PDA

View Full Version : Cooking disasters!

Mr.Burns
20-08-09, 18:41
What's the worst cooking mistake you or your family has made? To start things off, I was just cooking some soup, decided to put a little garlic powder in. The end popped off and long story short: My apartment REEKS of garlic and I'm crying my eyes out (worse than cutting onions). :whi:

On the plus side, the soup is tasty :D

jackles
20-08-09, 18:43
We will be able to smell you from over here Mark. ;)

Does blowing up the microwave count?
Or putting in salt instead of sugar in my currant buns?
Or dropping a whole roast dinner on the floor?

I could go on and on.

Mad Tony
20-08-09, 18:45
I was making a beef stir fry and a dessert at school in cooking once. While I was making the beef stir fry, I accidentally put large amounts of brown sugar that was meant for the dessert into it. The beef stir fry actually turned out really nice in the end though. :D

Mr.Burns
20-08-09, 18:46
Yes Jacks, do go on :D

jackles
20-08-09, 18:48
Ummm what about having to retrieve mince out of the bin after I didn't put enough on exes dinner.....

Or having a massive crane fly land on my spag bog like a giant flying garnish..

still want me to go on??

interstellardave
20-08-09, 18:49
My sister-in-law made spaghetti and meatballs once, without cooking the meatballs first... she thought they'd cook in the sauce!

ultima espio
20-08-09, 18:49
I took gcse cooking. There was soo many disasters between us all in the class :vlol:

My most famous disaster helped my teacher lose the plot :vlol:

My friend was cooking pasta, and she asked me to stir it while she chopped some vegetables. So i was stirring it, but it became stiff. The technician came over and put some salt in to loosen it up. Then the water started overflowing, running all down the cooker and all over the floor, i couldnt turn it off coz the boiling water was running over the power switch. There was boiling water and pasta all over the floor:vlol::vlol::vlol:

My mate once got salt and sugar the wrong way around, she put 6 grams of salt in cookies with a pinch of sugar:vlol:

Ward Dragon
20-08-09, 19:11
One time I put aluminum foil in the microwave, enough said :whi:

kristi
20-08-09, 19:11
Well this isn't a true disaster.
My "mission was only to pour some water in the meat soup mom was cooking when she was away.Instead,I was playing with my Xbox and completely unaware of what was going on the kitchen.When mom came from work,I heard her screaming all over the house and then I saw a lot of smoke in the kitchen.All I had for dinner was some burnt meat...:o

Kelly Craftman
20-08-09, 19:14
i lost my ring in some pasta and my sister had the bowl with the ring in, she swolloed it! :eek:

Cloe Christina
20-08-09, 19:19
I once was cooking an egg ... like you do .... and when i cracked it my fingers went into the oil and i burnt three of my fingers .....
that wasn't really a disaster but that's all i could think of for now ....

Lemmie
20-08-09, 19:22
My mother and I tried to make cinder toffee once. It's like the honeycomb that you get in some chocolate bars if you don't know it. It's basically golden syrup and sugar and some other things I think. :D

Anyway, the end result was a baking tray of greenish-brown, hard, shiny muck. I tried tasting it. That was a mistake.

scion05
20-08-09, 19:27
Hmmmm, when I was in year 9, I made two chocolate sponges to stick together with chocolate cream. Sadly, I used plain flour as opposed to self raising and I coulda broke the window with them :(

ajrich17901
20-08-09, 19:29
I shouldnt be allowed in a kitchen,

Ive blown up two microwaves, and somehow managed to catch the toaster on fire, also cought the stove on fire >.> lmfao im just full of win. >.< Tried to make a cake once and it came out hard as a rock...I quit! haha

WCookie
20-08-09, 19:32
My fathers and I were making shrimps, and we are adding this :
http://quitandinha.net/images/colorau_dona_benta_latin.jpg
Colorau, I don't really know the name in english, just in portuguese, sorry >_>
Continuing, we made shrimp and were adding that to the shrimp.

We were going to eat, and it was burning as hell, because instead of colorau, we added piri piri >_>.

Oh and I already mixed lots of things yucky and blah, and eated it I think.

Ewww :vlol:

tranniversary119
20-08-09, 19:34
I had a very bad accident with Macaroni :o I thought instead of cooking it on the stove it would be easier to just cook in the microwave. I put it in there, turned it on and I went downstairs, came back up and my microwave was smoking :vlol: :(

scion05
20-08-09, 19:35
I shouldnt be allowed in a kitchen,
Tried to make a cake once and it came out hard as a rock...I quit! haha

See, but you have an excuse if you're genuinely crappy at cooking, I'm not that bad at all lol.

ajrich17901
20-08-09, 19:36
See, but you have an excuse if you're genuinely crappy at cooking, I'm not that bad at all lol.

