PDA

View Full Version : Batman

Phys
22-09-09, 19:58
I was just wondering, has anyone suddenly gone in Batman Fan-mode after playing Batman: Arkham Asylum?

To be totally honest i've only ever really acknowledged that Batman exists. I kinda preferred other superheros that had special powers. After playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, i've suddenly fell in love with Batman, Joker, and the rest of them! The game was so amazing and now I find myself searching videos and images of Batman! I've even been watching old Batman: Animated Series :vlol:

I was wondering if anyone else has become like this? :) Or whether its rekindled your love for the superhero and the series?

TombRaiderLover
22-09-09, 20:01
No, I've been obsessed with Batman since before I can remember.

Carbonek_0051
22-09-09, 20:03
No, I've been obsessed with Batman since before I can remember.

This.

I grew up with the Animated series, loving Batman Returns, and later in my middle school years getting into the comics. I have some pictures of me when I was turning 5 I believe and I was wearing a Batman suit to my party.

Encore
22-09-09, 20:10
I got into Batman with the Tim Burton movies, I loved them (and Batman Forever) when I was a kid. I was a fan of Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face. :vlol:
My god, it all looks so silly compared to the new Batman movies..

TombRaiderLover
22-09-09, 20:17
I got into Batman with the Tim Burton movies, I loved them (and Batman Forever) when I was a kid. I was a fan of Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face. :vlol:
My god, it all looks so silly compared to the new Batman movies..

*eyes twitch uncontrollably*

I don't think the Burton films are silly at all. They're true to the surreal, over-the-top nature of the comics. Though I prefer the recent Batman films, they're still pretentious with their spoon-feeding dialogue, too distant from the comic book roots.

Carbonek_0051
22-09-09, 20:20
I don't think the Burton films are silly at all. They're true to the surreal, over-the-top nature of the comics.
:tmb:

That's why I prefer the original two, Forever and B&R were meh to me.:p

they're still pretentious with their spoon-feeding dialogue, too distant from the comic book roots.
And that's why I find the new ones to be a bit over hyped. They were too distant from the comics to like. The reason I liked the Dark Knight was because of the Joker & Harvey. Their preformances made it interesting to watch. I sincerly hate how small Crane's role was in Begins. He had potential, but they focused it too much on Ra's Al Ghul.

Encore
22-09-09, 20:21
Not that I'm a connoisseur or anything but to me it just looks like Tim Burton "remixed" Batman's universe to fit his unique vision. Which is fine, but I prefer the Frank Miller-esque style of the new movies.

Jo269976
22-09-09, 21:06
Batman, no.

Joker, yes. :)

Way before 2008, may I add.

But still, I do love that rodent disguised guy :p

Nerd For Life
22-09-09, 21:11
No. I've been a Batman fan for a good while now. And I didn't play Batman AA yet.

Carbonek_0051
22-09-09, 21:17
But still, I do love that rodent disguised guy :p

Ratcatcher?:)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/Batman/images/thumb/1/1d/Ratcatcher.jpg/250px-Ratcatcher.jpg

Encore
22-09-09, 21:29

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/Batman/images/thumb/1/1d/Ratcatcher.jpg/250px-Ratcatcher.jpg

He looks fierce!

Jo269976
22-09-09, 21:45

Oh no you di-int :ohn:

Carbonek_0051
22-09-09, 21:46
He looks fierce!

No that would be Catwoman. She's the most fierce.:ohn:

http://www.rickmorgan.net/catwoman.jpg

@Jo: I did, oh I DID.:)

Atlantisfreak666
22-09-09, 21:58
]No that would be Catwoman. She's the most fierce.:ohn:

http://www.rickmorgan.net/catwoman.jpg

Word.

WSOwen02
22-09-09, 22:37
I got into Batman after seeing Nolan's Batman Begins. I always thought Batman was kinda lame and I always hated (and still do) Robin and all his other kid sidekicks. But after seeing Batman Begins I saw how badass and really how deep Batman can be.

I've read a few of the graphic novels, am watching the animated series and of course bought and really enjoyed Arkham Asylum.

silver_wolf
22-09-09, 23:54
I'm much more into batman after playing AA than I was before it. I've read a bunch of the comics, refreshed my memory on all the villains, etc. :D

Jo269976
22-09-09, 23:57
@Jo: I did, oh I DID.:)

http://i37.************/98ye0l.png

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 00:06
http://i37.************/98ye0l.png

Jo, why so serious?

Jo269976
23-09-09, 00:14
Jo, why so serious?

Nate, you know that ticking underneath your pillow?

Yeah, try to be there when it stops.

:)

HAR HAR

Twilight
23-09-09, 00:16
i played some of a demo of Batman AA, it was fun. running around felt great with the batclaw. and he fights really cool.

i always thought batman was pretty cool. especially recently with the new films. he's awesome because he's a superhero without super powers. he's the most human one. but i still think the whole series is too dark for my taste.

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 00:17
Nate, you know that ticking underneath your pillow?

Yeah, try to be there when it stops.

:)

HAR HAR

http://i33.************/2uhoaki.jpg

So seeing as this is basically the General Batman thread, who's everyone's favorite villian's backstory & favorite graphic novel?:)

Jo269976
23-09-09, 00:19
http://i33.************/2uhoaki.jpg

So seeing as this is basically the General Batman thread, who's everyone's favorite villian's backstory & favorite graphic novel?:)

The Joker, seeing as he doesn't have one, he just is.

