PDA

View Full Version : Man Slaps Someone Else's Child At Walmart

EmeraldFields
04-09-09, 01:54
Man Arrested for Smacking Child

http://wsbradio.com/images/2009/09/stephens1_m.jpg
A Stone Mountain man is in custody, without bond, for slapping a little girl at the Wal-Mart in Stone Mountain.

Police say 61 year old Roger Stephens was annoyed by the fussing girl, telling the child's mother "If you don't shut that baby up, I'll shut her up for you."

The girl, 2 year old Paige Mathews, continued crying, despite her mother's attempts to calm her down. That's when, according to the mother, Stephens approached them again near the store's freezers and slapped the girl four or five times in the face.

Stephens then told the mother, "See, I told you I would shut her up." He then walked away.

A store shopper confronted Stephens and stopped him until store security arrived.

Stephens reportedly told police that he could not shop because the girl was crying and could not take it anymore.

Charged with felony cruelty to children in the first degree, he remains at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.

Stephens has a prior arrest, on a DUI charge from 1999, but, police say, he's had a clean record since then.

The child had some slight redness to her face. Gwinnett County firefighters evaluated her injuries and released her at the scene.
http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2009/09/man-arrested-for-smacking-chil.html

Why would you hit another person's kid?

Tombraiderx08
04-09-09, 01:57
Oh yes lets slap babies... goodness :mad:

Tony9595
04-09-09, 01:58
Little kids annoy me a lot... but I'd never slap another person's child :mad:

tranniversary119
04-09-09, 02:00
That's ridiculous. He had no right to do that, he could have just walked away.

Peanut
04-09-09, 02:02
If I was that child's Mom I would have slapped him so hard his Grandchildren's faces will be bruised! :smk:

croft94
04-09-09, 02:23
:O

silver_wolf
04-09-09, 02:33
:vlol: oh what an appropriate photo of the guy! honestly, it's almost like he posed! can you imagine a more grumpy, "I will slap your child!" look on a person? :vlol:
oh, and did they really need firefighters to evaluate her "injuries"? I doubt it was that serious, unless the guy used a brick or something.

irjudd
04-09-09, 02:35
Hey Gwinnett county! I go there every year. Sucky place. Lots of business though.

Apathetic
04-09-09, 02:40
:vlol: oh what an appropriate photo of the guy! honestly, it's almost like he posed! can you imagine a more grumpy, "I will slap your child!" look on a person? :vlol:

:vlol: I know, right?!!!

takamotosan
04-09-09, 02:53
He looks like the old guy from Dennis the Menace :vlol:

What a douchebag. I would have kneed him in the groin.

Mokono
04-09-09, 03:01
Jail him up, no one must touch anyone's children.

Dia2blo
04-09-09, 03:12
He looks a bit like Harrison Ford :p but seriously why would you even do that?? I mean he could have just walked off! If i was the mother i would have punched him flat on the nose!

SamReeves
04-09-09, 03:13
Nope. I do scowl a lot though. ;)

Big Matt
04-09-09, 03:17
Firstly, if a two year old is crying it's usually because they have a reason to do so. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to hit a two year old. Second, I wonder if he would have been so eager to step up out of his place and exercise his stupid brand of discipline on a child that was sitting in the shopping cart of some oversized unfriendly looking dude such as myself. Because most child abusers are cowards at heart, my guess is he wouldn't.

If he was actually that deficient in the common sense department, he might find himself wondering why his hand were no longer attached to his wrist and trying to figure out how he was going to dislodge it from his throat so that he could replenish the dwindling supply of air in his lungs.

Sorry to be crude but, you don't hit babies and you keep your hands off of other people's kids.

miss.haggard
04-09-09, 03:32
Im not for this, slapping a random child, but that lady should have obvioulsy either removed herself and the kid from the store, or tried a little harder to "shut that baby up."

Just for the record, I have nothing against spanking children in public.

Flame on... I can take it! :mis:

scremanie
04-09-09, 03:51
I hate children.. especially the annoying ones http://i27.************/2805nye.jpg

But I would never hit one... unless it was in self defense... http://i27.************/2805nye.jpg

miss.haggard
04-09-09, 03:59
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZ3q2ZJiaUk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZ3q2ZJiaUk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tony9595
04-09-09, 04:01
↑ You embedded a youtube video?! :yik:
That's amazing :eek:

I never could without the [youtube] thingy :eek:

miss.haggard
Was that sarcasm? Im feeling a trap here...

