PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have an apartment?

Shauni
21-08-09, 06:01
Hey guys!

I'll be moving into my very first apartment in about 6 months. :) I don't really know what to expect, because all of my friends apartments are so different. Some are furnished, some aren't, some have cable tv and others don't, and some have laundry mats and others have washers in the room. So I'm kind of confused as what to expect. So if any of you on here are living in an apartment, what should I expect? What's some of the good & the bad of living in an apartment? What was the monthly price? And can you actually hear other people through the walls or was it relatively quiet? lol. I don't really know anything about apartments, help! :D

ChingKong
21-08-09, 06:06
haha wow good for you!

i live in an apartment with my sister and mother who is the manager and the first thing you should know is that if there is a laundry mat, protect your clothes! so many people have lost cothes in my apartment complex and come complaining to my mom....she cant do anything though. and yea if your neighbors are loud enough, you can hear them lol... the great thing is that you sometimes make friends with the other tenants :D

scoopy_loopy
21-08-09, 06:24
I never heard any of my neibours when I lived in an apartment last year and for abit the year before that. Its pretty quiet, unless they have a party or something I guess (which didnt happen in my building... it was far too strict)

Definently check out all those details about wether or not you get a small laundry or you have to share a laundromat, all these things are very important to know before you even consider signing a contract.

Also, keep on the board of directors good side. Seriously.

Squibbly
21-08-09, 08:53
I live on my own in an apartment, and I enjoy it. It all really depends on where you live, the area, and a bunch of other things.

I pay $630 per month for what I have (a pretty decent size and large balcony). I have to pay for electricity, and then my phone and internet bill, but everything else is included in the rent. Laundry room is on-site, in the basement of the building (which sounds scary but it isn't lol).

The only down-side to an apartment I think can sometimes be neighbours. You might live next to a loud one, or something else you don't like. But apartments are still a nice place to start off, and you can bring forth any complaints to landlords.

Ask a lot of questions about the building, make sure you look in cupboards (if you spot the shell of a bug, don't get it - my last apartment was infested with cockroaches), check around windows for mould and any drafts, check the ceilings (especially corners) for evidence of leaks. Those are a few things I can think of off the top of my head, but I will edit my post if I think of more. :)

Marianna12
21-08-09, 10:24
I live in an apartment 8 years now...
Neighbours are the worst part! You have to be quiet, no loud music etc... They can be really annoying, believe me! :rolleyes:

Alex Shepherd
21-08-09, 10:52
Hey guys!

I'll be moving into my very first apartment in about 6 months. :) I don't really know what to expect, because all of my friends apartments are so different. Some are furnished, some aren't, some have cable tv and others don't, and some have laundry mats and others have washers in the room. So I'm kind of confused as what to expect. So if any of you on here are living in an apartment, what should I expect? What's some of the good & the bad of living in an apartment? What was the monthly price? And can you actually hear other people through the walls or was it relatively quiet? lol. I don't really know anything about apartments, help! :D

I live in the apartments the first time I born, and I hate apartments, but the only thing that you'll like it there is the neighbors and friends, where you can't stay home, you will see alots of people in your age down the apartment, go and meet them, you can't put a dog there, it's not really a huge place to play, you must put him on the roof but be ware of the sun just make a house for it. But living in a house is BETTER, at least you have a garden, and your own garden, and the house is bigger than the apartments and it has stairs :D when I grow up, I will take my wife and my children in a beautiful house.

Trigger_happy
21-08-09, 10:58
I'm going to be soon. My Uni accommodation gives me a flat which I share with 5 others. I've got my own room and we share a kitchen and living room. Its going to be great fun!

FourBalls
21-08-09, 11:02
I've lived in an apartment all my life :) Well, all I can say is that I hope you have nice and understanding neighbours. Mine here are awful, lol. Especially upstairs neighbours. They listen to music too loud, they have random parties every now and then where they all get drunk and fall off stairs/beat each other up. Not all that fun. But if you happen to get into a nice neighbourhood and into an apartment building where people aren't too strict on rules or anything, it should be great! And well, if your neighbours are annoying, at least you can annoy them back :p

Tomb Raider Master
21-08-09, 11:03
What's the occasion of moving if I may ask? :)

adventurerLara
21-08-09, 11:04
No, but I plan to in years to come. :)

Shauni
21-08-09, 16:32
Thanks everyone for your comments! Sounds like an apartment can be nice, but neighbours are the annoying parts lol. And I'll make sure I check all the details, plus look for bugs before I move it! haha :) The only thing I'm scared about is the laundry mat, I'm a tiny little lady and I'd be scared to go down there alone! Plus I've got some rather inappropriate clothes that I don't want anyone to see, they might get the wrong impression :vlol:

