PDA

View Full Version : Thread ratings - Do you want them?

tlr online
27-08-09, 12:02
What are ratings?

The forums allow you to rate threads between 1 star (terrible) and 5 stars (excellent). Once enough votes are cast for a thread, stars will appear next to its name in the listings. These show the average vote, and can be an easy way to see which threads are worth reading if you are on a busy forum.

On the forum viewing page you can also arrange threads by rating, with either the highest or lowest at the top.

It therefore makes sense to rate threads because it helps all users. To do this, click on the 'rate thread' link at the top of the thread viewing page. Choose the number of stars you feel best represents the quality of the thread. You may or may not be able to change your choice of rating at a later date.

Dina_Croft
27-08-09, 12:03
Um not realy....=)

Drone
27-08-09, 12:04
Ratings mostly can be darn biased

Hermina94
27-08-09, 12:05
I don't think so.I like it just the way it is.:)

scremanie
27-08-09, 12:05
I like the idea :D

Paddy
27-08-09, 12:06
Dont mind the idea. But chose the bottom poll option anyway :p

interstellardave
27-08-09, 12:07
Nope... like so many other things on this and other forums it would mostly be a popularity contest.

Phlip
27-08-09, 12:09
No thanks. Most can make their own mind up on what they want to read. :p
What happened to the Male or Female option? The majority wanted that.

Angelus
27-08-09, 12:09
Nope... like so many other things on this and other forums it would mostly be a popularity contest.

I agree with this. If a member doesn't like a certain post or even the thread starter, then they could easily just rate is with 1 star... let members decide whether a thread is worth reading themselves is what I say.

TRenTIs
27-08-09, 12:12
Could be good. But I doubt I would take much notice of it. :tmb:

Tomb-Dude
27-08-09, 12:13
No thanks :)

Might put a person down if they get a 1 star thread for something they though was completly awesome, and due to people having mixed opinions on certain topics 3 star thread might also be a 5 star thread to someone else :\

Spong
27-08-09, 12:16
I'm with the "no thanks" party on this one. I don't see the point personally, popular threads are always at the top anyway, and like others have said, star ratings will no doubt be biased.

CerebralAssassin
27-08-09, 12:25
yes please with sugar on top.the ratings will prevent most to post useless junk.:D

Paddy
27-08-09, 12:27
yes please with sugar on top.the ratings will prevent most to post useless junk.:D

This :tmb:
It probably wont stop the junk being posted though :p
Game threads will continue to popup.

Minty Mouth
27-08-09, 12:27
Im voting no.

I like the Forum as it is, the popular threads are constantly bumped anyway, so Ratings would mainly be used for biased purposes.

Rai
27-08-09, 12:32
No. Others have all said it: It could promote bias for or against someone and it could mean someone feeling bad if their thread rates low. The more popular threads of the moment are already at the top of the list.

bloodstormaoa
27-08-09, 12:32
No thanks.

You can tell the crap threads anyway, by a number of factors (title, thread starter etc.)

EscondeR
27-08-09, 12:35
No thanx. *puts on Yoda's voice* Just one more crap stirring possibility they open...

January_Snow*
27-08-09, 12:35
Meh, I dont care, instead of proposing meaningles options, this forum should get abit, well better, more smileys, an automatic youtube code, and geting some controls over the mods, who just go around and close threads for no reason....

Paddy
27-08-09, 12:36
Meh, I dont care, instead of proposing meaningles options, this forum should get abit, well better, more smileys, an automatic youtube code, and geting some controls over the mods, who just go around and close threads for no reason....
They dont close threads for no reason, everything happens for a reason.

Wana b like Lara
27-08-09, 12:37
No thank you! :) I dont find it that helpfull. :D

Reggie
27-08-09, 12:44
Sounds like a good idea in principle. :tmb:
I'd recommend that you trial it for about a month to see if it makes any positive difference.