Complete manifestation of insanity, humour and homicide.

My favourite Graphic Novel would have to be The Killing Joke, obvious choice, but hey, I'm a sucker for it :ton:

Nerd For Life
23-09-09, 00:22
I love The Man Who Laughs.

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 00:23
My favorite backstory for a Villain would be Harley Quinn. I would say Selina Kyle, but technically speaking she is not a villian.:)

My favorite Graphic Novel would be Arkham Asylum: Serious House On Serious Earth, it's so gritty & dark. The Killing Joke is a close second, the ending alone is memorable.:tmb:

Jo269976
23-09-09, 00:26
I love The Man Who Laughs.

:tmb: This also deserves an honourable mention. I can see some resemblence to 'The Laughing Fish' in this graphic novel also.

WSOwen02
23-09-09, 00:28
I've only read a couple graphic novels so far, Year One and The Long Halloween so I can't pick a favorite yet.

I like the version of the Joker that just is also. I really love Harvey Dent's story in The Dark Knight. I saw a critic describe Dent's arc in that movie as Shakespearean and I'm inclined to agree.

tranniversary119
23-09-09, 01:10
The Joker&Harley Quinn- There relationship, there individual personalities, Harley's obsession with the joker, it's all a VERY interesting plot. I love Batman, anything to do with Batman is :cln:

Jedd Fletcher
27-11-09, 02:56
Thanks for finding the old thread. Tranniversary, I completely agree with you. It's a perfect study in abusive relationships and obsessive love when it isn't healthy for either party. Having Harley in his life also forces the Joker to care for someone other than his lonesome self, which is very interesting. Yay that you love Batman too!

I got into Batman after watching Batman Begins and the lovely old Batman: The Animated Series back in 2005 and have never looked back since. Since then, I've watched all the movies from Batman '89 onwards and followed the newer Batman animated series "The Batman". I really like Batman's colourful rogues gallery, that I feel contains some of the best villains in fiction. My favourite graphic novel story arc is the epic Hush. I liked how everyone featured in it (Jeph Loeb managed to cram in every last villain) and the art from Jim Lee was just wonderful too.

Jo269976
27-11-09, 03:32
Thanks for finding the old thread. Tranniversary, I completely agree with you. It's a perfect study in abusive relationships and obsessive love when it isn't healthy for either party. Having Harley in his life also forces the Joker to care for someone other than his lonesome self, which is very interesting. Yay that you love Batman too!

I don't believe he particularly cares for her a great deal, but he does respect the fact that she's the only person who has stuck by him for years and is the closest anyone has come to 'getting him' so to speak. It's different every time you see the two characters together, quite a lot of the time The Joker is an abuser towards Harley. The only other person he cares for, apart from himself is Batman.

Jedd Fletcher
27-11-09, 10:36
^^Good point. Harley gets very clingy and it irritates the Joker, as it does Poison Ivy Harley is the best example of how the Joker's madness is possibly contagious. I love the backstory that she is his psychiatrist and that he slowly manipulates her mentally until she can't live without her puddin'.

troy tr
16-03-10, 13:23
I've looked around and believe this is the correct thread for me to post, as per what was said in this thread ("http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=161299&highlight=batman+comic').

I'm starting to read Batman comics, but mostly are Joker comics.

I have :

1. The Killing Joke
2. Joker
3. Batman : Lovers and Madmen
4. Arkham Asylum

:D I'm loking forward to All-Star Batman & Robin: The Boy Wonder ("http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=132346&highlight=batman+comic)

LightningRider
16-03-10, 13:26
All-Star?

Get ready, for the dickiest of all Batman's. Get ready for one of the most controversial stories ever.

The God Damn Batman has arrived once you get it. Believe me.

Hmm, I'm interested in starting the General Comic Book Thread lol.

ccroft2003
16-03-10, 13:32
ive always loved Batman. Mainly which started with the first Tim Burton movie in 92 (i was quite young then!) which grew in to the cartoon series of the 90's. Never played a Batman game until AA and LOVED IT! :D

Carbonek_0051
16-03-10, 13:35
Did anybody else play this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/Batman_Vengeance.jpg

I used to play it all the time and thought it was the best Batman game ever.:p

Jo269976
16-03-10, 13:36
Did anybody else play this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/Batman_Vengeance.jpg

I used to play it all the time and thought it was the best Batman game ever.:p

Yeah, I got up to Poison Ivy's plants and gave up, she whooped my ass.

That being said, I was a lot younger :p

LightningRider
16-03-10, 13:36
I wanted to. :p

Carbonek_0051
16-03-10, 13:40
Yeah, I got up to Poison Ivy's plants and gave up, she whooped my ass.

That being said, I was a lot younger :p
I remember beating the game, but then when I rebought it like a few years ago it was harder than before.:vlol:
I wanted to. :p

I can't find it anymore. :/

Shark_Blade
16-03-10, 13:42
I've looked around and believe this is the correct thread for me to post, as per what was said in this thread ("http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=161299&highlight=batman+comic').

I'm starting to read Batman comics, but mostly are Joker comics.

I have :

1. The Killing Joke
2. Joker
3. Batman : Lovers and Madmen
4. Arkham Asylum

:D I'm loking forward to All-Star Batman & Robin: The Boy Wonder ("http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=132346&highlight=batman+comic)Yeah, I'm crazy for Joker as well at the moment. I don't know why the guy just makes me tick. I love how he's unpredictable, menacing, psychotically insane without a care in the world.

