PDA

View Full Version : My Hamsters Are Fighting Each Other!

Shark_Blade
16-08-09, 14:04
Originally I have two dwarf "Roborovski" hamsters. One is quite solitary, likes to hide in it's own special place and the other one is quite tame that'll come to your hand during feeding time. Sadly, the latter one died yesterday.

So I got a new young Robs hamster this morning to accompany the big ol' solitary one. In the afternoon there were squeaking sounds and I figured they were play fighting, trying to get to know each other.

Then in the night there was this prolong squeaks by the young one. As I went to look at the cage, the little guy had climbed up to the top of roof of the cage, nibbling furiously to get free while it's hands grabbing hold of the cage bars and it's legs dangling below, what a dreadful sight it was!:( The poor thing must be traumatized.

And when it feel down the wood flake floor, the other one spotted him and they started fighting again. I cannot flick their ears like I would on a misbehaved cat, so I spray the hamster shampoo on the big ol' solitary for being a bully. I immediately separated them. There were no signs of blood though, but I'm not taking any chances.

I thought Robs hamsters are social creatures. Guess I have to get another new cage now. Am I doing this right?

Anyone got any other advice, I'll gladly appreciate that.

IceColdLaraCroft
16-08-09, 14:08
it would be best to separate them if one of them is being too aggressive. All animals are territorial by nature, so it's natural.

scion05
16-08-09, 14:09
Well, you did introduce a new one into the others ones home. I'd have said it was to be expected :)

Dennis's Mom
16-08-09, 14:10
Yeah, separate them. We had one kill the other when we tried that.

Nerd For Life
16-08-09, 14:11
it would be best to separate them if one of them is being too aggressive. All animals are territorial by nature, so it's natural.

Exactly.

adventurerLara
16-08-09, 14:11
You might want to try introducing them gradually to one another, for a short amount of time each day, then increase that time as they progress. Hopefully they will get used to each others company. But its best to separate them for now.

IceColdLaraCroft
16-08-09, 14:12
How did the first one die? Do you think it could've been from the aggressive one?

Shark_Blade
16-08-09, 14:24
How did the first one die? Do you think it could've been from the aggressive one? No, they got along well. I bought them very young together in the beginning. On the day before it died, it got weak lying down on the floor alot and it's fur aren't puffy like they used to be.

I guess some animals were quite territorial, but I wouldn't want them to live all alone.

Try introducing them gradually to one another, for a short amount of time each day, then increase that time as they progress. Hopefully they will get used to each others company. But its best to separate them for now.
Yeah I think I'm going to try this steps on ehow.com ("http://www.ehow.com/how_7671_introduce-hamsters-each.html)

#Step 4

Remove one hamster from its cage and put it in a box for a few minutes. Remove the second hamster and place it inside the first hamster's cage. Put the first hamster into the second hamster's cage. Let the hamsters stay in each other's cages for several hours, then return each hamster to his own, individual cage.
#
Step 5

Repeat this for several days. At first, the hamsters may appear nervous when in the other's cage, but after a few days, each hamster should appear comfortable. Time to move on to the next phase of introduction.
#
Step 6

Put the hamsters down on the floor in an enclosed room to exercise together. Make sure the doors and heating registers are closed, and that any dangerous objects are removed.
#
Step 7

Allow the hamsters to interact in the wide open space of the floor. Observe their behavior. Do they sniff each other? Do they play close to each other? Or do they tussle, or try and bite each other? Repeat this process as often as you can for several days.
I think I'm going with Step 4 and 5 for the time being. That is when I get a new cage tomorrow evening. For now, the big guy can stay in a shoe box!

Chocola teapot
16-08-09, 14:45
Threaten them at Knifepoint, They should shut up. My mouse did.

LOL Joke :p

xXhayleyroxXx
16-08-09, 14:49
are they both males?
if so thats the problem hun

two females may live together but two males will terrotorially fight. I know its not nice them living on their own, but unless they are brought up together they will fight to the death.

I've had animals ever since i was little and I was brought up with them, so I know my stuff :ton:

I hoped this helped xxx

Shark_Blade
16-08-09, 15:12
Threaten them at Knifepoint, They should shut up. My mouse did.

