PDA

View Full Version : Jack the Ripper and his connection to Jekyll and Hyde.

in these arms
14-09-09, 17:47
For those who have read the story, what do you think the connection are between Jack the Ripper and the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde?
Or, what similarities are their?

I was just browsing on-line and bumped upon it, and conveiniently doing it in my English class.

jackles
14-09-09, 17:51
*flexes fingers*

Well the novella was written before the Ripper murders so that would sort of rule out a connection

Super Badnik
14-09-09, 17:52
I didn't know there was a connection. After all Jekyll & Hyde is fiction, Jack the Ripper was a real murderer. Could you elaborate a little? :)

in these arms
14-09-09, 18:04
Well, Jack the ripper could be a normal guy by day, hiding the fact he's a murderer, and that similarly is like Jekyll and Hyde.

Jo269976
14-09-09, 18:12
I think most murderers, hide the fact that they are murderers.

violentblossom
14-09-09, 18:13
Do you feel that he had an alternate personality or was otherwise bi-polar?

jackles
14-09-09, 18:13
If you take it on a Darwinian level (the nature of man and his beastial ancestory) then the Ripper murders could be seen in the same sense of mans true nature coming out but there were a lot of grisly murders at the time and the interest in early psychology and Darwinian theory that comes into many novels of the period was prevalent amongst many writers to try and explain such behaviour.

But as I said Stevensons work predates the murders.

Nenya awakens
14-09-09, 18:16
I think most murderers, hide the fact that they are murderers.

Leave it to Jo to state the obvious.

http://i25.************/311ruo6.jpg

I dont think there is any connection, Jack the ripper was an actual murderer... Jekyll was a fictional character.

Jo269976
14-09-09, 18:17
Leave it to Jo to state the obvious.

http://i25.************/311ruo6.jpg

Well, Jack the ripper could be a normal guy by day, hiding the fact he's a murderer

Back to your smelly cave :ton:

in these arms
14-09-09, 18:31
Back to your smelly cave :ton:

What? :confused::P