PDA

View Full Version : BBFC Calssifications rendered useless for 3 months...

Spong
25-08-09, 12:28
Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8219438.stm)

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has had all of its video certificates rendered untenable for three months due to an administrative blunder when the law was first implemented back in 1984. It seems the government failed to inform the European Commission of the law's implementation and, as a result, the certificates (U, PG, 12A, 12, 15, 18 & R18) are all meaningless for three months until the error is resolved.

That essentially means that any media sporting a BBFC certificate are not currently bound by it. So, any of you kids wanting to see that gory horror movie or play that ultra-violent video game, you legally can for the time being. Of course that's at the vendor's discretion, you can still be turned away in a shop. But there's currently no law stopping HMV (for example) selling an 18 rated movie to a 5 year-old.

EDIT
Damn it! I misspelled the title of this thread :mad::hea:

Catracoth
25-08-09, 12:31
Oh Jesus. In America, they try to crackdown on this sort of thing 24/7, especially with video games.

disneyprincess20
25-08-09, 12:34
Spong: Try this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8219438.stm).

I was a little shocked, and laughed a bit at this. Now I see it's a bit more serious than that.

Spong
25-08-09, 12:35
Spong: Try this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8219438.stm).

I was a little shocked, and laughed a bit at this. Now I see it's a bit more serious than that.

Thanks for that ;)
I'd checked the BBC site while I was making the OP. That story can only have been added in the last few minutes. But cheers for the link, duly added :)

disneyprincess20
25-08-09, 12:40
Really? I read that when I got into work this morning! Had to dive into my history to get the link... Oh well...

Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for those who has bee prosecuted under this law, because they've already been told there will be no recompense. Basically they've been prosecuted by a false law and can't change it.

Spong
25-08-09, 12:44
Really? I read that when I got into work this morning! Had to dive into my history to get the link... Oh well...

I did every kind of search imaginable at the BBC site. Clearly it wasn't enough though :o

Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for those who has bee prosecuted under this law, because they've already been told there will be no recompense. Basically they've been prosecuted by a false law and can't change it.

That's very true, I feel sorry that they've got to stew in it while dozens of pending cases have been dropped completely before they get to court.

Trigger_happy
25-08-09, 15:55
Is there even any point trying to reinstate the law for video games? The BBFC is being over ridden by the PEGI system or whatever of Europe. Just reinstate it for DVD's etc and let the games one come in when it does.

Jo269976
25-08-09, 16:20
Quick everyone, let's make a snuff movie!

Trigger_happy
25-08-09, 16:21

And then sell it to eager children! I smell a fortune!

woody543
25-08-09, 16:55

Im fairly certain murder is still illegal....

Trigger_happy
25-08-09, 17:02

Only if they find out. Its amazing how powerful kitchen appliances are nowadays...

Jo269976
25-08-09, 17:03

We can always say it's fake :pi:

TombRaiderLover
25-08-09, 20:13
Haha, that's brilliant. I hate being refused DVDs. :pi: Interesting how this occurs so soon after the BBFC banned a Japanese horror film called Grotesque.

viper456
25-08-09, 20:35
I'm still not selling 12 year olds GTA. Soz. Denied.

Tonyrobinson
26-08-09, 00:58
I'd be excited for this if I could already get to see or buy any ratings I wasn't meant to :p

Chocola teapot
26-08-09, 00:59
Win for me.

Minty Mouth
26-08-09, 01:01
This probably wont change anything. In my area at least, the shops are pretty strict about this kind of thing, and i admire that in a store employe :p

I suspect that even without the law to answer to, they wont be selling 18 DVD's to minors.