PDA

View Full Version : Opera

LaraLuvrrr
14-08-09, 00:48
Is anyone here into Opera music or has come across any that they like?

I've never cared for Opera music other than the radio Opera in the Grand Theft Auto games loll but lately I got a bit into it thanks to this wonderful song from The Ninth Gate..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cnw-wnVd_bo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cnw-wnVd_bo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sometimes Opera music reminds me of the TR games too lol :D

ChingKong
14-08-09, 00:49
ive started listening to some opera and right now my fave is carmen by maria callas
shes sings beautiful :D

and another song i forgot its name but the play revolves around a doll :p

Mokono
14-08-09, 00:51
I like Yma Sumac:

w2r3pg5appM

Not exactly opera, but with an epic vocal record.

Catracoth
14-08-09, 00:59
Diva Dance by Diva Plavalaguna from The Fifth Element. Absolutely beautiful.

r4PMHt7vSE8

edit: Check out the killer fight scene at the end of the video I posted :D! Yes, the orange haired girl Leeloo is Milla Jovovich who played Alice in Resident Evil.

VictorXD
14-08-09, 01:02

r4PMHt7vSE8

I love that one^^ and TGC's Night Out at the Opera music is very cool. He always pick awesome operas^^

larafan25
14-08-09, 03:08
lol I thought this thread was about Opra:p

Catracoth
14-08-09, 03:20

:vlol:

Nahh that's Oprah Winfrey.

larafan25
14-08-09, 03:22
^oh damn I spelt her name wrong:p

well I like some opera music, whe it is very little and you can hear more classical music:)

LaraLuvrrr
14-08-09, 03:26
ive started listening to some opera and right now my fave is carmen by maria callas
shes sings beautiful :D

and another song i forgot its name but the play revolves around a doll :p

Yea Maria Callas is very famous :)

voltz
14-08-09, 03:44
r4PMHt7vSE8

The first part was a masterpiece up till she turned to that pop @%#$! and ruined it. Anyone know where I can listen to the full version of the original?

EDIT: ok here's the original play of Gaetano Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor "Il dolce suono" AyEtkMWmFL4

Catracoth
14-08-09, 03:56
The first part was a masterpiece up till she turned to that pop @%#$! and ruined it. Anyone know where I can listen to the full version of the original?

Hey, the techno part was awesome, :p! It went along perfectly with the fight scene, but yes I somewhat agree--it was out of place.

rowanlim
14-08-09, 03:58
1 operatic song that I remember & like breaking out into song to is O Sole Mio by the 3 Tenors :D

voltz
14-08-09, 03:58
Hey, the techno part was awesome

My preference is "Trance" actually.... :ton:

Drone
14-08-09, 04:11
I thought this thread was about a browser.

Nah can't stand opera it's booooooooring! *yawns*

Dennis's Mom
14-08-09, 15:43
I adore Kathleen Battle. I heard her sing "Ave Maria" on the Grammys 20 years ago and thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard. I had it sung at my wedding because of it, and I'm not even Catholic!

E0o9ku8yw4U

This song always gives me shivers. (Spoilers for House of Flying Daggers if you have not seen the movie.)

WRWo8848cSU

Her voice is so pure, with none of the shrillness many sopranos have. She's a coloratura though.

Tombraiderx08
14-08-09, 16:27
r4PMHt7vSE8
the diva! eh, ive never really seen any operas but, the music style is nifty :) o fortuna and one winged angel ftw!

Storm-X13
14-08-09, 17:52

r4PMHt7vSE8

edit: Check out the killer fight scene at the end of the video I posted :D! Yes, the orange haired girl Leeloo is Milla Jovovich who played Alice in Resident Evil.

=^_____^=
Adore it! :jmp:
And at all, it's my favorite film! :hug:

LaraCroftRox
14-08-09, 18:29
:cln:
a3Wo8LCDUKI

Azerutan
14-08-09, 18:30
Oh... :vlol:

Azerutan
14-08-09, 18:31
:cln:
a3Wo8LCDUKI

This is opera? :vlol:
I just knew people would post this crap honestly...

Azerutan
14-08-09, 18:34
9AdN7qwjpUw

One of my favourites pieces :) I ADORE Mozart, Anna is okay (even though, she's kind of annoying...)

I will try to post more real opera later :)

(people are confusing "popera" or techno songs sang by operatic-trained singers with OPERA in the true sense of the word, c'mon...)

The Great Chi
14-08-09, 18:44
If you like Lara Croft and Opera as I do, then I think you will enjoy my Youtube videos :D

Night out at the Opera 1

wa7O5szQrwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QnwNLrVD8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w31isSAJDmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8apubOnnTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCFfYwNTR0s

LaraCroftRox
14-08-09, 18:54

Operatic-metal. :rolleyes:

Azerutan
14-08-09, 18:57
Operatic-metal. :rolleyes:
Dear, before you even knew what "metal" was, I was already listenning to Nightwish and miss Tarja Turunen. That song in particular doesn't sound like opera nor it is anywhere near to be classified as such.

