PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Get How Uncharted Is Any Better Than Tomb Raider ?

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-09, 22:23
After being told uncharted is graphically better and generally a better game than tomb raider by a lot of you i watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zksmzlP_2A8

its being compared with tomb raider legend, which tbh by looking at that has better graphics.

And also i saw epic failage in the white-ledges in uncharted.

Sooo?
what on earth :ton:

Do explain xxxx

MrCroftAndre
18-08-09, 22:26
Play it. And you'll know why. :p

Legend of Lara
18-08-09, 22:28
Hmmmm... tough choice...

Something the developers took real time and effort into making, has great controls and graphics... or Tomb Raider Underworld? Tough choice, tough choice... ;)

Phlip
18-08-09, 22:30
Ignore any comparisons between the two.

tranniversary119
18-08-09, 22:31
Tomb Raider look's like the baby sister to Uncharted. In that video you posted, it's quite embarrassing how much better Uncharted is. I'll always stick with the game I grew up with, but I refuse to be in denial. However, you can't compare the two as they are both DIFFERENT games.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-09, 22:31
Play it. And you'll know why. :p

the trailers didnt fascinate me or make me want to play it, whereas i wait with baited breath for every tomb raider, baited breath because im so excited and cant wait to play!

:ton:

@tranniversary119 - actually i thought uncharted looked embarrassing! compared to what id heard...

viper456
18-08-09, 22:32
If you havn't played Uncharted then I suggest you do! I never wanted it to end! :'(

Carbonek_0051
18-08-09, 22:33
Hmmmm... tough choice...

Something the developers took real time and effort into making, has great controls and graphics... or Tomb Raider Underworld? Tough choice, tough choice... ;)
I thought you didn't play TRU.
Ignore any comparisons between the two.
This.:tmb:

Both completely different games, both good series (IMO), and both need to stop being compared due to annoyingness.

tranniversary119
18-08-09, 22:34
the trailers didnt fascinate me or make me want to play it, whereas i wait with baited breath for every tomb raider, baited breath because im so excited and cant wait to play!

:ton:

@tranniversary119 - actually i thought uncharted looked embarrassing! compared to what id heard...

You need to play it for yourself then. The game is gorgeous in terms of level design and graphics. It's a great game.

Catracoth
18-08-09, 22:35
If you can't see how Uncharted is better, someone needs to throw a PS3 at you immediately and you need to play it.

Legend of Lara
18-08-09, 22:35
I thought you didn't play TRU.

I haven't. And seeing as how it looks worse that Uncharted, more camera/control complaints than Uncharted and a hack-job PS3 port I really don't want to. My point is that there was no effort or talent put into the TRU port, thus making Uncharted, a game that effort and talent was put into, a better choice for PS3 gamers.

Lara Fan 4Life
18-08-09, 22:36
@Nate - Completely agreed! :hug:

stereopathic
i've played both TRL & Uncharted and liked both. they're both combat-heavy and linear with lots of ledge-hopping and invisible walls. uncharted has secrets as well. also, they both are very dialog-heavy and have side characters telling you what to do, giving you hints and whatnot.

frankly i can't say which one is better. uncharted is graphically better and feels slightly more polished, but suffers from a horrible case of the "uncanny valley," something legend avoided with its slightly abstract representation of human characters.

they're both short, both fun and neither is all that challenging from a puzzle perspective. i rate them exactly the same. while both were fun, neither were intelectually challenging or offered much chance for exploration. that doesn't make either of them bad games, in fact they're both quite good.

Dingaling
Tomb Raider look's like the baby sister to Uncharted. In that video you posted, it's quite embarrassing how much better Uncharted is. I'll always stick with the game I grew up with, but I refuse to be in denial. However, you can't compare the two as they are both DIFFERENT games.

Sure they're different games but they're both similar in concept and gameplay. The games will and can be compared because they are very similar to each other except for some obvious differences (the shooting mechanics mainly and the number of enemies).

Carbonek_0051
18-08-09, 22:38
i've played both and liked both. they're both combat-heavy and linear with lots of ledge-hopping and invisible walls. uncharted has secrets as well. also, they both are very dialog-heavy and have side characters telling you what to do, giving you hints and whatnot.

frankly i can't say which one is better. uncharted is graphically better and feels slightly more polished, but suffers from a horrible case of the "uncanny valley," something legend avoided with its slightly abstract representation of human characters.

they're both short, both fun and neither is all that challenging from a puzzle perspective. i rate them exactly the same. while both were fun, neither were intelectually challenging or offered much chance for exploration. that doesn't make either of them bad games, in fact they're both quite good.

