PDA

View Full Version : Best European City

LaraLuvrrr
15-08-09, 21:05
What's the best European city in your opinion and why? :)

I don't have a clue since I've only visited the UK and Spain but I would say maybe Paris? I wanna visit though to see if im right lol :p

NemesisX13X
15-08-09, 21:07
WHITTBY, ENGLAND!

because everyone is obsessed with vampires there, and its supposed to be the 2nd place that Dracula landed after Transilvanya :D

Mad Tony
15-08-09, 21:08
WHITTBY, ENGLAND!

because everyone is obsessed with vampires there, and its supposed to be the 2nd place that Dracula landed after Transilvanya :DEngland is not in Europe! :p

My favorite European city? Probably Berlin.

digitizedboy
15-08-09, 21:11
WHITTBY, ENGLAND!

because everyone is obsessed with vampires there, and its supposed to be the 2nd place that Dracula landed after Transilvanya :D

It's where Bram Stoker had inspiration to write his story, that's why. :D

hmm best city? I haven't been to that many places, but I'd love to go to Rome. I'd say my favourite city though is York for the time being, until I get my act together and start travelling more.

Johnnay
15-08-09, 21:13
Milan

January_Snow*
15-08-09, 21:17
Belgrade :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:
Its the city of nightlife :D

NemesisX13X
15-08-09, 21:18
England is not in Europe! :p

Yes it is! :p

TRhalloween
15-08-09, 21:19

It isn't!?

Rivendell
15-08-09, 21:19
^ It isn't if you're pedantic.

From the ones I've been to, I'd say it's out of:

Athens
Edinburgh
Rome

:tmb:

LOVE those places.

Mad Tony
15-08-09, 21:20
To be fair I haven't been to that many European cities - only Berlin and Paris. I've been to more Australian cities than I have European.

NemesisX13X
15-08-09, 21:21
It isn't!?

It's in Europe! :p

Kiwi..
15-08-09, 21:24
I would say Prague. :)
It's a beautifull city, and the czech people are very friendly.

IceColdLaraCroft
15-08-09, 21:26
Milan

I would say Prague. :)
It's a beautifull city, and the czech people are very friendly.

Monaco! :D

Milano, Paris, Prague are beautiful.

Oslo is great because the people are SO nice.

VonCroy360
15-08-09, 21:28
Venice is definitely the prettiest. :tmb:
As for the best city, I haven't been in many, but out of those I have been to, I'd say Rome. The ones I think will top my list when I visit them one day would be Paris, Stockholm and Moscow.

adventurerLara
15-08-09, 21:30
Impossible to say in my experience. Plus, they all appeal in different ways.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-08-09, 21:32
area-wise cornwall - its simly beautiful and inspirational - wheel-clamping it ****though.

TRhalloween
15-08-09, 21:35
It's in Europe! :p

T_T

Note the question mark.
It isn't!?

VictorXD
15-08-09, 21:35
Well I never been to Europe, but I'll say Kent(England) because my boyfeind is from there:)

IceColdLaraCroft
15-08-09, 21:36
:hea:

I forgot Venice!

Your_Envy*
15-08-09, 21:38
Kristinehamn, Stockholm, Venice, Brussels, Nürnberg, Ljubljana... :cln:

Teslo
15-08-09, 21:43
Metz is a really beautiful city, there are a lot of gardens and "water". The city is built using yellow stones (Pierre de jaumont) and sometimes red ones, it's really amazing ! Ther's a lot of architectural styles and landscapes near Metz are beautiful too ! (It's a french city, in Lorraine)
I think that Metz's cathedral is one of the most beautiful french cathedrals !

But, My opinion isn't impartial, I lived some years in this city XD

But if we forget big cities, many of the small French villages are extremly beautiful. Especially those of Bretagne !

DeanWinchester
15-08-09, 21:45
I think Venice.. :D

NemesisX13X
15-08-09, 21:46
T_T

Note the question mark.