All-Star?

Get ready, for the dickiest of all Batman's. Get ready for one of the most controversial stories ever.

The God Damn Batman has arrived once you get it. Believe me.

Hmm, I'm interested in starting the General Comic Book Thread lol.I'm interested with this one as well. Gonna grab a copy soon.

LightningRider
16-03-10, 13:43
Sad, heard it was the best before AA came.

So.. General Comic Book Thread?

I just wonder if there are enough regular comic book readers out there... Like me. Buy'em weekly.

To keep it Bat related, I really have been liking what Grant Morrison has been doing with Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin. Epic win is that duo lol. Can't wait till Bruce comes back from the "dead" though. :D

Jo269976
16-03-10, 13:45
I don't really read the continuous comic series, seeing as you can't really get them in the UK. You really have to hunt, even in big cities.

But as for those that are stand alone graphic novels, or are easier to get a hold of, I will gladly spare some input :p

LightningRider
16-03-10, 13:47
Anything really, questions, discussion, clearing things up.

I guess I wont find anyone who's just as devoted to the names Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Gail Simone and Greg Rucka then. :ton:

Shark_Blade
16-03-10, 14:20
Can't wait till Bruce comes back from the "dead" though. :DWhen did Brucey died? :confused:

I think there was a mad comic crossover with the Joker once. He's got cancer and tried to take everyone down with him as much as he can...I think.

Jo269976
16-03-10, 14:42
I think there was a mad comic crossover with the Joker once. He's got cancer and tried to take everyone down with him as much as he can...I think.

I think that one was called 'Last Laugh', but I may be mistaken. I'm also too lazy to look it up.

Alive_and_Funky
16-03-10, 18:49
:D I'm loking forward to All-Star Batman & Robin: The Boy Wonder ("http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=132346&highlight=batman+comic)
Don't get your hopes up...

So.. General Comic Book Thread?

I just wonder if there are enough regular comic book readers out there... Like me. Buy'em weekly.
I don't read many, but I reckon a thread would be a nice idea.

I don't really read the continuous comic series, seeing as you can't really get them in the UK. You really have to hunt, even in big cities.
Or just go in Forbidden Planet. :p

I guess I wont find anyone who's just as devoted to the names Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Gail Simone and Greg Rucka then. :ton:
Grant Morrison!!!

When did Brucey died? :confused:

It's funny because for some strange reason I wondered what it would be like if The Joker got cancer, and then all of a sudden I came across a story where it happens! Then again, perhaps I had already heard of it but my brain only remembered a tiny bit.

Jo269976
16-03-10, 18:50
Or just go in Forbidden Planet. :p

That's two hours from my town :p

Alive_and_Funky
16-03-10, 18:59
That's two hours from my town :p
Oh.
I have to go on a train, so I don't exactly go there often either. XD

Jo269976
16-03-10, 19:24
Oh.
I have to go on a train, so I don't exactly go there often either. XD

So do I :vlol:

But when I do go, I give it a good half hour browse :D.

Shark_Blade
16-03-10, 23:52
^Half hour? I can spend hours in a big bookstore. :vlol:

Don't get your hopes up...
Why? Is the story that bad? I don't mind Batman being a "goddam" arsehole. :p
I was thinking of getting it today. :pi:

Jo269976
16-03-10, 23:53
^Half hour? I can spend hours in a big bookstore. :vlol:

Well this is a very, very small store, you could fit about thirty people maximum inside. :p

TRhalloween
16-03-10, 23:55
Batman Cartoon Maker :D I wish I still had that CD :(

Jedd Fletcher
17-03-10, 05:15
Just bought this shirt!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/Sw023kSGeZI/AAAAAAAAK7s/PUREWss-Nrk/s1600/arkham-asylum-logo-t-shirt-shirts.gif

It was vacuum-packed into the shape of a Bat-signal, so it has to be soaked in water to open up. Cool concept.

http://www.gameon.co.uk/files/images/competition/Batman_Arkham_Asylum/tshirts/batman.JPG

^^In its packed form

Shark_Blade
17-03-10, 05:29
Thats so cool Jedd. :D:tmb:

LightningRider
17-03-10, 12:23
Bruce Died you say?

Why, that came from the Epic Genius known as Grant Morrison. I'm sure you've all heard of Batman R.I.P. right? Or Final Crisis?

Or that Dick is now Batman? No? Too bad. :p

Alive_and_Funky
17-03-10, 19:45
Why? Is the story that bad? I don't mind Batman being a "goddam" arsehole. :p
I was thinking of getting it today. :pi:
Well, I thought it was so bad that it was hilarious, so I enjoyed reading it but for all the wrong reasons. :p

I understand that Frank Miller wanted to create his own spin on everything, but he has completely messed around with certain characters' personalities to the point that they are almost unrecognisable (the whole "goddamn Batman" thing is just one example).
It's also incredibly cheesy as well, yet apparently Miller was trying to make it rather gritty. :confused:

Some people like it though, and as I said I still got some enjoyment out of it. XD

Well this is a very, very small store, you could fit about thirty people maximum inside. :p
I remember when the Manchester Forbidden Planet's top floor was really tiny (the bottom floor was already fine) before they bought the premises next door and expanded it. I must have went in there once soon after it happened, since it was rather bare that day.

