PDA

View Full Version : Texting while driving - PSA

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 01:18
Warning: not for the faint of heart, but it's an important message.
(mods - it's just corn syrup!)
DGE8LzRaySk

Chocola teapot
27-08-09, 01:19
Well, That was disturbing, But insightful!

EmeraldFields
27-08-09, 01:19
This was posted a month back or so, but still very interesting.:)

I had to use my "other" YT account to watch it.:pi:

irjudd
27-08-09, 01:20
Well there's your problem. She was on the wrong side of the road to begin with.

Tombraiderx08
27-08-09, 01:21
I saw this the other day on aol news, I posted on a myspace bulletin just to let my friends know I think of em, thank you for sharing Quasi :)

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 01:22

Here's a bloody hilarious comment left by someone on the forum where I found the video:
I might be 18 different shades of wrong, but I was hoping the theme would continue with the helicopters crashing into each other because one of the pilots was texting.
:vlol:

tombraiderluka
27-08-09, 01:22
Omg something's wrong with me, I was laughing when the cars hi eachother :(

Kittypower
27-08-09, 01:23
Did they all die?

Lemmie
27-08-09, 01:24
^ Did who all die?

Tombraiderx08
27-08-09, 01:25
Did they all die? The baby, the little girls parents, and the texters 2 friends. and its not real... :pi:

irjudd
Do roads wherever the hell she's supposed to be really have opposing traffic lanes divided with white road paint? That's pretty weird too.

Catracoth
And the worst part is, people could watch this over and over again until they get nightmares, and they'll still text and drive.

She lives in Europe you fool, they drive on the left side of the road.

Edit: the above statement was a joke, in case people can't figure that out on their own.

Kittypower
^ Did who all die?

I mean did the girl who was driving die or did she just close her eyes at the end.

The baby, the little girls parents, and the texters 2 friends. and its not real... :pi:

I know its not real, my question was really to open ended.

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 01:26

Failure to recognize sarcasm for 400, Alex.

lararoxs
27-08-09, 01:26
Do roads wherever the hell she's supposed to be really have opposing traffic lanes divided with white road paint? That's pretty weird too.

Yep, it's like that on most, if not all UK roads, my guess is that it was filmed in Wales.

It's such a risk - why gamble?

Lemmie
27-08-09, 01:27
I mean did the girl who was driving die or did she just close her eyes at the end.

Well given that it's a fiction to communicate an important message, no one died. I guess you can assume that she might have done.

EDIT: I think it's a fiction because I recognise the actor - the man who called the ambulance - from a TV show.

Catracoth
27-08-09, 01:27
Failure to recognize sarcasm for 400, Alex.

Failure to recognize the joke for a thousand.

Kittypower
27-08-09, 01:28
Well given that it's a fiction to communicate an important message, no one died. I guess you can assume that she might have done.

I realize its fiction, im just asking story wise did the girl driving die.

tombraiderluka
27-08-09, 01:28
And the worst part is, people could watch this over and over again until they get nightmares, and they'll still text and drive.

Edit: the above statement was a joke, in case people can't figure that out on their own.
Lmao, only people in England drive on the left side of the road ..

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 01:29

Nice cover there....;)

lararoxs

No, I don't think she did. I think the story is showing the damage she had done and now that she has to live with that burden.

Carbonek_0051

I fail to see how that "joke" is funny.

ThatNorskChick
I'm going to forward this to all of my stupid friends who think it's perfectly fine to text while driving, even when I'm in the damn car with them. It ticks me off to no end, they think they're invincible.

Catracoth
27-08-09, 01:30
Lmao, only people in England drive on the left side of the road ..

Uh, no actually. Australia does as well, so does China, Japan, and other places as well.

I fail to see how that "joke" is funny.

Hello, maybe it wasn't the funny kind of joke?

Lemmie
27-08-09, 01:30

Right, well, just so that's clear. Sorry, I just didn't know why anyone would ask if they died. Confused me there. :)

She died, she didn't die. If she has to live with the guilt of killing say seven other people, that would reinforce the message I would say.

Uh, no actually. Australia does as well, so does China, Japan, and other places as well.

Well of course, China drives on the right.

Tombraiderx08
27-08-09, 01:31
Im not sure if its exactly the smartest thing, but my friend does it at redlights only :S

tombraiderluka
27-08-09, 01:31

Actually I meant only England as in a country in Europe..

Catracoth
27-08-09, 01:32
Nice cover there....;)

Uh, it wasn't a cover Quasi. Let's not start and argument considering you know nothing of my intention, mkay?

Actually I meant only England as in a country in Europe..

Ah, well you should have clarified :p.

Mokono
27-08-09, 01:54
She died, she didn't die. If she has to live with the guilt of killing say seven other people, that would reinforce the message I would say.

I was exercising my imagination trying to think "what if", so i twisted the girl personality to reflect clear facts as let's say she's a careless and spoiled girl, and that instead of regreting killing her friends she just go out like "why me"? This is all imaginary of course, since the girl in the vid seem to be very aware of what she did, but i don't know... There really are peole whose lack of conscience is annoying.

