PDA

View Full Version : CD TRs better than Core TRs

Mikky
29-08-09, 12:39
Am I the only one who thinks that TRL, TRA and TRU are better than the classics? I keep reading here that CD TRs are really crap compared to the classics and that they should of kept the controls the same and all that. Basically, that they should of kept everything the same.

I really think that CD changed TR for the better, and I properly wouldn't even liked TR if they didn't.

Does any else think this?

Eddie Haskell
29-08-09, 12:40
No, it's only you... ;)

Johnnay
29-08-09, 12:41
Oh god please no

Paddy
29-08-09, 12:42
I find Underworld better then some of the Classics, but Legend is nowhere near the league of the originals.

Lara's home
29-08-09, 12:42
The hardcore classic-fans have the loudest voice on this forum. There are many who agree's with you though.

Angelus
29-08-09, 12:43
This isn't going to end well...

Paddy
29-08-09, 12:43
The hardcore classic fans arent always right, they just all prefer the originals, doesnt mean anyone who likes Crystals games any less TR fans :)

Lara Fan 4Life
29-08-09, 12:44
Not a lot do, but it's your opinion and people should repect it! :) I think Underworld is better than some of Core's games, like Paddy said.

Paddy
29-08-09, 12:46
Dont see why it should be just fans of the original who can speak up, if people love Crystals games more, I personally would love to know their reasons and stuff. I find Underworld more interesting then the original Tomb Raider.

Mad Tony
29-08-09, 12:48
Your loss ;)

Paddy
29-08-09, 12:49
Your loss ;)

Not really, if he likes Crystals games better then it aint really his loss lol
The only two things I really hate about Crystals games is Lara herself and how soft she went, Legend being short.

Deepthought
29-08-09, 12:52
I think you would be hard pressed to find people who agree with you on this forum.

Crystal's TRs did quite a bit of things right, but still leave a bit more to be desired, primarily more exploration and non-linearity (many other people would probably say "better plot", "better Lara personality" and "braid/no braid" but that stuff is pretty and doesn't actually effect the gameplay). With TRU, they are getting close to a TR game that rivals Core's classics, as it has great graphics, both artistically and technically, and fun gameplay. TRU had a few technical problems (read: bugs) that prevented me from enjoying the game to its fullest, but it was still good.

However, you can't beat the "original trilogy." The first game has absolutely stunning atmosphere, a great plot that I still think is the best TR has to offer so far, and actually had subtle details that weren't in your face like it seems every game has nowadays. The music was (dare I say) epic and the gameplay was lots of fun. Instead of making everything all epic like Crystal and a lot of other developers try to do, it seemed much more humble, where the cities and tombs you are raiding seem almost peaceful, until an enemy comes out of nowhere. TR1 was definitely the prime tomb raider game and is what I immediately think of when I think of a true Tomb Raider experience.

Tomb Raider 2 and 3 really are in almost every way as good, and Crystal has quite a bit more work to do to match those. I know Crystal can do it, as they made the original Soul Reaver which was just as good as the classic Tomb Raider games. However, at this present time, the first 3 games far outdo any Crystal made Tomb Raider game.

EDIT: Wow, when I viewed this topic there was zero replies, now its already on page two...

Kelly Craftman
29-08-09, 12:53
Crystal push Tomb Raider into the Next Gen world, but to make it even better they should PUSH HARDER :mis:

Mad Tony
29-08-09, 12:54
Not really, if he likes Crystals games better then it aint really his loss lol
The only two things I really hate about Crystals games is Lara herself and how soft she went, Legend being short.Yeah, really. You can get a lot of play time out of the classics, and I think anybody who doesn't enjoy them is really missing out on a lot.

Paddy
29-08-09, 12:56
Yeah, really. You can get a lot of play time out of the classics, and I think anybody who doesn't enjoy them is really missing out on a lot.

I think if people never played the classics would be missing out more.

tomblover
No, it's only you... ;) Basically. :p

Minty Mouth
and I think anybody who doesn't enjoy them is really missing out on a lot.

That really doesnt make much sense. For all you know, the OP could get the same, if not more, enjoyment out of Crystals games, as you do out of Core's games. Therefore there's no "missing out"

Do you get what I mean?

Mad Tony
29-08-09, 12:57
That really doesnt make much sense. For all you know, the OP could get the same, if not more, enjoyment out of Crystals games, as you do out of Core's games. Therefore there's no "missing Out"

Do you get what I mean?What part of it doesn't make sense?

adventurerLara
29-08-09, 12:59
Here we go again...

TRGamer8
29-08-09, 13:01
Am I the only one who thinks that TRL, TRA and TRU are better than the classics? I keep reading here that CD TRs are really crap compared to the classics and that they should of kept the controls the same and all that. Basically, that they should of kept everything the same.

I really think that CD changed TR for the better, and I properly wouldn't even liked TR if they didn't.

CRYSTALS DYNAMICS are MUTCH better, you're not the only one, it make us two :D:D:D
And of course they made TR better, TRA, TRL and TRU are one of my favourite games, they have got realistic enviroments, Lara, and definitely more better, exciting and non-linear combat as classoc TRs :D

January_Snow*
29-08-09, 13:03
Youre defenatley not the only one, in my book TRU is better than some classic games and AOD, and Legend beats some classics and defenatley AOD to...

RAID
29-08-09, 13:03
No, it's only you... ;)
I concur. :tmb:

Paddy
29-08-09, 13:05
I concur. :tmb:

Last few posts say its not just him :p

Explorer
29-08-09, 13:10

You wanna start something ? :mad: :p

Seriously though, I can't really comment on this personally because with the exception of the demos I haven't got round to playing CD's handiwork. I may possibly be missing out, but I've personally been quite content with my classic TR :)

Anyway why do you think Crystal work is better than Core's ? ;)

CerebralAssassin
29-08-09, 13:12
CD games can't hold a candle to the classics,by any stretch of the imagination.now,I'm not saying that TRU is bad,but that the classics are better hands down.

Gabi
29-08-09, 13:49
The eternal debate. :D
There are already quite a few threads around where this topic gets discussed. Please continue in one of them.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=157621&highlight=Core+Crystal&page=2
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=157555&page=4
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=152234&page=5&highlight=Core+Crystal
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=150863&highlight=Core+Crystal&page=23