Shark_Blade
21-03-10, 15:39
So I bought All*Star: Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder few days ago. Took sometime for me to read it too.

Things do seems wrong and a bit harsh. I mean, Vicky Vale seems like a *****, Robin gets treated like trash, like being grabbed by his shirt and tossed into the batmobile by Batman, being slapped by Batman, belittled by Batman, etc.

Oh and Batman, don't even get me started on him. He's reckless, he's hot tempered, he's a lunatic that kills cops and gangsters! He even threaten Alfred because he fed food to Robin rather than let the boy eat rats just as the bat**** crazy Batman intended him to. He makes the rules and he just loves being the goddamn Batman.

I understand why some don't like Batman killing people. It contradicts his values and if he kills, he'll just be the same and as bad as the Joker.

But all in all, it was still a hillarious read. A bit of Sin City feel to it, but I like it. Yeah I love this book, can't wait for the next one to come out. It'll do well as an alternate Batman/Robin origin story, albeit a bit crazy. :D

Oh, I love the last scene in the rainy graveyard scene where Robin grieved for his family at the tombstone and Batsy goes and hugged him. It should go well if it's with the normal Batman, but being hugged by a crazy raving maniac isn't my idea of comfort. But meh, I'm willing to let it slip on this one, since it's still nice lol.

One thing that bugged me was the other super heroes. I mean a goddam Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and plastic rubber man? I bought a goddamn Batman book, leave it Batman universe only goddamn it! :hea::cen:

So I got other books as well:
Batman The Killing Joke
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Joker's Asylum
Brian Azzarello JOKER (Art by Lee Bermejo)

Any other good books you can recommend? I think A Death In The Family might be good, and The Dark Knight Returns or maybe Batman Hush? I dunno.

Alive_and_Funky
21-03-10, 17:41
So I got other books as well:
Batman The Killing Joke
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Joker's Asylum
Brian Azzarello JOKER (Art by Lee Bermejo)
I have all of those four (I've not read Joker yet though). :D

Any other good books you can recommend? I think A Death In The Family might be good, and The Dark Knight Returns or maybe Batman Hush? I dunno.
You'll probably find The Dark Knight Returns interesting as All Star Batman and Robin is set in the same universe as it, and a lot of people reckon that it is the greatest comic book story of all-time.
Hush is another one that I liked. In a lot of ways it feels like a "who's who?" of Batman's villains. :D

As far as stuff you haven't mentioned goes, The Long Halloween is one of my favourites and features the origin of Two-Face. I thought that its sequel, Dark Victory, was almost as good too.
Batman: Year One is another Frank Miller story about Batman's first year on the scene (obviously :p) that is well worth reading.

almayah
21-03-10, 17:52
I'm watching the movie as we are discussing ;)

Shark_Blade
22-03-10, 00:37
I have all of those four (I've not read Joker yet though). :D

You'll probably find The Dark Knight Returns interesting as All Star Batman and Robin is set in the same universe as it, and a lot of people reckon that it is the greatest comic book story of all-time.
Hush is another one that I liked. In a lot of ways it feels like a "who's who?" of Batman's villains. :D

As far as stuff you haven't mentioned goes, The Long Halloween is one of my favourites and features the origin of Two-Face. I thought that its sequel, Dark Victory, was almost as good too.
Batman: Year One is another Frank Miller story about Batman's first year on the scene (obviously :p) that is well worth reading.Thnaks a lot for your suggestion, I'll be sure to check em out!:D

Jedd Fletcher
22-03-10, 00:45
I really, really don't like Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin. It's screwed up, and nothing like the Batman I've grown to love. The dynamic between Batman and Robin is all wrong, the dialogue is terrible, and some of it seems to have been written while Miller was smoking something strange. Not even Jim Lee's art helps, much as I like it.

I love Hush, it's one of my favourites. I really like Jim Lee's art, and Jeph Loeb managed to weave every last major villain into a compelling story. Another very good Batman story that I've just read is "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" by Neil Gaiman, with art by Andy Kubert. It's a fantastic story about Batman attending his own funeral in spirit, where all his rogues gallery and allies go up to give eulogies and tell their own versions of Batman's death. In a way, it's meant to be like the "last Batman story ever told", echoing the Alan Moore "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Superman story. The ending of "Caped Crusader" gave me chills.

Jo269976
22-03-10, 02:10
Batman: Under The Red Hood.

9FNp3xdXsbY
I8vkC-IxzA0

Neil Patrick Harris ... Dick Grayson / Nightwing (voice)

Jensen Ackles ... Jason Todd / Red Hood (voice)

Jason Isaacs ... Ra's al Ghul (voice)

Vincent Martella ... Teen Jason Todd / Robin (voice)

Bruce Greenwood ... Bruce Wayne / Batman (voice)

John Di Maggio ... The Joker (voice) (as John DiMaggio)

Alexander Martella ... Young Jason Todd / Robin (voice)

Due for release on July 27, 2010.