Btw, there's no such thing as Operatic Metal. Among the all Heavy Metal bands I know, only 1 truly represents (to a certain extent) the atmosphere of opera music and mix it with Heavy Metal influences and that band is certainly NOT Nightwish. Symphonic elements are common in Heavy Metal scene, but very few have operatic-trained singers. Tarja Turunen surprisingly seem to have been operatically trained in her youth, but she doesn't sound like one at all in Nightwish albuns :)

So, instead of affirming things you have no idea and other people tell you so, try to search and understand what you're talking about :)

stranger1992
14-08-09, 19:03
The only 'opera' song i like is:

MsB4a--WRTs

Azerutan
14-08-09, 19:05
8OZCyp-LcGw

The overture of probably my favourite Mozart's opera: Le Nozze di Figaro :D

You all must know this overture :)

Punaxe
14-08-09, 19:30
Since we're taking the notion of 'Opera' slightly broad anyway, I suppose I could post this song of Helium Vola:

cR7GfUdupnI

I don't really know real opera but I like what I'm hearing in this thread, so keep posting :tmb:

Azerutan
14-08-09, 19:47
Because I am never tired, to you all: :D

KzacoNLZSXM
Beethoven, simply a music genius :)
"Fidelino" is not one of my favourites, but worth mentionning :)

-uyOwxMysxw
:vlol: A classic from Rossini with a good and charismatic Chinese baritone :)

IyAbtjSKhJc
Not "opera", more classical-oriented, a very dark piece from Mozart :)

Punaxe
14-08-09, 20:21
^ Oh, well, if you post that last one, then I'm going to post:

EZ9lhoo8fZo

(I happen to like the particular performance used for that video, I do realize it's known under other names than the EU anthem. :p)

Azerutan
14-08-09, 20:37
:D I remember to play that song on a festival.
It makes me proud to be EUROPEAN :D

Choir-based classical songs are not opera, but always worth mentionning in classical music writers, they don't always write opera, Beethoven had amazing piano pieces and only wrote 1 opera in his lifetime.

Lemmie
14-08-09, 21:05
I saw Manon by Scottish Opera this year. I enjoyed it hugely! :)

Catapharact
14-08-09, 21:20
I had the privilege of attending a live performance by the OCA players and their rendition of "A Midsummers Nights Dream." It was quite a performance! The Opera itself was amazingly written and well translated from Shakespere's original though the interpertation IMO could have been a bit better; Though Puck was present just how I imagined him to be; Athletic yet so impish.

Unfortunately you could not take photographs of the actors or the stage but I did manage to get this shot of me with the program guide :p Lol!

What an experience...

http://i27.************/20fqfth.jpg

Atlantean-Squid
14-08-09, 21:23
Among the all Heavy Metal bands I know, only 1 truly represents (to a certain extent) the atmosphere of opera music and mix it with Heavy Metal influences

Which, may I ask?

Catapharact
14-08-09, 21:24
Which, may I ask?

I am gonna take and a wild guess and say Apocalyptica.

Azerutan
14-08-09, 22:37
I am gonna take and a wild guess and say Apocalyptica.

LOL! Apocalyptica plays "metal" or even "opera"? :vlol: I had no ideia of that! They're pretty much Cello Rock, there's no opera there honestly.

Seriously, I will keep the knowledge for myself :mis:

Catapharact
14-08-09, 22:39
LOL! Apocalyptica plays "metal" or even "opera"? :vlol: I had no ideia of that. They're pretty much Cello Rock, honestly.

Seriously, I will keep the knowledge for myself :mis:

Trust me, more people associate Apoclyptica with classical/Heavy metal music then any other group :p.

And share the band's name already!

Azerutan
14-08-09, 22:43
I never got it honestly. I'm not saying Apocalyptica is a awful band - I find them pretty boring because it is not really my taste of music - but really their music is based on cellos with just an ocasionally use of guitars. Heavy Metal ain't Heavy Metal without riffs :p

I can show you the band privately if you want to :)

Catapharact
14-08-09, 22:46
Keep in mind that the average music junkie might not know the difference between hard metal and generic metal :p (namely me Lol!)

And send away :).

Atlantean-Squid
14-08-09, 22:46
Why privately?

Azerutan
14-08-09, 22:50
Keep in mind that the average music junkie might not know the difference between hard metal and generic metal :p (namely me Lol!)
Just another note: classical music is not necessarily opera. That's a huge misconception people always make when they're talking about this. :)

Megalith
14-08-09, 22:53
I love Puccini's Turandot!I saw it in the Royal Opera house in London last year.It was amazing!:)
I would also love to see a Wagner opera one day.:)

voltz
15-08-09, 11:24

Actually Tarja is the type of person who's voice/singing style are reminiscent of opera. She shows more then a great deal of influence on her winter storm album.

y1p8Lubb3F4

wIG53Q15YmU

Catapharact
16-08-09, 22:51
Now for something a bit different then Heavy Metal. Has anyone heard of Yuki Kajiura? She maybe a bit on the cutesy side but her voice... Oh that voice...

Remember, this is Opera-esque; So don't associate it with actual Opera pieces. There just isn't anything to compare there IMO.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJWgSotaqWc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJWgSotaqWc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>