PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: Code Z

TRLEChippers
26-08-09, 15:06
Hi :wve:

I am currently making a project on the Level Editor. It will be my first one and will encompass about 6 or 7 short levels. :jmp:

STORY
Lara wakes up one day to find out that a plague has ravaged all of England turning the people into mindless zombies. She is in London at the moment and discovers that survivors are being evacuated to the south coast. After finding a safe-room in the London Underground with weapons and supplies, she is ready to go out and get to safety…

SCREENS
Level 1: Central London (Work in progress!)
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/605/screen4aki.png
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6541/screen3iev.png
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5663/screen2tnw.png
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3908/screen1psa.png
Level 2: London Marina (Work in progress!)
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1417/marina2o.png
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6097/marina1.png

PROGRESS
I am about halfway through the first level, which is set in London on the streets, a bridge and the Underground. The second level is 20 percent done and is set in a wharf, business and shopping-type area.I have just started level 3 (woodland). Feedback would be appreciated on the screenshots! :D

mudkip25
26-08-09, 19:48
Nice, but you have a squished texture on the first screen and the textures in my opinion d0ny go together at all. try one set if textures per building. lighting needs some work too.

BTW Lara doesnt find safety, she fights!!! Plus, the story you have doesn't mention how the plague came to be, How Lara and others survived and why a convenient place filled with weapons is there. sorry, I just think that your story has plot holes.

Good Luck Though! :)

larafan25
26-08-09, 19:57
Nice, but you have a squished texture on the first screen and the textures in my opinion d0ny go together at all. try one set if textures per building. lighting needs some work too.

BTW Lara doesnt find safety, she fights!!! Plus, the story you have doesn't mention how the plague came to be, How Lara and others survived and why a convenient place filled with weapons is there. sorry, I just think that your story has plot holes.

Good Luck Though! :)

lara can find safety, she is smart, therefor brains before bronz.......

and most the things you mentioned are not plot holes just things to pick at.......I see othing wrong with a story you created yourself:)

all I recomend is making the outdoor and indoor areas darker and more colour to the lighting, and don't repeat textures too much, and add closure to the outdoor area in the first screen, maybe some taller buildings in the background:)

tomblover
26-08-09, 20:03
Nice screens. :tmb:

And nicely L4D-inspired, me likey. :jmp:

You even have the Terminal "Pills here!" texture. :vlol:

TRLEChippers
26-08-09, 20:57
Thanks for the comments.

I'll make the lighting a bit better, change the textures and add some more buildings. I'll probably change the horizon as well to a city style one.

About the plot holes, I haven't decided why the plague started, and the survivors probably won't know either (aliens? government conspiracy? Anything's possible!) but they probably have a natural immunity to it. And, Lara doesn't carry her pistols about with her all the time but here she was lucky to find the saferoom with weapons- which were probably left by other survivors. Finally, even though she is a very good fighter, I doubt she would be able to rid the whole of England of a virus...:(

mudkip25
26-08-09, 21:06
Lara's Rich, She'll just nuke the place.

TRLEChippers
27-08-09, 17:41
I've decided that I will have several FMVs to tie up the story in the game, in the style of newsflashes and footage. They will also show what happens to Lara- for example, Lara is picked up by a helicopter- but her rescuer is not all he seems...

tomblover
29-08-09, 14:06
I've decided that I will have several FMVs to tie up the story in the game, in the style of newsflashes and footage. They will also show what happens to Lara- for example, Lara is picked up by a helicopter- but her rescuer is not all he seems... Sounds great. :tmb:

And the helicopter thingy is also L4D-inspired I presume? :jmp:

TRLEChippers
29-08-09, 16:35
Sounds great. :tmb:

And the helicopter thingy is also L4D-inspired I presume? :jmp:

Yup. I'm even using audio from the game which didn't make it in the game itself. (But you can still find it if you poke around the game files). Something along the lines of (spoiler here) "hand me a first aid kit here- I'm getting really cold! I....I....I-" :eek:

EDIT: Forgot to say this earlier but I've put up 2 new screens of the 2nd level, London Marina!! :D

PullingApart
29-08-09, 18:30
I don't think the outfit matches the feel of the level, if lara was down town, she wouldn't really be in her classic shorts and tank top carrying her guns.
I think you should change it to something that makes more sense like maybe horruss_goddesses city outfit.
Or something that make more sense.

And about the plot, I don't really think it matters really, the game is supposed to be the really important part.
Though that's just my opinion.
But I must add as I'm dwelling on the topic of the plot, where exactly was Lara sleeping?

HURLEYstickmen
29-08-09, 18:38
I hope those zombies can be killed with any weapon. If so, thank
goodness.:D Also, it sort of reminds me of The House Of The Dead 2*, where
the entire city is overrun by undead abominations. The levels are looking very
nice, especially with the zombie theme!;)

*:An arcade game, which is also available for PC, Wii and Sega Dreamcast.:)

Kapu
29-08-09, 18:40
I've decided that I will have several FMVs to tie up the story in the game, in the style of newsflashes and footage. They will also show what happens to Lara- for example, Lara is picked up by a helicopter- but her rescuer is not all he seems...