Looks very promising, can't wait. Great voice cast :tmb:

Carbonek_0051
22-03-10, 02:42
I definitely can't wait for it.:D

Shark_Blade
22-03-10, 03:01
But it's an animated DVD adventure ... :pi:
I'm getting it anyway. :p

Carbonek_0051
22-03-10, 03:38
But it's an animated DVD adventure ... :pi:

What's wrong with that?:confused:

LightningRider
22-03-10, 04:12
I like All Star. The Pshychotic side of Batman we have not seen at all, finally revealed, but slowly, he starts gorwing a soft side. Many don't know that Batman was very grim before Robin came, which is actually why they made Robin. :)

And I don't get why someone would complain on the Animated Side! Judd Winick wrote that in the heyday, and it's Bruce Timm as Art Director right? How could someone not fall in love. :p

Jedd Fletcher
22-03-10, 05:51
Under the Red Hood looks like it could well be the best Batman animated adventure period. I'm really liking the style, kind of like a modified New Adventures of Batman and Robin, and I'm glad Winick got to write it since it's his story anyway. Looking forward to hearing some of the voice cast in action, especially Neil Patrick Harris as Nightwing.

LightningRider
22-03-10, 05:59
I always love the voice casts Andrea picks for the movies, always great. :tmb:

'Cept, maybe Keri Russel. Urgh. :p

Shark_Blade
22-03-10, 06:28
What's wrong with that?:confused:Oh I thought it was something like AOD interactive dvd game, where you play it with the tv remote. :p

So it's like the BTAA series, cool.:cool:

Shark_Blade
23-03-10, 05:09
So I got Bat crazed again last night and went comic hunting.I've actually never bought superheroes comic like these all my life until recently, so pardon my random rambling or if I seems liek a noob. I'm new to these kind of things. :p

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6998/11734400x600.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/11734400x600.jpg/)
I finished Batman: Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader? A great and engaging story, I love the villains eulogies but pity not one of their testimonies are believable. Then I realized it was all just a near death experience where your brain plays on you.
It kinda opens my mind that no matter what you do whilst living, always strive till the last bitter end, doing the things you believe in.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2923/batmandeathfamily.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/batmandeathfamily.jpg/)
(Didn't get it) I've browsed through A Death In The Family. The classic artwork doesn't do it for me, and the Robin bashing scene by the Joker doesn't feel that violent or real. Plus it seems so pointless that they kill of Jason Todd, when there's a new guy
coming aboard to become...yet another Robin. *sigh* :o I always like Robin, and the animated series depicts the most perfect version for me. He's not a tall gangly
pre-adult guy in a green shady short shorts with manly legs like in this comic.*feels sick* He's supposed to be a kid, agile and free-will, which is why I like All Star Batman and Robin, since they depict him so perfectly well. :)

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/371/batmanthedarkknightretu.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/batmanthedarkknightretu.jpg/)
(Didn't get it) Anyway, back to the comics, I've also found The Dark Knight Returns which I think garners a lot of
positive reviews from readers. I browsed the content and got a shock of my life seeing the artwork
was so ghastly! it's like it's ebing drawn by a 5 year old, I mean Batman and Joker literally looks like two fat-asses. I know I shouldn't judge a book by the
art, maybe the story and writing are great for many people? I don't know. What I do know is that after that shocking revelation, I put back the book on the store shelf.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9932/may090178d.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/may090178d.jpg/)
I got Batman Hush, still reading it. The artwork is great and damn Catwoman looks hot in those goggles. :cln:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8876/wallpaperbatmanrip.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/i/wallpaperbatmanrip.jpg/)
And I've got Batman R.I.P. The artwork is amazing and full of intricate details. I like it. :D Still reading it though.

Alive_and_Funky
23-03-10, 19:57
I have just been playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and I've got to say that for perhaps the first time ever the spirit of Batman has been captured perfectly in a video game. You can tell that the developers love Batman; you just need to look at Calendar Man's cell: I bet that took forever to recreate.

Oh, and thanks to Jo269976 for posting about the new Batman animated movie. I hadn't heard about it before.

(Didn't get it) I've browsed through A Death In The Family. The classic artwork doesn't do it for me, and the Robin bashing scene by the Joker doesn't feel that violent or real. Plus it seems so pointless that they kill of Jason Todd, when there's a new guy
coming aboard to become...yet another Robin. *sigh* :o
Well, a lot of fans didn't think very highly of Jason Todd, so a vote was held whether to kill him off or not. As you know, they got rid of the snotty brat (yay!). I'm guessing they still wanted a Robin around though, so they created the more likable Tim Drake.
Actually, I'm after Drake's introduction story, A Lonely Place of Dying. I think it might be out of print now though.

(Didn't get it) Anyway, back to the comics, I've also found The Dark Knight Returns which I think garners a lot of
positive reviews from readers. I browsed the content and got a shock of my life seeing the artwork
was so ghastly! it's like it's ebing drawn by a 5 year old, I mean Batman and Joker literally looks like two fat-asses. I know I shouldn't judge a book by the
art, maybe the story and writing are great for many people? I don't know. What I do know is that after that shocking revelation, I put back the book on the store shelf.
Frank Miller pulled double duty (as in he both wrote the script and drew the artwork for TDKR), which explains it. :p
I reckon that TDKR would make a great movie though. I think they almost did make one at some point but they must have changed their minds.

Shark_Blade
24-03-10, 00:14
I have just been playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and I've got to say that for perhaps the first time ever the spirit of Batman has been captured perfectly in a video game. You can tell that the developers love Batman; you just need to look at Calendar Man's cell: I bet that took forever to recreate.Yeah the atmosphere was spot on in that game. I'm waiting for the Game of The Year Edition (next month I think). Don't really like the idea of playing with 3D glasses, so I'll be playing on normal mode.

