PDA

View Full Version : Swedish court orders shutdown of The Pirate Bay

tranniversary119
24-08-09, 22:49
Updates: 2:02 p.m. and 11:55 a.m. PT To include statement from the music industry and reports that some people are able to access the site.

A Swedish district court has ordered an Internet service provider there to stop servicing The Pirate Bay.

The most popular BitTorrent tracker in the world appeared to be inaccessible to many in the U.S. on Monday morning but the blog TorrentFreak reported that the site had found a new connection to the Web and there were reports from readers that they were able to log on to the site. Citing a source close to The Pirate Bay, TorrentFreak said that the tracker was still down but would be back up on Tuesday.

An executive with Black Internet told Swedish newspaper SvD that the court informed the company that it would either shut off The Pirate Bay or face penalties. The founders of The Pirate Bay were found guilty of copyright violations last April.

The executive told the newspaper that Black Internet is not the only ISP servicing The Pirate Bay but is probably the largest. He said none of the other ISPs were affected by the decision. He added that the company is considering options.

It's unclear how long Black Internet will be forced to stop service for The Pirate Bay. The company may not be able to resume service until the appeal filed by The Pirate Bay founders is settled, SvD reported.

The news comes on the heels of a victory for the founders of The Pirate Bay.

Sweden's government run debt-collection agency, commonly referred to as the bailiff, said it could find no attachable assets belonging to three of the four founders of the site. A group of media companies had asked the bailiff to collect the $4 million a court had awarded them after finding the four Pirate Bay founders guilty of copyright violations.

At this point, the future of the site, at least in name, appears to rest with the software maker Global Gaming Factory X, the software maker and operator of Internet cafes. The company said in June it would pay $8 million to acquire The Pirate Bay and the deal is supposed to close on Thursday. But Swedish regulators halted trading in Global Gaming on Friday over questions about the company's financial readiness to complete the transaction.

At the very least, the launch of a new Pirate Bay, one with authorized film and music copies, is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry issued a statement applauding the decision by the court and Black Internet.

"The Court's ruling yet again confirms the illegality of The Pirate Bay's operation and demonstrates the liability of ISPs that provide internet services to The Pirate Bay," the IFPI wrote. "The Pirate Bay seeks to continue to infringe our members' rights on a commercial scale and further actions against ISPs who enable access to The Pirate Bay are planned."
source (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10316037-93.html)
Thoughts?

Mad Tony
24-08-09, 22:53
People will just use another torrent site lol.

irjudd
24-08-09, 22:55
*******s just leave them alone.

Encore
24-08-09, 22:55
People will just use another torrent site lol.

Exactly. :rolleyes: I thought they had learned something from the Napster situation!

Nannonxyay
24-08-09, 23:27
I'm pretty sure there are a gazzillion other torrent sites which people will use instead. It's pointless if you ask me. Let the pirates be pirates. Wasn't it prooved that most people who download music from torrents are actually quite likely to buy the music anyways?

pneboy
24-08-09, 23:50
all i can say is
INNOCENT

Azerutan
25-08-09, 00:08
Wasn't it prooved that most people who download music from torrents are actually quite likely to buy the music anyways?
Doubt it :vlol: Only a fool would buy a album when they had already listenned to it. It's pretty useless unless you're a CD colector of course :)

Paddy
25-08-09, 00:10
Doubt it :vlol: Only a fool would buy a album when they had already listenned to it. It's pretty useless unless you're a CD colector of course :) Or people can listen to the album multiple times.

Catracoth
25-08-09, 00:15
Heh, the Pirate Bay is what my cousin uses to download games for his modded Wii. I suppose if this falls through, he'll have to find an alternate source of obtaining them.

Paddy
25-08-09, 00:17
Heh, the Pirate Bay is what my cousin uses to download games for his modded Wii. I suppose if this falls through, he'll have to find an alternate source of obtaining them.