Atlantean-Squid
27-08-09, 01:58
Uh, it wasn't a cover Quasi. Let's not start and argument considering you know nothing of my intention, mkay?

I ate a toenail once, thinking it was a crisp. :rolleyes:

tombraiderluka
27-08-09, 02:01
I ate a toenail once, thinking it was a crisp. :rolleyes:
That's hot.

Carbonek_0051
27-08-09, 02:16
Oh, ok.:)

MattTR
27-08-09, 02:19
Wow.. I just saw the still and yeah, that was enough for me.

I only text at red lights.. ;) And I make sure it's a fast one and a necessary one.

TRhalloween
27-08-09, 02:37

:pi:Yes ... as did I :pi:

Nice cover there....;)

Actually, it pretty much looked like a joke from every angle.

Tony9595
27-08-09, 02:46

Wasn't it posted just a week ago? :p

Angelus
27-08-09, 02:48
Wow, this thread is entertaining.

Catracoth
27-08-09, 03:05
Either way, drivers shouldn't be using the phone when driving. Instead of talking about what you plan on doing the following night, why don't you focus on the road and those around you so you can stay alive long enough to actually engage in planned festivities?

If something is so important whereas you must call or send someone a text message, have your passenger do it. If you're driving solo, pull over and complete your task. Because your ignorance not only puts your life in jeopardy, but the lives of countless innocent people as well.

maniakatosheto
27-08-09, 03:21
I cant watch this >> its too damn bad :( thats why girls should really never look at their phones.

Catracoth
27-08-09, 03:21
Not just girls--everyone. Not quite sure how you can single out only one sex here.

EternoD
27-08-09, 05:34
didn't i just post this video a few weeks ago? :confused:

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 05:43
didn't i just post this video a few weeks ago? :confused:

Oops. I don't peruse GC that thoroughly. A mod can close this.

scremanie
27-08-09, 05:48
To be honest.... I kind of laughed at this when I seen it... :pi:

It was just funny how their jerking around in the car and their lame acting skill make it look like a cheap horror movie.. LOL!!

But beyond 2:40 or something, it is not funny...

Lara's Nemesis
27-08-09, 05:53
I thought the video was pretty shocking.

Just the other day I was driving towards a junction when a young woman came screaming around the corner, totally cutting it in the process. I had to slam on the brakes and come to a stop about 20 yards away from the junction to avoid her. She was talking on a mobile at the time and I am pretty sure she remained totally unaware of my car. She didn't glance over at any time. Idiot.:mad:

tombraiderxii
27-08-09, 06:14
this is very depressing . :(

Rachel Croft
27-08-09, 06:34

They drive in the opposite direction in England, bud. :p

Shark_Blade
27-08-09, 08:40
Never saw this. Production quality is good. :)

ShadyCroft
27-08-09, 08:51
Wow! this was really....heart-breaking and sad. :(

Cochrane
27-08-09, 08:52
I am still wondering why we need videos like this. Of course texting while driving is bad, just liking making omelets or reading a newspaper while driving. Shouldn't people know that when they have a driver's license?

Most countries in europe use white for normal markings and yellow only for temporary, as far as I know. I don't think any other color would have prevented the accident eitherů

Hateshinai
27-08-09, 08:59
Sometimes there are strong concrete or iron fences in Belgium.

Cochrane
27-08-09, 09:01
Sometimes there are strong concrete or iron fences in Belgium.

Sure, we have that a lot in Germany as well. I just meant for the cases where there is only paint separating the lanes.

kristi
27-08-09, 09:41
Very shocking indeed.:(

I almost cryed when I watched that poor baby(not alive) :(:(
And that poor girl without parents and without her sibling. :(:(:(:(
"Mommy,Daddy wake up!" "Aren't mommy and daddy wake up?"...It just breaks everyone's heart :(:(:(

irjudd
27-08-09, 14:03
Most countries in europe use white for normal markings and yellow only for temporary, as far as I know. I don't think any other color would have prevented the accident eitherů
Very interesting, I never had a reason to discover or notice that before now. In the states, opposing lanes are always divided with yellow paint while white paint is only used to divide lanes traveling in the same direction. So what color paint is used for partner lanes over there?

Spong
27-08-09, 14:17
Are people round here suffering from short-term memory loss or what? This video was posted in this thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=157309) less than ten days ago. And I'll say now what I said in that thread:

Meh, Final Destination 2's car crash was much more awesome.

ShadyCroft
27-08-09, 14:50
Very interesting, I never had a reason to discover or notice that before now. In the states, opposing lanes are always divided with yellow paint while white paint is only used to divide lanes traveling in the same direction. So what color paint is used for partner lanes over there?

Do excuse me if you are being sarcastic and am not aware of it. :o

I just wanted to tell you that here in Jordan, lanes traveling in the same directions and lanes traveling in opposite directions are both divided with white paint.

Yellow paint here is only used to mark the edge of the road.

interstellardave
27-08-09, 14:52
I don't have to be told not to text while driving... in fact I don't text at all, anywhere. Nor do I talk on a cell phone while driving. My problem is that it always seems to be the person they (the talkers, texters, etc.) crash into who gets the worse end of the deal!

