PDA

View Full Version : Woman Is Nearly Blinded After Trying To Change Eye Color

EmeraldFields
30-08-09, 14:47
Single mother travelled to Panama for operation to turn brown eyes blue... and was almost blinded

When Shenise Farrell read on the internet about a £5,000 operation which could turn her dark brown eyes light blue, she wasted no time in heading off to Panama.

Less than two weeks later, British surgeons were battling to save her sight.
They had to repair a hole in her iris and remove implants. It is unclear whether she will suffer long-term damage – and her eyes are still brown.

‘It was the biggest mistake I have ever made,’ said the single mother of three from Perivale, West London.

‘To think I could have never been able to see my children again. It was totally reckless of me.’

Miss Farrell is taking a community studies degree at Goldsmiths, University of London in the hope of becoming a social worker.

She is believed to be the first person in the UK to undergo such an operation, which involves inserting a coloured lens inside the eye, over the iris, and is not licensed in Europe.

Miss Farrell called the US number of the New Colour Iris company, linked to a clinic in Panama run by a Dr Delary Kahn.

She was told to undergo five tests with opticians in the UK to check she was suitable and then hand over $3,000 (£1,800) deposit and proof of airfare and hotel.

The opticians advised her not to go ahead with the procedure but she raided her savings and flew to Central America in June, telling family she was off on holiday.

‘I’ve already had breast implants abroad in Bulgaria and had been very happy with that, so it didn’t faze me that I would have to go to Panama,’ she said.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/28/article-0-062FEF0A000005DC-682_468x332.jpg
‘The procedure was unpleasant and painful. I screamed out at one point. But it was over within ten minutes and I was taken back to my hotel with just some eye drops and told to buy my own painkillers.’

For the next eight days, her vision remained blurred, particularly in her right eye. When she arrived back at Heathrow, she had to be helped through the terminal because her sight was so poor.

Four days later, with no improvement and after developing a painful sensitivity to light, she called NHS Direct who advised her to go straight to the Western Eye Hospital in Paddington.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/29/article-1209836-06384987000005DC-523_468x325.jpg
They immediately referred her to consultant ophthalmic surgeon Mr Ali Mearza at Charing Cross Hospital.

‘She could barely make out the top letter on the eye chart,’ he said. 'We could have registered her blind.

‘There was no question but to remove the implants which in itself was quite a challenging procedure. I would strongly advise people not to undergo this process.’

Although Mr Mearza managed to save her sight, Miss Farrell might develop cataracts in later life and is at increased risk of glaucoma.

A spokesman for New Colour Iris said that while it sympathised with Miss Farrell, it had carried out more than 600 operations since 2002 with only a handful of complaints. ‘No procedure is perfect,’ he said.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1209836/Woman-travelled-Panama-operation-turn-brown-eyes-blue--blinded.html

Couldn't she have worn colored contacts?:confused:

ShadyCroft
30-08-09, 14:50
or better, be satisfied with her eye color. :)

Nothing wrong with wanting to change something, its just she nearly had a close shave. Something as dangerous as an eye operation ? phew !

Hope she's fine now.

Hermina94
30-08-09, 14:51
Terrible what people go through just to change theirselves...I mean why wasn't she satisfied with her eye colour?
If your born with it,stick with it! :rolleyes:

irjudd
30-08-09, 14:53
My sympathies can be summed up in one word: "Duh."

adventurerLara
30-08-09, 14:54

Exactly, but maybe she wanted to physically have blue eyes instead of wearing false substitutes. Some people will go to extreme lengths to get what they want.

thecentaur
30-08-09, 14:56
Seriously.. The lengths we go to just to become our vision of "perfect." I don't want to castigate her saying she's an idiot because it wasn't "her" that forced her; it was just her greed. I mean colored contacts would've been a perfect alternative for her instead. :(

Hermina94
30-08-09, 14:56
Stupid.

Nannonxyay
30-08-09, 14:57
What an idiot. Why didn't she just buy coloured contact lenses?

Rai
30-08-09, 15:05
Which is why before paying out loads of money for surgery abroad, you should first research the procedure and the surgeons involved. She was advised against this from UK opticians, she was stupid to go ahead. I suppose the surgery to save her sight was on the NHS?

Why would she be so unhappy with her natural eye colour for her to go to such drastic measures? Geez wear contacts for crying out loud. I don't agree with cosmetic surgery for vanity only.

Tonyrobinson
30-08-09, 15:14
When there are coloured contact available for about £5 why'd she change her eye colour in the first place. Well that's what you get if you get something you don't need I guess :p

Alex Fly
30-08-09, 15:15
OMG this is disgusting and I can't believe she accepted this surgery ! :yik:

VictorXD
30-08-09, 15:17
Just like we say in here: "beautiness is curse". So I guess most ppl here are cursed then:p

Marianna12
30-08-09, 15:18
Stupid!:rolleyes:
She could wear contacts! But I don't understand, even if you have eg: brown eyes, it's not THAT bad!!!

