PDA

View Full Version : Best gig ever?

remote91
07-09-09, 11:12
So what's the best gig you've ever been to and why?

Mine must have been last night when I finally saw Tori Amos, I was speechless throughout the entire set, absolutely outstanding performer, her voice was beautiful and her piano playing is actually out of this world, she must be a robot.http://www.blogto.com/upload/2009/08/20090811_ToriAmos2.jpg

Lee croft
07-09-09, 11:20
When i went to P!nk's fun house tour in may!!! :yah:

oh yeah i forgot the why....because i was 3 rows from the front and she made us laugh and was just amazing!!

scoopy_loopy
07-09-09, 11:26
When i went to P!nk's fun house tour in may!!! :yah:
My mum and her friends went to that when she came to Australia. Apparently it was awesome. But there were loads of... large women in comfy shoes, shall we say? :vlol:

TRenTIs
07-09-09, 11:32
The only gig that I've ever been to was a Spice Girls tribute band. I loved it.

(I was 8)

scoopy_loopy
07-09-09, 11:38
Ah TRenTIs, was there ever any hope you could be straight? :D

TRenTIs
07-09-09, 11:57
^That was a little harsh.
(And no, I really don't think so)

scoopy_loopy
07-09-09, 12:04
^That was a little harsh.
(And no, I really don't think so)

My apologies... :pi:

:hug: :mis:

Lee croft
07-09-09, 12:06
Ah TRenTIs, was there ever any hope you could be straight? :D

your really RUDE

http://i31.************/2larmep.jpg

john_york
07-09-09, 12:06
Hmmm... best gig I ever went to.

Daniel Bedingfield was very good, and I met him afterwards, so that was quite cool.

And Mark Owen was FANTASTIC. He played at a tiny venue in York just before Take That got back together. Loved it. Think I'd have to go with the Mark Owen one as the best one :D

on a more 'uber-gay' not, the STEPS concerts I went to see were pretty damned cool too! :o

Lee croft
07-09-09, 12:07
Hmmm... best gig I ever went to.

Daniel Bedingfield was very good, and I met him afterwards, so that was quite cool.

:yik: lucky

john_york
07-09-09, 12:09
:yik: lucky

Nah, just sad - we hung around the stage door afterwards!

Lee croft
07-09-09, 12:11
Nah, just sad - we hung around the stage door afterwards!

who cares its Daniel Bedingfield!!...id do it :pi:

Saphyre
07-09-09, 12:17
Well i've only been to 2 gigs. The first one was a Will Young & Gareth Gates concert, (I was abt 10 ish) the second was girls Alouds tangled up tour. (just last year)

Girls aloud won by a mile.

scoopy_loopy
07-09-09, 12:26
your really RUDE

http://i31.************/2larmep.jpg

Its "you're" - and, no, Im not :tea:

Encore
07-09-09, 12:54
Probably Tool.
Amazing combination of out-of-this-world music and trance inducing visual effects. :tmb:

http://i31.************/30kxgep.jpg
http://i28.************/17g80o.jpg

Spong
07-09-09, 13:28
Call me old but I can't think of anything worse than going to a concert. I prefer listening to music in the comfort of my place, knowing I'm not going to be ripped off for the pleasure. Plus there's other people at a concert, and other people are idiots. Plus they're all dancing around like the idiots they are, I don't do dancing. Plus it's too noisy, I like loud music, but only loud enough to annoy the old hag who lives next door to me.

Fair play to you lot who love it though, I'm sure sacrificing your hearing is a small price to pay :D;)

Encore
07-09-09, 13:53
Call me old but I can't think of anything worse than going to a concert.

http://i31.************/ogvsip.jpg

scoopy_loopy
07-09-09, 13:54
Actually, I cant say the idea of going to gigs appeals to me much either.

Encore
07-09-09, 13:54
Yeah but.... Let's just say I can think of about 10.495 things that are worst than that.