Well, a lot of fans didn't think very highly of Jason Todd, so a vote was held whether to kill him off or not. As you know, they got rid of the snotty brat (yay!). I'm guessing they still wanted a Robin around though, so they created the more likable Tim Drake.
Actually, I'm after Drake's introduction story, A Lonely Place of Dying. I think it might be out of print now though.They could've changed his character's attitude (drastically or slowly), but no - they want a completely new guy which looks exactly like Robin. It's like killing of the original Lara Croft and replace her with someone else who is not Lara Cr...oh, wait.
But anyway, I'm not going to fuss. It's been down the history line and I accept that's what happened.

Frank Miller pulled double duty (as in he both wrote the script and drew the artwork for TDKR), which explains it. :p
I reckon that TDKR would make a great movie though. I think they almost did make one at some point but they must have changed their minds.You mean the sequeal to the Dark Knight movie? I'd love to see how the whole city will be hunting down Batman. :D

Jedd Fletcher
24-03-10, 09:43
Actually, I'm after Drake's introduction story, A Lonely Place of Dying. I think it might be out of print now though.

My literature teacher a few years back gave me A Lonely Place Of Dying. It's not too bad, but I didn't like how it crosses over with the Teen Titans, it's a little messy in that respect. It's a follow-up to Death in the Family, but that one is better. I recently borrowed a collection of Neal Adams-drawn DC stories. That man's art is amazing, it's a classic look and he has a good grasp of anatomy and action.

http://www.molehillgroup.com/batman-adams.jpg

Borrowed a few other Bat-books, including the Batmobile Owner's Manual. Due to its interactive nature, the book is in terrible shape and the "secret blueprints" to the Batmobile are, as expected, missing from their envelope. However, the book includes a great cross-section spread of the Batmobile and an impressive spread of the Batcave.

Batcave spread (http://www.thetopdraw.com/images/3.2_science_fiction/Batcave.jpg)

(image too large to embed)

Also, check out this gorgeous cover art for the new Batman Beyond limited series coming in June:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9919/smbmanncv402.jpg

Best part, this cover is by a fellow Singaporean, Stanley "Artgerm" Lau!

Alive_and_Funky
03-04-10, 11:04
You mean the sequeal to the Dark Knight movie? I'd love to see how the whole city will be hunting down Batman. :D
Nope, I think it was something they were thinking about creating before they even decided to make Batman Begins.

My literature teacher a few years back gave me A Lonely Place Of Dying. It's not too bad, but I didn't like how it crosses over with the Teen Titans, it's a little messy in that respect. It's a follow-up to Death in the Family, but that one is better. I recently borrowed a collection of Neal Adams-drawn DC stories. That man's art is amazing, it's a classic look and he has a good grasp of anatomy and action.

http://www.molehillgroup.com/batman-adams.jpg
Wow! That is impressive. Actually, I might have one of his comics lying around somewhere. I remember having one from a long time ago (I think it belonged to my brother) that looked kinda like that.

Also, check out this gorgeous cover art for the new Batman Beyond limited series coming in June:
They're making a Batman Beyond comic?

LightningRider
03-04-10, 11:09
Neal Adams was amazing. I can't wait for Oddysey, his return to Batman. 12 issues of goodness. <3

Jedd Fletcher
03-04-10, 11:19
Sad news everyone. It's a few days late, but the great Dick Giordano has passed away. He was truly a legend and one of the defining Batman artists of his time.

http://www.dickgiordano.com/gallery%20images/Dickie%20Published/scan0004.jpg

RIP.

Shark_Blade
10-04-10, 17:39
That's too bad. :( Never seen his art though, not yet.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5598/61reuhvvqpl.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/i/61reuhvvqpl.jpg/)

Anyway, I took another go and bought A Death In The Family (DC Comics Classic Library) which also includes 'A Lonely Place of Dying' story where Timothy "Tim" Drake was introduced. (I guess the black cover one I posted earlier doesn't include the additional story and some of the creators' excerpts/rememberances. Plus this colorful one is a hardcover, thicker with more pages and a bit more pricy).

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2923/batmandeathfamily.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/batmandeathfamily.jpg/)

I thought I was bothered with the classic art at first but got used to it later on. I was so absorbed with the story, I was genuinely hooked with Tim's character. He's agile, smart; he deduced that Dick Grayson was Robin and Nightwing, and figured out that Batman and Bruce Wayne was one and the same. He even knew that Jason Todd was the second Robin that died for some time - damn that boy did his homework alright. :D

It's pretty much bizarre that they had let the readers decide Robin's fate through phone call voting, I've never heard of such a thing. It pretty much made history and this book is among my favorite Batman comics. It bugged me a little how they drew Tim Drake - he's only a 13 years old boy but when he donned his Robin outfit, his legs are like 30 years old, with those huge bulky muscles, wtf?? :/ Meh, I love the story regardless.

TombRaiderLover
10-04-10, 17:44
They've republished A Death in the Family? Interesting ... I'm thinking of going shopping for books soon, so as well as The Rules of Attraction, I may add to my rather small collection of Batman graphic novels.

Shark_Blade
10-04-10, 17:55
I recommend it, as this book is a milestone in it's own rights. I also believe it's a continuation after 'The Killing Joke' story since they did hinted about Barbara being paralyzed from her legs down after what the Joker did to her.

SPOILER**
By the way, in the end of 'A Death in the Family', the Joker was shot through his chest by some Arab maniac guy. His helicopter crashed into the ocean but no one was found.

