PDA

View Full Version : Entertainers as Activists

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 20:39
How do you feel about entertainers(celebrities) using their access to media attention to spread their personal views? Does it turn you off buying their movies or albums, or does it just make you a bigger fan if you happen to share their views?

Examples:
Madonna booed in Bucharest for defending Gypsies (http://omg.yahoo.com/news/madonna-booed-in-bucharest-for-defending-gypsies/26947?nc)
Madonna: 'Palin Can't Come to My Show' (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,433825,00.html)
Barbra Streisand disses Bush, supporter during concert (http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Barbra_Streisand_heckled_during_concert)
Winfrey tells Iowa crowd: Barack Obama is the One (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/08/oprah.obama/)
Chuck Norris Endorses Huckabee for president (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304096,00.html)

I personally find it very tacky. What do you think?

Encore
27-08-09, 20:41
I think that expressing views on important subjects is a comendable attitude in anyone. Why should celebrities be treated diferently, ie, censored, just because they're famous?

SamReeves
27-08-09, 20:42
How do you feel about entertainers(celebrities) using their access to media attention to spread their personal views? Does it turn you off buying their movies or albums, or does it just make you a bigger fan if you happen to share their views?

Examples:
Madonna booed in Bucharest for defending Gypsies (http://omg.yahoo.com/news/madonna-booed-in-bucharest-for-defending-gypsies/26947?nc)
Madonna: 'Palin Can't Come to My Show' (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,433825,00.html)
Barbra Streisand disses Bush, supporter during concert (http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Barbra_Streisand_heckled_during_concert)
Winfrey tells Iowa crowd: Barack Obama is the One (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/08/oprah.obama/)
Chuck Norris Endorses Huckabee for president (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304096,00.html)

I personally find it very tacky. What do you think?

Well if it's more along the lines of Derek Jeter helping raise money to cure ALS, then I'd understand and support that.

But the Hollywood types as you have mentioned, it gets really tacky for the political causes. Especially on the Dem's side.

george_croft
27-08-09, 20:42
I think it's great. Everyone should be able to voice their opinion, even entertainers. :)

Tombraiderx08
27-08-09, 20:43
I think its pretty tacky too, I mean... we see enough politicians spamming up tv with their "and i approve this message" commercials, we dont need other people telling us who to vote for too.

Cochrane
27-08-09, 20:43
I think this is, again, the time for the old phrase "Sure, why not?". Yes, it can get annoying, but then, it's your fault for listening to what these people say in the first place. :D

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 20:47
I think that expressing views on important subjects is a comendable attitude in anyone. Why should celebrities be treated diferently, ie, censored, just because they're famous?

Why should their opinions receive more attention than everybody else's?

I think this is, again, the time for the old phrase "Sure, why not?". Yes, it can get annoying, but then, it's your fault for listening to what these people say in the first place. :D
Like the concert audience? They thought they bought tickets to see a performance, not a pundit...

Larapink
27-08-09, 20:48
It's a good thing, especially if they are raising money for charities around the world. :)

adventurerLara
27-08-09, 20:52
Why wouldn't celebrities use their status to promote their views? Makes sense to me. Their opinions aren't more important but simply get pushed out there, creating more attention. It applies to that of anyone, if you believe strongly enough in your own view it shouldn't matter.

Quasimodo
27-08-09, 20:52
It's a good thing, especially if they are raising money for charities around the world. :)
It can be in a case like that. That's why I didn't include Angelina's humanitarian efforts in the list of examples.

Encore
27-08-09, 20:53

That's got nothing to do with the subject, except that it sounds incredibly petty. If you wanna be heard, try to catch people's attention too, don't blame it on the fact that they're famous. They're using their fame as a way to do what they feel is right, what can be wrong in that?

Also, your argument could apply to virtually every journalist and those who comment on political affairs in the mainstream media, because they get more attention than those of independent media as well. If that's the idea, then this thread should not be just about celebrities, because it just makes it sound petty.

Cochrane
27-08-09, 20:56
Does it? These people just do everything in their power to promote their views and ideas. They're not different from other people here, they're just better at it.