Oh. :p

V-nice :D

peeves
15-08-09, 21:47
My best cities in Europe are:
Athens
Rome
Paris
London
Dublin

larson n natla
15-08-09, 22:07

My favorite European city? Probably Berlin.

hahaha :p European capital of culture was Liverpool in England were I live and it favorite city in the world :D

Minimus
15-08-09, 22:11
england is not in europe! :p

fail.

BlackRainbow
15-08-09, 22:12
KristinehamnI knew you would say that. :vlol::hug:

I really like Edinburgh, London and Stockholm, even though I'm not a fan of big cities. But they are so beautiful. :D

Larapink
15-08-09, 22:12
London! :o

fail.
Typical..:rolleyes:
I'm not with you on that one, by the way.

jarhead
15-08-09, 22:13
Prague looks stunning, so does Copenhagen and Scandinavia. Theres too many places :o

Lemmie
15-08-09, 22:20
Edinburgh
Rome

:tmb:

LOVE those places.

^ This.

Also Paris, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Venice, Florence, Dublin, London, Glasgow, Prague. All excellent choices, from personal experience. :D

Mad Tony
15-08-09, 22:23
fail.success.

hahaha :p European capital of culture was Liverpool in England were I live and it favorite city in the world :DLiverpool? :p What about London? London's better. :D

I've always wanted to go to Vienna, Munich, St Petersburg and Moscow.

Love2Raid
15-08-09, 22:27
Amsterdam of course! :)

larson n natla
15-08-09, 22:34
success.

Liverpool? :p What about London? London's better. :D

I've always wanted to go to Vienna, Munich, St Petersburg and Moscow.

I visited there I don't think so there's so much intricate detail and banter in Liverpool everything is different and interesting wheras London seems over commercialized somewhat but that's just my opinion many would dissagree. I believe capital of culture is currently in Sweden at the moment though I may be mistaken.

Punaxe
15-08-09, 22:35
England is not in Europe! :p (...)

Depends on your definition of Europe, but the most commonly used definition does include the British Isles.

I haven't visited nearly enough cities to answer the question though, but I suppose it matters a lot what you're actually looking for. Every city has its ups and downs. Personally I mostly avoid cities and go into nature instead. :p I did like Edinburgh and Berlin though. I don't usually like cities because of how crowded they are and stuff, but those two were very nice despite their size.

Reggie
15-08-09, 22:36
Well I never been to Europe, but I'll say Kent(England) because my boyfeind is from there:)
Yay for Cornwall (its where I live). :D
I've been to Birmingham last month and I enjoyed it there and I've been to Berlin which for different and varying reasons, was a nice city. I hope I can explore Europe some more! :)

Lemmie
15-08-09, 22:41
Depends on your definition of Europe, but the most commonly used definition does include the British Isles.

I haven't visited nearly enough cities to answer the question though, but I suppose it matters a lot what you're actually looking for. Every city has its ups and downs. Personally I mostly avoid cities and go into nature instead. :p I did like Glasgow and Berlin though. I don't usually like cities because of how crowded they are and stuff, but those two were very nice despite their size.

*Applauds*

That tends to be an unusual outcome. Well, not unusual, just unexpressed.

Punaxe
15-08-09, 22:45
*Applauds*

Wait, I meant to say Edinburgh :hea: I've never been to Glasgow!

xXhayleyroxXx
15-08-09, 22:47
*Applauds*

glasgow is nice :)

Joely-Moley
15-08-09, 22:57
glasgow is nice :)

You think so? :yik:

I've not been to many cities in Europe. I quite liked Berlin.

Mad Tony
15-08-09, 22:58
Berlin's underground system is so efficient.

Lara's Nemesis
15-08-09, 23:04

:D I've had a lot of good nights out in Glasgow but would never describe it as nice.

Would probably get a Glasgow kiss from one of the natives if I did.;)

I have always enjoyed visiting London as well, amazing city but I couldn't handle living there.

I would vote for Prague and Barcelona.

