PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 2 Film Is Official

ArigatoGozymas
16-09-09, 12:09
Screenwriter Roger Avary and producer Samuel Hadida are going back to the haunted town of Silent Hill. Both have now signed on to pen the 2nd film based on the cult classic Silent Hill series. After lukewarm reviews of the first film and fan outrage at the deviation from source material, we can only hope Avary and Hadida will take some more time with this one. We believe it can be done, but it just needs the right dedication and research. The 2nd film will be moving from paper to reel after the release of Resident Evil: Afterlife. We hope to see more psychological fear and less Pyramid Head booty.

Alex Shepherd
16-09-09, 12:10
Screenwriter Roger Avary and producer Samuel Hadida are going back to the haunted town of Silent Hill. Both have now signed on to pen the 2nd film based on the cult classic Silent Hill series. After lukewarm reviews of the first film and fan outrage at the deviation from source material, we can only hope Avary and Hadida will take some more time with this one. We believe it can be done, but it just needs the right dedication and research. The 2nd film will be moving from paper to reel after the release of Resident Evil: Afterlife. We hope to see more psychological fear and less Pyramid Head booty.

Can you please tell me the source for ir?

xx_Hunt_xx
16-09-09, 12:11
Aww i loved the first silent hill film :)
If this is true there be a 2nd then im excited:jmp:

Cristina
16-09-09, 12:18
Aww i loved the first silent hill film :)
If this is true there be a 2nd then im excited:jmp:

For me it was meh:/

i hated the fact they changed the storie,donīt make sence cybil bennet to role whit a diferent protagonist,in the game the protagonist was harry,not a woman!:confused:

Carbonek_0051
16-09-09, 12:21
Survival pointed it out in the Silent Hill Thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=4029551&postcount=1969), I can't wait for it. The first is still the best video game to film adaption IMO, so I can't wait to see how the second will be done. Fingers crossed Christophe Gans comes back to direct.:)

Spong
16-09-09, 12:25
Booo! to Roger Avary being the writer again.

Can you please tell me the source for ir?

Like Natesauce said, all this info was posted in the SH thread a few days ago (along with links). Did you not see it?

Rivendell
16-09-09, 12:28
:yah: I loved the first one, so hopefully the second will be as decent!

Alex Shepherd
16-09-09, 12:34
Booo! to Roger Avary being the writer again.
Like Natesauce said, all this info was posted in the SH thread a few days ago (along with links). Did you not see it?

I really don't mean anything, but doesn't seem that one post from Carbonek was enough? Or you just want to gain one more post?

:yah: I loved the first one, so hopefully the second will be as decent!

We all wish that :)

Spong
16-09-09, 12:43
I really don't mean anything, but doesn't seem that one post from Carbonek was enough? Or you just want to gain one more post?

WTF!?
My comment about Roger Avary was the reason for my post, not picking you up on your short-term memory loss.

Alex Shepherd
16-09-09, 12:47
WTF!?
My comment about Roger Avary was the reason for my post, not picking you up on your short-term memory loss.

But you don't have to repeat what Carbonek said, you're not a parrot.

EscondeR
16-09-09, 12:53
If you both don't remember what netiquette does mean... :mis:
Especially Alex.

violentblossom
16-09-09, 13:27
:yah: I've always wondered if they would, and so this is pretty rad news.

Woot.

Nemo_91
16-09-09, 13:30
I loved the first one! :tmb: I hope this one will be as good as it was.

remote91
16-09-09, 14:13
Yessums!

Olabelle
16-09-09, 15:17
Yay!

I love the first SH movie so much. I'm so happy knowing they're going to make a sequal. :jmp:

Shark_Blade
16-09-09, 15:30
Love the first, bring on the second. :D

TombRaiderLover
16-09-09, 16:36
I felt that the original film was a mixed bag. The first half was visually splendid, with brilliant set design and atmospheric (lack of?) lighting. However, it simply evolved into a predictable little-kid-trying-hard-to-look evil-by-lowering-their-head-and-hiding-their-face-behind-their-hair witch story, which didn't hold my interest. Overall though, it was a fairly good film, and I'll probably watch the sequel eventually.

