PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 Elite dropping to 299 bucks

Johnnay
13-08-09, 05:55
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10308200-1.html

discuss

jaywalker
13-08-09, 07:29
Ooh price drops a plenty coming :) ps3 next ;)

Survival
13-08-09, 07:39
Still not worth my money. Neither is PS3 though :).

I will propably buy X360 or PS3 when there´s X666 and PS4 :-/

larson n natla
13-08-09, 10:55
I dont know how much that translates into £££ but I bought mine in 07 with loads of games for a really good deal and Im happy only rrod once and that was fixed and made my xbox quieter within 2 weeks :D

robm_2007
13-08-09, 16:28
a $100 price drop?!!! :eek::tmb:

so, then the prices will be

Elite-$299
Pro-$199
Arcade-$99? $99 for and Xbox 360? thats a hella good price! unless the Pro is going to be the new Arcade, and the Arcade edition be discontinued; but im just guessing.

im assuming that they are going to make a new Xbox 360 Edition that is $399; with a bigger hardrive and goodies

miss.haggard
13-08-09, 16:33
IMO Arcade isnt worth it, if you ever want to play on XBL or DL anything, you have to go buy the harddrive, which of course will cost you more than just buying it upfront in the first place.

KC Mraz
13-08-09, 16:51
a $100 price drop?!!! :eek::tmb:

so, then the prices will be

Elite-$299
Pro-$199
Arcade-$99? $99 for and Xbox 360? thats a hella good price! unless the Pro is going to be the new Arcade, and the Arcade edition be discontinued; but im just guessing.

im assuming that they are going to make a new Xbox 360 Edition that is $399; with a bigger hardrive and goodies

No. Basically the Elite gets a price drop, the Pro is distontinued and the Elite is the "new" Pro.

If they do that, I hope they will start offering the Elite in white too. I mean, the 360 looks very good in black, but I'm not sure about it becoming the "standard" console.

robm_2007
13-08-09, 17:08
so does the elite beome the pro, and pro becomes the arcade? and the arcade is discontinued; and a bigger harddrive 360, becomes the new elite?

irjudd
13-08-09, 17:47
Meh it's still like paying 2009 prices for 2006 hardware.

Samsdad
13-08-09, 17:58

Just out of curiosity what kind of gaming PC could you build for $300 and would it be capable of playing any of the current PC games? Last time I looked most of the decent video cards were in the $100 and up range (and the real good ones were $300 alone) and then you add a case, motherboard, CPU, fan, CD drive, keyboard, mouse, power supply, etc.
I am just curious.

irjudd
13-08-09, 18:16
Just out of curiosity what kind of gaming PC could you build for $300 and would it be capable of playing any of the current PC games? Last time I looked most of the decent video cards were in the $100 and up range (and the real good ones were $300 alone) and then you add a case, motherboard, CPU, fan, CD drive, keyboard, mouse, power supply, etc.
I am just curious.
If you chose your components wisely, it wouldn't be very hard to build a Phenom 2 (socket AM2+), Radeon 4670, 2GB RAM computer for $300. It may go over that budget if you don't have or can't find a nice price on the OS.

Samsdad
13-08-09, 21:07
If you chose your components wisely, it wouldn't be very hard to build a Phenom 2 (socket AM2+), Radeon 4670, 2GB RAM computer for $300. It may go over that budget if you don't have or can't find a nice price on the OS.

What do you other computer geeks think? Would such a rig beable to play current HD games?

Johnnay
13-08-09, 21:16
so does the elite beome the pro, and pro becomes the arcade? and the arcade is discontinued; and a bigger harddrive 360, becomes the new elite?

no pro is discontinued it doesnt replace arcade.

innocentvenus
13-08-09, 21:59

Plus, you can get your hardware from Newegg and other places. At least when you build a gaming computer, you can use if for other things...like any other computer.

This tempts me to buy a 360, but only when my PS3 finally dies on me.

Love2Raid
13-08-09, 22:02
Sooo, does this mean new console coming or what? :o

Dennis's Mom
13-08-09, 22:18
This is why my son can't access his savings account with his debit card. :D

ajrich17901
13-08-09, 23:17
Meh Ill get a 360 once its in the $100 range lol

robm_2007
14-08-09, 16:11
no pro is discontinued it doesnt replace arcade.

so the elite becomes the cheapest 360, and the new 360 edition becomes the best? since im sure that they will make a larger HDD 360

Nausinous
14-08-09, 16:34

You echoed my thoughts exactly. Consoles are one of the biggest wastes of money in my opinion, your essentially stuck with a piece of hardware that isn't capable of being upgraded and is already out of date in comparison to PC graphics hardware. If you want your console exclusive games then have a console but if you want a piece of hardware capable of keeping up in terms of technology and software capabilities then you need a PC. You can achieve so much more with PC hardware that I arrive at the conclusion: consoles are just another market scam much like bottled water.

Samsdad
14-08-09, 17:02
You echoed my thoughts exactly. Consoles are one of the biggest wastes of money in my opinion, your essentially stuck with a piece of hardware that isn't capable of being upgraded and is already out of date in comparison to PC graphics hardware. If you want your console exclusive games then have a console but if you want a piece of hardware capable of keeping up in terms of technology and software capabilities then you need a PC. You can achieve so much more with PC hardware that I arrive at the conclusion: consoles are just another market scam much like bottled water.