LaraCablara
30-08-09, 15:20
Good for her :), flying all the way to Panama to achieve what she wanted.

Tonyrobinson
Blind Mag to the stage, Blind Mag to the stage...

Legends
Well, that is a pretty obvious risk.

Marianna12
30-08-09, 15:22

Not good for her, no! She could be blind!:rolleyes:

Biddy
30-08-09, 15:23
Well this should teach her a little something called risks when going off to commence superficial pursuits, the lengths some people would go to sculpt an image they see as 'ideal'.

drakl0r
30-08-09, 15:23
This is shocking.. I can't believe she is willing to undergo the surgery even after she's advised not to..
Btw, dark brown eyes isn't that bad.. I love mine :p

Lee croft
30-08-09, 15:28
Id never go this far to have blue eyes even though i want blue eyes but id even get scread to but coulored contacts littleown a operation to change the coulor!! :yik:

Joely-Moley
30-08-09, 15:29
That is just complete madness. She is extremely lucky to still have her sight.

rowanlim
30-08-09, 15:31
Gosh.

Some people can make NO sense.

Sir Croft
30-08-09, 15:48
I'd love to change my eye color to green or blue as my mother has blue eyes and I was born with my father's brown eyes. But I'd never be this stupid, I'd never undergo such surgery which I've never heard of and and sounded way too dangerous. Putting lens inside the eyes? Really?

igonge
30-08-09, 15:57
Oh my god *facepalm*

NightWish
30-08-09, 15:59
I can't believe she compared going to Bulgaria to fix her breasts to having a doubtful eye-surgery in Panama. I mean, Bulgaria's plastic surgeons specialize in breast surgery! every single singer or wannabe has breast surgery here! No wonder she had a good job on them. :vlol:And eye surgery in all cases is incredibly risky. The smallest mistake can damage the eyesight even in laser surgery which has been done for a long time!

SamReeves
30-08-09, 16:12
I wonder how bad her boobs look? :whi:

Atlantisfreak666
30-08-09, 16:25
*Facepalm*

Chocola teapot
30-08-09, 16:33
Idiot.

Apathetic
30-08-09, 16:36
..Fail?

TombRaiderCool
30-08-09, 16:48

Indeed. That was my thoughts exactly.

I bet she had beautiful brown eyes too. Heck, I don't particularly like having brown eyes; sometimes I do fancy a change so I usually wear coloured contacts. I would never ever attempt to get my eyes permanently changed colour!

I Need A Map
30-08-09, 16:56
Vanity can be a very bad thing sometimes!:ton:

nickless
30-08-09, 16:56
I wonder how bad her boobs look? :whi:

just google andrea(2 boobjobs),anelia,desislava,emilia,malina ect. bulgarian singer and you will see that it wouldn't be so bad :D

tomblover
30-08-09, 17:00
Point of the story:

Never trust Google Ads. :ton:

Encore
30-08-09, 17:06
I think the woman has got real issues with her ego and her self image, that should be worked out...

EmeraldFields
30-08-09, 17:07
Indeed. That was my thoughts exactly.

I bet she had beautiful brown eyes too. Heck, I don't particularly like having brown eyes; sometimes I do fancy a change so I usually wear coloured contacts. I would never ever attempt to get my eyes permanently changed colour!

Indeed her eyes were beautiful.;)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/28/article-0-062FEE48000005DC-513_233x411.jpg

Dennis's Mom
30-08-09, 17:14
Wow. I won't even have lasik I'm so paranoid about my eyesight. I'm blind as a bat, but just the thought of being that "one in a million" that loses their sight as a result scares me off.

Indiana Croft
30-08-09, 17:15
This Lady is STOOOOOOOOOOPID!

scion05
30-08-09, 17:17
Why didn't she just try coloured contacts ? Not that blue would really work for her...

Indiana Croft
30-08-09, 17:20
Why didn't she just try coloured contacts ? Not that blue would really work for her...

AMEN! Why not Hazel, a lighter brown? Blue would look....um awful. bluntly awful. And forever? I don't think so.

EmeraldFields
30-08-09, 17:22
There is a girl at my high school that puts food coloring in her eye to change the color. :/

NightWish
30-08-09, 17:23
just google andrea(2 boobjobs),anelia,desislava,emilia,malina ect. bulgarian singer and you will see that it wouldn't be so bad :D
What I said
"I can't believe she compared going to Bulgaria to fix her breasts to having a doubtful eye-surgery in Panama. I mean, Bulgaria's plastic surgeons specialize in breast surgery! every single singer or wannabe has breast surgery here! No wonder she had a good job on them. :vlol:And eye surgery in all cases is incredibly risky. The smallest mistake can damage the eyesight even in laser surgery which has been done for a long time!"