Hermina94
16-09-09, 17:31
I can't wait!!!::yah::yah:

Mikky
16-09-09, 17:40
The first Silent Hill movie is my favourite movie of all time. Ironic, since I'm a huge fan of TR, and I don't even have any SH games anymore!:ton:

CroftGameGirl
16-09-09, 18:48
Same as voiletblossom, I've always hoped for another one! :yah: Let's hope it's good! :jmp:
Is it based off SH2? I hope so :D

CuteKittenlol
16-09-09, 18:50
YESSSS! :D
I loved the first one, its probably my favourite film actually, i can recite it word for word lmao :p

RAID
16-09-09, 20:26
I loved the first movie. It's the best movie that is based on a game. I hope the second is at least half as good.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-09-09, 20:37
i thought the first one lagged a bit and got boring, although i did like it once it got going.

i hope the 2nd one makes me go 'wow', i truly do :)

i love the silent hill games so its a shame i didnt really like the first one that much.

Liberta
16-09-09, 22:15
Hell yeaah! I've always been looking forward to watch something like SH ever since, it's so unique damn!! :hea:
Thanks !!!

NemesisX13X
16-09-09, 22:17
Yay! :yah:

I LOVED the first one! And I just really hope the second one will be more epic! :jmp:

Chocola teapot
16-09-09, 22:21
Sounds exiting.

M.A.
16-09-09, 23:14
Yeah, sure.. all movie adaptations of games WILL deviate from source material. But considering all factors, Silent Hill is the closest one to stay to the source material. Sure they change here and there to spice up things but wouldn't it be boring to see Silent Hill 1 in big screen edition? I mean, game players already know the story....

Can't wait for the sequel! I was a tad worried when both the director and script writer said they couldn't join for the second one a long time ago. Now I'm glad! :D

SpongeBob Lover
16-09-09, 23:51
the first film dissapointed me so i hope this one will make up for it!

i am soooo totally gonna see this! :jmp:

tranniversary119
17-09-09, 00:02
Loved the first one :tmb:

Shark_Blade
17-09-09, 04:35
Same as voiletblossom, I've always hoped for another one! :yah: Let's hope it's good! :jmp:
Is it based off SH2? I hope so :DImagine Maria being in the second movie! :eek: Who will play her? I hope Christina Aguilera lol.

ArigatoGozymas
19-09-09, 13:51
I love it to be based on SH2 ... it would be great n also great to see a sequel for the first movie n see Radha Mitchel and a grown up Sharon

CroftGameGirl
19-09-09, 14:01
Shark Blade: I always thought Cameron Diaz :cln: :D

Jo269976
19-09-09, 15:16
I loved the general ambience of the first movie, I just hope they manage to portray a lot of the characters more faithfully to the games, I prefer Dahlia as an evil old hag :tea:

remote91
19-09-09, 15:23
Cameron Diaz would make a great Maria, however I'd like it if they opted for someone a little more unknown, it always makes the film much more interesting for me if I'm not familiar with the actor.

Carbonek_0051
19-09-09, 15:25
Cameron Diaz would make a great Maria, however I'd like it if they opted for someone a little more unknown, it always makes the film much more interesting for me if I'm not familiar with the actor.

This.

And it was already discussed in the SH thread, but I would love if they did their own story for the next film. No characters from the games. Most of the SH fans have played the games and know pretty much all there is to know. But still keep the SH feel to it and maybe some refrences to the games but that's it. I would love to see more original monsters as well, the Janitor in the first film was pretty creepy IMO.

drakl0r
19-09-09, 15:26
Yes I do agree... :D

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/4/128859500893219938.jpg

Tonyrobinson
19-09-09, 15:27
I think SH was very faithful to the spirit of the game and I although no game to film adaption is perfect it was an amazing movie and adored by me being a huge fan of the game series I'd really appreciate a sequel and think the first one was pennned perfectly. I just want Alesya to return :D

Shark_Blade
19-09-09, 16:41
Shark Blade: I always thought Cameron Diaz :cln: :D*swoon* :cln: Excellent choice, I could do with her too.

Either one or anyone new that can play her well will do for me.

CroftGameGirl
19-09-09, 18:55
But now that I think about it, remote81 seems right. It would be cooler to have someone like that :tmb: Especially on a project really eerie like Silent Hill :pi:

19Kegan19
19-09-09, 22:20
Weird, I was just thinking there should be another one. I really liked the first one.

ArigatoGozymas
23-09-09, 21:01
I loved the general ambience of the first movie, I just hope they manage to portray a lot of the characters more faithfully to the games, I prefer Dahlia as an evil old hag :tea:

Dahlia of the movie was WAAAAAAAY better than the one from the games.

N Cameron would make a GREAT Elle too, checkout Elle's CG Render.

