PDA

View Full Version : Repent you British thief!

Eddie Haskell
25-08-09, 19:32
That is you illegal downloader (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090825/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_downloading)...

Catracoth
25-08-09, 19:34
http://i27.************/21mrton.jpg

Sucks for England--although I do pray this doesn't happen in America. I hate having to buy music.

Mad Tony
25-08-09, 19:39
It says "repeat offenders". By repeat offenders they most likely mean people who download hundreds of torrents a day. It doesn't really mean much but hey, we're defying the EU so I'm happy. :tmb: :D

Cochrane
25-08-09, 19:44
It says "repeat offenders". By repeat offenders they most likely mean people who download hundreds of torrents a day. It doesn't really mean much but hey, we're defying the EU so I'm happy. :tmb: :D

If they copy the french proposal, then they will cut off your internet access after three reports of violations. Notice that it is reports of violations, there is no need for any judge to look into it, and it is handled by a semi-private organization. It will also be illegal for anyone to give you a new internet access for the next six months. Your options of appealing such a ruling are limited, so even if it was someone who hacked into your WLAN, or just incorrect data, you'd still end up without things like E-mail or access to government and/or university websites (which, depending on your courses, you may actually have to use to pass) for half a year.

I don't want to say that it's stupid to support this just because it defies the EU, but I certainly do not mind implying it.

Mad Tony
25-08-09, 19:49
To be honest I don't actually care about it that much, the fact that it defies the EU is just a good thing about it I guess.

Minty Mouth
25-08-09, 19:52
How many times have we heard stuff like this? Nothing will change, Pirates wont care. Its been attempted to stop pirate downloading before, and it didnt work, its not going to work this time either.

Anyway, there are always ways to hide exactly what you are downloading.

Larapink
25-08-09, 20:02
There is nothing wrong with being British; I am British! ;)

Also this is a good thing that the government are setting up to make sure all of this pirating nonsense stops!

Catracoth
25-08-09, 20:03

Who said there was anything wrong with the British?

Larapink
25-08-09, 20:05
Who said there was anything wrong with the British?
You're all over my case today aren't you. ;)

Mad Tony
25-08-09, 20:05

Also this is a good thing that the government are setting up to make sure all of this pirating nonsense stops!Umm, the OP never said there was anything wrong with British. I'm British and I didn't find anything offensive in that.

This wont stop piracy either though.

Catracoth
25-08-09, 20:06
You're all over my case today aren't you. ;)

No...I just asked a simple question. If by asking two questions to you is getting all over your case, well then call me a curious detective, :rolleyes:.

Angelus
25-08-09, 20:20
No...I just asked a simple question. If by asking two questions to you is getting all over your case, well then call me a curious detective, :rolleyes:.

Don't worry, she rarely makes sense.

Super Badnik
25-08-09, 20:29
Luckily i don't bother with all that. But if they know who these repeat offenders are, shouldn't they, you know, be prosecuted or something?

tombraiderluka
25-08-09, 20:31
Actually I like this news. People in the UK get everything right away and if not right away they still get movies, games and stuff. Here for example in Serbia, everything is 5 months late or it never is released :(

Cochrane
25-08-09, 20:33
Luckily i don't bother with all that. But if they know who these repeat offenders are, shouldn't they, you know, be prosecuted or something?

That would require things like evidence, lawyers, time and money. With this proposal, all you need is some suspicion, and the rest is handled automatically.

Super Badnik
25-08-09, 20:41
That would require things like evidence, lawyers, time and money. With this proposal, all you need is some suspicion, and the rest is handled automatically.Not sure how this works, but i would have thought they would need some evidence and proof before they went around cutting people's internet off.

Cochrane
25-08-09, 20:46
Not sure how this works, but i would have thought they would need some evidence and proof before they went around cutting people's internet off.

