PDA

View Full Version : District 9

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-08-09, 04:04
http://www.latinoreview.com/images/user/district9poster.jpg

Anyone else see this stupendously amazing movie? I just got back from watching it, and WOW!! :eek:

It was so gritty and incredibly, I love how they used such real people that you could easily imagine seeing everyday. This movie is simply amazing, one of the best I have seen in a very long time. :tmb:

tranniversary119
17-08-09, 04:07
Saw it opening day. Definitely a must see movie, truly amazing! :tmb: If I'm not mistaken this is Neil Blomkamp's debut as a director, he must be happy :) Was it just me or..did the ending totally leave off for a sequel?

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-08-09, 04:11
It's not just you, I feel the same way. :p

MattTR
17-08-09, 04:14
Haven't seen it, but if I go to the movies I'll recommend this, I bet it's better then half the other movies out there at the moment. :p

tranniversary119
17-08-09, 04:16
It's not just you, I feel the same way. :p

I remember he said he'd like to do a prequel if fans wanted one. I think fans totally want one :p

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-08-09, 04:24
I remember he said he'd like to do a prequel if fans wanted one. I think fans totally want one :p

I want one! :D

miss.haggard
17-08-09, 04:25
Didnt bring it locally, had to drive and hour and half to see it. Wasnt exactly what I was expecting, the first hour or so was a little bit of a let down, just because I was expecting POW POW! PEW! BOOM! EPIC!!! And got... yeah. But once they broke into MNU, I was quite happy.

As far as looks, wow, I was sitting there stupified. It was GORGEOUS! I heard that a Halo movie depends on how well District does (and I see that it is doing well) But that is EXACTLY how I want a Halo movie to look. WOW. Beautiful. There were only a few parts that looked a little unrealistic, but other than that, I was blown away.

tranniversary119
17-08-09, 04:26
I want one! :D

Me to! It'd be interesting to see where these guys came from and there backstory and whatnot.

Carbonek_0051
17-08-09, 04:27
I want to see it for the sole reason of Neill Blomkamp's big screen debut. He directed the 3 short films known as Halo: Landfall (and was set to direct the movie). Which IMO was brilliant, I really hope that with the sucess of this a Halo movie will finally be made.

For those who haven't seen Halo: Landfall:

aDEeLr9gUmM

I will probably see this movie with freinds this weekend, I look foward to it because I have heard nothing but good things.:)

tranniversary119
17-08-09, 04:29
I think Neill should go ahead with a Halo movie. Especially after seeing District 9 :tmb:

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-08-09, 04:29
I'd also like to see Christopher's wife. In the possible prequel. :)

I think Neill should go ahead with a Halo movie. Especially after seeing District 9 :tmb:

Heck yes :jmp:

tranniversary119
17-08-09, 04:34
I'd also like to see Christopher's wife. In the possible prequel. :)
Heck yes :jmp:

Wasn't Christopher's wife the one who was dead at the MNU experiment building on the table? That might of been why he was standing there.

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-08-09, 04:36
Wasn't Christopher's wife the one who was dead at the MNU experiment building on the table? That might of been why he was standing there.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but everyone I watched the movie with kept insisting it was just some random alien, and he just noticed they were being tested and put two and two together to figure out his wife was as well. Personally, I think it was his wife though, because it instantly impacted him dramatically.

tranniversary119
17-08-09, 04:41
Yeah, that's what I thought too, but everyone I watched the movie with kept insisting it was just some random alien, and he just noticed they were being tested and put two and two together to figure out his wife was as well. Personally, I think it was his wife though, because it instantly impacted him dramatically.

I didn't think of it at first, it being her wife. But then I remembered when his friend died earlier in the film it didn't really affect him as much as it did in the lab. I guess that's open for debate.

miss.haggard
17-08-09, 04:42

Totally, as long as its a tad bit more action-y. I heard also, that Steven Spielberg wants in on a Halo movie.

Did anyone else get the preview for "The Fourth Kind" with Milla Jovovich? I NEED to see that!

tranniversary119
17-08-09, 04:45
Totally, as long as its a tad bit more action-y. I heard also, that Steven Spielberg wants in on a Halo movie.

Did anyone else get the preview for "The Fourth Kind" with Milla Jovovich? I NEED to see that!