I think SH was very faithful to the spirit of the game and I although no game to film adaption is perfect it was an amazing movie and adored by me being a huge fan of the game series I'd really appreciate a sequel and think the first one was pennned perfectly. I just want Alesya to return :D

It was absolutely faithful to the whole thing, I loved it, I just can't see why the first one shown a grown up Alessa burnt slightly and for different reasons than the movie version which was a WELL-DONE cooked Alessa :P n Origins had a different Dahlia from both movie and game.

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 21:07

How?

I don't know about you, but I found the Dhalia in the games to be a much deeper & darker character.

Jo269976
23-09-09, 21:12

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/Jo269976/GIFS/2q0vfpz.gif

Spong
23-09-09, 21:13
^^Never thought I'd EVER actually appreciate the use of that GIF. But I sit corrected.

Catracoth
23-09-09, 21:15

You need to post sources that prove what you're saying is true, AG. Or else no one will believe you except for TRF's gullible folk.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/Jo269976/GIFS/2q0vfpz.gif

Lmfao. You are such a hypocrite, Jo.

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 21:16
You need to post sources that prove what you're saying is true, AG. Or else no one will believe you.

I did it for him:
Survival pointed it out in the Silent Hill Thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=4029551&postcount=1969), I can't wait for it. The first is still the best video game to film adaption IMO, so I can't wait to see how the second will be done. Fingers crossed Christophe Gans comes back to direct.:)
:p

Jo269976
23-09-09, 21:17

Only when the cause is just ;)

Catracoth
23-09-09, 21:18
I did it for him:

:p

Ah, the always reliable Nate. Thanks for that, :).

Lara's Nemesis
23-09-09, 21:18
According to IMDB Silent Hill 2 will be coming out in 2011. Can't find out anymore from there as I don't have a Pro account.

ArigatoGozymas
23-09-09, 21:20
You need to post sources that prove what you're saying is true, AG. Or else no one will believe you except for TRF's gullible folk.

I don't care if someone believes me or not, it's up to the person.

Catracoth
23-09-09, 21:21

You wouldn't last a moment in the field of journalism.

Spong
23-09-09, 21:23

It's not really about justifying yourself to others, it's simple forum etiquette. You don't make claims without the proof. It's just fortunate this time that the news had already broken in the Silent Hill thread and confirmation was provided by Survival/Nate.

As for what you said about Dahlia in the movie...well, that's a different story. LOL.

ArigatoGozymas
23-09-09, 21:24
You wouldn't last a moment in the field of journalism.

I'm a Pharmacist and Visual Artist FYI. ;)

It's not really about justifying yourself to others, it's simple forum etiquette. You don't make claims without the proof. It's just fortunate this time that the news had already broken in the Silent Hill thread and confirmation was provided by Survival/Nate (which Catracoth somehow missed).

http://www.helldescent.com ... scroll down, you'll find it.

Jo269976
23-09-09, 21:31
As for what you said about Dahlia in the movie...well, that's a different story. LOL.

It can easily be expressed by two simple comparisons:

Exhibit A:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050825/dahlia_SH1.jpg

Exhibit B:
http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/movies/s/silent_hill/loder/281x211.jpg

Seriously, give the poor woman a comb for goodness sake.

ArigatoGozymas
23-09-09, 21:34
It can easily be expressed by two simple comparisons:

Exhibit A:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050825/dahlia_SH1.jpg

Exhibit B:
http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/movies/s/silent_hill/loder/281x211.jpg

Seriously, give the poor woman a comb for goodness sake.

if ur a mom n u caused ur daughter to be burned alive and turn into a well-done piece of Ribeye Steak and then be taken to a twisted version of the world u live, will u have the mood for combing ur hair ?!

Jo269976
23-09-09, 21:35
if ur a mom n u caused ur daughter to be burned alive and turn into a well-done piece of Ribeye Steak and then be taken to a twisted version of the world u live, will u have the mood for combing ur hair ?!

Dahlia was too selfish to care about her daughter being burned alive, she's the one who started the house fire :wve:

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 21:37
Dahlia was too selfish to care about her daughter being burned alive, she's the one who started the house fire :wve:

+1 (You're on a roll today:p)

I think that gave the original Dhalia more depth. Christabella in the film was more Dhalia than the one they gave us.

http://www.channel4.com/film/media/images/Channel4/film/S/silent_hill_xl_03--film-A.jpg

Jo269976
23-09-09, 21:39
Christabella in the film was more Dhalia than the one they gave us.