Like the concert audience? They thought they bought tickets to see a performance, not a pundit...
I think if you buy a ticket from someone like this then you already know what you will have to expect. It's not like they all just suddenly started to have and voice political opinions.

Encore
27-08-09, 20:58
Some people actually see their work in the entertainment industry as a mere instrument for political and social comment.

Such as various punk rock bands and similar, like Rage Against The Machine or The Clash.

I think that's a great thing.

george_croft
27-08-09, 20:59
Speaking of that first article you linked us to, the response she got when talking about equal rights was rather shocking...

"When she proclaimed, "We believe in freedom and equal rights for everyone!", you can actually here people yelling "No!" "

Sorry, but that's sad and funny at the same time. What a bunch of morons. :vlol:

Ward Dragon
28-08-09, 00:24
I think raising money for legitimate charities and humanitarian efforts is fine. I don't like when celebrities make political statements, though. 90% of them sound stupid like they don't even know what they are talking about and it usually annoys me enough that I end up associating that image with them whenever I see their movies, and thus I enjoy the movies a lot less. I don't care about the actors' personal lives. The less I know about them, the better. I just want to be able to watch the movie without any preconceived notions of the actual actor so that I can leave all that crap behind and focus upon the character that's in the movie :)

Tonyrobinson
28-08-09, 00:28
baUx42qs1xU

IceColdLaraCroft
28-08-09, 00:56
I think if they're being political about something (like what you posted) then it's an abuse of their position as public figures. But if they're using their celebrity for good causes then I'm all for it.

just croft
28-08-09, 00:59

They only do if you want to.

IceColdLaraCroft
28-08-09, 01:00
This reminds me of when Bono was saying "everytime I clap my hands a child in Africa dies." and someone in the concert yelled out "Then stop clapping your hands!"

:vlol:

Beans-Bot
28-08-09, 01:24
Well, who wouldn't express their feelings and beliefs if you knew the whole world was watching? I'm actually moderately disappointed when a celeb doesn't use their status to promote charity or whatever they believe, they know they have people clamoring over them and hanging on to their every word and yet all they can do is just say "Look at me! Look at me!" :pi:

AmericanAssassin
28-08-09, 01:28
If I was famous, I would take advantage and try to spread my beliefs. Think of it that way. Most of you would, too. It's fine by me. ;)

miss.haggard
28-08-09, 01:32
I dont think its a big deal if they do it on their own time, but when they (Linkin Park) make an enitre cd (Minutes to Midnight) about how much they hate a certain ruling body (The Bush Presidency) it gets a little rediculous. I want to hear music, not lyrics bashing someone. Well I guess that CD was doomed from the start, seeing as they are trying to be like everyone else (Emo losers :))

But thats not the point. Point is, I dont mind it, as long as they dont bring it into something Im going to buy.

Melonie Tomb Raider
28-08-09, 01:42
I can't help but not take entertainers very serious when they discuss such issues, mainly because most celebrities are uneducated. They think because they have fame they're somehow smart. Uh... no. Most of them are quite dumb compared to your average person.

takamotosan
28-08-09, 02:53
I think it's fine for them to voice their opinions about things, without going overboard. Like, all-out endorsing a political figure is gross.

And Oprah is a closet politician posing as a deity.

miss.haggard
28-08-09, 02:56
^ Ugh, dont even mention Oprah, I am so sick of her after all the crap she did during elections. I think being so outspoken (especially on something so important) can hurt your ratings, wouldnt you think? If I watched Oprah before the election I certainly wouldnt watch her now after seeing how she acted.

irjudd
28-08-09, 02:58
To be completely honest now... anything Chuck Norris endorses immediately gains recognition to me than if some bum (like Christian Bale) were advertising it.

Chocola teapot
28-08-09, 03:03
I should spread my elbow beleifs.

aileenwuornos
28-08-09, 03:12
"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority."
&
"In those wretched countries where a man cannot call his tongue his own, he can scarce call anything his own. Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

- Benjamin Franklin

aka

I think they have just as much right as anyone else (should have/does have) to express their attitudes, values and beliefs. In fact, in some respects, it's very important because it can shed light on issues that normally might not get any coverage. IMHO if you're not really ****ed off about the state of the world, then you're really just not paying enough attention.

scoopy_loopy
28-08-09, 06:06
:rolleyes:

That sums up my opinion :p

ShadyCroft
28-08-09, 06:19
I don't see what's the big deal. She just said a few words, voiced her opinion, and then got on with the concert. Its not like the people were ripped off with their tickets.
And anyways, she only voiced her opinion (talking about Madonna btw, cause that's the only article I've read), its not like she did anything else.