In 'A Lonely Place of Dying', they showed the Joker laughing in a hospital besmirching Harvey Dent through a telephone? And he was also in stitches that Batman now has a new 'brat'. Can anyone share with me what book is the continuation of this story? Thanks. :)

Actually, I'm after Drake's introduction story, A Lonely Place of Dying. I think it might be out of print now though.Well look no further Alive n Funky, 'A Death In The Family (DC Comics Classic Library)' has that story in aces, complete in 5 parts. :D

IceColdLaraCroft
10-04-10, 18:03
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9919/smbmanncv402.jpg
Best part, this cover is by a fellow Singaporean, Stanley "Artgerm" Lau!

Terry looks gorgeous. I'm falling in love all over again.

Jedd Fletcher
11-04-10, 06:22
Which of the girls of the Batman universe are your favourite? There are so many memorable femmes to choose from, from Poison Ivy to Barbara Gordon and Catwoman to Huntress. I really like Catwoman, I think it's interesting that Batman was given a love interest on the other side of the law, it makes for a very dangerous and dynamic relationship.

LightningRider
11-04-10, 06:29
If anyone has read R.I.P., I'm telling you to buy the Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn Hardcover.

Buying it monthly itself is amazing, but the hardcover is simply phenomenal. :cln:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WJEqdjofL._SS500_.jpg

So much goodiesssss.

Oh, and mine goes to Catwoman or Thalia, but I have a soft side for Jezebel Jet. Sad she's gone. :p

Shark_Blade
11-04-10, 12:42
Mine will be Catwoman also. She was so alluring in Hush, and it's great that Batman shows his true face to her and brought her to his Bat Cave. Oh, and I love the little bird-cat quarrel she had with Robin. :D

I also love the art in that book.

LightningRider: Isn't that Robin is Batman's son (the one he had with Ra's al Ghul's daughter? I've no idea how on earth they went to town together before).:confused: Anyway, he seems like a spoiled brat to me, and very, very rude. Read a bit about him in 'Batman & Son' and also 'The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul'.

Carbonek_0051
11-04-10, 12:45
Which of the girls of the Batman universe are your favourite?

Catwoman.:p

Shark_Blade
11-04-10, 12:49
^What a surprise. :p

Carbonek_0051
11-04-10, 12:50
I know, I'm so unpredictable.:cool:

Alive_and_Funky
11-04-10, 12:57
Well look no further Alive n Funky, 'A Death In The Family (DC Comics Classic Library)' has that story in aces, complete in 5 parts. :D
Cool! Thanks! :D

Which of the girls of the Batman universe are your favourite? There are so many memorable femmes to choose from, from Poison Ivy to Barbara Gordon and Catwoman to Huntress. I really like Catwoman, I think it's interesting that Batman was given a love interest on the other side of the law, it makes for a very dangerous and dynamic relationship.
Harley Quinn is my favourite. :D
I like Catwoman and Poison Ivy quite a bit as well (Harley and Ivy make one hell of a team, by the way).

LightningRider
11-04-10, 13:00
Mine will be Catwoman also. She was so alluring in Hush, and it's great that Batman shows his true face to her and brought her to his Bat Cave. Oh, and I love the little bird-cat quarrel she had with Robin. :D

I also love the art in that book.

LightningRider: Isn't that Robin is Batman's son (the one he had with Ra's al Ghul's daughter? I've no idea how on earth they went to town together before).:confused: Anyway, he seems like a spoiled brat to me, and very, very rude. Read a bit about him in 'Batman & Son' and also 'The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul'.

Yes, yes he is a dick. :p

But after having lived with the Daughter of the Demon, I'm betting he probably would've ended like that anyway.

He's absolutely amazing though. You kinda start liking the character after the first arc. And Dick is good as Batman. He's good. :D

But, I absolutely can't wait for the Return of Bruce Wayne. :jmp:

Jo269976
11-04-10, 13:00
Harley Quinn :mis:

Jedd Fletcher
12-04-10, 06:25

I couldn't stand Damian at first because he was such a jerk, but he's started to grown on me a little now that he's an official Robin.

LightningRider
12-04-10, 06:44
He's grown into it.

My absolute favorite Damian Scene

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5474/damiany.jpg

Damian as the Omen everybody! He's amazing. :vlol:

Maybe I'll get the full page for this later... :D

Shark_Blade
12-04-10, 11:43
^lol the demon child. Look at him, staring at you with those empty eyes..

But, I absolutely can't wait for the Return of Bruce Wayne. :jmp:
Huh? Explain please? I thought Robin is the Batman now? This better not be some voodoo mumbo jumbo resurrection like Ra's al Ghul.:pi:

Harley Quinn :mis:
You gotta read 'Mad Love' and 'Harley and Ivy', I love her in those stories. :D Mad love especially since you get to experience Harley's origin. And I realized some of her dialogues in comic was used in the Arkham Asylum game. "Call me Harley. Everyone does". "You can't deny there's an element of glamour to these super criminals". :D

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1077/batmanthelonghalloween.jpg (http://img177.imageshack.us/i/batmanthelonghalloween.jpg/)

Just finished The Long Halloween. Gosh it feels like I'm playing Heavy Rain, hunting and figuring out who the hell was this "Holiday" killer. All in all, a very enjoyable read. :D I think I've seen this "Calendar Man" cell in Arkham Asylum game on 360 if I'm not mistaken..Don't really know him.
Anyway I wiki a bit about Long Halloween and found out that The Dark Knight movie was heavily inspired by this book. Wowza. :D