I agree, Halo obviously need's more action :p I'm not to happy about the Steven Spielberg news...

miss.haggard
17-08-09, 04:50
Just rumors, also also :) I heard that a friend of S.S. has already written a script for 3 Halo movies (trilogyyyyyyyy:D) But of course, rumors. If its ANYTHING like Landfall I will have fallen back in love with Halo - officially.

Admles
17-08-09, 07:20
I saw the movie last week and WOW!

At first, I was like "is this how the whole movie is going to be? A news story?"

But once we got into things I couldn't look away - didn't even want to blink!

Did the ending touch anyone elses heart?

Goose
17-08-09, 08:06
Does jackson make a cameo lol, he used to in all the old weird movies like this he was involved in, Brain dead and stuff.

Admles
17-08-09, 08:15
I didn't see him, but then he apparently has very little to do with this film.

Goose
17-08-09, 08:22
Ahhh, i guess its just him putting his seal of approval on it.

Rivendell
17-08-09, 09:58
I'm gagging to see it. Really can't wait!

Mad Tony
17-08-09, 10:44
Is this even gonna come out in the UK? I checked my local Vue cinema website and ti doesn't list it at all :confused:

Dennis's Mom
17-08-09, 14:09
I thought this was a very good movie, probably not great. Wikus is not a completely likable character, although it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why, and I thought that hurt the movie some.

LaraCablara
17-08-09, 14:46
I thought this was a very good movie, probably not great. Wikus is not a completely likable character, although it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why, and I thought that hurt the movie some.

The name, the accent, the thousands of "fooks".

It was a pretty good movie though.

Rachel Croft
17-08-09, 15:07
I saw it last night! It was SO good!

Dennis's Mom
17-08-09, 15:13
The name, the accent, the thousands of "fooks".

It was a pretty good movie though.

Maybe. I starting thinking about it, and I think (for me) it was how he was a committed part of this team that treated the prawns so badly. The glee with which he performed the abortions, the fact he seemed ambivalent towards the conditions in which they lived. Had he ever really "come around" and shown real horror or remorse, I might have liked him better. At the end, he did set aside himself as a priority and defended and helped Chris, but it was almost too late.

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-08-09, 15:14
I adore this movie, one of the best I've ever seen. :) Reminded me of cloverfield with how lifelike and realistic it felt. I love that trend, hopefully more movies will do that.

WSOwen02
17-08-09, 17:49

Exact same complaints I had in another thread.

I enjoyed the movie, however, I'm not quite sure why the critics are so enamored with it. There were also some bothersome plot holes.

Chocola teapot
17-08-09, 17:49
Look's Very Intriguing.

Dennis's Mom
17-08-09, 18:33
I enjoyed the movie, however, I'm not quite sure why the critics are so enamored with it. There were also some bothersome plot holes.

Well, there's clearly some real social commentary going on. You can draw all kinds of Nazi/apartheid parallels if you want, and I think that's why it's been so praised.

However, while pondering the character of Wikus, I suddenly realized he meets the definition of a true tragic hero as defined by Aristotle. I think the whole movie may meet Aristotle's definition for tragedy.

Melanie, have you seen "Children of Men"? More dystopian than science fiction, I think you would like it if you have not seen it.

knightgames
18-08-09, 07:42

I thought the man who played Wikus did an amazing job. He goes from the bumbling fool/patsy to a hero in realistic fashion. He's originally motivated by personal advancement/insecurity.... then by personal plight.... then by true sympathy and empathy for others. Truly a great job acting to make him a believable character.

Had Wikus not been such an easy patsy I doubt he'd have commited the abortions. He was a 'follower' doing what they expected of him so he did things to be 'liked' - to seek approval - maybe even from his father in law.

I do think they tried a little to hard to make him the dolt he was in the beginning.

Anyone have any extra cat food around? I'm feeling a bit malnourished.

Dennis's Mom
18-08-09, 13:33
I thought the man who played Wikus did an amazing job. He goes from the bumbling fool/patsy to a hero in realistic fashion. He's originally motivated by personal advancement/insecurity.... then by personal plight.... then by true sympathy and empathy for others. Truly a great job acting to make him a believable character.

Classic tragedy.