Spong
07-09-09, 13:55
http://i31.************/ogvsip.jpg

http://cdnll-0.liveleak.com/u/thumbs/2009/Mar/17/1878513_208_avatar.jpg

Admles
07-09-09, 14:00
2004 The Eagles Farewell I Tour

Over 3.5 hours of playing, BEST SHOW EVER

Although Christina Aguilera live was fantastic as well

xx_Hunt_xx
07-09-09, 14:01
U2 :) Was so amazing!
I loved every single moment of it!

Lee croft
07-09-09, 14:10
U2 :) Was so amazing!
I loved every single moment of it!

my sister said it wasnt as good as she hoped :ton:

Spong
07-09-09, 14:13
I saw a Christian rock group at my local church when I was about 15. Does that count? :o

xx_Hunt_xx
07-09-09, 14:32
my sister said it wasnt as good as she hoped :ton:

Well she sucks...and if it was the London concert yes it wasnt that good. I saw clips of it. But the Sheffield one was amazing. That and the Cardiff ones where incredible! :D

Encore
07-09-09, 14:58
2004 The Eagles Farewell I Tour

Over 3.5 hours of playing, BEST SHOW EVER

OMG... Sounds amazing!

Nerd For Life
07-09-09, 15:00
The Cure. Over 3 hours of concert. Fabulous, indeed.

Lee croft
07-09-09, 15:10
Well she sucks...and if it was the London concert yes it wasnt that good. I saw clips of it. But the Sheffield one was amazing. That and the Cardiff ones where incredible! :D

you suck :ton:

Encore
07-09-09, 15:16
The Cure. Over 3 hours of concert. Fabulous, indeed.

It's amazing when bands do that, it's actually one of the reasons why I don't like watching my favourite bands on festivals. They usually only play like one hour, with rare exceptions. I saw Tool two times and the first time was in a festival, the second time (stand alone) they played 3 times longer.

Nerd For Life
07-09-09, 15:18
It's amazing when bands do that, it's actually one of the reasons why I don't like watching my favourite bands on festivals. They usually only play like one hour, with rare exceptions. I saw Tool two times and the first time was in a festival, the second time (stand alone) they played 3 times longer.

Yes, I'm no big fan of festivals either. Plus, if 'my' band is not the most popular or wanted one, they play for even less time. Concerts are always a better choice. :D Did you get your Rammstein tickets?

Nemo_91
07-09-09, 15:18
I saw Nightwish last year. It was such an amazing experience! :tmb: Anette was great live.

Joely-Moley
07-09-09, 15:19
I've been so to so many great gigs, so it's hard to narrow it down.

I think it would have to be Anti-flag/The unseen together in 06. Two of my favourite bands, the atmosphere was amazing.

I don't know if it counts, but Leeds festival last year was amazing, even though I ended up passing out and missing Rage Against the Machine.

scion05
07-09-09, 15:30
How did I know you'd make a thread like this... any videos... ? :ton:

I'd say Madonna in Manchester was the best. I'd seen her the year before right up at the front in Cardiff, but she seemed cold, dark and the crowd were quite half-arsed. Stadium sound is never amazing anyway. In Manchester however she was absolutely spectacular, I cannot explain to you just how good she was... her voice was DEAD on perfect, she was all smiles... infact she even had the men at the front take off their shirts, and one of them through them at her... " Oh my god! " :vlol:

I'll upload a video later. This year I was up in the gods though this year so it's not amazing footage but it captures the atmosphere.

I also think KylieX2008 was an amazing concert, Kylie is just lovely... anyone who thinks Kylie can't sing can go play on the motorway... :D

Angel666
07-09-09, 16:38
I saw Elvis Costello in 08 I believe and that was amazing. I saw Blitzen Trapper w/ Alela Diane opening for them and that was really awesome. I got to meet her afterward. :) I think my favorite would have to be when I saw Jenny Lewis this past July. We were front row and made eye contact with Jenny Lewis. Eye contact!!! :yah:

scion05
07-09-09, 16:54
Eye contact is always spectacular... Kylie eye contact, Posh eye contact, Madonna eye contact. Loved them all.

irjudd
07-09-09, 17:01
I saw these old guys with beards playing banjo once.

jackles
07-09-09, 17:05
My best gig ever was The Smiths back in the eighties, when I spent an entire gig holding Morrisseys ankles. (he had paisley socks on) He shimmied up and down the whole time with me firmly attached. :D Now that took skill....he didn't miss a beat.

