PDA

View Full Version : The General Dolly Rockers Thread

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 01:24
Here is a new group called the Dolly Rockers. Their first official single is "Gold Digger" but they had a video Parlaphone created with mobile phones and hand held cams called "Je Suis Une Dolly." They've previewed their next single "Boys will be Boys" on youtube.

http://i27.************/23r2t7s.jpg

Brooke Challinor
Lucie Kay
Sophie King

They're all in their early 20's now, but were formed from an ad by a previous manager when they were 16 (who wanted to call them Jailbait and sing songs like "Like a Virgin" and "I touch myself.") They then tried out for Xfactor, but were axed before it made television. According to the girls Sharon Osborne told them they should basically conform to what people think of 'girl bands' and this actually got them kicked off the show. EMI Parlaphone (the record company Kylie Minogue belongs to) signed them not too long ago and the girls have been working on their first album. They've created their own style, write their own lyrics and aren't afraid getting awkward stares from the public. In their "homemade" video for Je Suis Une Dolly they were repeatedly kicked out of buildings for not having a permit or permission to record there. One of the locations being Liverpool station, the group claims Tmobile ripped the idea of the "stop dance" from them since they had hired some dancers to do a simple routine before they were asked to leave.

Gold Digger
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Y-tT9fs5Eo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Y-tT9fs5Eo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Je Suis Une Dolly
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GB1qVJVvjFA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GB1qVJVvjFA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boys will be Boys (uploaded 10 Sept)
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGt7_J3zx_g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGt7_J3zx_g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I personally think they have a lot of potential because the lyrics to their songs are funny, catchy and provide an good social commentary.

Legend 4ever
09-09-09, 01:28
How is this chav?

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 01:29
Their accents bleed through the music...usually when British people sing their accents flatten out

Spong
09-09-09, 01:30
How is this chav?

Did you not see the women in the video?

TRhalloween
09-09-09, 01:31
Oh dear.

MattTR
09-09-09, 01:32
Wow! She is so my hero.. :rolleyes:..

..:vlol:

Legend 4ever
09-09-09, 01:32
Their accents bleed through the music...usually when British people sing their accents flatten out
Oh, haven't noticed that.
Did you not see the women in the video?
Well, that's not chav, it's just not well stylized outfits. But they look the same as the outfits in Confessions Of A Shopaholic, which are all high end stuff.

This is not the same IMO
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/alltherage/images/2009/01/09/islafishershopaholic_3.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/6677051_13de4e3f3e.jpg

Dia2blo
09-09-09, 01:34
Is this for real? Can i get a P-I-K-E-Y!

TRhalloween
09-09-09, 01:36
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/6677051_13de4e3f3e.jpg

That's "extreme" chav.

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 01:39
You're from Utah what do you know about Chav MY8

Legend 4ever
09-09-09, 01:40
You're from Utah what do you know about Chav MY8
Well, enough I thought. I mean, from what I know, that's not how chavs look like. These girls look fashionable with just a bit of poor taste.

I like the song though. Addicting.

TRhalloween
09-09-09, 01:42
It's flat and trashy. It makes me want to pull off one of their Barbie doll legs and hit them over the head with it.

Phys
09-09-09, 01:43
Absolutely terrible. Where's the bin for this trash?

Lemmie
09-09-09, 01:48
Are these women not meant to be the heirs to Bananarama?

I don't see chav at all. Singing with an accent isn't bad, lots of singers are doing the same currently. As for their dress sense, well, I wouldn't say I like it but I wouldn't chalk it up to chav.

I quite like the song too. :D

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 01:48
Chav aint about just dressing down. You can be chav and have nice clothes (from a maxed out credit card).

Isn't it delicious trashiness though?
INIT!?

Legend 4ever
09-09-09, 01:51
Lily Allen and Kate Nash sing with accent a lot of times and they're amazing.

TRhalloween
09-09-09, 01:58
Lily Allen and Kate Nash sing with accent a lot of times and they're amazing.

But still chavs.

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 01:59
And this so could become a Chav anthem

Legend 4ever
09-09-09, 02:01
But still chavs.

What? Now they're chavs too? What? is everyone in UK considered a chav?!

larafan25
09-09-09, 02:03

Spice Girls rule thanks:)

wait what lily Allen is awsome:O

I don't even know what a chav is:p

Spong
09-09-09, 02:04
Spice Girls rule thanks:)

Where are you living? The 1990's?

TRhalloween
09-09-09, 02:05

No, but Lily and kate are quite chavish. Posh chavs.

EmeraldFields
09-09-09, 02:05
I don't even know what a chav is:p

Chav (pronounced /Tch'ave/) is a derogatory term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom. The stereotypical "chav" is an aggressive teenager or young adult who often engages in anti-social behavior, such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdy behaviour. They are often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job. It first appeared in English dictionaries in 2005.

:D

Spong
09-09-09, 02:06
Chav (pronounced /Tch'ave/) is a derogatory term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom. The stereotypical "chav" is an aggressive teenager or young adult who often engages in anti-social behavior, such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdy behaviour. They are often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job. It first appeared in English dictionaries in 2005.