I couldn't agree more.:tmb:

tranniversary119
18-08-09, 22:39
Sure they're different games but they're both similar in concept and gameplay. The games will and can be compared because they are very similar to each other except for some obvious differences (the shooting mechanics mainly and the number of enemies).

True, both revolve around skilled treasure hunters who venture out into exotic locations in order to retrieve items they want. There are similarities, but there's also quite a few differences.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-09, 22:40
You need to play it for yourself then. The game is gorgeous in terms of level design and graphics. It's a great game.

is it about discovering ancient ruins and artefacts? because thats what makes me love tomb raider, the myths and legends.
lara fascinates me

thecentaur
18-08-09, 22:42
well they're two games involving two totally different characters. IMO, they're in their own roads and shouldn't be compared. :wve:

but then again... i'd chalk one up for TR

:D

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-09, 22:45
I haven't. And seeing as how it looks worse that Uncharted, more camera/control complaints than Uncharted and a hack-job PS3 port I really don't want to. My point is that there was no effort or talent put into the TRU port, thus making Uncharted, a game that effort and talent was put into, a better choice for PS3 gamers.

btw i was completely satisfied with the ps3 port, and we got a patch to clear any glitches. the graphics are high quality and its an amazing game :)

Catracoth
18-08-09, 22:47
is it about discovering ancient ruins and artefacts? because thats what makes me love tomb raider, the myths and legends.
lara fascinates me

No, but the storyline is something you'll no doubt enjoy. Read about it on Wikipedia.

God Horus
18-08-09, 22:48
We shouldn't keep comparing them!

But Underworld is way better than Uncharted :ohn: You can only be ambushed so many times.

Reggie
18-08-09, 22:53
Why do you think Uncharted suffered from the uncanny valley effect? To me, it still looks quite stylised and I would certainly not call the visuals anything approaching hyper realistic.

Why do I prefer Uncharted over any recent TR game? The atmosphere - be it fear, peacefulness, excitement was there in spades with Uncharted and the environment looked convincing something which Crystal still fails on for the most part (I've gone into more detail on this in the 'AOD graphics are better thread). Also, the strength in Uncharted was its strategic combat (love the strategy side to it) while Legend had none because the game didn't know what it wanted to be.

Yes, Uncharted wasn't perfect but for the very fact it had atmosphere, an identity, a solid feel to the gameplay and a story I could actually give a damn about, it wins out over anything Crystal has given out including Underworld.

da tomb raider!
18-08-09, 22:59
I've played both Uncharted and Legend, and whilst I'm certainly not too fond of Legend, I'd play it over Uncharted any day.

Uncharted looks nicer than Legend, sure, but I'm never won over by graphics. And regarding Uncharted's gameplay, it felt far too linear and repetitive for my liking. Most of the time it feels much more like a third-person shooter than an action adventure. And after my tenth gunfight I for one started to get bored. Whilst Legend is horrificially linear and rather repetitive, and isn't the best balance of action and adventure, it sure does a better job than Uncharted.

Nerd For Life
18-08-09, 23:09
I'm sure that 'better' or not, depends of everyone's tastes.

stereopathic
18-08-09, 23:09
Why do you think Uncharted suffered from the uncanny valley effect? To me, it still looks quite stylised and I would certainly not call the visuals anything approaching hyper realistic.

well, there's no measure of the uncanny valley (it's different for everyone i suppose) but for me it was in the eyes mostly. they're beautiful and shiny but dead. most facial expressions felt unnatural, especially Elena's. in fact, and this is just my opinion, i felt there were more uncanny valley moments than natural representations of emotion.

however, the rest of the animations were sublime. apart from the faces, the bodies moved extremely naturally and were extremely enjoyable to watch.

Reggie
18-08-09, 23:17
well, there's no measure of the uncanny valley (it's different for everyone i suppose) but for me it was in the eyes mostly. they're beautiful and shiny but dead. most facial expressions felt unnatural, especially Elena's. in fact, and this is just my opinion, i felt there were more uncanny valley moments than natural representations of emotion.

however, the rest of the animations were sublime. apart from the faces, the bodies moved extremely naturally and were extremely enjoyable to watch.
I've just watched some cutscenes back over with Eleana and I just can't see it because I think her eyes still express emotion (is that enough though?) but I do believe what you're saying. Take it as a compliment that you've a better eye for details than me. :tmb:

Spong
18-08-09, 23:28
Uncharted is better only when you compare it to Crystal's TRs.

Angelus
18-08-09, 23:30
Wrong section, move please.

viper456
18-08-09, 23:30

LMAO :p

Spong
18-08-09, 23:41

A general topic about TR shouldn't be in the General TR chat board?

:confused: