PDA

View Full Version : Living in London

LaraLuvrrr
19-08-09, 04:37
Does anyone here live in London? I visited once and loved it... and I've kind of thought of moving over there.

But I'm curious as to what it's like actually living there. I hear it's expensive... now people throw that out about most major cities regardless of nation so im not sure if that's true.

But yea if anyone can gimme some insight I'd love it :D
Thanks

Chocola teapot
19-08-09, 04:43
Even Though I live in the UK, I cant exactly say I've been there very often, The areas I have been to though are beautiful and Interesting, Our history dates back a Long time and alot of that heritage is in our capital.

It depend's what part of london you want to live in, the Commoners (lmao) live in cheaper, less nice places and the rich snobs enjoy large, statley houses, the inbetweenies are posh-ish I should imagineand not to expensive with housing. (did that sentence make sence?) But yes, with any majour city, it's expensive. (Please bare in mind it's 5:42 AM over here and If what I say makes no sence then you now know why. )

LaraLuvrrr
19-08-09, 05:59
Even Though I live in the UK, I cant exactly say I've been there very often, The areas I have been to though are beautiful and Interesting, Our history dates back a Long time and alot of that heritage is in our capital.

It depend's what part of london you want to live in, the Commoners (lmao) live in cheaper, less nice places and the rich snobs enjoy large, statley houses, the inbetweenies are posh-ish I should imagineand not to expensive with housing. (did that sentence make sence?) But yes, with any majour city, it's expensive. (Please bare in mind it's 5:42 AM over here and If what I say makes no sence then you now know why. )

lol what you're saying does make sense. I guess I would be an inbetween. And the work I'd be thinking of doing would be working in either graphic design, advertising, or as a fine art professor... I guess I need to do more research into salaries in the UK

Goose
19-08-09, 06:18
Iv, lived in London most of my life, im working up north and all over the place at the moment, but i still live here on the weekends in the south.

House prices and apartments are costly here, but there are things that try to balance it out, such as the weighting allowance if you work in certain jobs. Also currently you can buy percentages in apartments, and rent that percentage out to room mates, whilst still paying rent yourself to the company, until you have enough money to buy the place out right, or your flat mates buy the rest. There ways to live here without struggling, especially if you share your place.

As far as im concerned South London's the best place, Croydon or Sutton/Bromley areas, but like any city theres places that make them bad. Its just getting used to the area and knowing where you are and where you dont want to be, which doesn't take long. If you go further, in Surrey or Essex, you cant really go wrong, i used to commute through Redhill, which is quite near the outer edge of Surrey, only takes about 30 minutes on a good train to get to Victoria or London Bridge from there.

Its multicultural, so theres always events going on which you wouldnt normally get to see, and not only that, but everyone's your neighbor, so you get to know people from China, Africa, Europe the middle east, everywhere, which is nice. Got loads of shopping you can do, and sight seeing, but also London train terminals give you a fast link to all the Uk, except directly to Northern Ireland obviously, and parts of Northern Scotland. I used to commute from Kings Cross in London to Hull on weekends, took about 5 hours, which isnt bad if you see the distance. So your pretty much free to go anywhere you like.

Another Lara
19-08-09, 08:00
I've lived in Essex most of my life and commuted to London for the last 6 years, but now I've moved in with my boyfriend who lives in Wimbledon, so I get to see a real contrast in what places are like.

Living in London is indeed expensive and I agree with what Goose was saying about renting etc. But the thing with London is that it is where the top salaries are.
Essex is not one of the best places to live IMO as you have to consider the fact that house prices are based on the ease for commuting to London and also the salaries are local salaries, so aren't very good.
It would be better to live in London as the cost of travel (or lack of having to use it so much) makes up for rent most of the time; I was paying nearly 400 a month on travel just to be able to get to work everyday and I was trvaelling for four hours a day, now at my boyfriends I'm spending less than an hour travelling and about 30 on travel a week... BIIIG difference! ;)
I'm quite lucky though with living in Wimbledon as it is a lovely area and everything is so convenient, but then the rent prices show that... there's plenty of awful places in London I wouldn't go near, but it always is "You get what you pay for!"

But if I was you (seeing where you're from) you need to do PLENTY of research before you take the big step... I would suggest coming over and working here for a couple of months, see how it feels and go back home to have a think about whether it's worth making the move! Being on holiday somewhere is A LOT different from actually living there!

