PDA

View Full Version : Is Cosmetic Testing Now Illegal?

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 16:35
Hey, I've seen articles saying cosmetic testing on on animals in now illegal and I'm pretty sure I got an email of PETA confirming this. Butttt their website still has companies that test and do not, and im wanting to know FOR CERTAIN if this is true. Can anyone confirm it?

xxx

It really would mean a lot as it is something I feel very strongly about

jackles
12-08-09, 16:42
I have just found an article that says it was banned in the UK in 1998.

here (http://www.aboutanimaltesting.co.uk/animal-testing-cosmetics.html)

They possibly show companies that use chemicals that have been tested in the past on animals.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 16:44
But is all makeup in the eu not tested on animals? and thanks jackles, all help muchly appreiciated :ton:

EDIT:'The European Union (EU), however, is poised for an almost full ban by 2009 on the sales of cosmetics tested by animals'.
^^^ So they're not allowed to sell products tested on animals in the eu?

'L'oreal is a massive cosmetics company that is based in France. France is protesting the proposed ban within the EU.'.

And also does this mean that l'oreal products sold in england are tested on animals, or does it mean they're not :S

Mad Tony
12-08-09, 16:47
Probably in the EU since I know how much they like to interfere with business and such. I doubt animal testing for cosmetic purposes has been banned in other European countries though.

robm_2007
12-08-09, 16:48
what?! no more putting lipstick on monkeys? how ever will women know if the shade looks good?

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 16:49
Just as long as I find out all makeup is Britain is not tested on animals :ton:

Love2Raid
12-08-09, 17:05
what?! no more putting lipstick on monkeys? how ever will women know if the shade looks good?

:vlol:!!

I don't know if it's illegal in Europe, but I have seen many anti-campains and most companies refrain from testing on animals because a lot of people became aware of it and don't buy that stuff anymore (including me). :)
I'd rather pay more than buy something that has (unnecessary) been tested on animals.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 17:07
:vlol:!!

I don't know if it's illegal in Europe, but I have seen many anti-campains and most companies refrain from testing on animals because a lot of people became aware of it and don't buy that stuff anymore (including me). :)
I'd rather pay more than buy something that has (unnecessary) been tested on animals.

same which is why i made this thread :hug: I think it's disgusting. I just need to know if all makeup brands do not test on animals in england.

Catracoth
12-08-09, 17:31
I just need to know if all makeup brands do not test on animals in england.

Do you need to know, or do you want to know?
;)
You could always look at the products before you buy it. More often than not, it will say 'Not tested on animals.' If it doesn't, it most likely is.

It's not illegal in the United States, but people (including PETA, :rolleyes:) are working hard to get rid of it. While I remain apathetic on the subject, I just don't think it's right to test on the animals. What have they done to deserve it? Test in on the humans--humans suck anyway and deserve whatever harm comes from their stupid products.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 17:33
I do look at the products, if it says dermatoligically tested, that also does not neccessarily mean its tested on animals.

And i would like to know,i may not need but it's something I feel very strongly about.

Drone
12-08-09, 17:39
today it's a cow, tomorrow it's you :wve:

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 17:40
today it's a cow, tomorrow it's you :wve:

what :o?

Catracoth
I do look at the products, if it says dermatoligically tested, that also does not neccessarily mean its tested on animals.

Things must be different in England, because in America it's simple. It either says:

'Not tested on animals.'
or
Nothing. Which means it probably is tested on animals, and they just won't admit it in fear of losing a product sale.

Mad Tony
Test in on the humans--humans suck anyway and deserve whatever harm comes from their stupid products.I must ask, will you be one of them?

Seriously though, I can't understand why some people are so hostile towards their own species. Not to mention suggesting we forcefully test products on humans instead of animals is cruel.

Joely-Moley
12-08-09, 17:42
You could always drop an email to the company asking if they do or not.
And as Catracoth said, I think most products do say if they aren't tested on animals and if they don't say anything then they more than likely are tested on them.

I'm sure there's still cosmetic company's in the UK that do use animal testing though.

Catracoth
12-08-09, 17:42
I must ask, will you be one of them?

Seriously though, I can't understand why some people are so hostile towards their own species. Not to mention suggesting we forcefully test products on humans instead of animals is cruel.

I'm misanthropic. Sue me.

And I never said to forcefully test on humans. My implication was that those making the cosmetics should test it on themselves instead of animals.

Mad Tony
12-08-09, 17:44
I'm misanthropic. Sue me.

And I never said to forcefully test on humans. My implication was that those making the cosmetics should test it on themselves instead of animals.Why are you misanthropic?

If you were the owner of a company selling cosmetic products, would you test them on yourself first? I know I certainly wouldn't. It's cheaper and easier to do it on animals and no humans get harmed.

