PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother AXED!

Jack Croft
26-08-09, 08:34
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/big_brother/2606816/Big-Brother-is-axed-as-C4-faces-reality-that-it-is-boring.html
Finally the day has come!

BIG Brother is to be scrapped by Channel 4 after this year's ratings disaster, The Sun can reveal.

The axe comes as barely two million tune into the tenth series of the reality show - compared to eight million only a few years ago.

LaraRules81
26-08-09, 09:35
:yah:

TRhalloween
26-08-09, 09:36
Hahahaha :mis:

:yah:

Paddy
26-08-09, 09:36
Haha it was axed in Aus last year too :D
Best thing for tv, get rid of that garbage.

StewartyMac
26-08-09, 09:38
The first one was genuinely innovative television, but the entire concept of the show failed after this, due to everyone subsequently knowing what to expect, and it soon turned into a vulgar depiction of shameless self promotion.

And anything presented by that horrible cretin, McCall, should have been punted years ago.

I won't miss it, that's for sure.

adventurerLara
26-08-09, 09:39
Finally, I think it has far outstayed its welcome already. Another pointless reality TV show.

Archetype
26-08-09, 09:43
Dreams do come true.

Paddy
26-08-09, 09:44
Now hopefully Australian Idol follows after this season.
I hate that show also.

Ilie_Fusarau
26-08-09, 09:45
Finally, I think it has far outstayed its welcome already. Another pointless reality TV show.
:tmb:

woody543
26-08-09, 10:12
old news, we allready had a thread before this series where davina was quoted saying the series after this would be the last, its obviously a planned axe.

Johnnay
26-08-09, 10:17
Haha it was axed in Aus last year too :D
Best thing for tv, get rid of that garbage.

Lol remember that refugee stunt with one of the contensant when he got evicted that night:D

Spong
26-08-09, 10:30
****ing YES!!!!

:yah::jmp:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Rivendell
26-08-09, 10:32
Apparently it's to be axed in a YEAR, after the *11th* series. We're only on the 10th.

Spong
26-08-09, 10:33
Apparently it's to be axed in a YEAR, after the *11th* series. We're only on the 10th.

Ah well. But still, it's going, and that's the main thing.

Jack Croft
26-08-09, 10:33

Didnt it say if they find a publisher or channel. It was not very clear.

EDIT: Ah i see 11th last C4 series.

scion05
26-08-09, 10:44
Which HAS been the plan all along, and we'll also most likely be getting a celebrity big brother aswell :)

Atlantisfreak666
26-08-09, 10:58
Thank god.

Angelus
26-08-09, 11:41
It's still got another series left... I hope it can redeem itself next year.

touchthesky
26-08-09, 11:42
Was it not meant to be axed last year as well?

Fingers crossed they keep it off our screens though. Even if you don't watch it you can barely escape it.

Reggie
26-08-09, 11:43
I saw it coming. By dumbing the show down and aiming it toward the chav population (just watch an episode of Big Mouth/Little Brother) and treating it like a Jeremy Kyle style freakshow parade, they slowly alienated the viewers more and more and it became more and more irrelevent. I'm convinced they've been looking for every excuse to kill the format off ever since the Shilpa/Jade racism incident.

Rai
26-08-09, 11:47
Wasn't this planned for next year (as said) or have they decided to axe it early?

Either way, it's great it's going. Should have finished years ago.

Spong
26-08-09, 11:47
Fingers crossed they keep it off our screens though. Even if you don't watch it you can barely escape it.

Surprisingly, I've done a good job of avoiding it this year, but that in part is down to the media's lack of interest too. E4 is still unwatchable after a certain time though, they still think that watching the most uninteresting people in the world sleeping is good viewing. Then again, it's only replacing re-runs of Friends.

Chocola teapot
26-08-09, 11:52
Yay. Not like I care.

marla_biggs
26-08-09, 11:58
i've actually really enjoyed this series, i don't understand what's been so boring about it? :confused:

i just think people are sick of it year after year, the show's run it's course with the general public.

still, it's gonna be sad once it goes though, i can't imagine summer without it. T_T

TRhalloween
26-08-09, 12:14
So next year is the last ... but then they're going to show it on another channel?

Spong
26-08-09, 12:15
So next year is the last ... but then they're going to show it on another channel?

I hope not.

Angelus
26-08-09, 12:19

I really hope not... :o

marla_biggs
26-08-09, 12:19
i hope it doesn't get picked up by another channel

let it rest for a few years xx

Lee croft
26-08-09, 12:20
Would you like me to go in it next year and spice things up a little i'll be 18 by then so i'll be able to go in Big Brother XD

LightningRider
26-08-09, 12:28
Would you like me to go in it next year and spice things up a little i'll be 18 by then so i'll be able to go in Big Brother XD

Hell, I'd watch! :tea:

Glad that it's gone though, the first was good but it eventually became self promoting yourself the last few years. :o

Explorer
26-08-09, 12:57
I like the theme tune and it is an interesting exercise in seeing how normal people can behave among one another, but otherwise I dislike the programme, so not a bad thing :wve:

The version that appeared in a Doctor Who episode though was interesting ;)

Lemmie
26-08-09, 13:13
Well, when the source is the Sun, who knows what is true.

But I'm very happy to hear this. Loads of timeslots for quality programming!

Nannonxyay
26-08-09, 13:14
I actually have found this year's series rather interesting. The housemates have been entertaining. But I guesse it's time the show came to an end. :)

xx_Hunt_xx
26-08-09, 13:15

Then the show would turn into a Brit fest or Brooke fest! :ton:

Spong
26-08-09, 13:15
Well, when the source is the Sun, who knows what is true.

It's been announced on BBC News24 and their website (here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8221995.stm)) as well, so I guess that's as official as it gets. Shame we've got to put up with another season of it though.

Lee croft
26-08-09, 13:17

:p :vlol:

Nannonxyay
26-08-09, 13:24
Lee would be the best housemate ever. I would totally vote for him to win.

Super Badnik
26-08-09, 13:25
There is a God. :yah:

Spong
26-08-09, 13:26

Giving us people who hate the show even more reason to hate it :p

TR love
26-08-09, 13:30
......http://i31.************/n2cs5k.jpg

Nenya awakens
26-08-09, 13:34
To be honest i've only watched a couple of episodes this year, i found it quite amusing but it's not something i wanted to watch religously.

I dont really mind if it goes off the air, frees up space for something new.

x...justme...x
26-08-09, 14:06
Finally!! :D
I didn't bother watching it this year, neither did any of my friends.

Lemmie
26-08-09, 14:09
It's been announced on BBC News24 and their website (here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8221995.stm)) as well, so I guess that's as official as it gets. Shame we've got to put up with another season of it though.

Oh good, a credible source. Thanks. :)

When you say another season, do you mean the one that's currently airing or one next year? o.0

lita212
26-08-09, 14:10
old news, we allready had a thread before this series where davina was quoted saying the series after this would be the last, its obviously a planned axe.

yep it was me that posted it lol. also people are forgetting it may be axed but who knows what will happen after next years bb as there still doing a big brother in 2010 and if that does well whos to say it will get axed?

ShadyCroft
26-08-09, 14:16
Nice ! :D Now an empty slot for a new good-quality show.

How about picking up Eli Stone ?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_janeCwd_wOI/SlrbTBbekdI/AAAAAAAAHpI/_DYQ1cmfj6w/s400/eli-stone.jpg

Lee croft
26-08-09, 14:21
Lee would be the best housemate ever. I would totally vote for him to win.

:vlol: made me laugh but vote for me to win ..thought id get that in for a years advance!! :pi: :p XD should i try getting in next year?

Spong
26-08-09, 14:28
When you say another season, do you mean the one that's currently airing or one next year? o.0

There will be another series of it next year (unfortunately).
As far as the "planned axe" goes, that's Channel 4 trying to save face in the wake of the massive drop in popularity as far I'm concerned.

Minty Mouth
26-08-09, 15:12
Has the news changed at all since the last time this was posted? As far as I can remember it has been planned for cancellation for a while now.

Mad Tony
26-08-09, 15:23
So pleased when I read this this morning :D

Changeling
26-08-09, 15:34
If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I'm not thrilled that it's being axed, but I'm not depressed about it either.