Angel666
07-09-09, 17:16
My best gig ever was The Smiths back in the eighties, when I spent an entire gig holding Morrisseys ankles. (he had paisley socks on) He shimmied up and down the whole time with me firmly attached. :D Now that took skill....he didn't miss a beat.

JEALOUS. I almost got to go see Morrissey solo but I already had plans for the date and no way to get there. :(

"I saw these old guys with beards playing banjo once"

@irjudd: Well that's to be expected in South Carolina honey. :p It wasn't at a fourth of july party was it? :pi:

badboy70
07-09-09, 17:18
Call me old but I can't think of anything worse than going to a concert. I prefer listening to music in the comfort of my place, knowing I'm not going to be ripped off for the pleasure. Plus there's other people at a concert, and other people are idiots. Plus they're all dancing around like the idiots they are, I don't do dancing. Plus it's too noisy, I like loud music, but only loud enough to annoy the old hag who lives next door to me.

Fair play to you lot who love it though, I'm sure sacrificing your hearing is a small price to pay :D;)
Isn't that the point of going to a concert, meating new (idiot) people and just hanging arund with your friends instead of listening to music on your own? :p

And my hearing is still perfectly fine while i go to a lot of parties. I can still perfectly hear the music through my earbuds using my phone on the very lowest volume setting my phone offers (meaning that I put the general output to the lowest and the MP3 playing softare to the lowest seetting aswell) :)

One of my favourite gigs was "Clubsteppin' : Strictly Dubstep" featuring Rusko and Caspa

fIBPrpEFvX0
Caspa is singing at 0:40 and Rusko is playing the tunes.
It was totally awesome.
For parties, I think Fos Goes Bananas is one of the best ones yet.

Last year's edition:
lmityk5CW88
lmityk5CW88

Angel666
07-09-09, 17:21
I don't understand not liking concerts. :p Thats all me and my friends do for fun. :D To each their own I guess. Easier for me to get good seats. :pi:

Spong
07-09-09, 17:22
Isn't that the point of going to a concert, meating new (idiot) people and just hanging arund with your friends instead of listening to music on your own? :p

I guess it's a case of horses for courses. I don't like being around a lot of people I don't know (regardless of the common interest) and I like it even less when I'm surrounded by them. As for friends, none of mine even listen to music on the regular basis I do. Which in many ways is a shame, that would increase my chances of going to a concert.

remote91
07-09-09, 17:24
How did I know you'd make a thread like this... any videos... ? :ton:

I'd say Madonna in Manchester was the best. I'd seen her the year before right up at the front in Cardiff, but she seemed cold, dark and the crowd were quite half-arsed. Stadium sound is never amazing anyway. In Manchester however she was absolutely spectacular, I cannot explain to you just how good she was... her voice was DEAD on perfect, she was all smiles... infact she even had the men at the front take off their shirts, and one of them through them at her... " Oh my god! " :vlol:

I'll upload a video later. This year I was up in the gods though this year so it's not amazing footage but it captures the atmosphere.

I also think KylieX2008 was an amazing concert, Kylie is just lovely... anyone who thinks Kylie can't sing can go play on the motorway... :D
Haha, am I THAT predictable? And my camera was playing up, so I couldn't record any videos or take any decent photos, but this is my favourite blurry picture :p

http://************/r/fu876t/3

Some people have posted a couple of videos on youtube, but none of the stand out moments yet, she did a lot of stuff with the band, but then had a section mid set called 'Lizard Lounge' and she did some solo stuff with the piano, it was amazing.

And I was stewarding 2 of those Kylie concerts, remember? :p

scion05
07-09-09, 17:27
I know, and I still didn't get to discretely figure out who you are :pi: I think that photo is stunning btw, really pretty... without the blur it'd totally suck though, I think it adds to it.

