PDA

View Full Version : Man Jailed for Yawning

Super Badnik
10-08-09, 23:40
A man in the US has received a six-month jail sentence for yawning "boisterously" in court.

Clifton Williams, 33, was attending the Will County Courthouse in Illinois to hear the sentencing of his cousin, who had pleaded guilty to a drugs charge.

As Judge Daniel Rozak delivered his verdict of two years' probation, Williams let out a yawn.

The judge responded by giving Williams a six-month prison sentence, the maximum penalty for criminal contempt without a trial by jury.

The Chicago Tribune reported Williams' father, Clifton Williams Snr, as commenting, "I was flabbergasted. I didn't realise a judge could do that. It seems to me like a yawn is an involuntary action."

A spokesman for the Illinois attorney's office said the prosecutor in the courtroom that day told him that "it was not a simple yawn, it was a loud and boisterous attempt to disrupt the proceedings."

The judge's order sentencing Williams to six months in jail found that he "raised his hands while at the same time making a loud yawning sound" that caused the judge to "break from the proceedings."

"I really can't believe I'm in jail," Williams later commented in a letter to his family. "I done set (sic) in this [expletive] a week so far for nothing."Source (http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=149101922)

Any thoughts? Personally i thought it was more than a little harsh (extremely and stupidley harsh), espically since a yawn only interrupts for just over a second and he may not have even done it on purpose. Plus it's scary how much power these judges seem to have.

LaraRules81
10-08-09, 23:42
Pathetic.

da tomb raider!
10-08-09, 23:43
Far too harsh if you ask me. Whether he was trying to be disruptive or not, a warning would have been fine.

peeves
10-08-09, 23:43
Well why would a judge jail a person just for yawning? It's ridculous to jail a person just for yawning inadvertantly.

Tombraiderx08
10-08-09, 23:44
its really not fair that the law punishes people so harshly for stupid things and all the serious things get a smack on the hand

drakl0r
10-08-09, 23:45
Although it's a bit rude, but I don't think he deserved to be jailed.

Sir Croft
10-08-09, 23:45
*yawns*

:p
That's stupid. Like, really stupid.

tombraiderluka
11-08-09, 00:04
He gets 6 months for yawning, but some celebs get 2 mins for doing tso much worse things :eek: Wow.. :rolleyes:

Rivendell
11-08-09, 00:09
He deserved it. How dare he yawn boisterously. Throw away that key, I say.

Dennis's Mom
11-08-09, 00:16
Well, this guy may have been asking for it. We don't know how he behaved during the proceedings otherwise. This may have been the last straw. *shrugs*

igonge
11-08-09, 00:24
The Judge was probably ****ed off that day and the yawn annoyed him.

Nerd For Life
11-08-09, 00:25
...Seriously?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/fading_away/2uffvr9.gif

scoopy_loopy
11-08-09, 00:27
There could be any number of reasons the judge did it, maybe this "Cousin" was in the whole thing and judge decided to get alittle vendetta style.

Rai
11-08-09, 00:31
Wow, even if it was one of those really big exaggerated yawns, I wouldn't have thought jail was the way. That's is stupidly harsh. That judge must have had a really bad day before that.

Or maybe it was a mix up? The six months was for the cousin but the wrong man got taken to jail? I'm kidding of course. :p

tombraiderluka
11-08-09, 00:32
Well, this guy may have been asking for it. We don't know how he behaved during the proceedings otherwise. This may have been the last straw. *shrugs*
I guess you could be right here. The article is quite misleading..

Hybrid Soldier
11-08-09, 00:34
LMAO. I'm sorry but that's really stupid.. but incredibly funny at the same time. I feel sorry for that guy.. he got owned for yawning.

TRfan23
11-08-09, 01:57
This is no match to a teacher at my school who gave out after school detentions to people who hiccuped, yawned, coughed or sneezed in class... ;) Apart from that he was a very nice teacher, me and him got on very well lol :)

Indiana Croft
11-08-09, 02:39
How the hell can you do that? Abuse of power much? No seriously is that even legal? Like how did that sentence go through. Human rights violation all over this incident! :ohn:

Drone
11-08-09, 04:07
6 month for yawn?! ... what if he urinated there.

Ikas90
11-08-09, 04:21
IMO the Judge should go to jail for 6 months for carrying out such a penalty.

myrmaad
11-08-09, 04:25
It seems to me that you shouldn't be a smartass in a courtroom.