TRhalloween
26-08-09, 15:36
If you don't like it, don't watch it[...]

There could be better stuff showing instead of BB. It's an hour out of every night.

TombRaiderCool
26-08-09, 16:05
To be honest I couldn't care less, I don't like it so I don't watch it. I never saw what all the fuss was about with this show, it didn't really tickle my fancy the first time I watched it.

Changeling
26-08-09, 16:10
There could be better stuff showing instead of BB. It's an hour out of every night.

Yeah, but usually the 9-10 o' clock slot isn't filled with anything spellbinding when Big Brother isn't on, apart from Ugly Betty on Fridays (now Wednesdays), but that gets aired after Big Brother now anyway.

RAID
26-08-09, 16:20
:tmb:
Couldn't agree more.

Nannonxyay
26-08-09, 17:02
Yeah, but usually the 9-10 o' clock slot isn't filled with anything spellbinding when Big Brother isn't on, apart from Ugly Betty on Fridays (now Wednesdays), but that gets aired after Big Brother now anyway.

Agreed. Channel 4 doesn't excactly show amazing shows anyway.

Eleana
26-08-09, 17:13
I don't watch big brother much to the disgust of my work friends, but isn't 2 million still an awful lot of viewers?

TR FAN 18
26-08-09, 17:31
2 million is a crap figure. It does sound like a lot but when you think about what the population of the UK is (about 60M) then that figure is VERY low. I'm so happy to see C4 finally getting this rubbish off our screens! :yah:

Now if ITV can get rid of "I'm a Celebrity..." and any other crappy reality shows that exist on that channel, I'll be ECSTATIC!

Tonyrobinson
26-08-09, 17:34
Well as much as I loved Big Brother I think I've watched it 3 times this year. So I don't think I'll miss it go :p

Cloe Christina
26-08-09, 17:37
YAAAAAAAAY ...... that is such fantastic news ....
they should just axe it altogether ...... they better not show it on E4 then ....

Anne Boleyn
26-08-09, 17:52
Don't watch it, don't see the appeal. :)

I did find the televised statement from Channel 4's chief hilarious though. He said something along the lines of, 'We are ending Big Brother because we feel that, in 10 years, we have pushed the concept as far as it can go. Channel 4 has always been on the cutting edge of television and we are keen to encourage new and different programming'.

In other words, no one cares about this pap anymore so we're losing money and can't think of anymore ways to publically humiliate people. If it was still raking it in, Channel 4 would no more be interested in making 'new and different' programmes than they would be in reviving Anthea Turner's career.

tombofwinston
26-08-09, 18:03
Whooooo !!!!
God Answered My Prayers :p .
Anyway Who even Watches Big Brother Live.
Its a bit Pervy Watching People Sleep.

Tonyrobinson
26-08-09, 18:07
Whooooo !!!!

No comment :cln::cln::cln:

No funny enough I watched it live the other night because nothing else was on and found it funny. Sophia and Rodrigo where pretending to be dogs. Such big children :ton:

DragonSlayer
27-08-09, 18:24
Whooooo !!!!

Not to mention incredibly boring i once timed it just to see how long it would take them to turn over 20 minutes went by, watching paint dry is more fun.

About bloody time they should have pulled the plug on big brother years ago had big brother continued it wouldn't have been long before they gave us big brother bottom of the sea edition.

The only time Big Brother was good was in that show in which everyone turned into zombies but the inmates in the bb house knew nothing about it i can't remember what it was called.

BB has been on life support dying a slow painful death since that Jade Goody rascism row on celebrity BB

Spong
27-08-09, 18:42
The only time Big Brother was good was in that show in which everyone turned into zombies but the inmates in the bb house knew nothing about it i can't remember what it was called.

It was called Dead Set (written by Charlie Brooker) ;)

adventurerLara
27-08-09, 19:22
No funny enough I watched it live the other night because nothing else was on and found it funny. Sophia and Rodrigo where pretending to be dogs. Such big children :ton:

Sounds like thrilling viewing.

I have yet to figure out what interests people in this show?