At the end, its you who's in charge of your opinion, not Madonna or someone else.

@ ICLC: :vlol: that guy in the crowd was surely a smart ass. :p

Mad Tony
28-08-09, 10:21
Well if it's more along the lines of Derek Jeter helping raise money to cure ALS, then I'd understand and support that.

But the Hollywood types as you have mentioned, it gets really tacky for the political causes. Especially on the Dem's side.

I can't help but not take entertainers very serious when they discuss such issues, mainly because most celebrities are uneducated. They think because they have fame they're somehow smart. Uh... no. Most of them are quite dumb compared to your average person.I agree with both of these :tmb:

It wouldn't be so bad if the messages given were even somewhat balanced, but they're not. Given Hollywood's ultra-leftist stance you normally only ever hear one side of a political issue.

Of course, if celebrities try and use their image to promote something like a charity then I'm all for it.

Nannonxyay
28-08-09, 10:53
Saying most celebrities are dumb is such a generalization. Just because some celebs like Jessica Simpson etc are idiots, doesn't mean all of them are. There are many intelligent celebrities out there who stand up for what they believe in and I think they have every right to.

The fans should know by now what their favourite musicians are like and what they believe, so why do they get offended? Oh yeah, because the people in that crowd were narrow minded. How can you seriously "Boo" at the "Equal rights for everyone"? I know that if I were famous and I saw or heard of something which I felt was wrong, I would happily speak about it because I would have just as much right to express my opinion as an average person does.

icecreamkiller
29-08-09, 05:27
I feel everyone should speak their minds regardless of how famous they are. There's already far too much indifference and passiveness in the world - the more people who make their opinions heard, the better. The key to improvement is to be faced with differing points of view in a way that will inspire discussion, and not only that, but there can never be too many people making themselves heard. I will never agree with anyone who feels that people in any position should keep their opinions to themselves; expressing their opinion is the best thing anyone can do. Indifference is not bliss, caring about the environment you live in and being vocal about your views is. Freedom of speech should be encouraged and exercised by everyone so that a state of everyone voicing their opinions can be maintained - encouraging people, however prominent they may be, to shut up, means silencing an opinion, and that is never a good thing. Staying silent only helps maintain the status quo, and that'll only ever be an ideal situation once the world is perfect. Since the world will never be perfect, keeping quiet and maintaining an indifferent attitude will never be a good thing.

EmeraldFields
29-08-09, 05:42
Celebrities have the same rights as we do in voicing their opinion.

Just because people admire your ability to entertain doesn't mean you forfeit your right to have an opinion.

aileenwuornos
29-08-09, 06:58
I feel everyone should speak their minds regardless of how famous they are. There's already far too much indifference and passiveness in the world - the more people who make their opinions heard, the better. The key to improvement is to be faced with differing points of view in a way that will inspire discussion, and not only that, but there can never be too many people making themselves heard. I will never agree with anyone who feels that people in any position should keep their opinions to themselves; expressing their opinion is the best thing anyone can do. Indifference is not bliss, caring about the environment you live in and being vocal about your views is. Freedom of speech should be encouraged and exercised by everyone so that a state of everyone voicing their opinions can be maintained - encouraging people, however prominent they may be, to shut up, means silencing an opinion, and that is never a good thing. Staying silent only helps maintain the status quo, and that'll only ever be an ideal situation once the world is perfect. Since the world will never be perfect, keeping quiet and maintaining an indifferent attitude will never be a good thing.

That sums it up perfectly. :)

Goose
29-08-09, 07:04
If it helps a good cause then sure, but then again, if they feel the need to voice there opinions to the world, why dont they feel the need to sell that massive house for the same cause?

Politics shouldnt be spoken about, these people influence there fans massively, and to convince people to vote a certain way using there popularity isnt the job of a pop star or movie star.