Oh and another question, do you guys think your apartments are well sized? Not too crowed or small? :)

What's the occasion of moving if I may ask? :) Well my Hubby has a job lined up in another state, which will pay amazingly, so when he graduates in 6 months we can move closer to it. Right now we're sharing a place with his brothers, and they're kind of obnoxious so we really need a place of our own now! haha :D

Cristina
21-08-09, 17:08
I live in Apartment in about 4 years. :)

miss.haggard
21-08-09, 17:16
@ OP - we just moved out of our last apartment (and into our fist house OH YA!) and this was our basic experience.

It was a 1 bed, 1 bath place, nice with carpet. Pretty basic. You could occasionaly hear the neighbors when they played music, but other than that we got lucky and had alot of old people living near us. We wanted to live on the 2nd floor, even though its a hassle when grocery time comes, but weve heard that less robberies happen on 2nd floors. We always paid rent 2 days before it was due, and always made friendly with the managers. A nice point is if your fridge ever goes out, they will fix it for you (if they are good) or any other problems like that, you dont have to worry about anymore.

The bad point was basically the lease, when we bought out house we still had 2 months on it, and either had to pay those two months, and forfeit our security deposit ($1200 in all) or just pay the $800 for the two months and have an empty apartment. It really sucks to break a lease, and if you can, I would advise trying to find a place where you pay on a monthly basis. We (one month after lease expired) are still waiting to receive our security deposit back, they can basically take it for any reason, holes in the wall, didnt clean it thoroughly after leaving, anything.

We lived in a lady's basement that she converted to an apt for about a year, and that was REALLY nice, $350 for everything and she was super nice! I would try to find something like that!

Chocola teapot
21-08-09, 18:02
No.

TRULuverzz
21-08-09, 18:03
me got an apartment! and it sucks _

Joely-Moley
21-08-09, 18:12
I've got one.

Location is defiantly one of the most important things to look at. My area is ok, just becomes a little weird at right, so make sure you do some research into the location first!
If you can find a furnished one for a reasonable price I'd recommend that, certainly beats having to buy everything!

The walls in my apartment are paper thin which SUCKS. There are some things I just don't need to hear! :(
My monthly rate is 450 which is a lot, but I live near the city centre which is why.

Chug a Bug
21-08-09, 21:26
Hey guys!

No, I have a flat! :p Seriously though, some are furnished and some are not. Check at the time of applying. Furnished are usually a little more expensive. (Furnishings do vary a lot in quality, some are very cheap, so check before you move in.) Ditto with TV. I've no idea what a "laundry mat" or a "washer" is... but I'll make a guess and say a "washer" is a washing machine in which, same as before, some do and some don't. As before, ask.

The good: cheaper than a house, it's your own space! The bad: neighbours. Can be hell. Also check beforehand if you're expected to pay maintenance charges, local taxes, heating bills etc or whether they're thrown in with the overall rent/charge - these will add up and will make what seems like a good deal on paper turn out to be rather expensive.

Monthly price varies with size (usually number of bedrooms) and the area! Poor districts are cheaper... but not so great to live in.

Can you hear people thru the walls - depends on

1) the neighbourhood - quiet residential district or downtown/student accomodation district? - if so, expect noise especially late at night, typically loud music etc.

2) The building - purpose built blocks are generally better noisewise, generally the newer the better - often have soundproofing built in. Converted houses are the worst - often thin dividing walls and poor, if any, sound insulation. Do not recommend.

My own experiance varies from cheap accomodation in a poor district in a conversion - had nightmare experiances with noisy neighbours playing loud music all hours of the day/night, paper thin wall so you could hear a pin drop next door - and later had a new occupant who was paranoid, violent and tried to kick the door in once and repeatedly knifed the tyres on my car - was very glad to get out of there - to where I live now which is a nice quiet flat in a purpose built block in a residential neighbourhood - been here 4 years+ and had no trouble at all. Peace and quiet at last. BLISS! :tmb:

MiCkiZ88
21-08-09, 21:31
I had, and I loved it. Now I'm currently living with my boyfriend at his dad's place and it's not the best option.. I miss my apartment. :(

TRGamer8
21-08-09, 21:43
I live in a house :ton:

January_Snow*
21-08-09, 21:46
I live in a house since I was born, but my parents are buying me my own apartment in September :yah: :yah: cant wait :D