Good quality FMVs tend to be pretty large. As nice as they are they take up a lot of space, and when it comes to downloading some people with slower internet connections (:wve:) may end up waiting ages for your game to download.

I would keep FMVs to a minimum. Take advantage of the engine and use cutscenes in place of some FMVs.

Underworld2008
29-08-09, 18:55
wow i like the sound of this. I'll deffo download when its released. (Y)

TRLEChippers
29-08-09, 18:58
I don't think the outfit matches the feel of the level, if lara was down town, she wouldn't really be in her classic shorts and tank top carrying her guns.
I think you should change it to something that makes more sense like maybe horruss_goddesses city outfit.
Or something that make more sense.

And about the plot, I don't really think it matters really, the game is supposed to be the really important part.
Though that's just my opinion.
But I must add as I'm dwelling on the topic of the plot, where exactly was Lara sleeping?

Thanks, I might try that outfit but for now the classic costume is just a placeholder until the time when I find any other costumes. Still, I might use that one.

About the plot, Lara was sleeping in a London hotel on a visit to a very important medical corporation which "accidentally" released a virus onto the city...

I hope those zombies can be killed with any weapon. If so, thank
goodness. Also, it sort of reminds me of The House Of The Dead 2*, where
the entire city is overrun by undead abominations. The levels are looking very
nice, especially with the zombie theme!

*:An arcade game, which is also available for PC, Wii and Sega Dreamcast.

The zombies are able to be killed with any weapon including pistols. However, it takes about 30 seconds with the trusty dual pistols so I will have only a small amount of zombies but many dead bodies. Thank you for the comments!

Good quality FMVs tend to be pretty large. As nice as they are they take up a lot of space, and when it comes to downloading some people with slower internet connections (:wve:) may end up waiting ages for your game to download.

I would keep FMVs to a minimum. Take advantage of the engine and use cutscenes in place of some FMVs.

Ah. With that I'll probably use just 1 or 2 FMVs and use the one I was intending as a start FMV instead as a trailer, which should be coming soon.

Also, what do you all think of the new screenshots from Level 2?

Peanut
29-08-09, 20:38
Thats not bad actually! But you still need to work on Geometry and Texturing, not to forget lighting.. ;)

tomblover
29-08-09, 20:52
Yup. I'm even using audio from the game which didn't make it in the game itself. (But you can still find it if you poke around the game files). Something along the lines of (spoiler here) "hand me a first aid kit here- I'm getting really cold! I....I....I-" :eek: Lol, I knew that when I read the "he's not like he seems" part. :vlol:

They're gonna expand upon that in an upcoming DLC BTW! :jmp:

TRLEChippers
29-08-09, 21:01
Lol, I knew that when I read the "he's not like he seems" part. :vlol:

They're gonna expand upon that in an upcoming DLC BTW! :jmp:

Oh yeah, the new one called "Crash Course" I think. Read more about it here...http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Crash_Course

Personally I can't wait for it! :jmp:

wow i like the sound of this. I'll deffo download when its released. (Y)

Wow, that's one download already! Didn't think my project would get this popular! :o

Underworld2008
29-08-09, 21:18
i think its a good idea :) I also love Lara's hair. So much better than the Tomb Raider 4 pony tail lmao.

TRLEChippers
30-08-09, 10:25
i think its a good idea :) I also love Lara's hair. So much better than the Tomb Raider 4 pony tail lmao.

Thank you! :D

noonbob
30-08-09, 10:58
Wow!! that looks great, i always loved the city levels. keep up the good work and i hope it all goes well :)

!Lara Croft!
30-08-09, 11:27
Why dont you try out my casual outfit...

Casual Outfit (http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3200)

Or this one which will be released at a later date...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Lara4123/Text8.jpg

TRLEChippers
30-08-09, 11:33
Why dont you try out my casual outfit...

Casual Outfit (http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3200)

Or this one which will be released at a later date...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Lara4123/Text8.jpg

Maybe, but I was thinking of using the Fall Fashion outfit by White Tiger. I might use that one though!

michaeldt
30-08-09, 12:34
if you want to make it scary with zombies, I would say to try and go for a Doom 3 and COD5 Zombies style scary :) and also, it would make it really scary if the zombies can run really fast, faster than Lara! :D

TRLEChippers
30-08-09, 12:50
if you want to make it scary with zombies, I would say to try and go for a Doom 3 and COD5 Zombies style scary :) and also, it would make it really scary if the zombies can run really fast, faster than Lara! :D

I don't think there are any zombies on the Level Editor that run fast. I could try changing the current zombies I have (in the Mummy slot) onto a Baddy 1/2 slot but that is probably not going to work. :(

Also, I am attempting a Left 4 Dead style zombie theme and I'm not really good with horror and scares. The most scary L4D zombie, the Witch, is also unavailable on the TRLE. :hea: I might try a COD5 or Doom 3 type though. I have COD5 on XBox as well as L4D so I could get inspiration from that.

michaeldt
30-08-09, 12:59
all you'd have to do is texture a regular bad guy to look like a Zombie and then place different animations on him, right?

