please do not say, "Oh everyone knows who Lara is" because I can name several people off the bat who know nothing of Tomb Raider or Lara.

Quasimodo
10-08-09, 05:49
Woah. I don't think any of us here with more than a handful of posts have much room to pull the 'obsessed fan' card.

Catracoth
10-08-09, 05:52
Woah. I don't think any of us here with more than a handful of posts have much room to pull the 'obsessed fan' card.

It's pretty fair to make that judgement, what with the way this thread's been generalized. I mean, who else would say something like "Oh if you have a tight outfit and two guns, you copied Lara Croft"? Surely not any 'ole average gamer. I'm just calling it how I see it. And what does a post count have to do with it? Really though?

Quasimodo
10-08-09, 05:53
If you're wondering why people think you're confrontational...

Catracoth
10-08-09, 05:54
I'm not, thank you though. I know I am. But can I not state my opinion without this turning into a study of my personality?

tranniversary119
10-08-09, 06:02
I thought Lara when seeing this, but that's just what an "obsessed" tomb raider fan would do :rolleyes::p

Catracoth
10-08-09, 06:03
Ah, well now I know where my opinion isn't allowed.

Tombraiderx08
10-08-09, 06:33
Im pretty sure the one lady from Daxter is inspired by Lara :D

Admles
10-08-09, 06:38
Lara Croft was one of the first female characters in games.So it would be like every character is influenced by her. But I think they aren't :)
No, she really wasn't. Far from it actually.

Solice
10-08-09, 06:42
Ah, well now I know where my opinion isn't allowed.

You may express your opinion, even though we disagree :)

Indiana Croft
10-08-09, 07:04
The Baroness came before Lara Croft, so if anything its vice versa.

scremanie
10-08-09, 07:09
Lara is just Indiana Jones with a sex change. Every hardcore fan of Lara should know that...

Admles
10-08-09, 07:16
Lara is just Indiana Jones with a sex change. Every hardcore fan of Lara should know that...
Basically lol.

There female video game characters 10 years before Lara!

scremanie
10-08-09, 07:25
Basically lol.

There female video game characters 10 years before Lara!

True. But a large percent of them were all based in Side Scroll games or top-down games. You hardly knew they were woman except if you looked on the cover :p

Lara Croft and Tomb Raider pretty much set the standards for all female and 3rd person adventure games beyond its release. You can find influences in a vary of games after Tomb Raider hit the charts. I'm thankful for that :D

But I'm not saying that every game and every female after Lara was influenced by her. Just a majority of them were, in some way at least. :)

Johnnay
10-08-09, 07:30

and there was Chun Li who unforunately was one of the most popular female video game characters to exist way before Lara( or maybe the first known lady)

oh and of course there was way more females in Video Games before Lara existed. Starring off with

Jill Valentine
Chun Li
Nina Williams
Sarah Bryant

Admles
10-08-09, 07:33
and there was Chun Li who unforunately was one of the most popular female video game characters to exist way before Lara( or maybe the first known lady)

oh and of course there was way more females in Video Games before Lara existed. Starring off with

Jill Valentine
Chun Li
Nina Williams
Sarah Bryant
Plus the girls from the first DOA game

Dark Lugia 2
10-08-09, 07:58
She doesnt look inspired by Lara at all to me.

Jedd Fletcher
10-08-09, 08:05

Honestly are people really THIS anxious to make threads?

Motto. The Baroness is her own thing, with the sunglasses and the leather. She also barely uses twin guns in the movie or even the cartoons.

LightningRider
10-08-09, 08:42
True. But a large percent of them were all based in Side Scroll games or top-down games. You hardly knew they were woman except if you looked on the cover :p

Lara Croft and Tomb Raider pretty much set the standards for all female and 3rd person adventure games beyond its release. You can find influences in a vary of games after Tomb Raider hit the charts. I'm thankful for that :D

But I'm not saying that every game and every female after Lara was influenced by her. Just a majority of them were, in some way at least. :)

Bingo. :tmb:

Yes, there were others, but Lara was the one whot "Women In Video games Who beat the **** out of guys can Sell Too." :p

Jack Croft
10-08-09, 08:52
It would more of an insult if that was inspired by Lara as the movie is pure crap. :tmb:

Trigger_happy
10-08-09, 09:25
So who did the ‘two guns-glasses-tight outfit-big belt buckle’ thing before Lara? And even if you find an example, I bet it's obscure.

And if I am wrong...wait, I'm never wrong :mis::)

Pre-Lara? Emma Peel might have done it.

The Baroness- the person in the original post. She beats Lara by over a decade. So unless her designers invented a time machine to go into the future to copy a washed up game character to wind up their fans, she is before Lara.

As Catracoth said, it is a little short sighted to immediately assume that Lara caused the design of every female character. Other people do invent female characters.

erosan
10-08-09, 10:07
Here (http://www.cinema.com/film/10440/gi-joe/gallery/page_2.phtml)

Inquiring minds want to know:confused::)

No.

Lara Croft!
10-08-09, 13:08
just because she has brunette hair and two guns i dont think it means she is influenced by Lara Croft

She looks more like Doppelhoe, if anything.

Agreed!

Solice
10-08-09, 23:32
it is a little short sighted to immediately assume that Lara caused the design of every female character. Other people do invent female characters.

That is not what I said or implied.

Also, 'influenced' is not 'copied'. There is a subtle but notable difference.

And...this thread really was not meant to be a serious debate, just an offhanded observation. I don’t take it all that seriously.:)

Catapharact
10-08-09, 23:34
Then why make a thread on it? If its nothing but generic convesatoin material to you then why not post it up in the Chat Thread?

LaraRules81
10-08-09, 23:38
I thought Lara when seeing this, but that's just what an "obsessed" tomb raider fan would do :rolleyes::p

I'm an "obsessed" Tomb Raider fan :D Yet, I never saw any similarities between them?

Solice
11-08-09, 05:53
Then why make a thread on it? If its nothing but generic convesatoin material to you then why not post it up in the Chat Thread?

It was still worthy of discussion, just not a heated discussion.