PDA

View Full Version : Kidnap Victim Turns Up After 18 Years

tranniversary119
27-08-09, 20:58
Kidnap Victim Turns Up After 18 Years
California Girl Was Reported Missing at Age 11
(Aug. 27) -- Police say a convicted sex offender and his wife have been arrested in the kidnapping of an 11-year-old in 1991 who recently walked into a Northern California police station.
Police say 58-year-old Phillip Garrido and his 54-year-old wife Nancy Garrido were arrested in the kidnapping case Wednesday. The Megan's Law database says Phillip Garrido has a conviction for rape by force or fear.The woman came into a San Francisco Bay area police station and said she was Jaycee Lee Dugard, a blond, ponytailed girl when she was abducted as she headed to a school bus stop 18 years ago, said sheriff's Lt. Les Lovell of the El Dorado Sheriff's Department.
Lovell said Concord police did an investigation after the woman surfaced, and he received a call Wednesday from investigators who had tentatively identified her as Dugard.
Her family has been contacted and they are in the process of arranging a meeting, said Lovell, who was a detective assigned to help investigate the kidnapping in 1991. "We are very confident at this point in time that it is her."
Jimmie Lee, a spokesman for the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department, said FBI and El Dorado sheriff's deputies arrested the two suspects Wednesday night. They were being held in the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez.Law enforcement sources said authorities were also searching a home in Antioch.
Dugard's stepfather, Carl Probyn, said the news was like winning the lottery.
"To have this happen where we get her back alive, and where she remembers things from the past, and to have people in custody is a triple win," he told The Sacramento Bee.
Witnesses reported that a vehicle with two people drove up to Dugard and abducted her while her stepfather was watching on June 10, 1991, the Sheriff's Department said in a news release Thursday.
In media reports at the time, the girl's stepfather said he heard Jaycee scream then jumped on a bicycle and frantically pedaled after the car in a failed effort to follow it up a hill. He then turned around and screamed at neighbors to call 911.
The case attracted national attention and was featured on TV's "America's Most Wanted," which broadcast a composite drawing of a suspect seen in the car.
Probyn said his wife, Terry, had spoken with Dugard by phone on Wednesday. He said the mother and their 19-year-old daughter were flying from their Southern California home to meet with Dugard in Northern California.
Investigators first visited with his wife about three weeks ago, he said.
Probyn said he endured years of suspicion from FBI agents who believed he may have been involved in the abduction. He eventually lost hope that he would ever see his stepdaughter alive.
"Then you pray that you get her body back so there is an ending," Probyn said.
Lovell said investigators have been working the case consistently since she was abducted and new leads had surfaced over time.
"You bet it's a surprise. This is not the normal resolution to a kidnapping," he said.
Associated Press Writer Paul Elias in San Francisco contributed to this report.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2009-08-27 13:49:53
source (http://news.aol.com/article/kidnapped-girl-jaycee-dugard-walks-into/643351?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews. aol.com%2Farticle%2Fkidnapped-girl-jaycee-dugard-walks-into%2F643351)
Always great to hear some good news :)

TRfan23
27-08-09, 21:05
Bloody hell!

Well that's excellent news for her to have been found, and have two people already in custody :) Though it might still be disorientating for her to go back to her family, and see things anew :( But pleasing at the same time :)

Romantics Inc.
27-08-09, 21:06
:yik: Thank god!

tranniversary119
27-08-09, 21:08
Bloody hell!

Well that's excellent news for her to have been found, and have two people already in custody :) Though it might still be disorientating for her to go back to her family, and see things anew :( But pleasing at the same time :)

I would imagine so after being gone for eighteen years, and god knows what happens to the poor girl. Hopefully she's fine!

*richietrent*
27-08-09, 22:06
She may have to go through Counselling, but seeing as she's now older and maybe more wiser, she might be ok with getting on with her family! How hard must that bed to know your daughters still alive, or your sister!