No I don't want to sue you.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 17:45
the thing about testing on humans is that if its not tested on animals its ested on yourself, and im quie ready to do that if it saves an animal pain.

Drone
12-08-09, 17:45
what :o?

I mean that I'm against tests on animals. As long as it's banned I'm happy. If they do it to animals they can try it on humans aswel. Like fascists carried their crazy experiments on healthy people in Treblinka concentration camps.

Catracoth
12-08-09, 17:48
Why are you misanthropic?

If you were the owner of a company selling cosmetic products, would you test them on yourself first? I know I certainly wouldn't.

I just am. I have my reasons, but I shan't get into them on a public forum, for they may offend a large amount of people here.

And I wouldn't be the owner of cosmetic products because I don't appreciate all that crap. They make you think you need make-up to be beautiful.

It's cheaper and easier to do it on animals and no humans get harmed.

So you'd rather harm a poor defenceless animal, who has absolutely no say in the matter just to save your own skin? How selfish and condescending.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 17:52
I mean that I'm against tests on animals. As long as it's banned I'm happy. If they do it to animals they can try it on humans aswel. Like fascists carried their crazy experiments on healthy people in Treblinka concentration camps.

Oh right I get you now. Yep its horrible.

@Catracoth - yeah exactly, an animal feels pain just as much as us and they have no say in the matter :(

I honestly dont trust companies anymore since the Mars scandal of putting baby cow stomach enzymes in chocolate...
Btw I'm vegetarian so that was a scandal to me

Mad Tony
12-08-09, 17:58
So you'd rather harm a poor defenceless animal, who has absolutely no say in the matter just to save your own skin? How selfish and condescending.I don't use cosmetic products anyway, but I think if it would help bring more profits to the business to use animals I'm not opposed to it. By that same token, if a company wants to find other ways to test their products without using animals then I'm all for it. Hardly selfish.

Oh right I get you now. Yep its horrible.

@Catracoth - yeah exactly, an animal feels pain just as much as us and they have no say in the matter :(

I honestly dont trust companies anymore since the Mars scandal of putting baby cow stomach enzymes in chocolate...
Btw I'm vegetarian so that was a scandal to meMars the chocolate company?

Punaxe
12-08-09, 18:08
The Cosmetics Directive foresees a regulatory framework with the aim of phasing out animal testing. It establishes a prohibition to test finished cosmetic products and cosmetic ingredients on animals (testing ban), and a prohibition to market in the European Community, finished cosmetic products and ingredients included in cosmetic products which were tested on animals (marketing ban). The testing ban on finished cosmetic products applies since 11 September 2004, whereas the testing ban on ingredients or combination of ingredients will apply step by step as soon as alternative methods are validated and adopted, but with a maximum cut-off date of 6 years after entry into force of the Directive, i.e., 11 March 2009, irrespective of the availability of alternative non-animal tests. The marketing ban will apply step by step as soon as alternative methods are validated and adopted in EU legislation with due regard to the OECD validation process. This marketing ban will be introduced at the latest 6 years after entry into force of the Directive, i.e., 11 March 2009, for all human health effects with the exception of repeated-dose toxicity, reproductive toxicity and toxicokinetics. For these specific health effects, a deadline of 10 years after entry into force of the Directive is foreseen, i.e., 11 March 2013, irrespective of the availability of alternative non-animal tests.
Emphasis mine. Source (http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/cosmetics/html/cosm_animal_test.htm).

So if I get that right, it has all been banned in the EU as of March 11th this year, with a few exceptions that will be banned in 2013.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 18:14
I don't use cosmetic products anyway, but I think if it would help bring more profits to the business to use animals I'm not opposed to it. By that same token, if a company wants to find other ways to test their products without using animals then I'm all for it. Hardly selfish.

Mars the chocolate company?

yep mars the chocolate company. Its ok too many vegetarians complained :ton: Everythning is back to normal. Oh is only people knew what was actually in food... animals bone, crushed beetles, cow entrails in makeup...

EDIT: Thanks Punake! So toget this straight, all makeup companies do now not test on animals? (in the eu, england)?

Mad Tony
12-08-09, 18:15
yep mars the chocolate company. Its ok too many vegetarians complained :ton: Everythning is back to normal. Oh is only people knew what was actually in food... animals bone, crushed beetles, cow entrails in makeup...My dad used to work for them. No, he was not in charge of the cow testing centers before you ask lol.

Yeah, animal rights activists do normally complain until they get their own way.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 18:21
My dad used to work for them. No, he was not in charge of the cow testing centers before you ask lol.