Uzi master
11-08-09, 04:34
that judge is miss using his power, is there any law against yawning in a court room? even if he was snorky or something putting him in jail is just over-reacting.

snork
11-08-09, 09:00
I really do not get it how there seems to not be any kind of board controlling judges for not abusing their position.

What is a yawn - however disturbing on purpose it was - compared to the damage on the general percetion of justice / court quality this judge
inflicted with this ridicolous behaviour.

Would he be treated with his own abusive way of judging I think he would not see the light of day ever again.

even if he was snorky ...
:confused: Now I need a list of countries where this would be a problem. :(

TR FAN 18
11-08-09, 09:31
Errr... WTF? How does just yawning in court carry a 6 MONTH jail sentence? I would probably understand if it was a short sentence of like a week but 6 months is really just excessive! How the hell was the judge allowed to do that?! :mad:

Draco
11-08-09, 09:35
I'd hold an asshole in contempt too. People don't yawn when they are alert and energized.

rowanlim
11-08-09, 09:50
So silly. I can't believe this really happened :rolleyes:

Johnnay
11-08-09, 10:40
Woot
something random happened

wow. just plain wow:confused:

viper456
11-08-09, 10:54
Yawn in my court room and it would be OFF WITH YOUR HEADS! Never mind 6 months in the slammer :p

Spong
11-08-09, 11:17
He deserved it. How dare he yawn boisterously. Throw away that key, I say.

^^This. It's sickening to see such degradation of society. People like that are worse than paedophiles...or something.

*sigh*

Only in America :rolleyes:

Noodleboy
11-08-09, 11:18
Way harsh

Goose
11-08-09, 11:22
I find it hard to believe, the judge alone wouldnt have over all authority to do it, so im guessing a few people had a hand in the sentance. Which leads me to believe the guy was being an idiot.

6 months is abit excessive, even if the person doesnt have any respect for law, but then again, the chances of him serving that time are slim.

Fish.
11-08-09, 11:45
What the ****? Six months for yawning? That's not right...

BlackRainbow
11-08-09, 11:53
Seriously? O_o
Kinda... childish if you ask me.

MariahCroft
11-08-09, 11:54
http://i30.************/o86ob7.jpg

stranger1992
11-08-09, 11:54
I think its the offender's fault. That is, if the judge asked him to stop, and he did not. But, 6 months is still..too long. Overnight stay at the very max.

xXhayleyroxXx
11-08-09, 11:55
thats absolutely pathetic and unjust.

Mad Tony
11-08-09, 12:21
Only in America :rolleyes:Oh we all knew that was coming :rolleyes:

Some people are acting as if this is the worst atrocity ever to committed in human history. Sure, it's a bit excessive and definitely out of the ordinary, but as Goose said, the chances of him serving this sentence are very slim.

What about places like North Korea where you can get thrown into labor camps for years just for criticizing the regime? Now that is ****ed up,

Jack Croft
11-08-09, 12:25
I would have disguised mine, but its still stupid.

Cristina
11-08-09, 12:39
That was realy stupid! 0_o

Angelus
11-08-09, 12:40
[insert generic OMG THAT'S STUPID comment here]

tombofwinston
11-08-09, 12:44
Thats Rediculous, a waste of money to keep that guy in jail, which could be used for more urgent maters.

adventurerLara
11-08-09, 13:24
If it was a genuine yawn, it was at an unfortunate time, in the wrong context. Even if it wasn't, those are not fair grounds to prosecute a person.

LightningRider
11-08-09, 13:28
Meh, he had it coming. I mean the cousin is always the partner of the enemy in the movies, why not real life? :rolleyes:

Chocola teapot
11-08-09, 13:31
Rediculous.

TRfan23
11-08-09, 14:20
What about places like North Korea where you can get thrown into labor camps for years just for criticizing the regime? Now that is ****ed up,

...and that coup in China when all those students were once protesting against the government and the government wanted it covered up, as they sent out troops to kill a load of innocent students :( Go there an mentioned it to them, you get shot yourself :(

Mad Tony
11-08-09, 14:25
...and that coup in China when all those students were once protesting against the government and the government wanted it covered up, as they sent out troops to kill a load of innocent students :( Go there an mentioned it to them, you get shot yourself :(You mean Tienanmen Square? Yeah, that's pretty messed up too.

Encore
11-08-09, 14:38
If he was fined, I still wouldn't agree with it but at least it wouldn't be this unreasonable. There's really no excuse for the judge to do something like this unless he's on a power trip. :p

Draco
12-08-09, 06:21
I would have disguised mine, but its still stupid.

He didn't yawn because he was tired.

Domino
12-08-09, 07:41
What the hell!