PDA

View Full Version : School system in UK

Angelx14
19-09-09, 09:50
For those of you who live in the UK.

I'd like to find out more about UK's school sustem as I'm quite confused.
In my home country I finished year 9 at age of 16. It would probably count something as finishing the secondary school (?). After that I'd have to go to year 10-12 and then Uni, OR after year 9 I go to college where I study the profession. But now that I'm in UK, I'd like to go to some of English schools, but I'm very confused about where I'm supposed to go (what school, etc). I've read that some people finish school at age of 16 and go straight to looking for job. Do I really have to start looking for one already? I'd like to finish school properly as nearly nobody in my family has, except my father.

Thanks.

LaraCroftRox
19-09-09, 10:08
At 16 you have a choice of going to college and then university, or you can just start looking for a job.

Nannonxyay
19-09-09, 10:14
At 16 you have a choice of going to college and then university, or you can just start looking for a job.

Or sit on your arse and do nothing, like my sister did for a year. :ton:

sheepydee
19-09-09, 10:21
i think the school systems are different in england AND scotland.. my cousin is in england she blabbers on about her classes which make no sense to me XD so i presume its different in scottylandy and england

Tomb-Dude
19-09-09, 10:29
Well the new law is you are forced to either stay on at school/6th fork or college until the age of 18. It use to be 16 and then you were able to either to choose to go to college or full time work. But that no longer happens.
Once your turn 18 you have the choice of going to Univercity.

woody543
19-09-09, 10:38
Well the new law is you are forced to either stay on at school/6th fork or college until the age of 18. It use to be 16 and then you were able to either to choose to go to college or full time work. But that no longer happens.
Once your turn 18 you have the choice of going to Univercity.

Right and wrong, whilst the law has changed, it doesn't go into effect for a while, anyone currently aged 13 or under I think, will have to stay in education, this means at 16 they can either stay at sixth form or choose a college. At the moment when you turn 16 you can do whatever you like, leave, go to college or stay on.

Also at 16 you should be in YR11

Tomb-Dude
19-09-09, 11:01
I live in the Uk and i only just turned 16 when i went to college because my birthday is at the end of august :p

And the new law has taken place for people who are in year 8 and 7 this year... year 9-11 can leave when they are 16 :)

Me my self am 17 :p

Edit: Actually this law took place when i was in year 11 which was not last year but the year before... so yeah. It might be people who are in year 9 and below or year 8 and below

Rileigh
19-09-09, 11:27
WTH??
People are going to have to go to college or sixth form??
The education system in this country sucks.

Laralissa
19-09-09, 11:37
In Scotland, we go to Primary school from about age 5 to 11/12 (Primary one through to six) then we start at High School. There are six 'years' in Scottish High School, but we are only obligated to go up to Four. After Fourth year (once youve sat your Standard Grade exams) you can choose to leave and do what you want, work, college, or just nothing atall. But if you're smart you'll stay till the end of Sixth year where you can sit your Highers (Sort of the equivalent to english A-levels, but there are still some major differences) and have the opportunity to go to University in the future. So by the end of sixth year in Scottish High school, most people are around age 17/18.

I hope that made sense :p

Rileigh
19-09-09, 11:49
England is simple.
Highschool starts in year 7 when you'er 11/12. End of year nine exams determines whether or not the school gives a crap how you actually do during years 10 and 11 (note, depression caused by grief of, say, death of a loved one, either close friend or family, is not going to sway their decision in this matter, no matter how well you were doing before hand, even if you were the top ten in your year).
End of year 11 is the GCSE exams.
Year 12 is in either sixth form or college where you can take A-levels, BTEC, more GCSE's. You can get a part time job or volunteer work for work experiance. Also, at the moment, you can start full time work, or take a gap year for work.
At 18 or there abouts, you go to university.

Angelx14
21-09-09, 12:43
Sorry for bumping this up, didn't have the access to i-net.

Ok, some things seem clear, but i have another question; if i'm not mistaking, school starts in sep, so will i be bale to get into school when it's not the beginning of sep?

Spong
21-09-09, 13:21
You can join a British school at any point in the year :)