:D

That description is waaaay off. It applies to all teenagers the world over :D

larafan25
09-09-09, 02:06
^welll WTF...that doesn't apply to any of them(except for the hookers in the first post)

:p

EmeraldFields
09-09-09, 02:08
That description is waaaay off. It applies to all teenagers the world over :D

Wikipedia is full of lies!!!:p

Legend 4ever
09-09-09, 02:08
Wow...if you could make things more complicated...:rolleyes:

TRhalloween
09-09-09, 02:10
They're called neds in Scotland.
Kind of like trailer trash.

larafan25
09-09-09, 02:11
They're called neds in Scotland.
Kind of like trailer trash.

well spice girls and lily allen aren;t trailer trash...however the women in the first post....:D

Spong
09-09-09, 02:12
well spice girls and lily allen aren;t trailer trash...however the women in the first post....:D

The Spice Girls are (except Melanie Chisolm who was the only one with any singing talent).

larafan25
09-09-09, 02:15
The Spice Girls are (except Melanie Chisolm who was the only one with any singing talent).

but they weren't trash....just a bad excuse for strong independent women...as they weren't porttrayed as sooo:p

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 02:22
Chav (in relation to Dolly Rockers) are like dressing them up in posh clothes, but they've still got the upbringing of someone from the lower class. Like Katie Price or Peter Andre.

larafan25
09-09-09, 02:24
so it's classist?:D

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 02:27
Their 2nd single "boys will be boys" will be out next month

it's more Rock

they describe themselves as Pop marmite :vlol:

Spong
09-09-09, 02:35
they describe themselves as Pop marmite :vlol:

I can see why they'd say that. I hate them (but I love Marmite).

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 03:01
They were kicked off of Xfactor :)

Atlantisfreak666
09-09-09, 20:07
This is the worst thing I've ever heard.

IceColdLaraCroft
09-09-09, 20:22
edited to be moved to page 1

IceColdLaraCroft
11-09-09, 01:04
*bump*

redited the first post to be "reborn" as a "General Dolly Rockers Thread" and put their videos in the first post.

Boys will be Boys was released today as a preview on youtube.

Spong
11-09-09, 01:32
*bump*

That's not gonna do your cause any favours. If people aren't posting in this thread, think to yourself why ;)

Lemmie
11-09-09, 01:38
That's not gonna do your cause any favours. If people aren't posting in this thread, think to yourself why ;)

As far as I can see it was just to signal the change in direction that the thread was taking. If people hated the music, do you think no one would post? No, they would (as they have done) say so.

Personally, I like the music. I don't think it's particularly chavvish, just something fun and light-hearted and a little bit silly. Whether they'll go on to success is still in doubt I guess, but you don't see many bands who were kicked off X-Factor in the early stages make a go of it as much as these girls - hell, most of the finalists don't continue to get any media coverage.

IceColdLaraCroft
11-09-09, 01:47

I bumped because I added new information, but it would've just been an edit rather than anyone seeing how it was changed.

As far as I can see it was just to signal the change in direction that the thread was taking. If people hated the music, do you think no one would post? No, they would (as they have done) say so.

Personally, I like the music. I don't think it's particularly chavvish, just something fun and light-hearted and a little bit silly. Whether they'll go on to success is still in doubt I guess, but you don't see many bands who were kicked off X-Factor in the early stages make a go of it as much as these girls - hell, most of the finalists don't continue to get any media coverage.

I've put in a request to change the title to the "General Dolly Rockers Thread" but I was told it could take some time.

and you're right most finalists of ANY "game show" style talent show haven't had much success/media attention which calls into question why many of those still exist.

Sharon Osborne's comment made me think about the music industry and these shows and I've realized that people like seeing the contest and the "world" of shows like Idol and Xfactor are COMPLETELY removed from the music industry. None of the "judges" are active/important producers of music in the top of the charts and none of the suggestions they make to the contestants are anywhere near what people in the music industry are doing.

I think people, like the Dolly Rockers, see it as a way to get into the industry, but it's become a misleading door to nowhere.

remote91
11-09-09, 01:51
You're not from the UK so you don't really see the people on the streets or in clubs that we class as chavs, there are many different classes of the trash :ohn:

Legend 4ever
11-09-09, 03:18
That's the problem. Back in the old days there was bad dressed and appropriately dressed. Nowadays who knows what label you can get on the streets. And it's just clothes.

And if these girls are chavs, so is the 70% of the people in the World. That over-the-top & emo style is poplular in the US too, Germany, and a lot of countries of the World.

So I guess, you would call the Millionaires chavs too. lol

http://bandweblogs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/millionaires.jpg

ChingKong
11-09-09, 04:12
im not a big fan of talking songs...but that beat got me :/....plus theyre hot...with makeup on.....

Apathetic
11-09-09, 04:16
That's the problem. Back in the old days there was bad dressed and appropriately dressed. Nowadays who knows what label you can get on the streets. And it's just clothes.

And if these girls are chavs, so is the 70% of the people in the World. That over-the-top & emo style is poplular in the US too, Germany, and a lot of countries of the World.

So I guess, you would call the Millionaires chavs too. lol

http://bandweblogs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/millionaires.jpg

Haha good point. British = Chav, American = Scene.

marla_biggs
11-09-09, 12:21
the chav talk is horrible. Gold Digger is catchy tho

IceColdLaraCroft
11-09-09, 14:55
They've been touring malls/colleges since earlier this year and if you search youtube there are some other good songs from those appearances.

Champagne Shirley
How did I end up with you?

I hope we see/hear a lot more from them.

and:yah: New thread title