TRLegendLuver
Little kids annoy me a lot... but I'd never slap another person's child :mad:

Agreed.

Survival
04-09-09, 04:02
:vlol: He looks exactly like that always angry gyus who chase kids off their front porch with shotgun :D

Mokono
04-09-09, 04:03
I have nothing against spanking children in public.

I won't ask your motives (the topic is way old and it's thread still exists), but here there's a different situation: it's not the man's daughter.

And just before someone says: "Does being his daughter would qualify to get her beaten anyways?", i'll just step forward to what i said in the other line (about the spanking topic being ancient), because "corrective methods" (no matter what oppinions anyone can found to think it's either an appropriate method) are a parent business, no random people in stores.

PS: What a bad photography shoop, the guy's face was conveniently chosen in that expression... Also the story missed the context in wich the action developed. I've seen 2 years old and younger children grabbing random thing while being carried by their parents and threw it to the floor. Parents that knows how bad their kids can behave would avoid such situations easily, wich actually doesn't justify the action taken by the man (who i also think should get jailed up before he uses his force to harm another kid).

Tony9595
04-09-09, 04:05
Was that sarcasm? Im feeling a trap here...

No, it's not a sarcasm. Everytime I try to post a video here I have to put Code_of_the_video

I never could do it, the way you did :)

miss.haggard
04-09-09, 04:07
I won't ask your motives (the topic is way old and it's thread still exists), but here there's a different situation: it's not the man's daughter.

And just before someone says: "Does being his daughter would qualify to get her beaten anyways?", i'll just step forward to what i said in the other line (about the spanking topic being ancient), because "corrective methods" (no matter what oppinions anyone can found to think it's either an appropriate method) are a parent business, no random people in stores.

PS: What a bad photography shoop, the guy's face was conveniently chosen in that expression... Also the story missed the context in wich the action developed. I've seen 2 years old and younger children grabbing random thing while being carried by their parents and threw it to the floor. Parents that knows how bad their kids can behave would avoid such situations easily, wich actually doesn't justify the action taken by the man (who i also think should get jailed up before he uses his force to harm another kid).

Whoa, I didnt mean for him to spank the child. The kid may or may not have been overreacting, I havent been around too many 2 year olds, I dont know what motivates them to cry. But obviously the kid was annoying other patrons, if I was the mother, I would have removed me and my child from the store until she calmed down. And if she kept crying, if she deserved it, I would spank her, dont care whos watching.

Edit - but who knows, we dont know what the situation was, I know when I hear a crying child in my local Wally World, and the parent is not doing much to stop them crying, I wish they would spank them. And at times they have, and the kid will shut up.

TONY - but thats the way I did it... ???

pneboy
04-09-09, 04:16
when im out, and i have some stupid parents with a crying babynext to me , i allways tell them to shut the brat up
its my free time why should i have to work long hours and have to put up with 5 minutes of some stupid crying
i say good justice from this man

Paddy
04-09-09, 04:25
Lock him up and let everyone slap the **** out of him lol.

SpaceChild
04-09-09, 04:26
This one hits a raw nerve with me.... But first things first: there are two entirely separate issues here. 1.) physically striking someone else's kid and 2.) zero discipline in today's parentage.

#1 - The guy was clearly out of line, though it sounds like the charges filed against him are trumped-up, heavy-handed and unreasonable. All the same, you don't get to hit other people's kids, period - unless you're a teacher, and I'll get to that.

What he should have done if he wanted to vent is to have gotten right in the kid's face and yelled "Shut Up!" or something, then turned to the "parent" and yelled "Discipline your !%#*&%!# brat!" 'No law against yelling, even if people think it's rude.

#2 - However, I think our entire society and unfortunately its laws, have gone way, way off the rails with punishing child discipline by parents and teachers. There is no discipline any more. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've witnessed some insufferably spoiled brat screaming at the top of his/her lungs in public, while mommy and/or daddy just stand there smiling vacantly, or issuing an occasional and invariably ignored "Will you please stop now, Johnny?"

Far worse yet are those idiot parents who allow their kids to actually hit them, with no consequences whatsoever.