There is no word to describe how bad I am at cooking lol:p

WCookie
20-08-09, 19:37
I can only make omelets and I'm lucky I didn't burn all the house :vlol:

Larapink
20-08-09, 20:21
I hate it when I burn Pizza in the oven, because there is really no point in burnt cheese. :(

SamReeves
20-08-09, 20:23
Microwaving brownies…

That should never ever be done!

irjudd
20-08-09, 20:29
I'm so hungry.

Nannonxyay
20-08-09, 20:35
In Food Technology this year, my friend asked me to put salt in her spaghetti and as I was pouring it in, the lid came loose and about a quarter of it tipped into the pan. The spaghetti was covered in salt, but we just plated it up and laughed about it...then the teacher test tasted it before we could stop her. She had to down about three glasses of water.

maniakatosheto
20-08-09, 21:08
My personal favorite disasters . Akhem :)
1.st Once i tried making some delicious yellow cheese and ham sandwich in a plain plate in the microwave.... after 1.5 mins of waiting i heard a huge bang .. iwas like wtf? i opened the microwave to my suprise XD the plate was in two but the sandwich was still hanging so i ate it lol.
2.nd I remember when i was younger about 10 yrs i took some cheese and put it on the stove in a metal container... i left it for some time then i felt a smell in the air and said mmmm someone is really cooking something delicio.... Oh damn it! i forgot the cheese on the stove! i hurried to the kitchen took it off the stove with about 4 times burning my self and i burned the table :D
3.rd and best of all we had a little electric barbeque . and one night i decided im hungry i putted in some cheese and ham sandwiches.. So they were done and i took em out but there was something i forgot but i didn't think about it. After 5 mins of enjoying my food i realised i left the barbeque plugged! i was OMG went there pulled out the cord from the socket . And took a glass of water cause it was like on fire. and i poured the water on the evil thingie . and WHOOOF! a humongeous flame passed right infront of me. i was like omg . and there was lots of smoke *cough*

Joely-Moley
20-08-09, 23:38
Oh, I've had a few. :o

I baked a cake once and it imploded on itself. I learned that is why it is important to use the correct ingredients and the right measurements for making a cake.

Another time I came home drunk and hungry so I put on some boiled eggs and I feel asleep and they exploded. I woke up and the pot had a big hole burned in it and the eggs were splattered on the celling...I didn't think that was possible. It was great fun trying to clean that up.

I also set fire to a quorn burger when grilling it or more so the paper that I was using to grill it on. It just went up in flames.

I also attempted to make soup one time and I wanted to thicken it up because it was really watery, anyway I thought it would be a good idea to put mashed potatoes in to thicken it up - Yeah, that was not good at all.

OH! I remember a few years ago watching the film 'Benny and Joon' I decided I wanted to make a grilled cheese sandwich like he did in the movie..with an iron. Except my iron had steam holes in it and all the bread and cheese got burnt and stuck in them. I ended up having to throw it out, because even after I thought I'd cleaned it everytime I'd use it I'd get grilled cheese on my clothes.

I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a kitchen.

Shauni
20-08-09, 23:55
These stories are great :vlol:
I'm ok at cooking now, but when I was younger I was a disaster xD

~ I put a york peppermint patty in the microwave with the foil still on, and it caught fire. xD

~ Somehow I managed to make thanksgiving turkey leftovers explode and start smoking after only being in the oven for 20 seconds :P

~ I once made a cake so disgusting my Dad threw it out after taking one bite xD

~ I was baking macaroni & cheese one day, and it just caught on fire. =/

~ I gave my dad a giant bunny candy for Easter, and he put it on the microwave and it caught fire. He thought it was hilarious O_O

~ I wanted to know what happens when you put an Ivory soap bar in the microwave, and I found out it expands! It filled up the entire microwave xD

Catracoth
20-08-09, 23:57
I put pre-cooked bacon in the microwave for thirty seconds instead of ten, and needless to say, the smell was more foul than a sewer.

Joely-Moley
21-08-09, 00:05
http://i28.************/4hzatv.jpg

If this ever happens to me then I'll know I have some serious problems.

Catracoth
21-08-09, 00:07
http://i28.************/4hzatv.jpg

If this ever happens to me then I'll know I have some serious problems.