IceColdLaraCroft
30-08-09, 17:26
^ :vlol: @ Nightwish

I can understand wanting to have ice blue eyes (as I think they're gorgeous!) but it's GENETICS! If it's too good to be true it probably is.

I told AmericanAssassin last night you get what you pay for (he wanted a cheap nylon trench coat and I talked him into buying the Armani instead)

Rai
30-08-09, 17:30

She didn't get what she wanted, her eyes are still brown. She nearly went blind trying to achieve a change.

EmeraldFields: Food colouring in her eyes? Has your friend ever been told that's a good idea? Ever? What colour is she naturally?

EmeraldFields
30-08-09, 17:38
EmeraldFields: Food colouring in her eyes? Has your friend ever been told that's a good idea? Ever? What colour is she naturally?

Green/Hazel, but she puts red, purple and other colors in her eyes. I think she just discovered it on her own.

I guess it's becoming a trend...

You've got to be kidding me...Long term damage anyone??

There's a new -- and dangerous -- "do-it-yourself" trend. "Food coloring is cheap (and) easy, but it's not meant to be put in contact lenses," said Dr. Kelly Spetalnick, an optometrist. The American Optometric Association has issued a warning, because many children are trying to make their own colored contact lens, using food coloring. "I decided to go green for a while, because it would be more fun," Kristine Alderman, 15, said.

Alderman has a doctor's prescription for colored contacts. They're fitted to her eyes and prescribed for her vision. But that does not matter to some kids. "Some people have asked me for some," she said. "They're like, 'Can we have yours?' and I was like, 'No.'" Using food coloring, borrowing lenses that don't fit and not keeping contacts incredibly clean are all serious risks. "Your body almost attacks the (lenses)," Spetalnick said. "It sees it as a foreign body, which can really snowball into inflammatory processes: corneal ulcers, serious eye infections, and scarring that can be permanent." Experts said that parents should explain to their children the dangers -- infection, inflammation and even permanent scarring -- and then tell them the bottom line. "Your eyes are very sensitive," Spetalnick said. "You're only born with two. If something happens to one of them, you don't get another one."
http://www.curiousread.com/2007/10/new-trend-many-teens-change-eye-color.html

CerebralAssassin
30-08-09, 17:40
extremely retarded thing to do.....

nickless
30-08-09, 17:44
What I said
"I can't believe she compared going to Bulgaria to fix her breasts to having a doubtful eye-surgery in Panama. I mean, Bulgaria's plastic surgeons specialize in breast surgery! every single singer or wannabe has breast surgery here! No wonder she had a good job on them. :vlol:And eye surgery in all cases is incredibly risky. The smallest mistake can damage the eyesight even in laser surgery which has been done for a long time!"

teh surgeons over here are pros :ohn:
i can't believe she compared a boob job to a eye colour change,because if sth went wrong with the first she could just remove the implants and continue with her life.not many vital organs in her breasts.same doesn't go with the second :rolleyes:

*richietrent*
30-08-09, 17:57
Was this woman drunk or on drugs? Why on earth would people do such a thing.

LaraCablara
30-08-09, 18:36
She didn't get what she wanted, her eyes are still brown. She nearly went blind trying to achieve a change.

Obviously I know. But still, she gave it a try.

Hermina94
30-08-09, 18:38
What I said
:vlol:
Your sooo right :D

TRhalloween
30-08-09, 18:39
I don't get it. You can't have an ugly eye colour so why would you change it? :confused: Pretty stupid.

FourBalls
30-08-09, 19:47
Why would anyone want to change their eyecolour? o.O

Minty Mouth
30-08-09, 19:48
Why would anyone want to change their eyecolour? o.O

I know, its such a trivial thing, no one really cares what colour your eyes are :p

Squibbly
30-08-09, 20:05
How foolish. Some people will go to such insane lengths to change themselves.

£5000 surgery? That's nearly $10 000 over here. She could have done something far more important with that money, like I don't know, towards her three children's education or something?

Brainless idiot.

Apathetic
30-08-09, 20:06
I know, its such a trivial thing, no one really cares what colour your eyes are :p

Right? The amount of money she was willing to spend makes me question her sanity.

Nerd For Life
30-08-09, 20:09
Wow. I won't even have lasik I'm so paranoid about my eyesight. I'm blind as a bat, but just the thought of being that "one in a million" that loses their sight as a result scares me off.

I am exactly the same - can't see **** without me glasses on, but I don't think I'll ever do lasik surgery!

There is a girl at my high school that puts food coloring in her eye to change the color. :/

....................wow.

How foolish. Some people will go to such insane lengths to change themselves.