Lee croft
27-08-09, 22:09
thats like just over my whole life time :yik:

Rai
27-08-09, 22:30
Wow, that's incredible. So good that she okay and well. It says in the article that one of her abductors walked into the police station with her? I wonder what made them give her back. If I read wrong, how did she get free?

This is similar to another case, the girl who was kept in the cellar for something 20 years? I can't remember exactly.

matrix54
27-08-09, 22:33
wow... I feel so sorry, but at the same time, I'm glad she's alright :)

Tony9595
27-08-09, 22:35
Wow those guys completely stole an important part of her life :(
At least she is well and things seems to be getting better :)

Chocola teapot
28-08-09, 01:58
Oh my gosh, Thank goodness! But what sort of life does she have now? :(

scremanie
28-08-09, 02:04
I want to see what she looks like :)

I am glad that she is safe and back with her family. :)

larafan25
28-08-09, 02:05
oh my gosh:O

thank goodness scremanie didn't change his/ her avatar I really like it..:)

anyways, this is great news, for her to survive all this time:)

I'm glade she is found:)

scremanie
28-08-09, 02:07
Before:
http://www.find-missing-children.org/images/000295c1.jpg

After:
http://www.find-missing-children.org/images/000295e1.jpg

larafan25
28-08-09, 02:10
^wow she looks good:)

what conditions was she in?:)

scremanie
28-08-09, 02:12
oh my gosh:O

thank goodness scremanie didn't change his/ her avatar I really like it..:)

lol.. what? ROFL that was so random :p

larafan25
28-08-09, 02:14
I like the stick person in your avatar, he is hott:)

scremanie
28-08-09, 02:17
I like the stick person in your avatar, he is hott:)

LMAO!!! thanks :o :hug:

but why so random? :p

oh and I found a newer picture of this woman. She actually has makeup on here and her hair done :whi:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/62/m_88a89d6724dd327990f6e5fb09faf153.jpg

Tommy123
28-08-09, 03:49
I just saw this one the news like two seconds ago. Its quite a miricle.

Spong
28-08-09, 05:04
I've just heard this on the news over here. I'm stunned, but it's an amazing outcome. I'm sure Jaycee's parents feel like this is all a dream.

AmericanAssassin
28-08-09, 05:28
Ummm... How is she? Is she back with her family? How good. How odd. What the heck?

scoopy_loopy
28-08-09, 06:03
I wonder if it was Stockholm Syndrome that kept her there for those 18 long years.

Poor woman, I hope she goes on and lives a fantastic life now.

igonge
28-08-09, 06:11
I just heard about this, this morning on GMTV. Shocking. Good news she was found.

Drone
28-08-09, 08:49
that's scary reminds me of Rosemary West crimes.

Glad it ended up ok

tomblover
28-08-09, 09:03
I wonder if it was Stockholm Syndrome that kept her there for those 18 long years. Jesus, it's so scary having my hometown's name on a term like that. :eek:

I'm really glad she's safe and (From the looks of the pics.) healthy! :)

Hermina94
28-08-09, 11:07
I'm really happy for her family :)

rowanlim
28-08-09, 11:39
This is wonderful news :tmb:

Too many times kidnapped victims never return home :(

xMiSsCrOfTx
28-08-09, 12:22
Such a horrifying story. I just heard about this on the news this morning. Thankfully she's okay; I can't even imagine what being locked in a maze-like backyard and having to bear two of your captor's children would do to you, though. It's a really sick, twisted story but it's nice to see that there's a happy ending.

Dennis's Mom
28-08-09, 17:21
Apparently those two children have never been to school or seen a doctor either.

It's a miracle, I'm sure, for her parents. After so long, I'm sure I would have succumbed to the belief my child was dead. Good luck to her. I'm sure she's got a lot of catching up to do.

Grenade
28-08-09, 20:44
those after pics are age-processed: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=185310479&albumId=163832

really glad she's found and still okay btw, so terrible :(