My sentiments, exactly :tmb:

Spong
23-09-09, 21:49
Dahlia is absolutely the epitome of evil in the Silent Hill games. Avary completely ignored that and turned her into something laughable in comparison. Like Nate said, Christabella was more Dahlia in the movie than Dahlia was.

Nenya awakens
23-09-09, 22:30
I still dont get why they changed Dahlia in the film.... she was an awesome character in the game, and such a weak character in the film who didn't really serve much purpose.

As much as i liked the film there games plot was so much more interesting and morbid.

Jo269976
24-09-09, 01:52
That's what happens when you try to establish an on-going mother theme throughout the movie, this would have perhaps worked with an adaptation of Silent Hill 4, or even Silent Hill 3 at a stretch, but Silent Hill 1? No.

ArigatoGozymas
24-09-09, 06:25
My sentiments, exactly :tmb:

Dahlia is absolutely the epitome of evil in the Silent Hill games. Avary completely ignored that and turned her into something laughable in comparison. Like Nate said, Christabella was more Dahlia in the movie than Dahlia was.

I still dont get why they changed Dahlia in the film.... she was an awesome character in the game, and such a weak character in the film who didn't really serve much purpose.

As much as i liked the film there games plot was so much more interesting and morbid.

They just didn't wanna turn motherhood into homicidalhood

Jo269976
24-09-09, 11:57
They just didn't wanna turn motherhood into homicidalhood

Yet look how that turned out for them :rolleyes:

They turned a strong antagonist into a snivelling side-character.

ArigatoGozymas
24-09-09, 13:32
Yet look how that turned out for them :rolleyes:

They turned a strong antagonist into a snivelling side-character.

I know but just consider the movie as a story used characters form the game in different way, just don't consider it canonic to SH1 nor any other one, now look at SH:Shattered Memories and look at the catastrophes that have done with it, they've shown Dahlia as a Night Girl !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo269976
24-09-09, 13:47
they've shown Dahlia as a Night Girl !!!!!!!!!!!!

In one of the scenarios ;)

I'm fairly certain that Classic Dahlia will be seen upon certain requirements.

Carbonek_0051
24-09-09, 16:27
I know but just consider the movie as a story used characters form the game in different way, just don't consider it canonic to SH1 nor any other one, now look at SH:Shattered Memories and look at the catastrophes that have done with it, they've shown Dahlia as a Night Girl !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's different, it's a reimagining of the original with multiple scenarios which I am fairly certain the original scenario is possible.

This is one of the many titles that should have been adapted perfectly on screen, the plot is perfect to set up a story arch on the big screen. But instead they turned it into some story about motherhood. I love the movie don't get me wrong, but it could have been done way better.

Tommy123
24-09-09, 17:53
yay! loved the first one cant wait for this one!

ArigatoGozymas
26-09-09, 11:07
That's different, it's a reimagining of the original with multiple scenarios which I am fairly certain the original scenario is possible.

This is one of the many titles that should have been adapted perfectly on screen, the plot is perfect to set up a story arch on the big screen. But instead they turned it into some story about motherhood. I love the movie don't get me wrong, but it could have been done way better.

why don't we just consider the movie as a re-imagination too ? since they main character was changed so why not consider it some mix of classic and new material ... after all each person has his/her own opinions but still it was fun although it might have had some flaws ...

Jo269976
26-09-09, 12:24
why don't we just consider the movie as a re-imagination too ? since they main character was changed so why not consider it some mix of classic and new material ... after all each person has his/her own opinions but still it was fun although it might have had some flaws ...

Because the synopsis of the movie detailed it as an adaption.

ArigatoGozymas
29-09-09, 21:20
Because the synopsis of the movie detailed it as an adaption.

Okay they lied but that doesn't alter the fact the the movie was nice.

Jo269976
02-10-09, 01:18
Okay they lied but that doesn't alter the fact the the movie was nice.

Silent Hill and 'nice' do not belong in the same language, let alone the same sentence.

In January of 2008, Silent Hill and Pulp Fiction writer Roger Avary was involved in a drunk driving accident that killed fellow passenger and friend Andreas Zini, 34. Reuters reports that the newly-wed Zini and his wife Maria were in California on their honeymoon. The group was returning from dinner when Avary, traveling at 100mph, crashed his Mercedes into a telephone poll. Avary's wife was ejected from the vehicle and was seriously injured while Zini's wife was in another car and escaped unscathed.

In August of this year, Avary pleaded guilty to gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and other charges stemming from the accident, a change from the not guilty plea he offered in December 2008. Avary was yesterday sentenced to one year in prison and five years probation.