Guilty as charged.

miss.haggard
21-08-09, 00:08
My dad and I were making a apple pie for thanksgiving, and the recipe called for one egg, so we thought nothing of it and threw the egg into the mix, and cooked the pie. Well when it came out I was reading over the recipe again, and realized that the egg was for the egg wash, on top! Well we both ate it and it was fine, but my brother and mom refused to eat it! What makes this worse is my dad is a chef! LOL!

Also when I was younger I was making noodles on the stove, a noodle dropped down into the burner and after a few minutes started on fire, now me being like 7, freaked out and ran around the house at 9pm (parents go to sleep at 7) yelling FIRE FIRE! at the top of my lungs. Same situation, just make it a frozen juice box in the microwave... before I knew that foil + microwave = uh oh!

Catracoth
21-08-09, 00:09
Remind me not to have your father cook my food, :vlol:!

miss.haggard
21-08-09, 00:12
HA! He is so good, I guess there was just too much to do!

]{eith
21-08-09, 00:13
I have actually set cereal on fire by accident. It was a very shameful moment. Another one was when I absent mindedly was cooking noodles and I felt they need a bit more water (and I was preparing a large meal for a lot of people - and was ate) and so instead of pouring water in, for some reason I poured Coke all over my noodles and didn't realise until after I was finished cooking them. GAH!!! :eek:

thecentaur
21-08-09, 00:20
{eith;3952009']I have actually set cereal on fire by accident. It was a very shameful moment.
lmfao I really wanna see that xD

{eith;3952009']Another one was when I absent mindedly was cooking noodles and I felt they need a bit more water (and I was preparing a large meal for a lot of people - and was ate) and so instead of pouring water in, for some reason I poured Coke all over my noodles and didn't realise until after I was finished cooking them. GAH!!! :eek:

must've tasted good :P

Tony9595
21-08-09, 03:06
One time I put aluminum foil in the microwave, enough said :whi:

Oh my gosh! That just happened to me tonight!!!
Since it was dark I screamed like crazy after watching strange lights coming out of the microwave!! I ran to it and unplugged it :eek:

What a terrible experience... :o

NemesisX13X
21-08-09, 03:30
Oh my gosh! That just happened to me tonight!!!
Since it was dark I screamed like crazy after watching strange lights coming out of the microwave!! I ran to it and unplugged it :eek:

What a terrible experience... :o

Tony! Stay away from the kitchen! :vlol:

xMiSsCrOfTx
21-08-09, 03:39
Two Thanksgivings ago, when my cousin's fiancee was supposed to be helping my mom with dinner. She put the turkey in the oven. When it was done, she opened it up and it was ice cold. She never turned the oven on.

Definitely not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed, but we all had a good laugh about it. :D

scoopy_loopy
21-08-09, 03:58
I once put popcorn in the microwave for 10 minutes instead of 1... end result - popcorn and bag become one big fused, stinking, blob, and ceramic plate explodes.

I swear to god that kitchen never smelled the same since :vlol:

Tony9595
21-08-09, 04:02
Tony! Stay away from the kitchen! :vlol:

Whoops! I'm gonna study gastronomy on the university :p

NemesisX13X
21-08-09, 04:35
Whoops! I'm gonna study gastronomy on the university :p

:yik: I can hear sirens already! :vlol:

rowanlim
21-08-09, 05:05
The worst I've done was over-boil the porridge :D

DaNoNeMoKiId
21-08-09, 05:25
I was deep frying Shrimp tempura once and I was talking to my grandma on the phone...Next thing I knew was the smoke alarm went off and the shrimp didn't even look like shrimp anymore... O_O

Tombraiderx08
21-08-09, 05:31
i just finished my ramen... i think its a bit undercooked :S

Melonie Tomb Raider
21-08-09, 05:47
I was making french toast with farm fresh eggs, and when I cracked the egg open, there was a dead nearly fully developed chick in it. :eek:

Tony9595
21-08-09, 05:48
↑ OMG that's disgusting!! :vlol:
The closer I've been to that is when I cracked an egg... it had a bit of blood on it :(

freeze10108
21-08-09, 07:35
I was making french toast with farm fresh eggs, and when I cracked the egg open, there was a dead nearly fully developed chick in it. :eek:

↑ OMG that's disgusting!! :vlol:
The closer I've been to that is when I cracked an egg... it had a bit of blood on it :(

Oh my god! I would have totally skipped a meal that day...

Let's see now...

