PDA

View Full Version : The newest Microsoft

Alex Shepherd
15-08-09, 21:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjU51m4Rl-w

It's not a newest microsoft I believe, I think it came from an alien, they just dropped it here in our world by mistake... But if it is not then

Super Badnik
15-08-09, 21:32
That's pretty cool. :D

DeanWinchester
15-08-09, 21:41
Looks like yeah,pretty cool.. xD

Mokono
15-08-09, 21:43
I'd love to have my own new touch table PC.

NemesisX13X
15-08-09, 21:45
WICKED! :cln:

IceColdLaraCroft
15-08-09, 21:50
didnt they have that in Quantum of Solace?

Cristina
15-08-09, 21:52
WOW its pretty cool!:cln:

Sir Croft
15-08-09, 21:59
I remember seeing videos of this (I think it's called called Surface, if memory serves me) some time ago. It's awesome, indeed.

Kelly Craftman
15-08-09, 22:05

Yes they did!

Nausinous
15-08-09, 22:06
Probably used by the secret services and goverments for ages and we are getting their hand-me-downs. I'm not complaining, I love shiny things and this couldn't get any shinier :D.

Punaxe
15-08-09, 22:38
I didn't know that particular demo yet (had seen it in Microsoft's "visions of the future" earlier, but those were just concepts), but Microsoft is doing a lot of research on its Surface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Surface) product. Many companies have been trying to make a table display work, but Microsoft seems to be the one that's really getting somewhere.

Aphrodite22
15-08-09, 22:58
pretty amazing! :jmp:

ECB
15-08-09, 23:03
Pretty wicked, indeed. :)

Cochrane
15-08-09, 23:17
I saw one (or actually several) of these in a science show once, and I have to say, they work great.

There is an interesting addition to this concept with physical user interface ites that you can place as you want (developed at my university :D):

I2rDHUUkd5Y

That video is a little boring, but the technology and the idea behind it is very interesting. Playing, say, Tomb Raider on such a normal table computer is something that won't work very well because there is no haptic feedback. With these "Slap" things, you get that haptic feedback and can, for example, play games with it perfectly.

Punaxe
15-08-09, 23:20
^ I think I saw those at CHI 2009, that was pretty awesome indeed. But they won't work with Surface, will they? At least not in their current form, requiring IR detection from below the screen...

Sir Croft
15-08-09, 23:25
I saw one (or actually several) of these in a science show once, and I have to say, they work great.

There is an interesting addition to this concept with physical user interface ites that you can place as you want (developed at my university :D):

[video]

That video is a little boring, but the technology and the idea behind it is very interesting. Playing, say, Tomb Raider on such a normal table computer is something that won't work very well because there is no haptic feedback. With these "Slap" things, you get that haptic feedback and can, for example, play games with it perfectly.

Playing games would definitely be a problem. Still, it's a great device for artists, it completely kills the tablets market.

Cochrane
15-08-09, 23:48
^ I think I saw those at CHI 2009, that was pretty awesome indeed. But they won't work with Surface, will they? At least not in their current form, requiring IR detection from below the screen...

I guess not (their table seems pretty self-made to me). However, Microsoft wiil probably build newer versions of Surface and I think other companies may be interested in that market as well, so there should be some room for this somewhere.

TombRaiderFan.
16-08-09, 01:08
:confused: Don't they use those fancy screens in News shows, like CNN and such?

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-08-09, 01:15
Wow :eek: I want :D

Alex Shepherd
16-08-09, 16:51
I was just thinking about the price!
HOW MUCH IT COSTS?!
:eek:

Catracoth
16-08-09, 17:41
It reminds me of that table like thing that MI6 used in Quantum of Solace.

mike-d
16-08-09, 19:15

LOL That's what I thought :D In Quantum it seemed more advanced, too :P

The screen itself is simply a larger version of the iPhone and iPod Touch screen, so that's pretty ordinary.
But what's special is the ability to detect a device on its surface and transfer a file so hassle-freely. Doesn't the cell phone have to accept the incoming file? This isn't really hard to answer, because Microsoft probably developed the software on the phone to accept the files coming from the table.

TRGamer8
16-08-09, 19:35
That looks great :D

Kapu
16-08-09, 20:20
That looks pretty sweet. The only problems I see are my back hurting from hunching over that screen for a few hours.