KIKO
27-08-09, 12:44
And I thought these ratings would be about age :D But no, they give no opportunity to new threads so that's a no from me :ohn:

daventry
27-08-09, 12:51
Sure why not, i dont think Other Forum Boards has this Feature. :confused:

I almost thought these Ratings would be under your Avatar/Username indicating how many times you have been Warned before Permenant Ban like on Other Forum Boards. :p

Paddy
27-08-09, 12:57
Sure why not, i dont think Other Forum Boards has this Feature. :confused:

I almost thought these Ratings would be under your Avatar/Username indicating how many times you have been Warned before Permenant Ban like on Other Forum Boards. :p

:confused: Nearly every forum Im on has it.

stereopathic
27-08-09, 12:57
against it.

Marianna12
27-08-09, 12:58
No thank you! It will cause more problems and fights imo

Ikas90
27-08-09, 13:00
Better than member ratings. :)

Fine with me. I don't encourage it though.

Explorer
27-08-09, 13:02
No way Jose :wve:

We all will have particular threads that interest us more that others, but giving ratings to a thread seems a bit much. As others have already stated there could also be some bias involved when giving such ratings.

Croft_Original
27-08-09, 13:02
No thanx. *puts on Yoda's voice* Just one more crap stirring possibility they open...

:D:vlol:

And I agree: it'd cause a lot of trouble, so I voted no thanks:wve:

Croft.

Hermina94
27-08-09, 13:06
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.
^^ :D

Mr.Burns
27-08-09, 13:10
Na.

xx_Hunt_xx
27-08-09, 13:11
No thank you! It will cause more problems and fights imo

I agree

It will just cause more conflict, and may make other people feel down if there thread doesnt get a high rating.
So i say no thanks :)

tomblover
27-08-09, 13:11
Nu-uh. I see no use for it. :p

Raider1969
27-08-09, 13:14
No Thankyou. This forum does not need thread ratings.

Lost_Soul
27-08-09, 13:51
Yeah, sure, why not? Some threads are plain awesome and some suck so why not have a way to state your oppinion of it...

lararoxs
27-08-09, 14:00
No, if people don't like a thread like the 'God debate', then it will get lower ratings, yet 'Open Chat would get high ratings from people who enjoy posting there. It's all based on opinion and people are biased.'

Larson_1988
27-08-09, 14:03
It would be ok if it weren't for all the favoriteism here.

adventurerLara
27-08-09, 14:05
No thanks. :)

Like others have said, it would cause all sorts of issues.

irjudd
27-08-09, 14:08
I would love to be able to rate down threads of people I don't like. Oh you must implement such a feature.

disneyprincess20
27-08-09, 14:08
I'm smiling, I've found a sap to blame it on. :D

Better than member ratings. :)

Very true.

xx_Hunt_xx
27-08-09, 14:11
It would be ok if it weren't for all the favoriteism here.

Exactly!!

Psychos'Я'Us
27-08-09, 14:12
Yeah sure.

Melonie Tomb Raider
27-08-09, 14:13
No thank you. :)

It's a nice thought, but I think all in all it will just encourage the trolls and self appointed mods who like to judge whether threads are pointless or not.

I think everyone has their own ideas and things they like to discuss, and it would be hurtful to tell them that their thoughts are "pointless". Unless it's utter spam, of course.

Paddy
27-08-09, 14:14
I would love to be able to rate down threads of people I don't like. Oh you must implement such a feature.

Would make for a bit of amusement.

Admles
27-08-09, 14:15
This is just like reputation points - serves no purpose

viper456
27-08-09, 14:15
If everyone votes on a thread, and its genuinely good, then 1 or 2 people saying it isn't would hardly effect the rating anyway. Surely it would discourage ******** threads being posted.

**LARA LOVER**
27-08-09, 14:16
No thank you. :)

Paddy
27-08-09, 14:17
If everyone votes on a thread, and its genuinely good, then 1 or 2 people saying it isn't would hardly effect the rating anyway. Surely it would discourage ******** threads being posted.

Agree with this. Would separate the good from the ****house threads.

viper456
27-08-09, 14:18
AND! everyone is usually quick to cry about celeb threads and game threads and anything else someone else might enjoy. So you could all use this to ***** even more ;) dayyyuuuumn

Catapharact
27-08-09, 14:19
No thanks. Seeing how the popular threads around here only consist of clap trap that either has something to do with a celeb. or some forum game, this idea will only encourage people to make more of those kind of idiotic threads.

viper456
27-08-09, 14:21
but but but you could complain about them using a pretty little rating system lmao gather the masses! start a war! It would be beautiful carnage! <3

Catapharact
27-08-09, 14:24
but but but you could complain about them using a pretty little rating system lmao gather the masses! start a war! It would be beautiful carnage! <3

Offtopic:

Wish I could start a forum war. That way, this little matter could once and for all be settled ;). The more weepy "you hurt my feelings!" douches get their butts outta this place, the better ;).