One time I was making brownies and the recipe called for mini marshmallows. I didn't have any, so I thought I could tear up some normal sized ones and throw them in there. But I, for some reason, ended up putting like, two whole marshmallows in the pan and baked them for a while. When I checked on them the marshmallows looked funny, so I though they weren't done... Needless to say, those brownies got about twice as much time in the oven than they needed.

Another time, my dad had me make some hot dogs for dinner. He told me to use the plastic pan we had and put it in the microwave. I didn't hear the microwave part, so I put it on the burner and melted part of the pan. The kitchen stunk for the rest of the day...

TR love
21-08-09, 08:23
When i was making microwave popcorn the whole bag caught on fire, and my sister had to take it out and put it in the sink XD

and once i made a cake that was too watery, and the outsides were almost on fire while the center was still liquid

hera7days
21-08-09, 08:44
I put pretzels in macaroni in cheese to see how it would taste. Answer? Like crap.

My brother cooked up some habanero peppers... I'm not sure what method he used, but I don't think it was right because it stung our eyes so bad, we had to get out of the house.

My mom baked a screw into a muffin.

disneyprincess20
21-08-09, 08:56
I haven't done anthing that bad myself (touch wood) but my dad should not be allowed in the kitchen.

He put a saucepan in the microwave. He set fire to an AGA oven (this is a feat in itself. AGA were highly impressed, so much so they gave my mother a discount on her new one several years later). He drank egg yolks thinking they were orange juice. When my sister was a little girl and made "chocolate" pie from the field he actually ate it (even though it had grass in it) and was sick. He also ate my homework when I did a project on how yeast rises during the bread making process. Try explaining that one to your teacher.

Thorir
21-08-09, 09:29
I put curry powder in my cocoa one time...
I was going for a hint of cinnamon, but the boxes were the same, and they are almost the same colour...

Curry cocoa. Not nice. :mad:

Croft, Lara
21-08-09, 09:36
I once cried whilst making beans on toast because my beans were cooked and my toast wasn't ready.

It took my 17, I repeat 17 attempts to get jelly right. You know, jelly. The stuff were you just add water.

Once, I was trying to make chips. The chip pan caught fire. To put it out I poured water on it.

I am not allowed to cook anymore.

Trigger_happy
21-08-09, 10:54
I'm useless at cooking, The first time I made an omelette, I didn't realise you needed to flip it, so one side was lovely and black. And then I added a lovely handful of raw bacon, thinking it would cook in the pan- it didn't.

Laralissa
21-08-09, 12:33
I wouldn't say it was extreme enough to be a distaster, but my boyfriend really baffled me with his cooking a week or so back. We were late home so decided to have something simple, so we got a pizza and some garlic bread from the local shop. He assured me that he'd be fine cooking it, so I left him to it while I set the dvd up. Ten minutes later, he managed to burn the pizza to a crisp - but the most confusing thing ever was that he had managed to singe the garlic bread so the outside was pitch black, yet the inside was still cold :p

Psychos'Я'Us
21-08-09, 12:48
I once made an omelette that looked like something straight out of a Resident Evil game :o That's the only one I can think of and I don't have that many cooking disasters since I don't cook...thank god lmfao.

Atlantisfreak666
21-08-09, 12:49
I burnt cake icing once. I put it in the microwave.
:p

adventurerLara
21-08-09, 15:27
I think I'm quite alright at cooking but that isn't to say I don't have the odd minor mistake. :whi:

remote91
21-08-09, 15:52
I haven't done anthing that bad myself (touch wood) but my dad should not be allowed in the kitchen.

He put a saucepan in the microwave. He set fire to an AGA oven (this is a feat in itself. AGA were highly impressed, so much so they gave my mother a discount on her new one several years later). He drank egg yolks thinking they were orange juice. When my sister was a little girl and made "chocolate" pie from the field he actually ate it (even though it had grass in it) and was sick. He also ate my homework when I did a project on how yeast rises during the bread making process. Try explaining that one to your teacher.
...is he still alive?

disneyprincess20
21-08-09, 15:53
Oh yes, but he nearly wasn't after the homework incident. We cook for him, and only let him make toast or cups of tea.

robm_2007
21-08-09, 17:42
sometimes, even i follow a recipe exactly, it will still end up like ****.

tomblover
21-08-09, 17:51
I undercook ramen, like, all the time. :vlol:

EDITZ:

My sister-in-law made spaghetti and meatballs once, without cooking the meatballs first... she thought they'd cook in the sauce!

Cold meatballs (The sort you just warm up and eat, not homemade ones.) are delicious! :p

Nenya awakens
26-08-09, 18:00
Oh, I've had a few. :o

I baked a cake once and it imploded on itself. I learned that is why it is important to use the correct ingredients and the right measurements for making a cake.

