PDA

View Full Version : Bollywood star detained at the airport for one hour. Riots ensue.

Solice
19-08-09, 01:59
Story (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/bollywood-star-says-he-will-cut-back-us-visits-ap)

From what I heard, his name came up on a watch list. It is not he, and they cleared him to go after just one hour.

Why the buzz? Perhaps he was insulted that they did not recognize him as a ‘big star’. Sorry Mr. Khan, we never heard of you. The only Khan we know was in a Star Trek movie twenty odd years ago.

I certainly do not approve of racial profiling. I don't want people stopped because of there ethnicity. Also, I certainly hope that watch list contains names of domestic, American nut cases that are just as likely as their counterparts around the world of blowing up a plane.

But it appears there is a bad guy out there with the same name, Khan. What if next time it is the bad guy named Khan on an airplane? It's just a bad case of fate.

What do you think?

IceColdLaraCroft
19-08-09, 02:03
He was detained because of his name rather than any "flag" on his paperwork. He wasn't ruffed up or abused (from what i've read).

But I agree with you because America has had MORE terrorism from white home-grown americans than from overseas.

Shark_Blade
19-08-09, 02:10
You might not heard of him, but Shah Rukh Khan is defintely famous here. I'm not a fan of him though.

I mean eventhough I don't like Bollywood movies, women love them (and some men..:pi:) and he's the main hero they anticipated to watch on the screen ever since I was a kid.

It was just a checkup, and he didn't like it; hence he will travel to US a lot less. His preference, no biggie.

miss.haggard
19-08-09, 02:21
Kkkaaaaahhhhhnnnnn!!!!!

Dark Lugia 2
19-08-09, 02:28
Hes like one of the biggest names in Bollywood, I'm not a fan though.

I doubt America will miss him much. lmao

Solice
19-08-09, 02:34
He was detained because of his name rather than any "flag" on his paperwork. He wasn't ruffed up or abused (from what i've read).

But I agree with you because America has had MORE terrorism from white home-grown americans than from overseas.

That is true, I saw a documentary on the Aryan Nation a while ago. They are very many angry people in the US wielding guns. I don't want them on an airplane. If ‘John Smith’ shows up on a watch list, and any John Smith tries to get on a plane that fits his basic description, I want that person questioned (In a reasonable manner, not Gestapo-like).

Racial profiling actually undermines security. If the terrorists know what security is looking for, the will recruit someone of a different ethnic makeup than there own.

Chocola teapot
19-08-09, 03:58
Oh my! :O

Mad Tony
19-08-09, 09:47

But I agree with you because America has had MORE terrorism from white home-grown americans than from overseas.Yeah, but it just so happens that the biggest terrorist attack by far in US history happened to be carried out by 19 people from abroad, so there you go.

To be honest I think the guy's a snob. He gets questioned for a little while and says he's not gonna visit the US as often because of it. Oh well, his loss I guess. I remember when we went to San Francisco a couple of years ago we got held up by Homeland Security because my step-dad had one of those new (at the time) biometric passports. No biggie.

snork
19-08-09, 11:08
The Muslim actor was promoting his latest film, "My Name is Khan," about racial profiling after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

How come this part didn't strike anyone as odd ?

Either someone at the Newark airport being over"patriotic" or the other way around - Mr.Khan looking for some free advertisement, making US people more aware of him.
I tend to believe the latter, so opening this topic would actually be doing him a favour / having been trolled.
--------------
--------------
I really don't like too much these postcount user ranks. It always strikes me as odd to read, from an "historian", things like "the only Khan we (sic!) know is Star Trek."