PDA

View Full Version : Friend List

Explorer
26-08-09, 23:46
Not too long ago I asked another member why they didn't accept friend requests. They in effect said it was pointless because they liked to treat everyone as equals.

At the time I didn't think I devalued anyone if they weren't on my friends list. Recently though, or literally only a couple of days ago I've wondered whether the whole friends list thing was even relevant. While like most folks I'm closer to some more than others, I try to get on with everyone else as much as possible.

I was just wondering what you personally think about the whole friend list thing. Does the fact that a member is not on your list mean you think less of them then someone who is. And if you do try to view everyone else as a 'friend' is the friend list even relevant?

irjudd
26-08-09, 23:48
The friend list is useful to have those you like well enough to send personal messages to in one easy to access list, and also to filter out the undesirable jerks that you don't like from being able to see your profile and leave you messages while allowing those you do like the ability to do so.

Nerd For Life
26-08-09, 23:52
The friend list is useful to have those you like well enough to send personal messages to in one easy to access list, and also to filter out the undesirable jerks that you don't like from being able to see your profile and leave you messages while allowing those you do like the ability to do so.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Although there ARE a few people I talk to and like a lot and haven't added to my friend list yet, because I keep forgetting.

TRhalloween
26-08-09, 23:54
I think it's a great way for people to start talking to each other, like "Thanks for adding me, how are you doing?" whic developes into discussion and friendship.

Ward Dragon
26-08-09, 23:56
I like the friend list because I can limit it so that only people on my friend list can post on my profile page. I had an incident awhile back where someone posted a really nasty image on my profile so now only my friends can do that :p But I keep forgetting who is on my list and who isn't, so there are probably plenty of people I like talking to who I haven't added yet :o

Tomb-Dude
26-08-09, 23:57
I mainly use it if i just want to send a friend a quick message on here instead of typing in their name or looking for a post of theirs. But I also agree with irjudd apart only letting certain people message you and not everyone :)

Mokono
27-08-09, 00:01
For me it's a practical way to keep conversations with people you like and also a way to display confidence and care towards another user (doesn't apply 100% of the cases though). As for the ignore list, i cleared it up a month ago, since i found it pointless. I also closed my profile doring the trolling outbreak, since it's over, so does my wall.

just croft
27-08-09, 00:11

I like the friend list because I can limit it so that only people on my friend list can post on my profile page. I had an incident awhile back where someone posted a really nasty image on my profile so now only my friends can do that :p But I keep forgetting who is on my list and who isn't, so there are probably plenty of people I like talking to who I haven't added yet :o

You guys just convinced me to make a few changes in my settings. After expiriencing and seeing a few things I think it's time to set a few limits. As of this moment my friends list is very important in terms of comunication.

As for the ignore list. I don't even know how it works. There are a few members of this forum who are certainly on my own imaginary ignore list but that's as far as it goes.

Lemmie
27-08-09, 00:13
I have a few members on my friends list, and none as far as I know on my ignore list. They don't figure that much for me; if I feel like sending someone a message, I do so. I don't keep up with people that regularly. :)

Ward Dragon
27-08-09, 00:18
As for the ignore list. I don't even know how it works. There are a few members of this forum who are certainly on my own imaginary ignore list but that's as far as it goes.

It looks like this, and the post can be revealed anyway by clicking on "View Post"

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/Ignorelist.jpg

I don't actually have anyone on my ignore list. I only did this for experimental purposes, and I picked irjudd because I know he can take a joke :D

Nerd For Life
27-08-09, 00:21
I don't actually have anyone on my ignore list. I only did this for experimental purposes, and I picked irjudd because I know he can take a joke :D

Tehehe. :D

Lara's Nemesis
27-08-09, 00:32
I've only got a few people on my friends list. I don't even know who one of them is.:D

The friends list makes sending visitor messages more convenient I suppose. Saves you having to search for posts by people you want to speak to.

There are plenty of people on here whose posts I enjoy reading and others who make me laugh who aren't on my list tho. I don't really see the point in having anyone on ignore. Even if I don't like someone I still want to know what they are saying.:p

Larson_1988
27-08-09, 00:34
I've only got a few people on my friends list. I don't even know who one of them is.:D

:ohn: We have spoken on Xbox Live. :D

And yes, i have these periods where i have my wall and all info shut off to friends only. It's very convinient that way. ;)

Ward Dragon
I don't really see the point in having anyone on ignore. Even if I don't like someone I still want to know what they are saying.:p

Indeed. "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" and all that :p Obviously I can't have anyone on my ignore list now, but I never used it even before becoming a mod.

just croft
It looks like this, and the post can be revealed anyway by clicking on "View Post"

:vlol: poor irjudd.