When I was a kid I was taught very, very early on the basics of public behavior, specifically, Crying In Public 101. If you fall on your face or bump your head on something, then it's ok to wail. If you're mad at mommy for not buying that candy bar or random toy and you're screaming in rage, then you're in big trouble. At the bottom of the lesson was a basic rule that was iron-clad and non-negotiable: You do not act up in public. Period.

Even deeper than that, a rule that was as good as etched in carbide steel plating: If you, the kid, ever hit your parents, ever, for any reason and under any circumstances, then prepare to suffer The Wrath Of God.

Roughly 50% of the "parents" I see in public today are not raising their kids, they're being raised by their kids. It's disgusting. When I see some kid screaming in rage at an ear-splitting pitch with no negative consequences, it's like the "parent" is walking around with a great big neon sign above his/her head that says "I'm too damned stupid to be raising a gerbil, much less a kid, but I am anyway..hyuk." These people ought to be ashamed of themselves and ridiculed publicly for the monster they're engineering that will one day be unleashed upon society as a sociopathic, out-of-control adult.

But that still doesn't give anyone the right to strike someone else's kid, no matter how tempting. An exception to this ought to be, but isn't, school teachers. Teachers are surrogate parents, really, and ought to be granted whatever leave the parents choose to grant in disciplining the kid those parents place under that teacher's instruction - and the government at every level should just butt the hell out.

I now yield the soapbox to...

EmeraldFields
04-09-09, 04:36
What he should have done if he wanted to vent is to have gotten right in the kid's face and yelled "Shut Up!" or something, then turned to the "parent" and yelled "Discipline your !%#*&%!# brat!" 'No law against yelling, even if people think it's rude.

They might be able to charge you with disturbing the peace or remove you from the store if you went on a yelling rant.:p

Olabelle
04-09-09, 04:56
Everyone's had to deal with parents and their screaming hellspawn at some point when they're out and about. I was having dinner with my family one night, and this couple sat there with their child screaming for a good solid hour. They were completely ignoring her and not even trying to calm her down. Finally my ex went over there and told them to take the child out because they were disturbing everyone else in the place. And they had the nerve to act offended and harrassed.

But regardless of how annoying it is, you don't lay a hand on someone else's kid. Feel free to say something, yes, but that's not your kid, you don't have the right to punish them.

I hope this guy gets hit right between the eyes with the law. He has it coming.

Drone
04-09-09, 05:00
slapping a little girl? What a son of a *****. Hope someone will kick him in da balls :wve:

EternoD
04-09-09, 05:05
oh. my. god. this is so jacked up!

Big Matt
04-09-09, 05:31
Spanking is certainly a valid method of disciplining children. Spanking has, after all, been one of the preferred means of discipline for thousands of years. It is my opinion though, that on a two year old, anything beyond superficial taps on the bottom is inappropriate. I have nothing against spanking as a disciplinary measure as long as it doesn't become physical abuse (it can and often does).

I can say that, growing up, my two brothers and I were a pretty rough trio. If my father had not been willing to give us spankings for our misbehavior it would have perpetuated and we would have eventually run roughshod over him. He did spank us and so we learned to behave and to have respect for him.

Hitting a child in the face, however, isn't appropriate -- especially a two year old, especially someone else's two year old. Most mature human beings have pretty well caught on to the fact that children, especially two year old's, are going to cry, often loudly, at highly inconvenient times. In fact, most mature human beings are smart enough to understand this and to keep their noses out of other people's business. They have enough self control to ignore the child or to leave and let the parent deal (or not deal) with it as they see fit.

scremanie
04-09-09, 05:45
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZ3q2ZJiaUk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZ3q2ZJiaUk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL!!

I love that skit! :D

ShadyCroft
04-09-09, 08:44
I don't believe spanking is the solution, but then again, I don't believe there is a certain method for discipline.

Kids are different from one another. You have to know exactly what works out for him/her in a positive way...not to spank a child and to instill fear in him or her, neither is to sweet talk and to install dependency or carelessness or anything else.

As for what the guy did...First of all, he left his own private perimeter and trespassed on some one else's, he did not mind his own business.

When he did not mind his own business, he resorted to violence, instead of asking the lady politely to do something like take the kid outside or something.

And he hit someone else's child ! :eek:

Ikas90
04-09-09, 09:02
Slapping your own child is ridiculous enough.

tonyme
04-09-09, 09:14
Oh my God, this is so cruel! :( Who would actually do something like that!