Cochrane
27-08-09, 14:56

White as well. All road markings in Germany are white (except at road works, where it is yellow. If both are present, yellow overrules white). There is no distinction between opposite and partner lanes: If you are allowed to pass (even on the opposite lane for overtaking), it is dashed, otherwise continous. There is also a double line, only used for separating opposite lanes when at least one direction has more than one lane, but it has no additional meaning.

ShadyCroft
27-08-09, 14:58
White as well. All road markings in Germany are white (except at road works, where it is yellow. If both are present, yellow overrules white). There is no distinction between opposite and partner lanes: If you are allowed to pass (even on the opposite lane for overtaking), it is dashed, otherwise continous. There is also a double line, only used for separating opposite lanes when at least one direction has more than one lane, but it has no additional meaning.

Same here.

just croft
27-08-09, 15:06

Here every marking on the road is white. Yellow is only used when there's work/construction in progress, to sign the there's a new path available while the main one isn't finished.

SamReeves
27-08-09, 16:23
When I see somebody glued to their cell phone, I try to get as far away from them as possible. :pi:

Dennis's Mom
27-08-09, 19:04
I am still wondering why we need videos like this.

Leonard Pitts was wondering the same thing recently. That man always hits the nail on the head. How to have an accident in one easy lesson (http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/leonard-pitts/story/1176645.html)

Wow, that's interesting about all white markings. It's so useful when you're in a strange area to be able to tell if it's a two way street or not with the yellow center line.

Romantics Inc.
27-08-09, 19:07
What happened to the leg flying out of the windshield???!! :vlol:

I found this video hilarious...perhaps because I knew they stole the scene from Deathproof...but LOL! THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR TEXTING!

Rai
27-08-09, 19:31
I am still wondering why we need videos like this. Of course texting while driving is bad, just liking making omelets or reading a newspaper while driving. Shouldn't people know that when they have a driver's license?

You'd think that people would have enough common sense wouldn't you? Videos like this shouldn't be needed. Sadly there are still people out there who believe that texting or talking on a mobile whilst driving is okay. They're safe drivers, it won't happen to them, it's all a load of bull that crashes happen because of texting blah blah. As long as there are people with that kind of mentality then these videos are still needed. If just one person who still texts whilst driving changes their mind after seeing the video, then it was worth seeing. It only takes one moment of distraction to cause so much harm.

I was at a friend's house a few years ago and my friend was talking on her mobile to someone who said they were driving, they were close to home. She told him he shouldn't have answered. She still continued to talk for a a short while before the line went dead. He'd crashed his car as they were talking. He died. People die when they aren't concentrating on the road.

Cochrane
27-08-09, 19:51
You'd think that people would have enough common sense wouldn't you? Videos like this shouldn't be needed. Sadly there are still people out there who believe that texting or talking on a mobile whilst driving is okay. They're safe drivers, it won't happen to them, it's all a load of bull that crashes happen because of texting blah blah. As long as there are people with that kind of mentality then these videos are still needed. If just one person who still texts whilst driving changes their mind after seeing the video, then it was worth seeing. It only takes one moment of distraction to cause so much harm.

I was at a friend's house a few years ago and my friend was talking on her mobile to someone who said they were driving, they were close to home. She told him he shouldn't have answered. She still continued to talk for a a short while before the line went dead. He'd crashed his car as they were talking. He died. People die when they aren't concentrating on the road.

And I had half a mind to say "let them", but of course their impact is not just on themselves. They endanger everyone around them. I agree that the real problem is the mindset, the "it won't happen to me" attitude, and frankly, I doubt that this will be altered much by this video. Everyone knows crashes can end badly, we just choose to believe that they don't happen to us.

I have half a mind to say that if a driver's license does not actually ensure people have enough common sense, we should recall them all and require stricter requirements for when we issue them again. I know this is not a useful idea (and to be honest, I get along just fine with most other drivers on the road), but it would be useful if something changed. Car driving has become too safe, and by the time we enter traffic school, we've already seen nearly twenty years of our parents and others not paying attention and ignoring all the advice the instructors give us, so we think it does not apply to us either. It's very hard to get out of that line of thought.

seashell093
27-08-09, 21:04
I can't believe that the other 2 girls didn't say "Hello, YOUR STEERING OFF OF THE ROAD!" :p

Encore
27-08-09, 21:11
Nice cover there....;)

hahaha :vlol: The magic edit button, making people look cooler than they really are, never fails!

Cochrane
31-08-09, 18:03
Just spotted this: Utah wants to treat texting while driving like drunk driving (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/technology/29distracted.html?_r=2&ref=technology&pagewanted=all). Sounds like a good idea to me.

Hermina94
31-08-09, 19:08
That's terrible...^^and sad :(

Candee Sparks
31-08-09, 19:11
Just spotted this: Utah wants to treat texting while driving like drunk driving (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/technology/29distracted.html?_r=2&ref=technology&pagewanted=all). Sounds like a good idea to me.

Both are very irresponsible and dangerous so I'd vote on that.

ShadyCroft
31-08-09, 19:33
^^ Good idea, but will things really change ?

There will still be those people who'll text while driving.