PDA

View Full Version : What is a motherboard?

Lara Coft Baby
22-08-09, 05:16
OK I know little about computer parts. And I got a question firstly, we had a storm and it messed up my motherboard by what my dad said. and think i might need a new one. If he replaces this will i lose any files on my computer?

ECB
22-08-09, 05:32
This should probably be placed under the Technical Forum. :)

Lara Coft Baby
22-08-09, 05:46
well i figured since i wasnt exactly asking for help it didnt matter

Beans-Bot
22-08-09, 05:56
The motherboard is exactly what it sounds, the center [or "mother"] of your computer. Most everything that makes your computer tick is on the motherboard. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard)

If you have time, you can transfer all of your necessary files to a flash drive and carry them over to your new hard drive.

how did your motherboard get damaged in a rainstorm? :pi:

Lara Coft Baby
22-08-09, 06:07
how did your motherboard get damaged in a rainstorm? :pi:

Lighting hit and messed it up i dont quite know

Agent Dee
22-08-09, 06:10
yeah all your files are actually stored on your hard drive, you can swap out the board and not loose anything but there is ONE catch. you will HAVE to re install windows. if you have 2 drives like me (one for windows and apps/drivers, and one for your files) the one with windows on it will be the only one that has to be formatted and re installed. i learned this the hard way when i put in a new motherboard, CPU (the brain of the PC that sits on the board) and some new memory. when i powered it up it went psycho on me, saying UNABLE TO LOAD OS (operating system). I called up my PC guru, and he told me you have to do a fresh windows install when plugging in a drive into your case and to the board. now this is not ALWAYS the case, sometimes if you put the exact same make/model motherboard as what was taken out you may MAY get away with it.

Johnnay
22-08-09, 07:10
This should probably be placed under the Technical Forum. :)

not really since he didnt need any help( for now).

hes asking whats a motherboard now how to install a new one:)

got it:)

jamieoliver22
22-08-09, 07:56
yeah all your files are actually stored on your hard drive, you can swap out the board and not loose anything but there is ONE catch. you will HAVE to re install windows. if you have 2 drives like me (one for windows and apps/drivers, and one for your files) the one with windows on it will be the only one that has to be formatted and re installed. i learned this the hard way when i put in a new motherboard, CPU (the brain of the PC that sits on the board) and some new memory. when i powered it up it went psycho on me, saying UNABLE TO LOAD OS (operating system). I called up my PC guru, and he told me you have to do a fresh windows install when plugging in a drive into your case and to the board. now this is not ALWAYS the case, sometimes if you put the exact same make/model motherboard as what was taken out you may MAY get away with it.

Yeah, if you replace it with the same model of motherboard, you should be ok. I managed to recover an old version of windows on a slightly newer model of the same motherboard (same chipsets) and it just about work (apart from my dodgy ram messing up).

But yeah, as others said - it is basically the main circuit board that everything else plugs into, and controls what everything does.

Lara Coft Baby
22-08-09, 13:06
not really since he didnt need any help( for now).

hes asking whats a motherboard now how to install a new one:)

got it:)

lol First off im a girl not a guy :vlol:

And 2ndly thanks for the help guys. I was able to back up my files on a disk just to be on the safe side. Better safe then sorry. :p