How did you find Kylie when you saw her ? Where you like the guy I had at Madonna, who just watched her lol.

Angel666
07-09-09, 17:27
Most of the shows I've been to haven't allowed cameras inside so I, unfortunately, have no pictures. :( I don't have a camera anymore though so it doesn't really matter.

scion05
07-09-09, 17:31
Here's one photo from Madonna in Manchester, they generally all sucked... last year I had photos from upclose in Cardiff, but lost them, it's a long pain ful story I'm not going into...

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6228/editedm.jpg

remote91
07-09-09, 17:40
I know, and I still didn't get to discretely figure out who you are :pi: I think that photo is stunning btw, really pretty... without the blur it'd totally suck though, I think it adds to it.

How did you find Kylie when you saw her ? Where you like the guy I had at Madonna, who just watched her lol.
Haha one day we can have a reveal to each other!

I thought Kylie put on a fantastic show, I'm not a fan but I was entertained throughout the show and the fans went crazy for her :D
Most of the shows I've been to haven't allowed cameras inside so I, unfortunately, have no pictures. :( I don't have a camera anymore though so it doesn't really matter.
I've learned that it's best to just enjoy the show :p
Here's one photo from Madonna in Manchester, they generally all sucked... last year I had photos from upclose in Cardiff, but lost them, it's a long pain ful story I'm not going into...

It's okay, you don't need to go into the heartbreak :hug: :p

scion05
07-09-09, 17:45
IT WAS HEARTBREAKING lol. :ton:
Who was the worst live performer you ever saw at the M.E.N then ?

Haha one day we can have a reveal to each other!

Sounds. So. Wrong. :p

Angel666
07-09-09, 17:47
H

I've learned that it's best to just enjoy the show :p

Indeed. :) This thread is making me itch to go to a show. :P *runs to check tours*

remote91
07-09-09, 17:59
IT WAS HEARTBREAKING lol. :ton:
Who was the worst live performer you ever saw at the M.E.N then ?

Sounds. So. Wrong. :p
Lmao.

And I only worked a few Kylie nights and then they didn't book me on for anything else and then they cut the pay by 3 for under 18's so I was like screw that **** :p

Angel666
07-09-09, 18:09
Oooh! While we are on the topic, what was the worst gig you've been to? Mine would have to be when I saw Bob Dylan. It was at the Elvis Costello show, Dylan was the headliner and he's always had a really distinctive voice but we couldn't understand a word he was saying. And his back was to my section the ENTIRE time.

remote91
07-09-09, 18:10
Oooh! While we are on the topic, what was the worst gig you've been to? Mine would have to be when I saw Bob Dylan. It was at the Elvis Costello show, Dylan was the headliner and he's always had a really distinctive voice but we couldn't understand a word he was saying. And his back was to my section the ENTIRE time.
Bob Dylan? Seriously? :(

Mine would be The Raconteurs at Leeds in 2008.

Jack White sounded terrible and looked bored, and he didn't talk to the crowd at all, the band looked like they had just pulled themselves together off of the street and hadn't practised.

scion05
07-09-09, 18:16
I've never been to see anybody who actually sang badly live... Take That missed no notes than they hit for the first few tracks though in 2007... would see them again though I suppose...OMG, I've been to see them >.>

That being said, the acoustics in the M.E.N don't do anyone any favours, if you're on the upper tier it seems people sound like chipmunks lol, which never ever sounds that way on youtube... :(

Angel666
07-09-09, 18:18
Bob Dylan? Seriously? :(

Mine would be The Raconteurs at Leeds in 2008.

Jack White sounded terrible and looked bored, and he didn't talk to the crowd at all, the band looked like they had just pulled themselves together off of the street and hadn't practised.

It was a very disappointing show. :( Luckily Elvis saved it. And it was only forty dollars.

That's really disappointing, I love the Raconteurs. :(

You know who I would love to see? Weezer. Are they still touring? I'm going to check.