Yeah, animal rights activists do normally complain until they get their own way.

oh right lol

but tbh it wasnt very fair... i choose not to eat meat because I personally do not want to eat animals and they put cow stomach enzyme in chocolate, one of my favourite things :( But everything is good now :ton:

On- Topic - Im still confused:ton:

Punaxe
12-08-09, 18:24
I'm not sure what those health-related exception exactly mean so I'm not entirely sure if it's all gone (perhaps companies found a loophole to use those exceptions in all cases, you never know), but I suppose it's safe to say that animal testing is almost entirely gone.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 18:27
I'm not sure what those health-related exception exactly mean so I'm not entirely sure if it's all gone (perhaps companies found a loophole to use those exceptions in all cases, you never know), but I suppose it's safe to say that animal testing is almost entirely gone.

thanks for your advice :hug: For now I'll continue to use brands I trust until I can safely say everything cosmetic wise is not tested on animals.

Old habits are hard to break.:hug: :ton:

Punaxe
12-08-09, 18:30
thanks for your advice :hug: For now I'll continue to use brands I trust until I can safely say everything cosmetic wise is not tested on animals.

Old habits are hard to break.:hug: :ton:

You still have till 2013 to entirely break them. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 18:32
You still have till 2013 to entirely break them. :p

hehe what about foreign companies :confused: can they import tested brands?

will all loop-holes be closed in 2013?

Punaxe
12-08-09, 18:45
hehe what about foreign companies :confused: can they import tested brands?

will all loop-holes be closed in 2013?

Well the thing I pasted didn't mention loopholes, it mentioned exceptions, but I'm not so much into the whole cosmetics legislation so I don't really know what it meant, but those exceptions will be banned in 2013, so at that point, no matter what, testing the product itself or ingredients of it is no longer allowed, and neither is selling that stuff in the EU even if it's produced abroad.

Assuming the few exception that there are now aren't much of a deal, it's all pretty much already banned.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 18:48
Well the thing I pasted didn't mention loopholes, it mentioned exceptions, but I'm not so much into the whole cosmetics legislation so I don't really know what it meant, but those exceptions will be banned in 2013, so at that point, no matter what, testing the product itself or ingredients of it is no longer allowed, and neither is selling that stuff in the EU even if it's produced abroad.

Assuming the few exception that there are now aren't much of a deal, it's all pretty much already banned.

you're such a life-saver :ton: thats EXACTLY what i wanted to hear. i've waited so long for this... and finnaly :hug::jmp:

Punaxe
12-08-09, 18:52
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8640/busruf.jpg

Ba-dum tish.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 18:54
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8640/busruf.jpg

Ba-dum tish.

lmao :ton::hug: xxxx

Encore
12-08-09, 21:59
Hey, I've seen articles saying cosmetic testing on on animals in now illegal and I'm pretty sure I got an email of PETA confirming this. Butttt their website still has companies that test and do not, and im wanting to know FOR CERTAIN if this is true. Can anyone confirm it?

xxx

It really would mean a lot as it is something I feel very strongly about

I hope it is..

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 23:38
I hope it is..

apparently it is but PETA still hasnt changed its website... but then again PETA is an american company

hmmm

Mad Tony
12-08-09, 23:39
PETA seem to care more about animals than they do about humans. There are way better animal rights organizations out there.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-08-09, 23:45
PETA seem to care more about animals than they do about humans. There are way better animal rights organizations out there.

which ones are better? i havnt really heard of many

and yeah PETA do wrong but i care more about animals too...

Joely-Moley
12-08-09, 23:59

This.
I hate peta, and I'm a strong animal rights activist.

Catracoth
13-08-09, 00:06

Hear hear. I can't stand PETA at all. I think they're purely focused on aggravating people more than getting justice for animals.

Mad Tony
13-08-09, 00:09
which ones are better? i havnt really heard of many

and yeah PETA do wrong but i care more about animals too...WSPA are a good example

http://www.wspa.org.uk/

Why do you care more about animals? You're a human yourself. :confused:

xXhayleyroxXx
13-08-09, 00:17
WSPA are a good example

http://www.wspa.org.uk/

Why do you care more about animals? You're a human yourself. :confused:

thanks for the link :p

and i dunno, well equally. Humans are horrible to animals as we're the dominant species :mad:

Mad Tony
13-08-09, 00:20
Some humans are horrible to animals. Don't see why that should be a reason to favor animals over your own species though.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-08-09, 00:26
Some humans are horrible to animals. Don't see why that should be a reason to favor animals over your own species though.

okay equal to ;)

im the type of person who cries their eyes out over accidently squishing a snail

Catracoth
13-08-09, 00:33
Wow, you really care about animals. Good for you Hayley, :tmb:!

xXhayleyroxXx
13-08-09, 00:35
Wow, you really care about animals. Good for you Hayley, :tmb:!

thanks :ton: and yeah i do, our family take in animals which the rspca can not keep due to shelter space , so yeah we have a lot of second-chace animals because they deserve a nice life :(