Wont be hard, as many stated theres almost limitless torrents lol.
As for downloading albums then buying them being pointless?
I disagree with the person who said that, no point buying an album for me personally if I dont end up liking it.

Catracoth
25-08-09, 00:19
Honestly though, shutting down the Pirate Bay would be as pointless as shutting down Limewire. There are numerous other sources and there always will be--people realized that long ago, which is why Limewire still exists. And what's Sweden got against PB anyway? They probably just want something to complain about--you don't see anyone else complaining, do you?

Ward Dragon
25-08-09, 00:27
And what's Sweden got against PB anyway? They probably just want something to complain about--you don't see anyone else complaining, do you?

Actually when the verdict for the copyright infringement trial was announced, there were rumors that the US government had pressured Sweden into going after Pirate Bay due to the effects piracy was having on the US economy (or something to that effect).

In any case, I expect this is mainly a symbolic gesture to show that piracy is still considered illegal even in Sweden. They probably won't stop any hardcore pirates, but they may discourage casual downloaders who figured there wasn't anything wrong with it otherwise the government would have done something by now.

Catracoth
25-08-09, 00:32
Actually when the verdict for the copyright infringement trial was announced, there were rumors that the US government had pressured Sweden into going after Pirate Bay due to the effects piracy was having on the US economy (or something to that effect).

In any case, I expect this is mainly a symbolic gesture to show that piracy is still considered illegal even in Sweden. They probably won't stop any hardcore pirates, but they may discourage casual downloaders who figured there wasn't anything wrong with it otherwise the government would have done something by now.

That makes sense to me, but even still, they won't be doing much of a crackdown on piracy because like it's been said before, there's always one of the other numerous torrent sites that are still up and active, and there will always be more of them and more ways of obtaining what you wish.

Ward Dragon
25-08-09, 00:33
That makes sense to me, but even still, they won't be doing much of a crackdown on piracy because like it's been said before, there's always one of the other numerous torrent sites that are still up and active, and there will always be more of them and more ways of obtaining what you wish.

True, but if they stop trying then it's like making piracy legal which won't go over well with the entertainment industry :whi:

Lost_Soul
25-08-09, 00:34
Damn :(
Ah well, I know 2 more good ones. Still, I liked TPB.

Angelus
25-08-09, 00:34
The Pirate Bay is one of many torrent sites... I've never even used TPB.

Catracoth
25-08-09, 00:36
True, but if they stop trying then it's like making piracy legal which won't go over well with the entertainment industry :whi:

Very much true. At least they're making an effort for consumerism's sake, but they won't make much progress. I think everyone knows that, even the entertainment industry.

Drone
25-08-09, 04:18
The people are the smart creatures, they will use something else. All those endless RIAAs, lars ulrichs and others cannot stop them

Johnnay
25-08-09, 05:26
if you publicially say your downloading a illegal torrent here in TRF, what would happen( Mods, lol)

( and no im not doing one)

SamReeves
25-08-09, 06:02
The people are the smart creatures, they will use something else. All those endless RIAAs, lars ulrichs and others cannot stop them

LMAO! Funny you should bring up Lars, probably the most unpopular drummer ever. I think he's the idiot who pretty much helped to destroy Metallica.

Drone
25-08-09, 06:08
LMAO! Funny you should bring up Lars, probably the most unpopular drummer ever. I think he's the idiot who pretty much helped to destroy Metallica.

hehe there are idiots everywhere. Sometimes we kick their butts, sometimes we just chew our pop corn. The trouble is when the idiots try to mess with people's rights, this is unbearable.

rowanlim
25-08-09, 06:33
I guess since the verdict is guilty, this is just the follow up.

Punaxe
25-08-09, 11:13
Doubt it :vlol: Only a fool would buy a album when they had already listenned to it. It's pretty useless unless you're a CD colector of course :)

Actually I recall reading a report that did say that. There are many reasons to buy a CD... Are you saying you only buy a CD if you haven't listened to it yet? That seems foolish to me. :p

stranger1992
25-08-09, 11:21
I still buy CD's. Actually, i've been burning all my Digital Downloads from Itunes/7 Digitial to Cd's because I like having something physical, in my hand. (that sounds SO wrong!!!).