Wouldn't that be great? The way it is supposed to work in France (the french supreme court has invalidated the first law before it became effective, so they are making a new one) is that the rights owners, for example studios, find out the IP adress of someone who is sharing files (usually by offering bait files for download, a system that has been proven fallible in the past) and then transfers that to Hadopi, an organization that then asks the ISPs who used this adress at that time and orders the ISP to send a warning notice and/or shut down the internet access. I'm not sure if it is possible to appeal to a decision reached by Hadopi, but the legal options are certainly less than in a real court.

pneboy
25-08-09, 20:53
they tried this last year and it got voted against
hopefully it will happen again and the goverment will leave us alone
we cant go anywhere without being on camera except out homes
now our homes are under threat from invasion aswell from the nosey goverment

Minty Mouth
25-08-09, 20:54
If they want to stop piracy, theyre going to have to go for the uploaders, not the Downloaders. I dont know how feesible that is, but cut out the root, and you cut out the weed.

ggctuk
25-08-09, 20:54
There wouldn't be a piracy problem as large as this if they didn't sell this stuff at such high prices. While I agree that piracy is wrong, I can see some of the reasons why people resort to it.

This law would possibly breach human rights laws in this country as well.

Mad Tony
25-08-09, 21:06
Actually I like this news. People in the UK get everything right away and if not right away they still get movies, games and stuff. Here for example in Serbia, everything is 5 months late or it never is released :(Lol. The very large majority of games are released in North America, Australia and Japan (sometimes) before they're released here. Most movies are too.

Minty Mouth
25-08-09, 21:08
Lol. The very large majority of games are released in North America, Australia and Japan (sometimes) before they're released here. Most movies are too.

I think Australia gets an even shorter end of the stick than us with this one.

Mad Tony
25-08-09, 21:16
I think Australia gets an even shorter end of the stick than us with this one.Oh I doubt that. If you'll look most games and movies are released there a day or two earlier. Don't even get me started on soft drinks and snacks. They're always released in Australia first because they use it as a test market.

Minty Mouth
25-08-09, 21:17
Oh I doubt that. If you'll look most games and movies are released there a day or two early.

I always heard complaints from Australians that Games were being released later there, I guess it was just a few isolated incidents.

Super Badnik
25-08-09, 22:17
If they want to stop piracy, theyre going to have to go for the uploaders, not the Downloaders. I dont know how feesible that is, but cut out the root, and you cut out the weed.Agreed.

irjudd
25-08-09, 22:56
Didn't this already take place in the US? Copyright holders are able to contact the ISP of suspected thieves and do tend to pressure that ISP to take some sort of action.

I actually know a couple people who had their ISP account suspended permanently because an NBC rep contacted their ISP because they were downloading episodes of The Office.

just croft
25-08-09, 23:03
Lol. The very large majority of games are released in North America, Australia and Japan (sometimes) before they're released here. Most movies are too.

Well then consider yourself lucky to be 4th in line...

After those 4 countries all others rarely get anything sooner or at the same time.

Melonie Tomb Raider
25-08-09, 23:13
I buy all my music anyway, so I'm not worried. No pirating going on here. :wve:

Mad Tony
25-08-09, 23:13
Well then consider yourself lucky to be 4th in line...

After those 4 countries all others rarely get anything sooner or at the same time.That's rather ignorant and presumptuous of you to assume that I'm totally oblivious to the world around me, don't you think?

Chocola teapot
25-08-09, 23:20
Oh... YAY!... meh.

just croft
25-08-09, 23:23
That's rather ignorant and presumptuous of you to assume that I'm totally oblivious to the world around me, don't you think?

Not at all. :wve:

I never used the expression "totally oblivious" and I'm just pointing out the fact that the first thing you do when someone says the UK get's films, games and such sooner than other contries is laugh becuase the US, Australia and Japan get it even earlier. - Poor you.

Mad Tony
25-08-09, 23:29
I never used the expression "totally oblivious" and I'm just pointing out the fact that the first thing you do when someone says the UK get's films, games and such sooner than other contries is laugh becuase the US, Australia and Japan get it even earlier. - Poor you.Why poor me lol? :wve:

Dennis's Mom
26-08-09, 14:20
I'm from the "old school" that thinks you should pay for things, and if you can't afford it, then you don't get it, and you certainly don't steal it.

Chocola teapot
26-08-09, 14:29
Oh well.