£5000 surgery? That's nearly $10 000 over here. She could have done something far more important with that money, like I don't know, towards her three children's education or something?

Brainless idiot.

My thoughts exactly!

Lemmie
30-08-09, 20:10
Wow. What a fool. I hope she doesn't have any lasting effects from this botched surgery though.

Joely-Moley
30-08-09, 20:15

Brainless idiot.

Exactly!

What's more disturbing is the actual website (http://www.newcoloriris.com/) itself. It appears to be quite a popular procedure.

ShadyCroft
30-08-09, 20:20

I am exactly the same - can't see **** without me glasses on, but I don't think I'll ever do lasik surgery!

I'm going to do lasik soon. Lasik is something very different. Its not as serious as what this girl nearly did. You don't lose your sight from lasik. :)

NightWish
30-08-09, 20:23
I don't get it. You can't have an ugly eye colour so why would you change it? :confused: Pretty stupid.

But there are CONTACTS! Putting an actual lens INSIDE your eye is simply creepy , and the eye is cut before - urgh!

kooky
30-08-09, 20:23
Why in the world would anyone want to change their eyecolor for?! Plastic Surgery to look like another ethnicity or person I can understand, but going as far as changing your eye color is way too much... -_-

FourBalls
30-08-09, 20:30
Exactly. And it's always possible to get contacts. Even if you can see perfectly. So I really...don't...get it. :confused: Ah well.

erosan
30-08-09, 20:31
I'm going to do lasik soon. Lasik is something very different. Its not as serious as what this girl nearly did. You don't lose your sight from lasik. :)

I'd love to have lasik one day because I have very bad eye sight but the surgery itself scares the **** out me =/ Don't they have to cut the top of your eye off ?

GameGlitcher77
30-08-09, 20:34
Stupid.
Your avatar is condradicting this arguement:p:ton::D :vlol:

Super Badnik
30-08-09, 20:34
Wow, people sure are petty and nitpicky about their looks, i mean, changing your eye colour? Why?

Rai
30-08-09, 22:59
Green/Hazel, but she puts red, purple and other colors in her eyes. I think she just discovered it on her own.

I guess it's becoming a trend...

But that's a lovely eye colour. My sister's eyes were that colour. Let's hope your friend sees sense before she damages her eyes.

Nerd For Life
30-08-09, 23:05
Why in the world would anyone want to change their eyecolor for?! Plastic Surgery to look like another ethnicity or person I can understand, but going as far as changing your eye color is way too much... -_-

Lol how is that any less extreme?

Minty Mouth
30-08-09, 23:07
Brainless idiot.
I Love how frank you are :D

Totally true.

She could have even given it to charity.....

raiderfun
30-08-09, 23:26
Terrible what people go through just to change theirselves...I mean why wasn't she satisfied with her eye colour?
If your born with it,stick with it! :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly :)

xXhayleyroxXx
30-08-09, 23:29
oh dear :o

takamotosan
30-08-09, 23:37
Fail

Joely-Moley
30-08-09, 23:49
I still can't even imagine how painful this must have been.
It makes my eyes sting just thinking about it.

Dennis's Mom
31-08-09, 13:17

Oh, I bet they have you sign some form saying that it *might* happen. I have friends who've done it--overseas no less--but I'm just too paranoid.

Good luck. I'm sure it will be good for you. *This is me touching you to take away the ojo.*

scremanie
31-08-09, 13:19
FAIL. l

Super Badnik
31-08-09, 13:28
Is this just ironic coincidence?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/SuperBadnik/Untitled-1.jpg

Phlip
31-08-09, 14:14
^Nope. Adverts are influenced by words used in threads. You'll see a lot of Lara/Tomb raider adverts on this forum.

Super Badnik
31-08-09, 16:41
^Nope. Adverts are influenced by words used in threads. You'll see a lot of Lara/Tomb raider adverts on this forum.I had a feeling. :D

VonCroy360
31-08-09, 17:45

I think I should be worried or something, but I'm actually laughing at how stupid some people are.

As for the woman in the article, I'd understand wanting to go through something like this for the sake of looks if it was a routine thing like lasik, but seriously, the procedure isn't even allowed in Europe? What the hell was she thinking?

tranniversary119
31-08-09, 17:46
I'm so glad my eyes are blue :D

Super Badnik
31-08-09, 17:58
I'm so glad my eyes are blue :DMe too. No surgery for me. :D

Candee Sparks
31-08-09, 18:43
Well that wasn't smart. I'm happy I have green eyes. If I wanted to change that, simply go to your eye doctor and get prescribed colored contacts. It's very easy. :rolleyes:

Fallen.Angel
31-08-09, 18:50
This makes me scared of lasic vision. Hopefully the procedures are two totally different things. :(

Love2Raid
31-08-09, 19:52
Wow. O_o

Just when you think people couldn't get any more stupid.