Thanks for explaining :tmb:

Paddy
27-08-09, 00:36

Well said :)
I think its a fair reason for it too.

Lara's Nemesis
27-08-09, 00:40
:ohn: We have spoken on Xbox Live. :D

And yes, i have these periods where i have my wall and all info shut off to friends only. It's very convinient that way. ;)

I know who you are, :ton:loving your avatar's gadgets.:D

Indeed. "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" and all that :p Obviously I can't have anyone on my ignore list now, but I never used it even before becoming a mod.

I honestly can't really think of anyone I dislike on here anyway. I will disagree with some people's views but that is what a healthy forum is all about.

Mr.Burns
27-08-09, 00:40

Spot on judders :tmb:

SamReeves
27-08-09, 01:05

My thoughts exactly too. I'm happy with whom I have as friends here, and there's a few people I'm still getting to know…they might become a friend soon!

However I'm done adding or accepting random people I just don't know.

Tony9595
27-08-09, 02:56

Oh my! I still remember that picture :yik:
And how we spammed a bit on your profile to get it into another page :vlol:

And you are ignoring irjudd :eek: :p
-------------

Anyway, nice explanation :)

And as for myself, well, I like to add people to my friends list for the reason TRhalloween stated, it's a way to meet new people. You never know when you might share some interests and even make a really big friendship :)

Ward Dragon
27-08-09, 03:32
Oh my! I still remember that picture :yik:
And how we spammed a bit on your profile to get it into another page :vlol:

Yeah :vlol: *shudders at the memory*

And you are ignoring irjudd :eek: :p

No I'm not :p It was literally for less than two minutes. Just long enough to take a screenshot :p

Alex Shepherd
27-08-09, 03:41
Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer
^
Agree all the time.

I didn't know anything about the ignoring member to not see his/her posts.

larafan25
27-08-09, 04:30
^I have someone on my ignore list, but I am too curious and always look at their posts:p

beleive me, there are people that would never step foot in my friends list:D

Drone
27-08-09, 08:30
I don't need to have an ignore or friend list to know who is my friend and who is not, forum shows it anyway :wve:

Cochrane
27-08-09, 08:42
I don't really care about my friends list. I just accept everyone who asks as long as I know them, but I never added anyone myself.

Explorer
28-08-09, 22:07
Thanks for all your thoughts :tmb:

I've sometimes made my profile wall accessible only to those on my friends list, but its accessible to anyone at the moment. In the past I've had a troll who sent me a few venomous PM's, so having my wall on or off wouldn't have mattered :rolleyes:

Ward Dragon
28-08-09, 22:08
Thanks for all your thoughts :tmb:

I've sometimes made my profile wall accessible only to those on my friends list, but its accessible to anyone at the moment. In the past I've had a troll who sent me a few venomous PM's, so having my wall on or off wouldn't have mattered :rolleyes:

You can delete the PM's. You can't delete the wall posts :(

TRhalloween
28-08-09, 22:09
Can't you just report PMs?

Mokono
28-08-09, 22:10
You can delete the PM's. You can't delete the wall posts :(

Wait, but you can :pi:...

Ward Dragon
28-08-09, 22:11
Can't you just report PMs?

Yes, you can report PM's and Visitor Messages.

Tony9595
28-08-09, 22:12
It's clearly proved that you can't Jenni :p

*remembers* eww...

Minty Mouth
28-08-09, 22:13
The friends list is just an easy way to keep all the people you spealk to most at quick access. Though I have a habit of forgetting to add people too.

Im not Ignoring anyone.........yet.

Joely-Moley
28-08-09, 22:14
I use my friend list so if I want to get in contact with someone I can do so quickly.

I've also had to make my contact details accessible to my friends list only after I got some weird Msn requests from people on here. :pi:

Mokono
28-08-09, 22:15
It's clearly proved that you can't Jenni :p

*remembers* eww...

That means that i can still find the picture in her wall?

Tony9595
28-08-09, 22:17
It's not there anymore, it was stolen by Shogo Takamoto... I mean, Justin deleted it :)