PDA

View Full Version : Between clothing sizes...

Anne Boleyn
11-08-09, 20:23
If you're between two clothing sizes, do you think it's better to go with an outfit slightly too big or slightly too small?

:(

I don't want to look like I'm wearing an outsize, baggy top but I also don't want to look like I've been vacuum packed into one! Argh! Any help here?!

tombraiderluka
11-08-09, 20:25
I'd go with slightly bigger size. I have a friend who wears teeny tiny things. it looks ridicilous :)

Catracoth
11-08-09, 20:25
Slightly too big is always good--they could always shrink in the wash.

Lee croft
11-08-09, 20:26
plus you could always grow into them

nickless
11-08-09, 20:27
yup :) and it depends on the material :D

miss.haggard
11-08-09, 20:29
Big for sure.

Catracoth
11-08-09, 20:30
plus you could always grow into them

Yeah but then again, you could always lose weight for the smaller size.

EgyptianSoul
11-08-09, 20:33
A little too big is better than too small. :)

What I really find ugly is women with some good healthy weight on them stuffing themselves into clothes that are too small. They end up looking like "sausages" for lack of a better word.

Generally too small is a definite no-no.

Lee croft
11-08-09, 20:34

true! but it all depends

miss.haggard
11-08-09, 20:36
I always hate bigger jeans though, atleast when they make your butt look frumpy :p

Shauni
11-08-09, 20:44
I used to be between sizes, and I tried the tight stuff for a while. But even if you're skinny, if you wear tight stuff it'll squish the tiny bits of fat you might have, and make it more noticeable. Looks awful, unless you're insanely fit and perfect! xD But yeah, bigger is probably a safer choice. You can shrink them in the dryer if you're worried about it. :)

Joely-Moley
11-08-09, 20:46
Bigger for sure. There's loads of girls at my college who aren't fat in the slightest, but by wearing clothing that is too small, it makes them look a lot bigger than they are.

Encore
11-08-09, 21:17
Bigger is the best choice.

Unless the person is very fat and the diference in size is too big, because it's horrible when people try to hide their bodies inside "trash bags".

Squibbly
11-08-09, 21:25
As other people have said, a little bigger is best. Clothes often shrink a little bit, anyway.
Smaller can look a little too snug and be uncomfortable.

Anne Boleyn
11-08-09, 21:51
Thanks, guys, I think I'll go with bigger!

Well, since I bought two different tops (one bigger. one smaller) from two different shops, I'm going to take them both back and cross the sizes over. For some reason, Topshop sizes seem bigger than River Island (I'm in the UK!) so maybe I'll swap the River Island top for the bigger size abd the Topshop one for smaller - just to see if that makes a difference!

Love2Raid
11-08-09, 21:59
I know Anne's question has already been answered. But yeah, bigger is better. You could make it a bit smaller yourself, but when you buy something too small, it's much harder (or most of the time impossible) to make it bigger.

No! :eek: That's a big mistake! :o
A lot of people think they will lose wait and buy the smaller size, but they never do.... leaving a closet full of lovely but useless clothes. :o

Rai
12-08-09, 00:02
I know where you're coming from Anne. I can be one size for one pair of trousers and the next size up for another. It often depends on the cut. I tend to go for the larger size as I'll feel too conscious in a tighter fit. But then if you're not careful the larger size can look too baggy :hea:. Luckily I only have the problem with trousers and sometimes with skirts. I rarely need to try on tops as I can be confident that one size will do - usually.

When will designers learn that we don't always fit into their neat little size boxes. :vlol:

I was rummaging in the clearance rails at the supermarket today and found a pair of trousers that were my size but in the petite range, convinced I wouldn't fit into them, only they fit perfectly. I mean I'm slim but I'm not petite. :confused:

Anne Boleyn
12-08-09, 00:35
Well there goes my plan of not eating til Sunday night! KO!

You're right, Raj, sizes depend on the cut, the shop, the designer and the day! Weird! I really should try things on in the shops but it's such a pain, I always end up buying then returning. They must hate me!

Now the real decision - black-and-white or black-and-red?! :P I'm thinking black-and-red just cos it'll stand out more. It's a work night out, btw - I want to look a little bit wonderful!

iamlaracroft
12-08-09, 00:38
get the next size up, then take them to a seamstress and have them taken in to fit you perfectly.

Raider1969
12-08-09, 00:56
I would also buy the bigger size, as clothes fit better by buying the bigger size. Some people wear a few sizes smaller and it does not look good.
Black and red is a good combination to wear. Have fun. :D

coolaideonfire
12-08-09, 01:11
I always try to try on the clothes in store because they all fit differently depending on brand, material, etc so you can never be certain just by reading labels. I'm between sizes and usually go for slightly larger since most items shrink in the wash anyway.

peeves
12-08-09, 01:22
Little too big for me except jeans of course when they fall down without me tugging on them.
Though i could wear a belt for that.

Melonie Tomb Raider
12-08-09, 02:09
Slightly bigger is always better than slightly smaller. Always.

I'm very slim and I still find it much more flattering to wear something slightly too big as opposed to slightly too small. But of course, having the perfect fit is best. :p

ihatecold17
12-08-09, 02:27
i have a similar problem- being tall and skinny. I usually can fit into a medium in shirts but I have to be careful about not wearing belly shirts lol. Always go the size larger if your'e unsure

Little-Lara
12-08-09, 03:04
Ohh geez. :p Loos like I'm the only one who'll choose smaller. two reasons: looks nice ;) and the material stretches out after few washes.

Melonie Tomb Raider
12-08-09, 07:30
Ohh geez. :p Loos like I'm the only one who'll choose smaller. two reasons: looks nice ;) and the material stretches out after few washes.

Depends on the material. Most of them shrink after some washes, actually. :p

Lintal
12-08-09, 09:20
Jeans are soo annnoying! if they fit perfectly about 2 weeks later,they wont.

Kelly Craftman
12-08-09, 09:37
bit too big! you can put a belt over the top to make it look slimer or the right size!

Little-Lara
13-08-09, 02:34
Depends on the material. Most of them shrink after some washes, actually. :p

O you know what? I hand wash my work fancies to retain their texture and detail, which end up stretching a bit. I get you, cause I laundry/machine dry my home clothes which, yes, does shrink over time.

Shark_Blade
13-08-09, 02:45
Big cause you can always go to the tailor and mend them back to your size. :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-08-09, 04:19
O you know what? I hand wash my work fancies to retain their texture and detail, which end up stretching a bit. I get you, cause I laundry/machine dry my home clothes which, yes, does shrink over time.

Oh I see, that definitely makes a difference. :)