Cochrane
15-08-09, 23:06
Never quite understood why people think England isn't in Europe. It was always influenced by and influenced all the other parts of the continent in terms of language, religion, culture, economics, politics and so on. Geologically, it's on the same tectonic plate as well. What else is England, or the british isles in general, supposed to be?

At the moment, I'd say Berlin. I absolutely want to spend some more time in London, though, it could certainly replace it. Rome is great as well, but ultimately too hot and disorderly for me. I know, I suck. :D

My list of cities yet to visit or to visit more is long, though...

TRhalloween
15-08-09, 23:10
Oh. :p

V-nice :D

ikr
http://images.uncyc.org/commons/c/cf/Trollface.jpg
:D

Hey! You weren't born in Glaisga', you can't make fun of it :p :D

Eddie Haskell
15-08-09, 23:14
There are sooo many beautiful European cities. Most are not the giant towns, but more the mid-level ones in population. I could make a list a page long with these lesser known places, however, my all time favorite European city is Vienna. Absolutely fantastic place with everything you could ever ask for, although my wife prefers Salzburg. ;)

Joely-Moley
15-08-09, 23:14
:D I've had a lot of good nights out in Glasgow but would never describe it as nice.

Would probably get a Glasgow kiss from one of the natives if I did.;)

It's not a bad place, I just have never heard anyone call it a nice place before. :p

Hey! You weren't born in Glaisga', you can't make fun of it :p :D

I live here though! :ton:
Heck it's a lot 'nicer' than the place I grew up. :p

EmeraldFields
15-08-09, 23:36
So many amazing places and I'm stuck in the Midwest.:(

Chocola teapot
15-08-09, 23:47
Athens
Venice
Hmm Does Istanbul count?

NemesisX13X
15-08-09, 23:49
Athens
Venice
Hmm Does Istanbul count?

Istanbul is in Turkey, Turkey isnt in Europe :p

Punaxe
15-08-09, 23:53
Istanbul is in Turkey, Turkey isnt in Europe :p

Actually, part of Istanbul is considered to be in Europe. :p

Lara's Nemesis
15-08-09, 23:55

Yeah, Istanbul is a hard call on that one.

NemesisX13X
16-08-09, 00:00

So half of it is not in Europe, and half of it is? :p

Punaxe
16-08-09, 00:08

Something like that, yeah. Not sure about the exact percentages. :p

Cochrane
16-08-09, 00:09

I'm not sure about the precise percentages, but essentially, yes. The half on the western side of the Bosporus is european, the half on the eastern side is asian.

Encore
16-08-09, 00:09
Turkey is a part of Europe, just not of the European Union which is only a political formation, not a geographic one.

Anyways, from the big cities I've seen (besides my own city, Lisbon!) I have two favourites:
First, Edinburgh which is just lovely, not too big, the people are friendly and the atmosphere is just amazing. For example, the light in there, for some reason it just makes everything look so beautiful. If I had to pick a city to live in, that would be my choice.
Second, I was stunned with Rome mainly because of its history and the marks it left everywhere. It's literally an epic city. It's not somewhere I would want to live in but it's somewhere I want to visit lots more times.

NemesisX13X
16-08-09, 00:11
Something like that, yeah. Not sure about the exact percentages. :p

I'm not sure about the precise percentages, but essentially, yes. The half on the western side of the Bosporus is european, the half on the eastern side is asian.

Turkey is a part of Europe, just not of the European Union which is only a political formation, not a geographic one.

I see :p

TombRaiderFan.
16-08-09, 00:49
I think Buenos Aires should belong in Erope :p
http://www.panamericanismo.org/images/esquina%20buenos%20aires.JPG
http://www.bapass.com/fotos/servicios/legislat.jpg
http://www.akworld.net/webblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/facades.jpg
http://photos.longjaunt.com/2008/02/03/expatriateswatchthepatriots/002.jpg

But back on topic. I love Venice!!

http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/16/1678/XA31D00Z/stuart-black-venice--italy.jpg
I wish I could visit it soon *daydreams* :D

Oh by the way Encore, I believe Turkey is part of the Middle East. If you look at a map it doesn't show as part of Europe. But I don't really know to be honest.

