PDA

View Full Version : What do you do at college induction day?

Phlip
09-09-09, 23:14
I just want to get a general idea since I have it tomorrow. I hope there's no group work. Doing that with people you don't know is very awkward.

Encore
09-09-09, 23:16
There's no induction day on colleges over here. Newcomers just get punk'd. :vlol:

WCookie
09-09-09, 23:17
There's no induction day on colleges over here. Newcomers just get punk'd. :vlol:

Like totally ditto :ohn:

larafan25
09-09-09, 23:17
I looveee group work with new people:D

it's fun:D

Joely-Moley
09-09-09, 23:18
On my college induction day we had a barbecue and made balloon animals.

Jo269976
We did nothing really, we sat in a hall, got a few talks, you get a tour of the building, sit in your class, have a chat about the course, get your timetable then you're free to go. Took about three and a half hours.

Phlip
I don't see the point of it. I've already enrolled, had a full taster day, and had two other days where you hear about the course.

It seems like a bit of a waste of time. :o

I looveee group work with new people:D

it's fun:D
That's my worse nightmare. :( I'd be so shy. :(
We did nothing really, we sat in a hall, got a few talks, you get a tour of the building, sit in your class, have a chat about the course, get your timetable then you're free to go. Took about three and a half hours.

Sounds perfect. :tmb:

*richietrent*
09-09-09, 23:19
I just want to get a general idea since I have it tomorrow. I hope there's no group work. Doing that with people you don't know is very awkward.

Group discussions, and general "ice-breaker" activities. Nothing to it.

Dingaling
09-09-09, 23:20
We did a bit of paper work, got a talk about the course, our time table, a small tour and then out we went.

Didn't take long either.

Phlip
09-09-09, 23:20
Group discussions, and general "ice-breaker" activities. Nothing to it.

Oh no. :( I'd freeze up in such an awkward situation.

WCookie
09-09-09, 23:21
That's my worse nightmare. :( I'd be so shy. :(

I'm too shy too, and the :cen: teachers won't let me work alone :ohn:

Rivendell

Head down the toilet stylee?
Sweet. :cool:

Reminds me of Family Guys Freshman hunt. :vlol:

Nerd For Life

Lmao, I never did get punk'd, I escaped!

Phlip
09-09-09, 23:22
I'm too shy too, and the :cen: teachers won't let me work alone :ohn:

Ugh I know. :( They're all bloody fascinated with all this team work crap. I'm doing ICT so I don't see how there could possibly be any.

Lee croft
09-09-09, 23:23
I had mine today as a matter of fact :D it took forever though and i have to go to another one on friday XD

But i dont care to be honest all they did was say how its important we dont put off course work and stuff...and they said lessons dont start till the 21st :yik:

larafan25
09-09-09, 23:24
theres always group work...as when you enter the workforce everything is pretty much team oriented and you will be teamed up with people you have never met before...so it's to prepare you:)

Phlip
09-09-09, 23:24
I had mine today as a matter of fact :D it took forever though and i have to go to another one on friday XD

But i dont care to be honest all they did was say how its important we dont put off course work and stuff...and they said lessons dont start till the 21st :yik:

What else did you do? And what's the point in another induction day? :( :confused:

WCookie
09-09-09, 23:25
Ugh I know. :( They're all bloody fascinated with all this team work crap. I'm doing ICT so I don't see how there could possibly be any.

That really sucks, once I was like always making friends and trying to talk to everyone, but like they always joked me, so now I'm a shy person and everybody says I'm too shy and I like being alone, damn people, never know what to want. :ohn:

Nerd For Life
09-09-09, 23:26
^Lol, don't worry, I'd prefer to work by myself too. But the teachers always want group work, urgh.

Lee croft
What else did you do? And what's the point in another induction day? :( :confused:

There an evil college :p yeah and we had to do tests two and lunch was free :D

Joely-Moley

Honestly, don't worry about it. They basically just tell you about what to expect from the course, give you a tour and your timetable and that's pretty much it.

It's most likely that nobody knows anyone in the course yet, so you are all in the same boat.

Phlip
09-09-09, 23:32
Honestly, don't worry about it. They basically just tell you about what to expect from the course, give you a tour and your timetable and that's pretty much it.

It's most likely that nobody knows anyone in the course yet, so you are all in the same boat.

Sounds good.

And exactly, if by then we're not officially in then what the **** is the point in doing getting to know each other activities if we might never see each other again?

Lee croft
09-09-09, 23:36
Urgh i had to go threw one taster day two enrollment days because that how long it took!!! and ive had my 1st induction teachers already know who i am and term hasnt started yet and i feel like i already know the place...is that werid?? XD

Mad Tony
09-09-09, 23:38
I don't know, mine isn't until Monday. :p I've only had my enrollment day, and that was just a case of filling out some forms. I've actually got four induction days next week.

I thought you would be going into year 11 this year though, Philip? :confused:

Phlip
09-09-09, 23:47
Multiple induction days seems pointless.

No. :)

Nerd For Life
09-09-09, 23:50
This thread reminds me of those cringe-worthy first days in school, when the teachers demanded we introduced ourselves... "Hi I'm ______, and I like _______". Oh god, I literally feel sick when I think about those stuff. I hate it, hate it so much.

drakl0r
10-09-09, 03:49
A lot of talk..mine last year lasts about a week :p

rowanlim
10-09-09, 04:25
^Yup our induction lasts about a week. Typically my university will have the following:

Touring the campus: exposing the facilities, etc
Seminar with different departments: Finance, library, faculty etc
Ice-breaking sessions: group activities, mini presentations, etc
Seminar about the university's values, history, spiritual stuff

Unofficially, the senior students would have their own induction: collecting signatures of the senior students is a common practice. You may have to do tasks to obtain that signature :rolleyes:

john_york
10-09-09, 09:02
My college induction was two days, where you went and did 'taster' lessons for subjects you were interested in. Basically, they tried to sell you the subject and at the end of the two days, we chose those subjects we wanted to take.

No group work.

Hope you enjoy it!

scoopy_loopy
10-09-09, 09:03
Im not sure, but I know most of the colleges here just partied each night, and "get to know each other" type acitives during the day.

Mad Tony
10-09-09, 09:09
My college induction was two days, where you went and did 'taster' lessons for subjects you were interested in. Basically, they tried to sell you the subject and at the end of the two days, we chose those subjects we wanted to take.

No group work.

Hope you enjoy it!You see I don't think we'll be doing anything like that at my college since I have to go straight to my classroom in the morning and not into a hall or something.

TRhalloween
10-09-09, 09:12
It'll depend on which course you're doing. I did a taster in which I drew a poster and signed some forms :/ Meh.
I'm sure you'll do OK since I did OK and this is me I'm talking about.

drakl0r
10-09-09, 19:32
^Yup our induction lasts about a week. Typically my university will have the following:

Touring the campus: exposing the facilities, etc
Seminar with different departments: Finance, library, faculty etc
Ice-breaking sessions: group activities, mini presentations, etc
Seminar about the university's values, history, spiritual stuff

Unofficially, the senior students would have their own induction: collecting signatures of the senior students is a common practice. You may have to do tasks to obtain that signature :rolleyes:

I think I missed the collecting signatures part..:p

Because the Malay and Chinese seniors are having their own unofficial orientation, me and my Sabahan fellow coursemate are belong to neither groups, so we don't have to do anything.. :p

touchthesky
10-09-09, 20:14

Yeah that was pretty much what we did as well..same with the Uni Open Day we just had.

Freshers week starts the 21st! Should be fun.

Nannonxyay
10-09-09, 20:33
^Lol, don't worry, I'd prefer to work by myself too. But the teachers always want group work, urgh.

I bloody hate doing group work in school. I prefer to work in a quiet, calm enviroment where I can think about things myself instead of listening to a prat ramble on about how they're gonna get wasted at the weekend and not do any of the work. Agh. :mad:

I can barely tolerate working in a group in Drama classes, because today I got shoved to the side and ended up saying one friggen line because the people in my group wanted the best parts, even though they're **** actors.

Lavinder
10-09-09, 20:40
I just met my tutor and my tutor group and we had to fill in a few booklets and play silly embarrassing games together so we would get to know each other more.

Starting year 2, can't wait to meet the newbies! :D

Phlip
10-09-09, 21:02
We did do an ice breaker activity. We had to ask each other random questions that where written down. :rolleyes: Other then that it wasn't as bad as I though. Still terribly bad, tough.

Lara's Nemesis
10-09-09, 21:52
You lucky people who are going to College/University, I'm a bit jealous.:p The days I spent at college were the best fun I've ever had. School was pretty bad but you get a lot more freedom at college.:tmb:

Enjoy, you'll look back on these days with great fondness one day (hopefully:D).

stranger1992
10-09-09, 21:54

Icebreakers! Great fun to do. Don't clam up for christ sake! These people are just as nervous as yourself. :)