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide in the end! :hug:

jaywalker
19-08-09, 08:05
I've lived in london since starting at Eidos back in 1998.. and the changes have been huge over that time.

Rent is high, yes, but travel within the actual city limits is all zoned so pretty fixed which is great.

London can change in a matter of metres from high cost to almost gutter, so you will definitely have to research an area to death and then visit.. Googlemaps and streetview is your friend in london with almost whole city mapped :)

Also work is a big factor.. theres lots of it available IF you are willing to do pretty much anything :)

Goose
19-08-09, 08:11
I was paying nearly 400 a month on travel just to be able to get to work everyday and I was trvaelling for four hours a day.

What the hell! I travel up to just north of Birmingham when i go to work, takes less then 4 hours! 30 quid return ticket as well, but thats with a discount that i cant remember equals to. Be about 200 a month total without discount id say. I think in London Oyster cards are cheaper.

If someone was moving to central London, id just say Avoid places like Streatham and Peckham, it might be cheap, but its not worth it.

Jaywalkers right, its up to you, if you want to work in retail or somthing, or work a job with shifts you'll end up getting it.

Another Lara
19-08-09, 08:15
What the hell! I travel up to just north of Birmingham when i go to work, takes less then 4 hours! 30 quid return ticket as well, but thats with a discount that i cant remember equals to. Be about 200 a month total without discount id say. I think in London Oyster cards are cheaper.

If someone was moving to central London, id just say Avoid places like Streatham and Peckham, it might be cheap, but its not worth it.

Jaywalkers right, its up to you, if you want to work in retail or somthing, or work a job with shifts you'll end up getting it.

Yeah I live near southend and the main line train in takes nearly an hour and then I have to get the circle.... when it shows up to Kensington, which can take between half an hour to forty minutes... the rest of my time is spent waiting! (And when I say 4 hours, I mean 2 hours there and 2 hours back!)

Yeah I use the oyster card in London as the main line travel tickets are just too extortionate now when I'm at home in Essex...

I know people that live in Canning Town... has a bit of a reputtation, but the flats are nice and new and quite cheap... also you're in good distance to the city...

Still prefer Wimbledon though! ;)

Goose
19-08-09, 08:17
Yeah I live near southend and the main line train in takes nearly an hour and then I have to get the circle.... when it shows up to Kensington, which can take between half an hour to forty minutes... the rest of my time is spent waiting! (And when I say 4 hours, I mean 2 hours there and 2 hours back!)

Oh, 2 there 2 back lol, then again your doing it daily and im only making the trip on the weekend, so it would be more costly for you, even if it is alot shorter distance.

Lee croft
21-08-09, 23:29
East London is the worst!! i actually dont feel safe unless im out with at least one other person (but still id go out by my self id just be walking really fast and look over my shoulder a lot espacially since last year or the year before that...)

And to think on the news today a guy smashed open a shop window minuties away from where i live dont know if he took anything though but the shop owner put the shutters down on the shop to prevent the man from taking anything.

Catracoth
21-08-09, 23:31
I'm going to London and Paris next summer, :D.

raiderfun
21-08-09, 23:34
East London is the worst!! i actually dont feel safe unless im out with at least one other person (but still id go out by my self id just be walking really fast and look over my shoulder a lot espacially since last year or the year before that...)

And to think on the news today a guy smashed open a shop window minuties away from where i live dont know if he took anything though but the shop owner put the shutters down on the shop to prevent the man from taking anything.

Really ? Crimes are common in eastern London ?

Lee croft
21-08-09, 23:38
Really ? Crimes are common in eastern London ?

yes! they are ...

raiderfun
21-08-09, 23:39
yes! they are ...

Why necessarily in Eastern ? Few people live there ? Streets are empty at night ?

Lee croft
21-08-09, 23:42
Why necessarily in Eastern ? Few people live there ? Streets are empty at night ?

it just called East London and there are lots of druggies and sickos loose mostly at night time even though it appers empty

raiderfun
22-08-09, 00:16
it just called East London and there are lots of druggies and sickos loose mostly at night time even though it appers empty

Yes, I see, even Metro stations are known to be dangerous at night in LDN