TR love
16-08-09, 01:12
Just let me go on a European tour and i'll get back to you

WCookie
16-08-09, 01:14
I never actually got out of my country (portugal) except for going to spain so I can't really tell the best, but if I had a choice I would simply choose Prague, Kiev or Sweden, I don't really know but I love the pictures and think that they could be some good places to visit, but from all of them, Prague is my favourite, don't ask me why >_>

*Cries because never got out of his country* :pi:

Lara Croft should totally have a level on Portugal :pi:

Lemmie
16-08-09, 11:43
Wait, I meant to say Edinburgh :hea: I've never been to Glasgow!

Oh bad move.

I'm not surprised though. :p

Punaxe
16-08-09, 12:42
Oh bad move.

I'm not surprised though. :p

Feel free to convince me to come to Glasgow though :D

jackles
16-08-09, 12:46
There (http://www.infoplease.com/atlas/europe.html) a nice map of Europe so you can decide which cities belong!

Ikas90
16-08-09, 13:42
Athens and Thessaloniki in Greece are two wonderful cities. :) Riga and Vilnius are also aesthetically pleasing. Haven't been to every city in Europe, but I would absolutely love to. Particularly those in Central and Eastern Europe, e.g. Warsaw, Prague, Ljubljana, Vienna, Venice and Bern.

TombRaiderCool
16-08-09, 14:24
There are so many beautiful European cities! Basically every city in Europe I have been to, I loved and I really can't pick a favourite! Prague definitely stands out though, its architecture is amazing! :)

Legend 4ever
16-08-09, 14:36
Istanbul IMO

Legends
16-08-09, 14:51
My favorites: Paris, London, Venice, Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Stockholm & Oslo.

I haven't been to all of them, but these are the cities I first would visit.

Chocola teapot
16-08-09, 14:56
Agree, with all of the above, but I'd Add istanbul for good measure.

Punaxe
16-08-09, 15:01
Important to note may be that sometimes villages are much more interesting than cities, as they tend to keep the country's original culture much more than cities do. But I definitely wouldn't know which European village is the best... :p

TRGamer8
16-08-09, 15:21
Many of them, can't decide :p

Biddy
16-08-09, 15:52
The city that remains to always be my favourite is most certainly Florence, it's the art, language, cuisine and architecture that make it so rich in culture. I miss living there and playing near the Piazza Santa Maria Novella church! :o

Lara Croft!
16-08-09, 15:56
Athens

Athens

Athens

Athens

I'm glad to see my hometown so many times.

My list

Athens
Prague
Barcelona

But I have yet to visit many places that I bet would go in my list like Paris or London.

Megalith
16-08-09, 16:58
Athens has some of the most beautiful areas that i've seen in any city but unfortunately also some of the ugliest...I still love it though,i spent some of the best years of my life there.:o

Objectively speaking,Edinburgh is by far the most beautiful city i've ever been.
This could easily change though once i visit some cities in Italy like Rome,Florence,Venice and others.

MiCkiZ88
16-08-09, 17:07
I don't know if it's considered a city or not but I quite love Tampere in Finland. It's one of the best towns/cities I've been to. Friendly, rich in nature and culture and it's between two big lakes. It's simply gorgeous.

I do like the Hague as well (where I live at the moment) but apart from the cities where I've lived I quite liked London as well.

jackles
16-08-09, 17:14
I like the diversity of London. The age of its buildings contrasted with say the bustle of chinatown, the seediness of Soho and the eliteness of Mayfair etc etc.

But I have been in some lovely villages and towns around Europe.

Mad Tony
16-08-09, 18:43
London is indeed awesome. Best city in Britain, and probably one of the best in the world too. :tmb:

Nenya awakens
16-08-09, 19:30
Barcelona was pretty incredible as was paris!