Staying at the leading edge of the technology curve is a very expensive proposition and one that many either can not afford or do not see as a necessity. Consoles are an excellent alternative and offer a more stable target for developers.

tranniversary119
14-08-09, 17:12
I wonder how much the PS3 will drop.

robm_2007
14-08-09, 17:13
and its not like the current consoles are stuck in the past (excluding Wii, and handhelds). i mean, games come out every year with better graphics; and the consoles have yet to even be used to their full potential.

Nausinous
14-08-09, 17:18
Staying at the leading edge of the technology curve is a very expensive proposition and one that many either can not afford or do not see as a necessity. Consoles are an excellent alternative and offer a more stable target for developers.

Well for those can afford it then (Which is very few in the current economic climate) PC gaming is the sane option.

interstellardave
14-08-09, 17:23
Seriously... why do so many PC gamers feel they are somehow smarter than the millions upon millions of console owners who use and enjoy those systems year after year? :rolleyes:

Console gaming is not a "scam", nor is PC gaming the only "sane" option. Please, give me a break.

robm_2007
14-08-09, 17:27
^ OMG, i was totally think that. i just didnt say anything because i didnt have the interest to get into a debate.

the way he talked about PC gamers being better than consolers, made it sound like a political argument or someting.

interstellardave
14-08-09, 17:32
^^^ Yes... it's one thing to think PC gaming is a better experience. It's another to get on a high-horse about it constantly. No console-related topic can exist without PC gamers coming in and saying the same old things (not just on this forum either). That input might be valid if the topic was "I'm going to buy either a gaming pc or a console", but that topic has never existed!

EgyptianSoul
14-08-09, 17:37
Microsoft is completely removing the Pro model of 360 so the most logical step is to make the Elite model cheaper. To replace Pro.

Nausinous
14-08-09, 18:47
I'm not on a high horse and I'm not arrogant, I'm sorry if you perceived my post to be so. What I was trying to say that to invest in hardware that in a year after its manufacturing birth date is technologically out of date and can not be upgraded to cope with greater software demand seems like an illogical investment, surely you save and invest in the product that is going to last longer and that your going to be able to get the most use of, surely its just pure logic? Investing in a console just seems to be a stupid thing to do, in my opinion but I'm not saying what I think is fact, true or null and void so you don't have to be filled with utter hatred by my post, you can just ignore it.

interstellardave
14-08-09, 18:59
To quote '^OMG, i was totally think that'. Are you foreign? If your not and you have a state funded education then I worry even more for civilization. I'm not on a high horse and I'm not arrogant, I'm sorry if you perceived my post to be so. What I was trying to say that to invest in hardware that in a year after its manufacturing birth date is technologically out of date and can not be upgraded to cope with greater software demand seems like an illogical investment, surely you save and invest in the product that is going to last longer and that your going to be able to get the most use of, surely its just pure logic?

Why is it logical when you are usually paying more up front for the PC... unless, as some say, you really know what you're doing when putting it together (and that's another thing that most people just aren't going to know). Also, console owners get better and better games throughout the lifespan of the console... it's always been that way, so the "apparent" power of the unit is always increasing... in terms of what you get, game-wise.

Plus you don't have the hassle of upgrading all the time, nor do you deal with DRM, system requirement inconsistencies, etc. Owing a console is a mind-set, just as owning a PC for gaming is. Some don't want to bother with upgrading each year... and are happy with getting fantastic games for several years after purchase. It's not like the games--while possibly being "outdated" in comparison to the newest PC games on the highest settings--are crap. No, the games are fantastic... and will be right up until the end of the systems' life.

NOTE: We feel differently on this issue, obviously, but my generic statement about PC owners is just that... generic; not intended to be aimed directly at you, per se. As a big proponent of consoles, however, I get mad when PC gamers jump into topics about consoles and basically tell everyone that PC gaming is superior... it's like me jumping into a topic about PC gaming and making judgements... I don't bother, 'cause PC gaming doesn't interest me much (although I dabble a bit with RTS's on the PC).

irjudd
14-08-09, 19:03
Consoles are like a manufactured computers really. Overpriced for what you get but very convenient.

Samsdad
14-08-09, 19:26
Consoles do have the advantage of offering a consistent target for developers to build games. They know exactly what the specifications and potentials are. They can hone their skills and produce better and better products over the life history of the console.

PCs lack standardization and are a constantly moving, evolving target. This makes them wonderful multitasking machines, but it is extemely difficult to build games, particualrly now that game development cycles have increased in complexity and length. Building a game over a two to three year period and keeping up with the technological changes in PCs over the same time period is an extremely daunting endeavor.

irjudd
15-08-09, 02:45
I do recall Valve pointing out how difficult the PS3 is compared to PC. Seems like 360 is quite similar to PC to develop for.

Lara's home
15-08-09, 02:49
I do recall Valve pointing out how difficult the PS3 is compared to PC. Seems like 360 is quite similar to PC to develop for.

In a recent interview, they said that they still wont really bother with the PS3 actually. Gabe Newell said that they feel sorry for the fans who play valve games on the PS3, but they are not even trying to figure it out.
http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/67?ep=67 if interested.
A bit off-topic maybe. :p