KIKO
25-08-09, 12:34

You certanly cannot compare the quality of a CD to the quality of a compressed music file ;) That's why buying CD's is better.

TRfan23
25-08-09, 12:34

If you think about it, even within the government some MP's have most likely downloaded torrents ;) So they're more or less likely pretending to stop piracy?

You certanly cannot compare the quality of a CD to the quality of a compressed music file ;) That's why buying CD's is better.

That's very true actually. Only proper CD's in a shop in itself has the best quality music you can ever get your hands on ;)

Dina_Croft
25-08-09, 13:42
Oh Man...PirateBay is the best site...why?why?No matter what they'll do the black internet is here to stay!!!!

tombofwinston
25-08-09, 13:51
Not much point in the court wasting its time.
People will just go to Mininova or another torrent site.

Chocola teapot
25-08-09, 15:37
Oh well.

Drone
26-08-09, 07:03
tpb are now sending tshirts to their enemies lol

jamieoliver22
26-08-09, 07:59
TPB was a good torrent site, and has made itself much more popular because of the media. And there are much better and safer ways of downloading things though...

Anyone fancy downloading a copy of TPB? http://torrentfreak.com/download-a-copy-of-the-pirate-bay-before-its-gone-090816/

Drone
26-08-09, 09:10
TPB is alive anyway.

The Pirate Bay site was up again on Monday with the help of a new ISP, according to Peter Sunde, the former spokesman for The Pirate Bay and one of the main men behind the site, so the outage resulting from Black Internet's disconnection only lasted for a few hours.

The reason that many users still aren't able to access The Pirate Bay is "because your ISP has a sucky DNS. Use OpenDNS instead," Sunde said in a Twitter message on Monday. "Also, TPB has issues for some people because of old routes. It will fix itself," he later added.

at the same time:

Customers that get their Internet access from Black Internet were experiencing outages on Tuesday morning. The reason was sabotage against its infrastructure, according to the ISP.

lol what comes around goes around

NemesisxAngelus
26-08-09, 09:47
Anyone fancy downloading a copy of TPB? http://torrentfreak.com/download-a-copy-of-the-pirate-bay-before-its-gone-090816/
Oh wow. I always prefered BTJunkie and Demonoid far over The Pirate Bay.

TPB is alive anyway.

Not where I live.

Paddy
26-08-09, 09:48
Its still up where I am.

jamieoliver22
26-08-09, 10:08
Oh wow. I always prefered BTJunkie and Demonoid far over The Pirate Bay.

I have a Demonoid account and use it occasionally, it's pretty good.

Not where I live.

And yeah, it all depends on where you live as some ISP have blocked it I believe.

Johnnay
26-08-09, 10:12

And yeah, it all depends on where you live as some ISP have blocked it I believe.

I have a demonoid account and I hardly use it:)

Does anyone dare me to say the P word to bypass ISP's

NemesisxAngelus
26-08-09, 10:31

I experienced The Pirate Bay always as slow due the lack of seeders while Demonoid never let me down in any way.

The Pirate Bay was shut down here after some foundation - literally translated - "Foundation Brain" took The Pirate Bay to court and they even won, eventually.

mike-d
26-08-09, 10:47
The Pirate Bay isn't breaking any laws technically. The people who post torrents with illegal contents on that site are the ones who are breaking the law. And the people who are downloading that stuff. The Pirate Bay states somewhere that you are responsible for the stuff that you share and the stuff that you download. TPB cannot maintain all the torrents posted and check for illegal content. They warn you that you are breaking the law if you download or share any illegal content. I really think they have no right to shut it down.