Paddy
04-09-09, 09:39

Indeed, but when it comes to disciplining your own child by spanking, I wont say whether I agree with it or not because I for one benefited from it when I did naughty **** when I was little, I aint speaking on anyone else behalf but thats just my view.

TR love
04-09-09, 09:49
OMG! SHE IS ONLY 2 MAN!

thats horrible!

tombraiderluka
04-09-09, 09:57
You should even hit your own children.. but the other people's aswell? Shame for society.

P.S That man has a face of a child slapper, he looks slapped himself.. :mad:

btw.. Paige Matthews? :vlol: A charmed fan :hug:

interstellardave
04-09-09, 10:44
I can't condone his actions, but I know how he may have felt. I was in a Target one day in the videogame section and this kid (not 2 years, maybe 7 or 8 years old) just was going off in the worst way imaginable. Crying, shouting, whining at such a volume, and so constantly for what seemed an eternity that I thought I was going to lose my damn mind! The father never did or said a thing... which I found to be incredibly rude on his part. If you can't or won't control your child then at least leave the store!

I went from having a really nice day to having a ferocious headache--all in about 15 minutes' time. :mad:

Larapink
04-09-09, 10:54
That is wrong and he shouldn't have hit a child who he doesn't know. I hope the parents of the child sue his arse!

LightningRider
04-09-09, 11:00
The picture tells it all.

:p

viper456
04-09-09, 11:02
Right, 2 things; Not his child and also NOT ACROSS THE FACE! What an old interfering *******!! I don't think a firm "smack" on a child's leg or backside is out of the question, but its a parent's choice and responsibility and you certainly wouldn't hit a 2 year old. You do not touch another person's kid!! You just don't! What sort of person does something like that?

irjudd
04-09-09, 12:42
... What sort of person does something like that?

A grumpy old SOB in Georgia, apparently. :p

Legend of Lara
04-09-09, 12:50
Paige Mathews

Couldn't she just orb away or call Leo? :p

xXhayleyroxXx
04-09-09, 12:59
This is disgusting and unjust.

If i were the mum id grab a shopping basket and whack him in the face really hard and hope he'd pass out.

CrypticDream
04-09-09, 13:15

If i were the mum id grab a shopping basket and whack him in the face really hard and hope he'd pass out.

Sassy.. :ohn:
Anyway..
Yeah. It's wrong, not his kid, like a majority above me has said. :wve:

xXhayleyroxXx
04-09-09, 13:24
Sassy.. :ohn:
Anyway..
Yeah. It's wrong, not his kid, like a majority above me has said. :wve:

lmao yep :cln: getting badass with the shopping basket :ton:

Ilie_Fusarau
04-09-09, 13:28
Little kids annoy me a lot... but I'd never slap another person's child :mad:Indeed little kids are BOTH annoying and awesome :) , I could never hit a kid especially a kid that young (2 yrs) :eek: , no matter if it was mine or not .

**LARA LOVER**
04-09-09, 13:30
I herd about this! JUST RIDICULES! :mad:

Explorer
04-09-09, 13:30

LOL if the wind changes, he will stay like that :p

Nemo_91
04-09-09, 13:32
What an idiot.

VictorXD
04-09-09, 13:33
What a stupid thing to do... he is the one who should be ***** slaped!

Monari
04-09-09, 13:36
:vlol: He looks exactly like that always angry gyus who chase kids off their front porch with shotgun :D
:vlol:

He would deserve to get his :cen: kicked. :ohn:

Phlip
04-09-09, 13:38
Old fashioned ****wit.

LightningRider
04-09-09, 13:49

Haley is The Sass Master! :ohn:

xXhayleyroxXx
04-09-09, 13:57
Haley is The Sass Master! :ohn:

haha i feel so honoured :cln::ton:

Lara's Nemesis
04-09-09, 14:21
The guy must have something wrong with him mentally to do such a thing.

Kelly Craftman
04-09-09, 14:24
i wouldn't even slap my own kids, experly someone else's!

This man is messed up!

adventurerLara
04-09-09, 14:26
The mother was trying to calm down the kid, therefore he had no right to interfere.

Tony9595
04-09-09, 14:54
Oh man! I should use this as my next avatar
It already meets the requirements :p

The child slapper :p

Kelly Craftman
04-09-09, 14:55
Oh man! I should use this as my next avatar
It already meets the requirements :p

The child slapper :p

:vlol:

Encore
04-09-09, 15:01

I can think of a few situations were I felt like it. :tea:
But I would never do it.

woody543
04-09-09, 15:05
I would never slap a child, no matter how much they drive me insane, but this is a perfect example how society has changed.