Ada the Mental
27-08-09, 14:38
^Man, you really are a broken record. :rolleyes:

I voted no, because I don't really see the point, it's obvious which threads are worth your time and which are not. But as I've said before I think this whole it's gonna be abused/biased thing is a bit of overreacting.

Trigger_happy
27-08-09, 14:47
Just because everyone else likes Lady GaGa, doesn't mean I do. Everyone has their own preferences- voting on threads would just cause problems.

Tony9595
27-08-09, 14:48
No thank you. That's one of the many things I hate on other forums :wve:

Nannonxyay
27-08-09, 14:49
Nope. People will go to threads of things they do not like just to downrate them. Like, people who hate Lady GaGa will downrate the GaGa thread etc. Probably causing more arguments.

just croft
27-08-09, 14:55
I actually like this idea.

If it was something like "user rating" I'd say NO really loud and probably even post the Darth Vader video. However I think this isn't bad at all. I don't see this turning into a popularity contest, much on the other hand.

Ok here I am trying to come up with arguments to counter some of the comments I read defending the no position and I can't. All I can say is: I don't believe that would happen (by that I mean what ever someone say would turn out bad)

This idea aside, I think there are other, much more important, points where this forums could be improved. Small improvements that could mean much more than something big such as this rating idea. The points I'm talking about are things like: signatures, gender option on profile, more skins, more smilies...

Eddie Haskell
27-08-09, 14:55
Just because everyone else likes Lady GaGa, doesn't mean I do. Everyone has their own preferences- voting on threads would just cause problems.

Who is Lady Gaga?

And everyone has pretty much spelled out why rating threads is a bad idea. Particularly for a forum with members as diverse as this one.

ShadyCroft
27-08-09, 15:01
No. A thread that seems worth reading for someone may be useless for someone else.
And as everyone else have said, this could turn quickly into some sort of popularity contest.
And there will be people who will abuse it and rate threads by the authors they don't like very low.

oocladableeblah
27-08-09, 15:01
I chose the smile one because I don't care, would be nice, but it would also be biased. A personal rating of threads would be better. As in the threads you rate as good or bad are shown only to you and you can choose to show top rated threads or vice versa, that way don't have to swim through all the crap to find the thread you want.

just croft
27-08-09, 15:15
Ok after thinking on the subject a little more and reading all posts up to this one, I have to say that this would only work properly if there was an option when starting the thread to allow or not allow the ratings. Just like you do with your own videos on youtube. Then if the thread get's a bad rating you only have yourself to balme.

Any one want's to give his/her thoughts on this?

Paddy
27-08-09, 15:18
Ok after thinking on the subject a little more and reading all posts up to this one, I have to say that this would only work properly if there was an option when starting the thread to allow or not allow the ratings. Just like you do with your own videos on youtube. Then if the thread get's a bad rating you only have yourself to balme.

Pretty good idea, that actually could work.

disneyprincess20
27-08-09, 15:34
The question is, what would happen to thread that had an unusually high or low rating? Would they be stickied/closed? I don't really see the point of adding extra effort when there's no extra gain the other end...

Eddie Haskell
27-08-09, 15:36

Why should I care about ratings? Is every thread supposed to be a popularity contest? Will garnering great ratings for your thread truly make it "great"? And if so, to whom?

irjudd
27-08-09, 15:38
Now, if threads that got down to 1 star over a certain amount of votes were automatically closed, that would be worth it.

Eddie Haskell
27-08-09, 15:40
Now, if threads that got down to 1 star over a certain amount of votes were automatically closed, that would be worth it.

Just close the General Chat forum...problem solved...;)

Angelus
27-08-09, 15:41
Just close the General Chat forum...problem solved...;)

:smk:

Nerd For Life
27-08-09, 15:42

Yes! Perfect idea m'dear.