Drone
26-08-09, 11:06
The Pirate Bay isn't breaking any laws technically. The people who post torrents with illegal contents on that site are the ones who are breaking the law. And the people who are downloading that stuff. The Pirate Bay states somewhere that you are responsible for the stuff that you share and the stuff that you download. TPB cannot maintain all the torrents posted and check for illegal content. They warn you that you are breaking the law if you download or share any illegal content. I really think they have no right to shut it down.

right, it's the same as if you try to shut entire Net down. There are legal and illegal stuff in the web. This will turn this world to China where even search engines are not allowed.

Punaxe
26-08-09, 11:30
I experienced The Pirate Bay always as slow due the lack of seeders while Demonoid never let me down in any way.

The Pirate Bay was shut down here after some foundation - literally translated - "Foundation Brain" took The Pirate Bay to court and they even won, eventually.

It's being appealed though, it's not been properly looked into because TPB didn't show up on the initial trial. I thought at least until after the results of the appeal, nothing was going to change. What's your ISP? It works for me (KPN Planet).

NemesisxAngelus
26-08-09, 17:14
It's being appealed though, it's not been properly looked into because TPB didn't show up on the initial trial. I thought at least until after the results of the appeal, nothing was going to change. What's your ISP? It works for me (KPN Planet).

They didn't show up on the initial trial? Wow I must have missed that part because I always read they just simply lost to them.

My ISP is Telfort I believe, used to be Tiscali in the past. All I can say, I'm not pleased at all with their service *cough* time out of 30 seconds of inactivism *cough*. But on the other hand, as long I have some internet going on I'm pleased.

Cochrane
26-08-09, 17:17

However, they don't remove a torrent even after they have been told it is illegal, and the categories on their main site clearly imply that they don't really care all that much about piracy. I think it's obvious that The Pirate Bay is explicitly made to simplify copyright violations, and apparently the swedish court agreed. They can't pretend otherwise, no matter how many clauses they bury in their EULA.

Nenya awakens
26-08-09, 17:23
I must admit i download the odd film or album, but i've never uploaded anything and once i've watched a film it's then deleted and i'll buy it on dvd.

I know that doesnt make it right or anything but..

tranniversary119
26-08-09, 17:35
There's quite a lot of people who download torrent's actually. I once downloaded a game just to see if it would work on my computer, since there was no demo. It worked, I bought the game. But there's so many other torrent site's, the pirate bay just happens to be the most popular one.

Dina_Croft
26-08-09, 20:00
Everything I have in my pc is dowloaded from Pirate Bay...lool...TPB is the best torrent site...

Punaxe
26-08-09, 20:02
They didn't show up on the initial trial? Wow I must have missed that part because I always read they just simply lost to them.

My ISP is Telfort I believe, used to be Tiscali in the past. All I can say, I'm not pleased at all with their service *cough* time out of 30 seconds of inactivism *cough*. But on the other hand, as long I have some internet going on I'm pleased.

Yeah, they say they never received the invitation. Because TPB wasn't present, the judge didn't actually deal with the content of the case and just went with what Stichting BREIN said. Which I think is pretty weird... But anyway, TPB has appealed so it'll be properly dealt with soon I hope.

Drone
26-08-09, 20:06
TPB is cool because you can download without reg.

jamieoliver22
26-08-09, 20:16
There's quite a lot of people who download torrent's actually.

Not all torrents are illegal, many companies use them as a way of supplying large downloads without the need of paying for servers to host them.

Ward Dragon
26-08-09, 23:23
However, they don't remove a torrent even after they have been told it is illegal, and the categories on their main site clearly imply that they don't really care all that much about piracy. I think it's obvious that The Pirate Bay is explicitly made to simplify copyright violations, and apparently the swedish court agreed. They can't pretend otherwise, no matter how many clauses they bury in their EULA.

That's pretty much my impression on it. The court ruled against The Pirate Bay because it was clear that they encouraged their site to be used for piracy, therefore their intent was to help people break the law even if they never uploaded anything themselves.