TRLEChippers
30-08-09, 13:06
all you'd have to do is texture a regular bad guy to look like a Zombie and then place different animations on him, right?

Yes, but this can yield poor results and also you have to take into account the meshes. The regular Baddy 1/2 has a turban headmesh so it would be tricky to change it to a zombie head. I'ts probably possible, but beyond my ability. :o

tomblover
31-08-09, 11:14
Oh yeah, the new one called "Crash Course" I think. Read more about it here...http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Crash_Course

Personally I can't wait for it! :jmp: Yeah, I know, it sounds great. :jmp:

It's to be released in September (Just around the corner then, literally! :vlol:) and I can't wait either. :jmp:

EDIT: The scariness of L4D (If that's what you're going for.) lies in the atmosphere. (Sounds, texture, lightning...) And the fact that the normal infected are breakneck ****ing fast. :vlol: Check out the developer commentary, they have some pretty nice explanations of what they were going for with the lightning, texture and so on. :tmb:

TRLEChippers
31-08-09, 11:57
Yeah, I know, it sounds great. :jmp:

It's to be released in September (Just around the corner then, literally! :vlol:) and I can't wait either. :jmp:

EDIT: The scariness of L4D (If that's what you're going for.) lies in the atmosphere. (Sounds, texture, lightning...) And the fact that the normal infected are breakneck ****ing fast. :vlol: Check out the developer commentary, they have some pretty nice explanations of what they were going for with the lightning, texture and so on. :tmb:

Just listened to the commentary and found it was pretty interesting. Hopefully the DLC is coming out in the UK and on the X360. If not...:hea:

Some more news about the game itself. I am going to change the name from Code Z as I don't really like that name. Does anyone have any suggestions for a new one?

mudkip25
31-08-09, 15:18
Just listened to the commentary and found it was pretty interesting. Hopefully the DLC is coming out in the UK and on the X360. If not...:hea:

Some more news about the game itself. I am going to change the name from Code Z as I don't really like that name. Does anyone have any suggestions for a new one?

TR: Zombie Salvation or Deadly Survival???

KurtisandLara
31-08-09, 15:30
Back to the topic of the outfit..(if you havent decided yet..)
http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3125
My suggestion...:o
-
Looks great so far.

TRLEChippers
31-08-09, 16:13
TR: Zombie Salvation or Deadly Survival???

I like the sound of those names! However, I'd better wait to see if anyone has any other names. Still good though!

Back to the topic of the outfit..(if you havent decided yet..)
http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3125
My suggestion...
-
Looks great so far.

Thanks, but I am already using the Fall outfit by White Tiger. Thank you still though!

PullingApart
02-09-09, 02:43
For the name how about fall of humanity or lara 4 dead?lol:p

tomblover
02-09-09, 08:53

The DLC will come out on both 360 and PC, however the 360 players will have to pay 560 MS points (I think it was something along those lines.) while the PC players will get it free. :o (I'm a PC, lucky me. o_O I already wanna save up for the PoP Epilogue.)

Zombies 4 Lara? :D Indicates a kinda badass theme.

TRLEChippers
02-09-09, 17:18
The DLC will come out on both 360 and PC, however the 360 players will have to pay 560 MS points (I think it was something along those lines.) while the PC players will get it free. :o (I'm a PC, lucky me. o_O I already wanna save up for the PoP Epilogue.)

Zombies 4 Lara? :D Indicates a kinda badass theme.

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering how much it would cost- now I know.

I'm still not sure what to call it and so I will let you decide. Here are the names so far. You can post if you have any more names and I will edit them on. Also if you want to vote for a name then put it in your post. No deadline, I don't think.

NAME-----------------VOTES
TR: Zombie Salvation
Deadly Survival
Fall of Humanity
Lara 4 Dead
Zombies 4 Lara
The Fall of Man

Hope this is alright. Also, because school is starting back in Britain I might not be able to do some work for a bit. But work is continuing.

mudkip25
02-09-09, 17:31
Yeah I just got a cool Title in my head!

Mittens of Avalon (No not really :p)

I really ment to say

the Fall of Man

I also joke titles

The Zombie Redemption (Parody of "the Shawshank Redemption")
Pleasant ZOmbie and Big Big Lara (Parody of Chinese Cartoon "Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf")
The Suite Life of Zombie and Lara (Parody of the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody")
Jon and Kate plus 8 Zombies (You know :p)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Zombie Afghanistankaban (lol)

tomblover
02-09-09, 17:46
LOL LOL LOL! :vlol:

That's hilarious!

TRLEChippers
02-09-09, 17:54
Yeah I just got a cool Title in my head!

Mittens of Avalon (No not really :p)

I really ment to say

the Fall of Man

I also joke titles

The Zombie Redemption (Parody of "the Shawshank Redemption")
Pleasant ZOmbie and Big Big Lara (Parody of Chinese Cartoon "Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf")
The Suite Life of Zombie and Lara (Parody of the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody")
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Zombie Afghanistankaban (lol)

Thank you for your title, Mudkip25! Your title has been added to the list. :vlol: at the other names!

EDIT: I have decided on the names of the first 3 levels. They are Central London, London Marina and Tunbridge Forest.