Lara's Nemesis
27-08-09, 15:46
They have this feature on the Xbox forums and it works pretty well most of the time. It might help to cut down on spam.

Tony9595
27-08-09, 16:04
And what's next? Rating comments? :vlol:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

I still think that it is not a good idea :o

tlr online
27-08-09, 16:06
Soon as we reach 100 votes I'll close off and go with the majority.

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 16:07
So many "no"s? Y'all are no fun :p

irjudd
27-08-09, 16:09
So many "no"s? Y'all are no fun :p
Everyone is skeert. Really they are imagining how it would turn out, but I guess we'll just never know now. I always say give every new features a shot and if the majority really do end up hating it, then toss it.

tranniversary119
27-08-09, 16:11
I'd like them :)

Lenochka
27-08-09, 16:11
Nah, whats the point?

Reggie
27-08-09, 16:12
You're sooo democratic, you fail to live up to your perceived image. :p
+ Quasi and Judd are right, at least give it a try. A trial period is the only real way to know.

Eddie Haskell
27-08-09, 16:12

May as well close it now, at this point there are only 16 votes left with a 25 vote lead for "no".

Catapharact
27-08-09, 16:13
Everyone is skeert. Really they are imagining how it would turn out, but I guess we'll just never know now. I always say give every new features a shot and if the majority really do end up hating it, then toss it.

Or how about NOT letting a problem escilate to the point of screeching matches ;). The given senerio can be related to the member rating system we had on this forum not too long ago. All it did was attract moanful crying of emos saying how much they aren't liked, etc. etc.

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 16:15
May as well close it now, at this point there are only 16 votes left with a 25 vote lead for "no".

was thinking the same thing.

Polls in the future of TR section usually top off at around 300 votes, and another recent poll said around 150+ people visit GC the most, so...

Eddie Haskell
27-08-09, 16:16
You're sooo democratic, you fail to live up to your perceived image. :p
+ Quasi and Judd are right, at least give it a try. A trial period is the only real way to know.

A trial period would be nice, but as soon as a pathetic celebrity thread rates a 5 and one of Reggie's cerebral and well crafted ones rates a 2 that's when I would "rate" the system worthless. :(

Drone
27-08-09, 16:19

next is the Emplo .... Poser Of The Month ;)

Cochrane
27-08-09, 16:20
Nah… Five stars per thread? I think this is too complicated in the long run. Sure, it looks easy on the outset, but when you do it a lot most people won't bother. I know I won't. A simple "Good, bad, neutral" system might be better already, or some automatically generated metric.

LaraRules81
27-08-09, 16:23
No thanks :)

Romantics Inc.
27-08-09, 16:24
It would be nice yes...

CerebralAssassin
27-08-09, 16:25

Junior Member of the month.

Tomb-Dude
27-08-09, 16:25
Or how about NOT letting a problem escilate to the point of screeching matches ;). The given senerio can be related to the member rating system we had on this forum not too long ago. All it did was attract moanful crying of emos saying how much they aren't liked, etc. etc.

Exactly!
But this time it wont be about a member rating it will be about their threads. They will just moan about how crap the system of rating threads is and it's just down to popularity. Which I have got to say is true on this forum, the more popular people about 75% of the time have the most successful threads but to me they are the most pointless.

This rating thing will go out of hands and then just be taken away because too many people will moan about it and pointless stuff really. Don't really think I could deal with people moaning that their threads are pointless as well as other stuff they moan about.

larafan25
27-08-09, 16:26
definately not!:)

Reggie
27-08-09, 16:27
A trial period would be nice, but as soon as a pathetic celebrity thread rates a 5 and one of Reggie's cerebral and well crafted ones rates a 2 that's when I would "rate" the system worthless. :(
Thank you, I'm glad you like the threads I post. :) but I wouldn't be the least bit offended about getting a 1 on a thread of mine unless I wasn't given a reason. :mis:

Romantics Inc.
27-08-09, 16:27
Wait..can I change my mind? lol

Eddie Haskell
27-08-09, 16:29
Nah… Five stars per thread? I think this is too complicated in the long run. Sure, it looks easy on the outset, but when you do it a lot most people won't bother. I know I won't. A simple "Good, bad, neutral" system might be better already, or some automatically generated metric.

