PDA

View Full Version : Captain Wantafanta

wantafanta
15-08-09, 01:09
Yesterday, I took my first - and last - flying lesson. It gave me the jitters for the past two weeks just thinking about it, but I wanted to get it done, because I would always wonder what it was like if I didn't go through with it. I know a captain with American Airlines named Steve, and he reassured me I would do just fine. So I just pictured him saying that whenever I was getting antsy and that made me relax a bit. After just 4 hours sleep, I went to Palwaukee Airport - a small airport just north of Chicago O'hare Airport. The instructors were all very young - about 21 years old - skinny kids just out of college. George was going to be my instructor. He was about 60 years old with a gravelly voice, and I felt confident with him. but at the last minute, they switched me to Kyle - a young kid with short blonde hair. He took me out to a tiny Cessna which was all chained up and we went through all the preflight checks. Then I got in. It was really cramped inside. He unchained it and showed me how to start the motor and I taxied it to runway 16. It kept swerving to the left - something about propller slipstream and engine torque forces, so I had to keep using right rudder to point straight. I tuned the radios, but Kyle talked to ground control and the tower. He was brilliant with that stuff - it's almost like a foreign language. Then I took off down the runway and pulled the yoke back at 60 mph and the plane lifted off. He had me turn and head east over Lake Michigan. I climed to 3,000 feet and leveled off. Then we hit some bumpy air and the craft dropped a few feet and I got instant air sickness. It came on very suddenly. I thought I was going to puke. Kyle had me turn around and head due west. I did OK with a 20 degree bank turn. Then I turned control back to Kyle and let him bring us in for a landing. It was soooooo good to be on the ground once more. It took me an hour to drive home through heavy traffic with countless cruel traffic lights that took forever. It was the longest drive of my life, because I still felt sick and groggy. I finally got home and crashed into my bed and stayed there for 2 hours. Then I felt just fine.

I will say this, after using the simulators you can buy at any software store, they sure are accurate. The plane handled just the way the MS flight sims do. I knew what all the insturments did. I was concentrating so hard on keeping everything right, that I didn't do much sight seeing out the window. Kyle wanted me to enjoy the views, but I was riveted to the airspeed, the altimeter, the vertical speed indicator and the heading. Everything looked just like it does in the sims. - The air strip had all the same lights and markings and the taxi ways were the same. The sim practice made it so much eaiser. I controlled the aircraft without much trouble.

If you wonder what it felt like, imagine a towering crane above you with a big metal bucket at the end of a long cable. You climb in the bucket and the crane lifts you up and swings you around in a circle. That's kind of the sensation you get during a turn. It's a little bouncy and soft feeling.

But I was sick as a dog - just not meant to be a pilot I guess. I must've been greener than a piece of lettuce. But I did it. I broke the surly shackles of gravity and did what the most powerful kings of Egypt never could do. I flew.

Shauni
15-08-09, 01:16
:tmb: What are you going to do now? After learning how to fly a plane are you not going to fly anymore?

Squibbly
15-08-09, 01:22
I'm very happy for you! :) You're also quite brave - I'd never be able to do this!

Good for you. Will you do it again, or was once enough?

wantafanta
15-08-09, 01:25
No, I won't do it again. I coudn't stand to get sick like that another time. I get sick even when I'm in the back seat of a car. It's expensive, too. $110 per lesson. I was never planning on getting the license. Just one time so I could know what it was like and have something to talk about.

tombraiderluka
15-08-09, 01:28
Wee congratulations :tmb: You can be my personal driver? :pi:

Squibbly
15-08-09, 01:29
No, I won't do it again. I coudn't stand to get sick like that another time. I get sick even when I'm in the back seat of a car. It's expensive, too. $110 per lesson. I was never planning on getting the license. Just one time so I could know what it was like and have something to talk about.

Ah, I see. Well, it's one of those things you'll be able to say you've done. Not many people can say that. :)

knightgames
15-08-09, 02:18
I took a flying lesson once. I kept seeing some green girl outside my cockpit window calling my name in this "sweet sing songy" voice. Drrrrr Kmiiiiiiiightgaaaaaames.

Actually what surprised me is how bumpy the Cessna was below 1000 feet. Apparently the ground was heating up causing temperature inversions - thus the turbulence I felt. As 'scary' as the landing is because you're meeting the ground in what seems like an uncontrolled glide, the take off had me sweating. The bumping and jostling around.... the whine of the engine... and wondering if 60MPH fast was enough to provide necessary lift.

AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE!!!!! LOL

Congrats Captain Fanta.

irjudd
15-08-09, 02:38
Sounds like an amazing experience.

miss.haggard
15-08-09, 03:05
I = jealous :)

wantafanta
15-08-09, 03:12
Thanks for the well wishes and compliments, everyone. I appreciate it. I guess I just wanted to do something really out of the ordinary in my life.

Wee congratulations :tmb: You can be my personal driver? :pi:

My driving is worse than my flying! I find it nerve rattling. I always get behind some huge
moving van or bus that goes too slow and I can't pass. Or a driver in the opposite lane drives with the wheels right on the center line! WHEWWWWWW! That scares the bejeepers out of me.

I took a flying lesson once. I kept seeing some green girl outside my cockpit window calling my name in this "sweet sing songy" voice. Drrrrr Kmiiiiiiiightgaaaaaames.

... and wondering if 60MPH fast was enough to provide necessary lift.

LOL! I didn't think anybody here would remember Athena - Dr. Smith's apparition from Lost in Space.
I loved her. She was so beautiful - from the Green Mist world. I saw the rerun a couple years back and knew
I had found my avatar. The way she floated outside the window of the Jupiter II and those baby noises she
made. So weird. I know most everybody here would love Lost in Space. Take my word for it - rent a DVD or
buy the series.

I was worried about that exact thing, wondering if I would pull back too hard on take off and the plane
would nose up and stall, or if the speed would fall off during the climb. But Kyle was there and wouldn't
let that happen - to HIM!

xMiSsCrOfTx
15-08-09, 03:19
Wow, that's awesome! I know exactly where that airport is, too. :D I've always wanted to take flying lessons, hopefully I'll get the opportunity someday. Must have been one heck of an experience.

knightgames
15-08-09, 03:22
If memory serves me She was on a few times - once in the black and white episodes. I think she wore silver in those episodes. Though it could be the actress appeared several times as different characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2A-qds_zg&feature=PlayList&p=EBF5B9563FD9B6CD&index=17

Chocola teapot
15-08-09, 04:01
That is brilliant!! :tmb: