PDA

View Full Version : District 9

Heckler
12-09-09, 00:34
Who's seen it?...And what do you guys think?

I for one was rather dissapointed with it, being a hyped (and local) movie..

I dont know...it just screams low budget and is a mess compared to other South African movies..

The lead actor gave me the impression (from an international point of view) that all men from here (South Africa) are somewhat dumb and have Afrikaans-like English accents and struggle with it...I cant stand it when a person talks like that...Its highly unlikely you'll find someone who talks like that here....Its like listening to Amy Winehouse and thinking all Brits talk like that.

The lighting was awful throughout the movie...In some scenes it looks like they used floodlights....Oh and the camerawork....lets not go there....had a headache from all the camerajumping.

I HATED the Apartheid feel the movie had....There was no reference towards Black vs White in the movie though...But there was still this fight between difference....Once again South Africans are depicted as rascist **** heads with no respect for culture and ethnicity... I can see people getting blamed already for what their ancestors did...I wonder if theres going to be more racial empowerment after this movie....Urgh

Things i enjoyed though was the emotion coming from the alien character....this CGI character "acted" better than the main character.
The concept was rather brilliant but depressing at the same time...

What do you guys think?

xx_Hunt_xx
12-09-09, 00:41
Im going to see in tommoro :)
I cant wait, it looks so good.
Although i get feeling it be like cloverfeild...dont ask why i just do

Heckler
12-09-09, 00:55
Im going to see in tommoro :)
I cant wait, it looks so good.
Although i get feeling it be like cloverfeild...dont ask why i just do

I really hope you enjoy it more than i did....
one thing its got that i loved was that the scifi is incorporated into the movie in such a convincing and natural way that you wouldnt say its all fiction.

Minty Mouth
12-09-09, 00:56
Well, I personally enjoyed it.

I thought the acting was great, and the main character was really likable, even though we see him as a bit of an idiot at the start.

Plus, the CGI was some of the best Ive ever seen. Seriously. But when you've got WETA working on somethings, it's gonna look good.

Catracoth
12-09-09, 00:57
People are all excited over it. I don't even know what it's about. Zombies?

Admles
12-09-09, 00:58
There is actually already a thread for this movie here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=157248&highlight=district)

Minty Mouth
12-09-09, 00:58
People are all excited over it. I don't even know what it's about. Zombies?

Aliens :p

Basically, aliens are forced to live in slums in south Africa.

All sorts of mischievous adventures ensue.

Catracoth
12-09-09, 01:01
Eh, I think I'll pass up on it for now. Probably not worth my $9. I might rent it at RedBox when it's available, that way if I hate it, it'll only be $1 wasted.

Minty Mouth
12-09-09, 01:03
Eh, I think I'll pass up on it for now. Probably not worth my $9. I might rent it at RedBox when it's available, that way if I hate it, it'll only be $1 wasted.
The movie is kind of split into 3 parts. The first part is like a mock-umentary, the second is a little drama/thriller-y, and the third part is all out action.

So if any of those appeal to you, I'd say its well worth $9

tranniversary119
12-09-09, 01:52
This was a very good movie :tmb: Was worth the 9$.

Carbonek_0051
12-09-09, 01:55
There is actually already a thread for this movie here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=157248&highlight=district)

Why is this post getting ignored?

Catracoth
12-09-09, 02:01
Why is this post getting ignored?

+1

Most of the time, posts reporting a duplicate do get ignored, heaven knows why.

larafan25
12-09-09, 02:03
cloverfeild

that movie was a dissapointment, I didn't get too see as many aliens:)

Tommy123
12-09-09, 02:12
I loved it! i thought they over did some parts but it was pretty good

Heckler
12-09-09, 02:14
+1

Most of the time, posts reporting a duplicate do get ignored, heaven knows why.

Useless Spam much?...
Some people ought to get a life and stop pretending to be moderators...

Carbonek_0051
12-09-09, 02:15
And some people need to use the search feature. Just sayin'.

Catracoth
12-09-09, 02:26
Useless Spam much?...
Some people ought to get a life and stop pretending to be moderators...

Some people ought to mind their business. You don't need to be a moderator to speak of what should be done.

michaeldt
12-09-09, 02:30
i've seen it :) it's a fantastic movie! one of my favourite movies! :D

Legend 4ever
12-09-09, 02:59
Hated it. Boring, stupid, ugly actors, shaky fake documentary camera, good story but other than that it ****ing sucked. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater. I don't remember when was the last time I lost 2 hours of my life in vain.

Bowie
12-09-09, 03:09
Revolutionary film. People who didn't like this simply don't "get" it, yet. (PS Legend_4ever your avatar is SO OMG BEAUTIFUL. Who are they?)

And yeah, if you think this film was a commentary on South Africans' racism, you're being too literal.

Legend 4ever
12-09-09, 03:13
Revolutionary film. People who didn't like this simply don't "get" it, yet. (PS Legend_4ever your avatar is SO OMG BEAUTIFUL. Who are they?)

And yeah, if you think this film was a commentary on South Africans' racism, you're being too literal.

I understood it. It was just boring and I like gorgeous actors in SF and horror movies. That's it.

*They are this amazing NYC band called Dangerous Muse, they're really cool, the music and them altogether.

Catracoth
12-09-09, 03:15
Hated it. Boring, stupid, ugly actors, shaky fake documentary camera, good story but other than that it ****ing sucked. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater. I don't remember when was the last time I lost 2 hours of my life in vain.

Much like Diary of the Dead.

Legend 4ever
12-09-09, 03:17
I totally regret giving my $8.

Bowie
12-09-09, 03:24
I understood it. It was just boring and I like gorgeous actors in SF and horror movies. That's it.

*They are this amazing NYC band called Dangerous Muse, they're really cool, the music and them altogether.
Fair enough. Well I mean, not that people don't "understand" it, but like, "get" the style of the film.

It's basically a new genre that's emerging since Cloverfield (well, heavily popularized by it), i.e., fictional documentary bookends around a feature film. Except imho, this film did it a million times better.

And thanks Leg, will check out Dangerous Muse now ;) ;)

erosan
12-09-09, 05:26
It was deffinetaly not what i expected, but the ending was just horribly sad.

rowanlim
12-09-09, 05:34
District 9 was awesome. I totally loved the film. Initially I thought my money was wasted but then it turned out to be the best RM9 I've paid for :tmb:

I cried at the ending. So sad :(

Will there be a prequel?

Minty Mouth
12-09-09, 10:07
Bowie, I agree with you wholeheartedly. It was a great film, and I would no way say that I regret seeing it. There are some things that are just good, regardless of your opinion on them. It was deffinetaly not what i expected, but the ending was just horribly sad.

District 9 was awesome. I totally loved the film. Initially I thought my money was wasted but then it turned out to be the best RM9 I've paid for :tmb:

I cried at the ending. So sad :(

Will there be a prequel?

Did you guys not get the ending?

SPOILER: Wilkus turned into a full alien, and was free to live his life with them in peace. I dont think thats sad?

Well, thats what all my friends and me thought.

rowanlim
12-09-09, 10:44
^I got the ending but isn't it sad because he wanted to return to his wife & being an alien wasn't part of the plan? He's in the alien colony coz he's got nowhere to go until Christopher returns & morphs him back into human :)

Minty Mouth
12-09-09, 10:46
^I got the ending but isn't it sad because :)

I guess. It's sad if you look at it that way :p But the ending is about hope.

rowanlim
12-09-09, 10:52
Only if Christopher returns :p

Rivendell
12-09-09, 12:20
I really enjoyed it. :)
As I said in the films thread, I couldn't stand Vickers for most of the film up until the end.
Loved the semi-documentary style, it felt very different, even from Cloverfield which I also enjoyed.

I hope there's another. :tmb:
It reminded me a lot of Resistance Fall of Man - and I think that it could work so well as a prequel film to that franchise- especially if Christopher returns in 3 years (2012 :p ) with his friends to help save the others. Espcially if those friends then decide to punish and turn earthlings into Prawns too.

VonCroy360
12-09-09, 14:06
I'd say it has a bittersweet ending. By helping Chris at the end, Wikus looses the chance for what he's been looking for for the entire movie. There's a certain sense of pride and heroism, like he made up for all the horrors he did earlier, but he still lost what he was looking forward to the most.

I absolutely loved the film. Best movie of the year so far, if you ask me. There's rarely a genre film that manages to create such an emotional impact and strong message and still keep the things that make it a genre movie. This movie can go against any strong drama for me - the SF part isn't what made it weaker, but just enhanced the whole point of the film. I thought Copley was brilliant as the lead as well, both as the official in the beginning and as the troubled weak man turned hero he is towards the ending.

As for those who haven't seen the film yet, it's often compared to Transformers - if you're looking for a popcorn flick with lots of stunning special effects and exciting explosion scenes, you better go with that. You should be ready for a brilliant drama when you go see this film.

Greenkey2
12-09-09, 16:06
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=157248&highlight=district

:wve: