PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Sgt BOMBULOUS
04-09-09, 02:34
Ok... I'm sure by now the regulars here have seen my posts. I'm new here, and while not new to Tomb Raider, I have to confess that the only two I've ever played are TR1 and TRA. I played TR1 when I was in the Army 10 years ago, I sort of dropped out of games for quite a long time after that. Some totally random string of events brought me back to TR1, and eventually TRA.

So my question... What are the rest like? When I read the description of TR2 and TR3, they sounded like they'd pale in comparison to the original. I guess it's just the different venues, but anyway in order to play TR2 and TR3 I'd have to get my hands on the Playstation copies, which is probably easy via ebay or something. Does anyone recommend PC vs PS1 for TR2 & TR3? Those are my only options, though I think I read somewhere you need a work-around for the older ones since they're designed to run in DOS.

Thanks!

EscondeR
04-09-09, 09:18
I recommend you to play all the Classics - TR1 - TR5 (+Gold levels) :tmb:

No way TR2 and TR3 are pale compared to TR1. TRL/TRA on the other hand are invisibly transparent in comparison with Classics.

pete_h
04-09-09, 10:12
Compared to the original Tomb Raider, TR2 and TR3 shift the balance away from puzzles and towards combat with other human enemies. But they look fantastic, have wonderful environments, and are great fun to play.

Pete

Explorer
04-09-09, 13:05
Ok... I'm sure by now the regulars here have seen my posts. I'm new here, and while not new to Tomb Raider, I have to confess that the only two I've ever played are TR1 and TRA. I played TR1 when I was in the Army 10 years ago, I sort of dropped out of games for quite a long time after that. Some totally random string of events brought me back to TR1, and eventually TRA.

So my question... What are the rest like? When I read the description of TR2 and TR3, they sounded like they'd pale in comparison to the original. I guess it's just the different venues, but anyway in order to play TR2 and TR3 I'd have to get my hands on the Playstation copies, which is probably easy via ebay or something. Does anyone recommend PC vs PS1 for TR2 & TR3? Those are my only options, though I think I read somewhere you need a work-around for the older ones since they're designed to run in DOS.

Thanks!

I should first say welcome to the forum :wve:

Don't worry about not playing the other games, there a lot of members who haven't for one reason or another. With the exception of the demos, I've not played Crystal's games for example.

Only played the PC versions so can't say much on which to choose out of PS or PC. As you say TR2 and TR3 are in different venues, and because they depart from the usual 'tomb' environments (particularly TR3) they are sometimes considered not really Tomb raider. But really they are just different. Personally I like Lara exploring different environments. Another difference as already mentioned is that there are a lot more human enemies then there were in the first game.

rr_carroll
04-09-09, 14:03
The PC has more-detailed images; PS has more music I've heard, though I always play on PC and don't feel deprived (of course I don't know what I'm missing).

On PC, TR1 requires a lot of work-around, but the Technical Support forum here leads you through it step-by-step. The other classics can have a few problems fixed by installing a patch or 2 from tombraiderchronicles.com.

Do you know how to find all the old posts? Go to the lower right of any page, where you see this:

Contact Us - www.tombraiderforums.com - Archive - Top

Click on "Archive" there (please don't post in old threads). There is a lot of arguing about the merits of each game.

MisterCroft
04-09-09, 16:13
I would reccomend playing TR2 & 3 on the PC, with a PC gamepad(you can use the keyboard, but much easier with a gamepad). I bought my PC copies from Amazon. But now i have seen that mastertronic are selling TR1,2,3 & 4 in one pack.

http://www.mastertronic.com/

On PC you will need the Tomb Raider multi patch, available from here.

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr2/fixes.html

TR2 and 3 are the best games in the series imo, have fun whatever you decide, you lucky devil :p

Mytly
04-09-09, 18:22
For TR3 at least, I recommend you get the PC version, since the PS one has a very restrictive saving system, whereas in the PC version you can save anywhere and any amount of times. Also, if you interested in the Gold add-on levels, the add-ons for TR1 & TR2 can be downloaded for free, but only if you have the PC version.