PDA

View Full Version : Ellen DeGeneres joins 'American Idol' as 4th judge

tranniversary119
10-09-09, 02:54
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr265/gothicrosemisfit/ellen_degeneres.jpg
LOS ANGELES, Sept 9 (Reuters) - Comedian Ellen DeGeneres, one of the top U.S. talk show hosts, was named on Wednesday as the new fourth judge on "American Idol," replacing Paula Abdul who quit the most-watched American television show last month.

Fox television executives and the producers of the hit singing talent show had been searching for a permanent, new judge to sit in Abdul's seat when the ninth season of the show returns to TV in January 2010.

"As the new judge, Ellen will offer her own unique perspective to the contestants throughout the competition," Fox said in a statement.

DeGeneres, whose award-winning talk show "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" is in its seventh season, described herself as a longtime fan of the show.

"So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text my vote," she said in the statement.

"American Idol" has become an audience juggernaut for News Corp's (NWSA.O) Fox network, with an average 26.3 million viewers per episode, and has grown into an estimated $1 billion-plus brand that is aired in about 100 countries.

Abdul abruptly quit the show after seven years when she failed to secure a new contract with a big enough pay raise.

After HER departure, the show's producers said they would bring in several pop stars and performers to fill guest judge spots on "Idol."

Fox said this list included Katy Perry, former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, Shania Twain, Mary J. Blige, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne and Kristin Chenoweth.

DeGeneres will take her seat at the judge's table after the audition rounds start.

"Idol" producers have renewed the contract of songwriter and record producer Kara DioGuardi, who was added to the judging panel this year to help boost sliding viewership.

The two other judges -- the often-acerbic Briton Simon Cowell and the laid-back Randy Jackson -- are still under contract and host Ryan Seacrest also will be returning. (Writing by Belinda Goldsmith; editing by Mohammad Zargham)
source (http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSSP36888420090910)

Tombraiderx08
10-09-09, 02:57
Coolness!!! :D

Apathetic
10-09-09, 02:58
I miss Paula. :(

_Awestruck_
10-09-09, 02:58
:eek: Wow :o. Ratings are DEFINITELY going up after this. I love Ellen though so I might watch this year.

EmeraldFields
10-09-09, 03:06
I LOVE Ellen, but aren't AI judges supposed to be involved in the music industry?

laracroftswest
10-09-09, 03:09
I like Ellen. A lot. But I would prefer someone like Madonna or someone from the Stones, or someone from the Beatles. Or U2. I'd like that a lot.

Tear
10-09-09, 03:20
I like this a lot.:D Paula was a nice woman, but I hated that all she could say was, "Well... you look so pretty tonight! You're gorgeous!" Instead of telling them that they did terribly.:rolleyes:

Ellen seems like a very refreshing start over for American Idol.:D

Lenochka
10-09-09, 03:41
I love Ellen... but why her? She isn't really involved in the music industry, so why make her a judge of a singing competition? It makes no sense xD

rowanlim
10-09-09, 03:47
I find it weird that they selected her. Like some mentioned, she's not involved in the music industry. She's nice, but if singing Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack" on her show for months makes her "involved", then the producers need to get their priorities straight.

Spong
10-09-09, 04:41
Fox said this list included Katy Perry, former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, Shania Twain, Mary J. Blige, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne and Kristin Chenoweth.

So the likes of Victoria Beckham and Avril Lavigne were to be so-called "judges" of talent? How messed up is that?

AmericanAssassin
10-09-09, 05:44
Ellen is cool and all, but this just seems totally random. I hope Paula makes guest appearances at least. :(

Nenya awakens
10-09-09, 07:34
I miss Paula being completely off her tits on pills and making a scene!

Psychos'Я'Us
10-09-09, 07:58
So the likes of Victoria Beckham and Avril Lavigne were to be so-called "judges" of talent? How messed up is that?

You forgot to add Katy "Everytime I sing a kitten dies" Perry :)

tonyme
10-09-09, 08:29
I think Shania Twain is the perfect guest judge. Posh? Avril? Katy Perry? Come on! :rolleyes:

Lee croft
10-09-09, 09:41
Katy Perry would only be there to make people laugh.

TRhalloween
10-09-09, 09:49
I love Ellen. This should be good :)

I like Ellen. A lot. But I would prefer someone like Madonna or someone from the Stones, or someone from the Beatles. Or U2. I'd like that a lot.

Or Jesus or the Queen :whi:

scion05
10-09-09, 10:15
I love Paula, but Ellen is cool so... :D

Well VB has filmed her guest role. I see no problem with it really, she can hold a note better than most, and better than many of them who get through the auditions on AI, so good on her.

Legends
10-09-09, 10:53
I love it. Congrats to her. :tmb:

Spong
10-09-09, 11:03
Well VB has filmed her guest role. I see no problem with it really, she can hold a note better than most, and better than many of them who get through the auditions on AI, so good on her.

Victoria Beckham is in no position to judge what's talent or not, as little as Cheryl Cole is over here on X-Factor (which is also a gross injustice). Both of them are (or rather were) nothing more talentless eye-candy. I'd be nothing more than offended to receive a "no" from the likes of that pretentious, scrawny stick insect.

The only good thing about Victoria Beckham is that she's in America and not over here any more.

igonge
10-09-09, 11:04
Oookay...

remote91
10-09-09, 11:25
Same :(

Spong
10-09-09, 11:36

I miss her pop career too :(

tonyme
10-09-09, 11:41
It's a fact that the show will never be the same without Paula, that's a fact and there's no need to say it. But replacing her with Ellen?? Paula has been such a rising diva in her days and she has a real solid music career, what does Ellen have to do with music? Sure she's funny in an obvious way, and she's loved by all so that will add great ratings to the show. But musically speaking?

No.

scion05
10-09-09, 12:02
Victoria Beckham is in no position to judge what's talent or not, as little as Cheryl Cole is over here on X-Factor.

Victoria is 100x better at singing than Cheryl Cole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrhSerlrLl0 3.36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8EKAlah0wg Or more or less all of this, leading the song...

She always gets little or not credit when singing, which is unfair. Geri Halliwell was a worse singer, and people only rank Mel B as a better voice because she shouts, VB has more " range "...

I miss her pop career too :(

New album soon.

VictorXD
10-09-09, 12:03
Yay!

Jack Croft
10-09-09, 12:08
Excellent choice. :D

Dennis's Mom
10-09-09, 12:59
I LOVE Ellen, but aren't AI judges supposed to be involved in the music industry?

This is really my beef. I think Ellen is great, but she's just not "music".

Although now I guess we'll get comments that are deliberately funny rather than Paula's accidentally funny ones.

Larapink
10-09-09, 13:00
I miss Paula. :(
Yeah I miss Paula being a judge too..:(

irjudd
10-09-09, 13:46
I've always liked Ellen. I used to watch her old sitcom "Ellen" show, and sometimes watch her current show. American Idol can suck a rotten egg though. Lame ass show. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

kristi
10-09-09, 14:05
American Idol doesn't deserve a beautiful person like Ellen.
Whatever...

robm_2007
10-09-09, 15:54

exactly! i would rather have paula and her Articulate Drunkeness. i like ellen, but they should have put someone better. ellen would be more fitted to join "So You Think You Can Dance", since she loves dancing.

just croft
10-09-09, 15:59
So they take out Wakooo High Paula and put this one?

Oh this is going to be sweet! :D Can't way to see the coments she and Simon are going to throw at the contestants :vlol:

robm_2007
11-09-09, 16:12
well, Ellen responded in concern to her not being in the music business.

she said something like that she is the average music listener, and she is a person that will be buying the music, so she knows what she likes to listen to.

that makes more sense, i would still rather have Paula.

IceColdLaraCroft
11-09-09, 16:21
Why is this show even on? It's a game show for music. They have NOTHING to do with the music industry. The standards they have are completely different from the music industry. I've talked to people that have auditioned for these shows and it's more "how is your story interesting" rather than "how much talent and marketability do you have?"

Besides Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson none of them have done anything. And none of the judges are major producers of any current artists in the business so why should their opinions matter?

poor people that audition for these shows think it's a way to get their foot in the door, when it will lead them no where and get them further from where they want to be.

irjudd
11-09-09, 16:24
Why is this show even on?

Because weirdo fanatics love to watch it, and therefore advertisers love to buy 30 second slots during the program. Why does anything remotely involved in entertainment exist?

TRhalloween
11-09-09, 16:25
Are Simon and Randy even involved in the music industry?

trXD
11-09-09, 17:05
I think its ok to have one judge not in the music buisness, you dont have to be in it to be able to judge it anyway. Besides think of the ratings! Muhahaha!

Chocola teapot
11-09-09, 17:11
Yay, go her.

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-09-09, 17:12
Oh Lord, no. :/

Dina_Croft
11-09-09, 17:45
Cool...I love Ellen...I think she will be great as a judge...

tranniversary119
11-09-09, 18:55
I actually like Ellen more than Paula. But it doesn't matter to me, not a fan of AI at all.

tonyme
11-09-09, 19:02
I sensed Paula will leave the show since last year when I found out there is a 4th permanent judge, Kara

Candee Sparks
11-09-09, 19:03
I'm so glad Paula is gone and all her drama. I hope she's ****ed that Ellen got the job because the ratings are going to go through the roof now considering there are far more Ellen fans. I'll actually watch Idol now because she's on it.

IceColdLaraCroft
11-09-09, 19:23
Now Paula can devote all her energy to ripping songs from Kylie Minogue

I'm just here for the Music was a song Kylie recorded but didn't use for the album Body Language and Boombox was used on her recent X2008 tour and was the title of a remix album she released BEFORE Paula.