Lemmie
16-08-09, 21:21
I'm glad to see that Edinburgh keeps re-occurring. :tmb:

Feel free to convince me to come to Glasgow though :D

I'll give you the top six reasons that I think are most important.

1. A music scene that is near all-encompassing, from classical to techno to dance to heavy metal. Lots of concert halls, night-clubs and other venues.

2. Although Edinburgh has it's International Festival, Glasgow has a wide array of theatres and cinemas, showing a wide range of performance and film year round.

3. Stunning architecture of all periods. Glasgow Cathedral is a beautiful Medieval Gothic building, while there also many buildings from the Stuart, Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods, demonstrating the rapid growth Glasgow has experienced throughout history.

4. A wealth of museums, galleries and parks - many which equal and some which outclass those in Edinburgh.

5. Sheer diversity. Glasgow represents a true melting pot of cultures and peoples, but is also (unfortunately) an example of extremes of social class and material wealth.

6. Is better placed to explore the rest of Scotland than Edinburgh, making it an ideal base to have if you want to spend a while in the country.

Now I will stop talking like a holiday brochure.

Minty Mouth
16-08-09, 22:01
Berlin Was beautiful. When I went there it was snowing thick white blankets, every day. Now whenever I think of Germany I think of the beautiful snow :p

Punaxe
16-08-09, 22:23
I'm glad to see that Edinburgh keeps re-occurring. :tmb:

I'll give you the top six reasons that I think are most important.

1. A music scene that is near all-encompassing, from classical to techno to dance to heavy metal. Lots of concert halls, night-clubs and other venues.

2. Although Edinburgh has it's International Festival, Glasgow has a wide array of theatres and cinemas, showing a wide range of performance and film year round.

3. Stunning architecture of all periods. Glasgow Cathedral is a beautiful Medieval Gothic building, while there also many buildings from the Stuart, Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods, demonstrating the rapid growth Glasgow has experienced throughout history.

4. A wealth of museums, galleries and parks - many which equal and some which outclass those in Edinburgh.

5. Sheer diversity. Glasgow represents a true melting pot of cultures and peoples, but is also (unfortunately) an example of extremes of social class and material wealth.

6. Is better placed to explore the rest of Scotland than Edinburgh, making it an ideal base to have if you want to spend a while in the country.

Now I will stop talking like a holiday brochure.

I'll keep it in mind because I definitely want to do a Scotland tour or something once. Keep hearing wonderstories about the Orkneys...

Lemmie
16-08-09, 22:54
I'll keep it in mind because I definitely want to do a Scotland tour or something once. Keep hearing wonderstories about the Orkneys...

I met someone recently who went to the Orkneys and wasn't too impressed. I've been twice, but by the second time you visit it's about enough. There's some great wildlife watching to be done though, and the Neolithic tombs and Skara Brae are definitely worth a visit. :)

Trigger_happy
16-08-09, 23:53
Someday in the future, I would love to do a tour of all the historical cities of Europe. History is really my favourite subject, and I would be hysterically happy to go to all these amazing places and just look round.

Nerd For Life
16-08-09, 23:55
London. Forever and ever.. <3

aileenwuornos
17-08-09, 09:36
Amsterdam of course! :)

Hell yeah. Of course, when I went to Amsterdam earlier this year, that's the only time I'd gone to Europe, but still, that place is one hell of a city :D

Goose
17-08-09, 09:37
London. Forever and ever.. <3

Yay, of course its London!

digitizedboy
17-08-09, 09:56
I didn't see Birmingham mentioned. :vlol:

Yeah London is great, I wouldn't want to live there though.

Goose
17-08-09, 10:01
I didn't see Birmingham mentioned. :vlol:

Yeah London is great, I wouldn't want to live there though.

I love it here, i travel all over the UK, but you cant beat London.

I live just north of Wolverhampton at the moment lol.

Lara Croft!
17-08-09, 16:48
Athens has some of the most beautiful areas that i've seen in any city but unfortunately also some of the ugliest...

There is always worse... :D