LOL Joke :pLOL if only that works.

are they both males?
if so thats the problem hun

two females may live together but two males will terrotorially fight. I know its not nice them living on their own, but unless they are brought up together they will fight to the death.

I've had animals ever since i was little and I was brought up with them, so I know my stuff

I hoped this helped xxx I believe both are males. I think to sort this problem up I'd change one for a female tomorrow. Yeah, maybe that'll work. I'd do just that tomorrow evening after work.

Thanks a lot Hayley, thanks guys.

Lara Croft!
16-08-09, 15:52
I had 3 Roborovski hamsters. Compared to normal hamsters, they are smaller, faster and more aggressive. I used to hold my hamsters, but the Roborovskis kept biting me. They were fighting a lot, but I never saw blood. In the shops, they are all in one cage. Imo you don't need to separate them unless they overdo it.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-08-09, 16:01
LOL if only that works.

I believe both are males. I think to sort this problem up I'd change one for a female tomorrow. Yeah, maybe that'll work. I'd do just that tomorrow evening after work.

Thanks a lot Hayley, thanks guys.

they'll mate if you get a girl, unless that's what you want of course :ton:

Changeling
16-08-09, 16:22
Males competing for dominance is always prominent in animals. Females are so much easier to handle. :p But yes, replacing one with a female will only result in both of them mating.

Shark_Blade
28-08-09, 04:14
Hey guys, just wanna tell you that I've changed my ol' solitary hamster with a new female one the day after. The shopkeeper said there's no guarantee that they won't fight even if I change, but allowed me to try it out.

When I got back home and I put her in, I'm pleasantly surprised that they got along very well. They even slept together side by side that night. There's no bickering, no squeal of distress, a complete peace of mind. :hug: Until today they're still living peacefully with each other.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions everyone. :D

larafan25
28-08-09, 04:47
seperate the cutie petuties:hug:

then they can be happy neighbours:hug:

TRhalloween
28-08-09, 04:51
I thought hamsters are supposed to live by themselves.

Kittypower
28-08-09, 04:54
I thought hamsters are supposed to live by themselves.

Teddy Bear Hamsters need to live alone( They are solitary animals by nature. In the wild they only meet up to mate. Two adult syrian (teddy bear)hamsters living together will fight to the death.) but dwarf hamster tend to be kept in pairs.

Shark_Blade
28-08-09, 05:01
Oh and also to add that the steps from eHow that I posted on post #8 on page1, totally doesn't work. :rolleyes:

I washed their cage and eliminate all odour to reintorduce themselves and to the new smell environment but later on they're still fighting.

Glad I did the right thing by changing for a female to accompany the boy hamster.
:)

Kittypower: I can't bear to pet a lonely animal so I'm glad I got dwarf hammies.

Kittypower
28-08-09, 05:02
Oh and also to add that the steps from eHow that I posted on post #8 on page1, totally doesn't work. :rolleys:

I washed their cage and eliminate all odour to reintorduce themselves and to the new smell environment but later on they're still fighting.

Glad I did the right thing by changing for a female to accompany the boy hamster.
:)

But what about babys?

Tyrannosaurus
28-08-09, 05:30
Hamsters are lovely to look at, but they're nasty and brutish with each other. Of all the rodent species I've kept, they hate each other the most. Even male siblings will fight the older they get, and must be segregated. I know a mother and daughter or father and son can be kept together and will get along for some time.

Melonie Tomb Raider
28-08-09, 06:28
I used to have a dwarf hamster, he died in like three months. I was soooo upset.

But yeah, I hear that sometimes multiple ones don't get along. :/

Shark_Blade
28-08-09, 07:47
But what about babys?What babies? :confused:You mean if he got her pregnant? I'd love to see that happening. :p

Kittypower
28-08-09, 07:57
What babies? :confused:You mean if he got her pregnant? I'd love to see that happening. :p

Be prepared, they mate like clockwork although im sure you know that.

Shark_Blade
28-08-09, 09:03
Yes of course, though I have no experience of that.

Not to worry though, my pet shop take our hamsters in if we have too many and even give us a packet or two of hamster food for the incentive. :)

scremanie
28-08-09, 09:17
Gimme one if they have babies :p

Hermina94
28-08-09, 11:02
urgh...mine are fighting too...just put them in seperate cages ^^
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2327/12582347/22382234/372898676.jpg