Another time I came home drunk and hungry so I put on some boiled eggs and I feel asleep and they exploded. I woke up and the pot had a big hole burned in it and the eggs were splattered on the celling...I didn't think that was possible. It was great fun trying to clean that up.

I also set fire to a quorn burger when grilling it or more so the paper that I was using to grill it on. It just went up in flames.

I also attempted to make soup one time and I wanted to thicken it up because it was really watery, anyway I thought it would be a good idea to put mashed potatoes in to thicken it up - Yeah, that was not good at all.

OH! I remember a few years ago watching the film 'Benny and Joon' I decided I wanted to make a grilled cheese sandwich like he did in the movie..with an iron. Except my iron had steam holes in it and all the bread and cheese got burnt and stuck in them. I ended up having to throw it out, because even after I thought I'd cleaned it everytime I'd use it I'd get grilled cheese on my clothes.

I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a kitchen.

Lmao at the eggs!!

I managed to set fire to RAW spaghetti, it was dangling over the side of the pan and it caught fire :eek:

January_Snow*
26-08-09, 18:48
I burned rice, completley, it was the colour of coal, and the whole house was filled with smoke.

I also completley burned mini pizzas to coal, I feel to sleep accidentaly :vlol: it took ages to get that horrible smell from the house...

Put aloot of salt in the puding by accident...

So after those incidents the only thing I can do is cook hotdogs, and fry an egg :vlol:

Tonyrobinson
26-08-09, 18:57
In Health and Food Science when I went to high school we had to make curry. Mine's started bubbling rapidly and I couldn't turn down the oven's hob and it started splatting over the walls and room. Needless to say I had to stay behind to clean it up and my ***** of a teacher gave me a detention :p

God Horus
26-08-09, 19:22
I was making hot chocolate once and some of the cocoa powder fell onto the stove. No biggie, so I just wet a piece of paper towel and I was wiping it off. But the other end of the paper towel was still dry, and I ripped off a big piece, so the the flame from the stove touched the paper towel and it immediately started burning and I panicked so I just dropped the paper towel into my hot chocolate. At least the hot chocolate put the fire out. :o I had to pour it out though because of all the ash and stuff that got into it :(

And another time I made a baked potato and it got a bit cool because I left it for a while, so I opened up the aluminum foil, and put butter inside, and salt and pepper and stuff. The potato was still wrapped up in aluminum foil. So I put the baked potato wrapped up in aluminum foil in the microwave and sat down and started watching TV in the other room, and I was like "wait... I swear what I just did is dangerous. Oh well what's the worst that could happened?" and maybe 20 seconds later I was dumping buckets of water into the microwave.

The microwave still works fine though! :eek:

Tonyrobinson
26-08-09, 19:29
Hahaha, Reminds me this one time I do not know why. But my sister had decided to put the sugar in a salt seller. We all brought home chips and we forgot that it wasn't salt on the table. Still ate them though! Or this other time my mum brought home a chicken pie to eat from the bakery. She put it in the oven and made beans and mashed potatoes to go with it. But it turned out to be apple pie :tea:...

Also (Yes my family are misfits :p): There was this one time my mum bought a ham to go with our turkey at Christmas and it turned out to be pork :p

*richietrent*
26-08-09, 19:49
My sister made a potato explode in a microwave once.. Thinking bout it, it kinda felt like clubbing with all the smoke, and the kitchen light!

Gabi
26-08-09, 19:53
There was this one time my mum bought a ham to go with our turkey at Christmas and it turned out to be pork :p
Well, what did you expect it to be? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham

badboy70
26-08-09, 20:56
I once baked a cake, and I don't know where I went wrong nor do I know how I did it but it turned out to taste like rubber. I think you couldnt' tell the difference between eating rubber and the cake because even the texture of the cake was like rubber.

I also tried to make catalan cream once. The first time the top layer wasn't burned and it was like porridge (this was at school).
Then I tried again at school and the top layer was a little bit burned but the overall thing was one big jelly.

I've also burned a lot of meat, if you wanna know.

There are some things I can cook tho :p

ace_85
26-08-09, 21:35
I managed a quite impressive disaster about an hour ago actually. Was chopping chillis for a chilli con carne and somehow one of them managed to spray oil straight into my eye as I cut it. Anyone who is even remotely familiar with the properties of raw chillis will understand my pain, copius swearing and having to then sit with my eye under cold running water for about 10 mins.

Epic cookery fail :o