PDA

View Full Version : "A man with a history of mental illness"

Icarus60
21-09-09, 17:22
They just used the phrase "A man with a history of mental illness" in a news item I just saw. So what does that phrase mean exactly? Mild depression? Raving Hannibal Lector? It seems a bit stupid, sensationalist and uninformative to moi.

Mad Tony
21-09-09, 17:23
It means a man who's had a history of mental illness. Mental illness being an illness that affects somebody mentally. Really, that's what it means. :confused:

violentblossom
21-09-09, 17:23
It could mean anything having to deal with mental illness. Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, homicidal tendencies..

Angelus
21-09-09, 17:24
it means a man who's had a history of mental illness. Mental illness being an illness that affects somebody mentally. Really, that's what it means. :confused:

lol

Rai
21-09-09, 17:41
The phrase itself is a bit vague. As VB says it could refer to any one of the mental illnesses she mentioned among others.

What was the news story refer to?

Jo269976
21-09-09, 17:43
It does what it says on the tin :tmb:

xx_Hunt_xx
21-09-09, 17:45
Well why do you want to know this mans health buisness? The news is unlikly to give out confidential information of a person. They are going to keep in vague. Would you like someone on news telling everyone about your past health?
Plus "History of mental health" well its clear that just means in his life time he has had some issues affecting his health to do with his mental capacity.

Siberian Tiger
21-09-09, 17:46
Could be anything. Yeah, it's vague and not very informative but how exactly is that phrase sensationalist? I certainly don't think it is.

Mad Tony
21-09-09, 17:59
lolDid I say something funny? :confused:

irjudd
21-09-09, 18:06
Did I say something funny? :confused:
Absolutely not.

Mad Tony
21-09-09, 18:14
Absolutely not.I wasn't asking you :p

irjudd
21-09-09, 18:20
You didn't have to. Consider me the peanut gallery. The ones you'll always hear heckling in the background.

1upMushroom
21-09-09, 18:28
Perhaps he did something crazy/psychotic/homicidal.
They will then mention his "history of mental illness", as if it shows precedence. However, if it is such a vague reference, there may not be any precedence for his behavior. There may have been no pattern, no way of predicting.

The Mushroom wonders what happened to responsible journalism.

adventurerLara
21-09-09, 18:31
As you said in so many words, it depends on the context.

Icarus60
23-09-09, 06:45
Perhaps this wasn't the right community in which to start a thread like this. :)

I Need A Map
23-09-09, 11:02
They say that kinda thing in the news all the time....it all depends on what he did... if he was found lying in the middle of a pond shouting at the ducks that the hour of purification is nigh well then I would think that maybe there was 2 wires touching in his head:D

CerebralAssassin
23-09-09, 12:26
Perhaps this wasn't the right community in which to start a thread like this. :)

try the insanity forums.

Lara Croft!
23-09-09, 21:01
Just the phrase "mental illness" is vague and its gravity is determined subjectively by each individual.

xXhayleyroxXx
23-09-09, 21:08
i agree with the people saying it could be one of the many issues concerning the person's psychology
and also that its vague bt it needs to be

January_Snow*
23-09-09, 21:22
The man was crazy =)))))))

aileenwuornos
24-09-09, 04:58
It could mean anything having to deal with mental illness. Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, homicidal tendencies..

Those aren't the only mental illness there are. He could have be anorexic for all we know (although, the statistical likelihood of that is slim to none, at best)

Perhaps he did something crazy/psychotic/homicidal.
They will then mention his "history of mental illness", as if it shows precedence. However, if it is such a vague reference, there may not be any precedence for his behavior. There may have been no pattern, no way of predicting.

The Mushroom wonders what happened to responsible journalism.

I agree with the mushroom. Maybe when I get my journalism degree things will change ;)

The man was crazy =)))))))

That's a little bit offensive. There's actually no such thing as "crazy". I'm mentally ill but I'm not tearing people up in my backyard - it's just like having a physical disability, that is, it can limit some of your day to day activities but generally speaking, it's not going to ruin your whole life.

It's like a broken arm, only sometimes it takes a lot longer to heal.

violentblossom
24-09-09, 13:06
Those aren't the only mental illness there are. He could have be anorexic for all we know (although, the statistical likelihood of that is slim to none, at best)

I was merely stating a few examples.