Check this out:
The film's sequel The Dark Knight adapted many elements of this story, such as the decline of the Gotham mob, and the rise in prominence of "freaks" such as the Joker, the Scarecrow and Two-Face, the casting of Two-Face as a vigilante, and the "I believe in Harvey Dent" campaign slogan. Also, the setting of Batman, Gordon, and Harvey Dent talking on the roof of the Gotham City Police Department is taken from this story and used in The Dark Knight, as is Gordon's line "he does that" to Dent when Batman disappears from the conversation in the middle of Dent's sentence. In the comic, Harvey Dent has acid thrown on his face during court, but in the film a witness draws a gun on him (though this is not how he becomes Two-Face in the film). The comic also depicts Dent and Batman discovering mountains of cash and destroying it, while in the film it is the Joker who destroys a pile of the mob's cash.

I'm reading Dark Victory right now. I saw Robin on the cover but where the hell is he? I'm up to page 128 at the moment.

LightningRider
12-04-10, 12:11
Oh, Bruce didn't die in RIP, he died in Final Crisis.

Long Story Short: New Gods Come Back After Each being Murdered. Darkseid spreads Anti-Life Equation Disease thingie. Batman kills him, but not before he is transported back in time(!). The Storyline will continue in...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5c/ROBW_1_Cover.jpg/398px-ROBW_1_Cover.jpg

Look if you've only read the spoilers.

But currently, Grant Morrison (All Hail Grant!) is revealing bit by bit the mystery of Dr. Hurt, who we last saw in RIP. Remember he said he was Thomas Wayne?

Well, turns out, Thomas Wayne was a cult leader, who worshiped Barbatos, the Devil, or the Bat God. Thomas means Twin. Coincidence?

Anyway, yeah. Grant has started the story in Batman vs. Robin (Starting Last Month), which will be collected in Hardcover soon as Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin Vol. 2.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517%2BtsEKliL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

;)

Lmfao, me an my Comic Book Knowledge. :3

Shark_Blade
12-04-10, 13:21
Thanks for sharing your comic book knowledge. :p So Batman also didn't die in "Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader?" as well? So many Bat deaths lol. I think it's only a near death experience..

Oh and I love that cover you posted plus it has Robin, awesome. :jmp:
Definitely looking forward for that issue.

Carbonek_0051
12-04-10, 13:23
You gotta read 'Mad Love' and 'Harley and Ivy',

I'm pretty sure he has read at least one if not both of those.:p

Shark_Blade
12-04-10, 13:26
You sure know a lot about him, huh Nate? :ton:

LightningRider
12-04-10, 13:27
Thanks for sharing your comic book knowledge. :p So Batman also didn't die in "Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader?" as well? So many Bat deaths lol. I think it's only a near death experience..

Oh and I love that cover you posted plus it has Robin, awesome. :jmp:
Definitely looking forward for that issue.

Near Death Experience. But Neil Gaiman sure did make a good story out of it.

And I'm always here to provide my comic book knowledge. It's one of my best abilities. ^_^

IceColdLaraCroft
12-04-10, 13:48
This is the most important woman in Batman/Bruce Wayne's life:

http://i42.************/33e7hvl.jpg

Discuss ;)

LightningRider
12-04-10, 13:52
Talia. <3

I'd kill to have Angie play her. That'd be ****ing amazing. :cln:

IceColdLaraCroft
12-04-10, 13:55
Talia. <3

I'd kill to have Angie play her. That'd be ****ing amazing. :cln:

oh i know!

In the 90's I wanted Catherine Zeta Jones (especially after 'the Phantom") but now angie would make an amazing Talia!

Shark_Blade
17-04-10, 12:59
Just finished Batman and Son.

SPOILER

Damien replaces Bruce and Dick as Batman in the future it seems, but I'm annoyed that he shaved his head bald. And the Batman outfit in the futre that he wears is a little silly - like a private eye coat but with Batman's mask on. Anyway, I much prefer young Damien, I'm starting to warm up to him despite his brute force and rude behavior. I'm looking forward for Batman & Robin. :D

And on this issue too, I learnt about Talia. She reminds me a bit of Angie in Mr and Mrs Smith somehow.

Jo269976
24-04-10, 18:43
4Z1jvq6bXYE

TombRaiderLover
24-04-10, 18:49
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of Batman comics recently. My collection is expanding. :mis: I also purchased the Joker graphic novel that was released in 2008. Very good, though on the short side and somewhat anti-climatic.

Alive_and_Funky
25-04-10, 13:43
I bought The Crow yesterday and while flicking through, I noticed some pictures that reminded me of Heath Ledger's version of the Joker. Perhaps it's just me, but The Crow's posture at times and some of the clothes he wears make me wonder whether Christopher Nolan was influenced by The Crow.

Carbonek_0051
24-07-10, 09:44
So I watched Under The Red Hood, and I can honestly say it's ****ing amazing. The voice acting, the story, the atmosphere. As "good" as the current films are, I really wish they would go into the fantasy realm and capture the feel of Batman as much as this animated film did. There is so much potential in the world of Batman and I feel like it's not being explored correctly. Anyway, if you're a fan of Batman you MUST watch this. I only wish the current animated series was this good.