Kotaku reports that Avary had already signed on to write the Silent Hill 2 movie.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Roger-Avary-Silent-Hill-Manslaughter,news-4764.html

Candee Sparks
02-10-09, 01:22
The first movie actually has to be my favorite video game to movie adaptation so I really jumped up and down when I found out a few days ago that the sequel was confirmed.

ArigatoGozymas
04-10-09, 14:46
Silent Hill and 'nice' do not belong in the same language, let alone the same sentence.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Roger-Avary-Silent-Hill-Manslaughter,news-4764.html

That probably depend on the watcher's opinion that differs from one to another, the one who like it can hope for another one and the ones who hate it can simple ignore it and wish for a better sequel or totally forget about it :)

The first movie actually has to be my favorite video game to movie adaptation so I really jumped up and down when I found out a few days ago that the sequel was confirmed.

ME TOOO

Jo269976
04-10-09, 14:55
I liked the movie, don't get me wrong, best adaptation I've seen. But they need to work on their character portrayal, once they hit that down perfectly, then it'll be fantastic :tmb:

ArigatoGozymas
31-10-09, 19:34
I liked the movie, don't get me wrong, best adaptation I've seen. But they need to work on their character portrayal, once they hit that down perfectly, then it'll be fantastic :tmb:

Well yeah ... I myself dislike some points in the movie ... but I meant other people who come to forums just to boycott Silent Hill or Resident Evil ...etc. or even about TR Lara Outfits ... they say we don't want outfits while they can simply ignore choosing or unlocking them (I don't mean you :P) so that was my point hehehehehe :D

erreway
01-11-09, 22:44
I liked the first and
omg i can't wait for the second :jmp:

voltz
02-11-09, 01:51
best adaptation I've seen.

For keeping the appearance I'd agree but as for the script, I was too busy aiming a 1 finger salute at whoever wrote the script. Seriously, how much story butchery are we planning this time?

Survival
02-11-09, 05:57
Why care about how "closely" they adapt the story? Seriously if you want to see same old **** all over again just play the games again.

Iīm not saying they did a good job with the script donīt get me wrong but since everything else was top notch I could care less if thereīs no Harry, Dahlia was good and the order was different.

voltz
02-11-09, 07:25
Why care about how "closely" they adapt the story? Seriously if you want to see same old **** all over again just play the games again.

yeah I did that and I'm glad for it. No reason to see how hollywood's usual trend has to butcher things like they normally do.

Iīm not saying they did a good job with the script donīt get me wrong but since everything else was top notch I could care less if thereīs no Harry, Dahlia was good and the order was different.

For you maybe, but I'm not exactly getting a new story here now am I? I used to imagine things like tv shows, games, comics etc being turned into a movie and these days I'm now the direct opposite of that for a number of reasons.

Survival
02-11-09, 07:41
yeah I did that and I'm glad for it. No reason to see how hollywood's usual trend has to butcher things like they normally do.

For you maybe, but I'm not exactly getting a new story here now am I? I used to imagine things like tv shows, games, comics etc being turned into a movie and these days I'm now the direct opposite of that for a number of reasons.

Oh donīt get me wrong Iīm not saying itīs good I just donīt care anymore since thereīs no chance at all we would get a faithfull adaptation of anything. Especially when the screenwriter is someone whoīs never played the game before (He just watched Gans play it in their motel room).

Iīm sorry if I sounded rude :)

voltz
02-11-09, 08:05
Iīm sorry if I sounded rude :)

nah, it's cool.

EscondeR
02-11-09, 08:23
Well yeah ... I myself dislike some points in the movie ... but I meant other people who come to forums just to boycott Silent Hill or Resident Evil ...etc. or even about TR Lara Outfits ... they say we don't want outfits while they can simply ignore choosing or unlocking them (I don't mean you :P) so that was my point hehehehehe :D

The point is that implementing this futile cosmetics the developers focus less on other actually important game aspects :mis:

*laralover*
02-11-09, 13:36
The first one is my favourite video game movie and it creeped me out the first time watching so yeah cant wait :D

_Tomb_Raider
02-11-09, 15:07
All I can say is :jmp::jmp:
I love all Silent Hill games and the movie was quiet good...

iFrit
02-11-09, 15:40
I really liked the first film. The story was a complete mess however. I didn't mind the changes, it was just so poorly put together and a lot of it didn't make sense.

I hope the next film is more like the second game. Less about witches and more about the psychological effects of Silent Hill.