NemesisX13X
07-09-09, 18:27
I was gonna go to the Desert Rock Festival this year, but.. I didnt! *cries waterfalls*

Angel666
07-09-09, 18:33
My friend wanted me to go to Warped tour with her but as far as I could tell there weren't any bands playing that I REALLY NEEDED TO SEE so I didn't go. That was before I found out Elvis Costello was playing and I really kicked myself over that. :mad:

irjudd
07-09-09, 18:34
@irjudd: Well that's to be expected in South Carolina honey. :p It wasn't at a fourth of july party was it? :pi:

You got it. (http://www.independentmail.com/news/2009/jul/04/hillbilly-day-mountain-rest-50-years-fun-and-nosta/) :pi:

http://media.independentmail.com/and/content/img/photos/2009/07/04/HillbillyDay471_t600.JPG

Angel666
07-09-09, 18:36
Oh, man. :vlol: My uncle puts on a fourth of july party every year and always gets the same banjo group. It's painful.

Bonez
07-09-09, 18:57
That being said, the acoustics in the M.E.N don't do anyone any favours, if you're on the upper tier it seems people sound like chipmunks lol, which never ever sounds that way on youtube... :(

I think the acoustics in the MEN are pretty good! It's deffo one of my favourite venues, I think the atmosphere there is always electric. :)

My favourite gig was (this will be no surprise) Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Tour :jmp:

I got second row and she waved at me. :jmp:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/TombRaider252/DSC00323-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/TombRaider252/DSC00322.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/TombRaider252/DSC00317.jpg

I also saw P!nk on her Funhouse Tour this year and will be again next month, and she is deffo one of the best artists I've seen. :)

scion05
07-09-09, 19:03
I'd love to go see Pink in manchester next month, but for the time being I'm kinda pennyless lol.

Punaxe
07-09-09, 19:13
I've only been two three concerts in my life: After Forever, Suicide Commando and VNV Nation.
After Forever was really awkward; it was my first concert ever, I was with a friend, we were both too shy to move a limb, and I didn't know the band's repertoire that well yet.
The VNV Nation concert was pretty good, though I didn't like most of the songs from their new album that much and the vocalist didn't sing the older songs in line with the album versions making it difficult to sing along.
The best one was therefore probably Suicide Commando's concert, even though I only got to enjoy it for half an hour or so because I was to travel back with a girl that had to be home at a certain time. Luckily we left just late enough to catch what was my favourite song at that time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCQKZznZKU). :tmb:

Bonez
07-09-09, 19:32
I'd love to go see Pink in manchester next month, but for the time being I'm kinda pennyless lol.

I was incredibly lucky and my friends bought me a ticket for Christmas 2008 for April. :) It was so good I bought one for October XD Theres a DVD coming out though - I know its not the same but its the next best thing.
Her entrance is literally one of the best I've seen!
ngEZahaOc6M
And I'm sure she'll be doing tours in the future aswell. :)

BlackRainbow
07-09-09, 20:25
Per Gessle singing Sommartider on a late, beautiful July evening... enough said. <3

Hybrid Soldier
07-09-09, 20:43

I disagree completely. I think when you go to a concert in brings out more emotion. Its like sharing a moment, in a strange sense. Most of the music i listen to i enjoy for the simple fact i can relate to it, in one way or the other. Being there when a particular song is sung kind of.. binds the musician and the fans, if that makes sense. :p

I bought a CD recently and i was reading through the thanks from the band, and its probably the best way to sum it up.

"I'd like to start by saying anyone can stand on a stage and perform: sing, dance, act - emote. But unless there is something there to share the emotion, the performance is meaningless. Fans are everything. Without you there would be no one to share my feelings with, no one to explore the meaning with, no one to give my energy to and receive energy from. We are one, I am who and what i am because of what you give me."

Some of it sounds cheesy but music is something that brings people together. Despite all the crappy stuff that happens in the world, music is one of the few things that bring people together. :) That and i love the music loud. I'm going to a concert tomorrow and i wouldn't be surprised if it'll be the best gig i've been to. :p

scoopy_loopy
07-09-09, 20:49
I was incredibly lucky and my friends bought me a ticket for Christmas 2008 for April. :) It was so good I bought one for October XD Theres a DVD coming out though - I know its not the same but its the next best thing.
Her entrance is literally one of the best I've seen!
ngEZahaOc6M
And I'm sure she'll be doing tours in the future aswell. :)

Yeah she went all out here in Australia, doing heaps of PR stuff. Throwing parties and giving out invites to radio stations to then hand out - things like that. Apparently she loved it here or something?

Bonez
07-09-09, 21:00
She deffo loved it there! She did I think 56 shows? Whatever she did, it broke records. :)

Lara's Nemesis
07-09-09, 21:56
Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Dundee, Camperdown Park. They were playing Radio 1's Big Weekender. Karen O is such a good front person..

http://i26.************/2rgnej9.jpg

I've aslo seen the Ramones live just before they split up. 30+ songs in about an hour.:D

scoopy_loopy
07-09-09, 22:00
Camperdown, Dundee. These are Australian place names too, but you're not Australian - are you Lara's Nemisis?

Lara's Nemesis
07-09-09, 22:02
Camperdown, Dundee. These are Australian place names too, but you're not Australian - are you Lara's Nemisis?

No, there is a Camperdown Park, Dundee in Scotland.

Encore
07-09-09, 22:08

For me it was Linkin Park. I could have played their albums on my stereo really loud and it would be the same thing. No new ideas whatsoever, just "karaoke". :rolleyes:

Fortunately it was on a festival and Korn played after them, they absolutely rocked.

Also, I wasn't too impressed with Bloc Party. Very crappy sound (in technical terms).

remote91
07-09-09, 22:24
Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Dundee, Camperdown Park. They were playing Radio 1's Big Weekender. Karen O is such a good front person..

I've aslo seen the Ramones live just before they split up. 30+ songs in about an hour.:D
I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs last month, awesome performers :D

*richietrent*
07-09-09, 22:55
Mine was the Summertime Ball.. :p

NemesisxAngelus
07-09-09, 22:55
Some people and their concerts make me want to see them as well. Some of them are coming to The Netherlands soon but I'm pretty broke. :o

I've been to only 3 concerts so far (I wasn't allowed when I was younger than 18) so I've seen:

- Staind, they were alright.
- Nine Inch Nails, two hours of Trent Reznor, do I need to say more? :cln:
- KMFDM were just plain awesome, even if I'd minus the fact I met them and eventually had a long chat with Sascha (the frontman) before the show!

Oh and a friend won tickets for Hurricane Festival 2009 (Germany) so we were there also all 3 days and I saw lots of other bands there and met Anti-Flag and got my picture taken with Justin Sane.

:jmp:

ThatNorskChick
07-09-09, 22:58
The best show I've been to was Sonata Arctica in LA (I think it was '06?). Maybe it was my low expectations, because usually when I see a band I really like, it's a let down, but SA put on a damn good show. The sound was perfect, you could hear each individual instrument. Musically, they were tight and consistent. They kept it interesting, like throwing in a piece of one song into another. They even did a reggae breakdown in the middle of one of their metal ballads :p. Ah man, it was such a good time.

Squibbly
07-09-09, 23:55
Depeche Mode. :D

Saw them twice this past July.

]{eith
07-09-09, 23:59
Stevie Nicks 2008 Crystal Visions Tour

Two hours of pure Stevie goodness. I was in ecstasy. She was amazing! All the best tracks from her solo career and her FM days rolled up together. She had so much energy and her voice was flawless. Phwoarr! I'll never forget it.

Tombraiderx08
08-09-09, 00:01
Seeing my friends band, it was unbelievably amazing :yik:
tneHjAdvw8Y

EmeraldFields
08-09-09, 00:14
Cher's Farewell Tour was amazing!

http://i28.************/ouvdcw.jpghttp://i29.************/29pduo7.jpghttp://i25.************/x6a4yd.jpg