Without objective criteria the entire system is worthless. What are you rating, whether or not you like the thread on some type of scale? How does that assist another in determining whether or not the thread is for them? Perhaps if every separate, individual forum had their own criteria for determining usefulness, topicality, etc. than it would actually mean something when the rating was read. But when all it probably means is that it is liked/disliked by members than it does not carry any real weight in determining anything.

just croft
27-08-09, 16:37
Since I'm thinking Justin will close this thread when he closes the poll I'll leave my last words in this thread now:

As I said before I think you should focus more on minor things because many new minor improvements are better than a big one. As for something big like this (rating threads) I think that weather there's a Yes or No response from the majority there should always be a one week test phase. For this idea to work properly it would have to be ajusted so that the thread starter had to option to choose between allow ratings/ don't allow ratings. :wve:

moodydog
27-08-09, 16:42
can i rate this thread a 1 :p

TombRaiderCool
27-08-09, 16:47
Naaa...the idea itself is nice but I think it will be abused and will turn into a popularity contest more than anything. People might start giving a very poor rating to all the thread specific members have started out of spite for something that happened in the past, not the fairest system I guess.
5 stars or none I will probably read the thread anyway. :wve:

Tony9595
27-08-09, 16:53
↑ Good point, I see that coming :(

Eddie Haskell
27-08-09, 16:53
Naaa...the idea itself is nice but I think it will be abused and will turn into a popularity contest more than anything. People might start giving a very poor rating to all the thread specific members have started out of spite for something that happened in the past, not the fairest system I guess.
5 stars or none I will probably read the thread anyway. :wve:

The forum it is in, the member who started the thread and the threads title are more than enough for me to make a decision whether or not to take a peek.

Legend of Lara
27-08-09, 16:55
Nope. I never really saw the point of it. I'll read a thread if I want to, regardless of star ratings.

TombRaiderCool
27-08-09, 17:00
The forum it is in, the member who started the thread and the threads title are more than enough for me to make a decision whether or not to take a peek.

Personally I rarely look in certain forums so that is pretty much like me. However, I don't usually avoid and topic because of who started it, though I have noticed that some members' topics have a general theme. ;) Quite often topic titles aren't really enough for me to make a decision often they are either misleading to the actual topic or vague, which could be just a way of drawing us to have a look at it. :p So, usually I just look at all the new threads in the section I am viewing. :)

miss.haggard
27-08-09, 17:04
I wouldnt really mind them, but the thread has a nice clean look about it now. I chose the last option!

Gabi
27-08-09, 17:45
I fail to see the point of thread ratings.
As a mod I have to look at all of them anyway.........:hea: (;))

But if that were not the case I would still click on those that seem of interest to me, regardless of the number of stars they might have. The fact that a lot of members give a thread a high rating (whatever their reason might be) does not necessarily mean that I find the topic worthwhile myself, nor would I disregard a thread just because it has got a low rating.
And I highly doubt that thread ratings would actually give a true picture of which threads are liked, it would more likely show which thread starters are popular.
For all these reasons I voted "No" (before the boss closed the poll :p).

toxicraider
27-08-09, 17:49
No thanks,
Besides, the nature of threads can change quite quickly, so a high rated discussion thread could turn into a spam-fest, and retain the high rating. Surely the number of posts would give an idea of how popular a thread is. :confused:

Nemo_91
27-08-09, 17:51
No thank you. I don't really see the point of it to be honest. :o

Larapink
27-08-09, 17:51
Yes Please! :)

Encore
27-08-09, 18:36
YES.

I would very much apreciate to vent my frustration towards the stupidity of some threads in a harmless manner.

AmericanAssassin
27-08-09, 18:45
No, these forums do not need to become more of a popularity contest. Make that a HELL NO from me. ;)

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 18:48
How are the forums a popularity contest?

tlr online
27-08-09, 18:53
The no's have it. Thanks folks. :wve:

Encore
27-08-09, 18:53
Oh well. Guess I'll have to resort to trolling then. :cool:

AmericanAssassin
27-08-09, 18:54
How are the forums a popularity contest?

What I meant was that people are already likely to visit a thread when someone well known posted it and ignore threads by unknown members. This would just add to that...

Lee croft
27-08-09, 18:55
nope

btw "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

is one of my friends msn name...