Years ago if someone slapped your child you would punish the child for embarresing the family.

IceColdLaraCroft
04-09-09, 15:05
This is why you should never go to Walmart...that and the horrible policies for their own employees, the exploitation of children to make their clothing and the fact that food+clothes/home furniture do NOT belong in the same air

Tony9595
04-09-09, 15:07
This is why you should never go to Walmart...

And to think I go there every week :eek:
I'd better not cry there, or a man like this one will suddenly appear and slap me :(

----------------

It still amazes me how could he slap a 2 YEARS OLD!! kid... that's insane :mad:

TombRaiderCool
04-09-09, 16:02
He looks like a right bruiser! :vlol:

My thoughts exactly. Little children crying when you are out somewhere, trying to listen/do something can be seriously annoying but I would never even think of slapping a child especially at such a young age. Him knowing the child can't fight back (or at least very well), what a cowardly thing to do. I hope he gets his just desserts.

Chocola teapot
04-09-09, 16:12
Lmao! What?

miss.haggard
04-09-09, 16:17
I can say that, growing up, my two brothers and I were a pretty rough trio. If my father had not been willing to give us spankings for our misbehavior it would have perpetuated and we would have eventually run roughshod over him. He did spank us and so we learned to behave and to have respect for him.

Mmmhmm, perfect example - my husband Leos family. 3 boys, 3 girls. In short, boys were always spanked, girls were never spanked. Boys always got the "you just wait till your father gets home!" Girls cried, and got hugged. Boys end up being good working individuals, that respect their parents. And unfortunately all 3 of the girls are involved with men who use drugs, drink (maybe underage) and have no respect for their parents. Its sad, and has just reminded me how much spanking actually does.

LaraRules81
04-09-09, 16:18
:eek: The girl was called Paige Matthews...

---

How cruel can you get?! I hear kids in the shop cry and winge, but to act like that is pathetic.

Rai
04-09-09, 16:33
It's totally inappropriate for someone to slap someone else's child, and around the face :yik:. He had no right to interfere. If a parent smacks a child on the legs or whatever that is their choice. No child should be slapped in the face.

Small children cry, especially at that age as they can't always easily show that something is wrong. The child wasn't having a tantrum from what I understand from the article. She could have had a stomach ache, so her mother's attempts to calm her won't work. The little girl may not have been misbehaving, so did not deserve punishing.

Yes children crying can be annoying, and it must have been embarrassing for the mother, but why should she leave the store? Like her crying toddler is shameful somehow? She may have wanted to leave but was undecided as she also had stuff to do. And it would have been horrible to have some grissly old man yell at you to shut your child up.

On a side note, love the little girl's name. :p

toxicraider
04-09-09, 16:51
:eek:
Oh gosh, if you had to be so intolerant, surely you would pehaps make a snide remark and walk away, but to slap the child? But it's not necessarily anybody's fault a 2 year old girl is upset, and hadn't got what she wanted. I mean, it's not like the child was spoilt or anything, because she was only 2, madness.

Sir Croft
04-09-09, 16:52
I'd like to see him try to slap that girl if her father were there.

RAID
04-09-09, 16:53
Serves him right. :tmb:

Tony9595
04-09-09, 18:10
I just saw this...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbPZXdSiK3o&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbPZXdSiK3o&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Super Badnik
04-09-09, 18:14
Wow. Most of us get annoyed at babies crying, but this is a little OTT. :eek:

tomblover
04-09-09, 18:18
I read about this on YouTube. WTF. :confused:

I mean, I fantasize about literally keeling screaming little brats on the subway train, but I'd not even touch them! He ain't right in the head!

jackles
04-09-09, 19:12
Kids cry etc....but sorry, if somebody laid a hand on my child I would not be responsible for my actions. Imagine yourself being 2ft tall and some great big outr of control adult man slapping you in the face. It is utterly disgusting.

AmericanAssassin
04-09-09, 19:30
I feel horrible, but I laughed.

spikejones
04-09-09, 20:26

Hit - no. pop them on the rear or slap their hand if they get too far out of line and the mother does nothing about it - sure.

BTW.. if someone ever did something like that to MY child - he'd get punched out quick like.