PDA

View Full Version : Needs tips to drive a manuel car !

_Lam
22-09-09, 23:07
Hi everyone !

It's been like two months that I have my car ! My first one, and it's manuel ! At first I wasn't able to drive it loll, it took 2 weeks before being able to drive it normally.

Now I can drive it almost perfectly but there's still little problem about my driving that I still have and I really don't know what I am doing wrong, that's why I need you help.

1- Sometime, when I shift up, like always, I release the clutch a bit and push the gaz pedal a bit, but I don't know why, sometime the car starts banging a bit. Is it because I release the clutch too fast, or because I do not give enough gaz ?
I tried releasing the clutch slowly but one of my friend told me that doing this was "burning" my clutch because I was holding it too long while giving gaz.

So what should I do ?

2- Also, when I'm in 2nd gear, my car starts banging when I stop giving gaz. For exemple, my RPM is a 2,5 and there's a curve on the road, so I stop giving gaz and than the car start banging a bit until I give gaz again. WHY ?

Thank you for your help ! :D

Catracoth
22-09-09, 23:14
I don't know much about manual-geared cars, but I must ask, did you go to driving school? They usually teach you how to properly drive automatics and manuals.

Ikas90
22-09-09, 23:16
1. When you shift up, don't use too much gas. Release the clutch at least 3/4 of the way before pressing down on the accelerator again. As a general rule, don't have the accelerator pressed when changing gears.

2. Hmm, sounds odd. Don't know about that one. Maybe it's your car?

Johnnay
22-09-09, 23:55
i hate it when the car turns off itself if your driving manual.

Mr.Burns
23-09-09, 01:34
The trick with stick shift is to know when the clutch engages/disengages when it's pressed or released. Otherwise just let off the clutch all the way but a bit quicker than normal, otherwise you are burning the clutch and those aren't the easiest things to do. The banging, is it an actual noise coming from the engine or transmission or is it a shaking? shaking might be an issue of not getting enough fuel or a vacuum issue, but there could be other causes. Regarding the clutch again, fortunately for my case, my Mustang has a performance clutch so you really can't ease off of it slowly, it has a serious recoil. Good for fast shifting :D

viper456
23-09-09, 01:46
Its strange because I know what you mean but I can't explain how to do it...it just happens lol! *feels useless*

peeves
23-09-09, 01:51
Well 1st of all you should try to release the pedal more easily but quickly so this way it won't keep bumping recklessly and for the 2nd problem it may just be the manual car.

viper456
23-09-09, 01:58
For the second problem try knocking the car down a gear, the stuttering usually means its gunna stall...thats if I have read the problem right. Its late dontcha know :( lol

Mr.Burns
23-09-09, 02:06
It's also possible that they are shifting at too low an rpm. Dunno about other cars but mine, it's best to shift at at least 3000rpm.

_Lam
23-09-09, 14:37
The trick with stick shift is to know when the clutch engages/disengages when it's pressed or released. Otherwise just let off the clutch all the way but a bit quicker than normal, otherwise you are burning the clutch and those aren't the easiest things to do. The banging, is it an actual noise coming from the engine or transmission or is it a shaking? shaking might be an issue of not getting enough fuel or a vacuum issue, but there could be other causes. Regarding the clutch again, fortunately for my case, my Mustang has a performance clutch so you really can't ease off of it slowly, it has a serious recoil. Good for fast shifting :D

The "banging" is more of my car shaking.
Thanks everyone I'll try some of you tips ! :)

And I always shift at 3000 rpm.

Love2Raid
23-09-09, 16:04
A manual geared car starts to ´shake´ for various reasons, such as trying to take off in 2nd or 3rd gear for example, or when you change gears too late (then it will also make a noise).

When changing gears:

- Timing is important, you can look at the meter which shows how fast the engine is running (next to the one that shows the actual speed of the car). I usually shift up at 2000 or something. You can also listen to your car. :D
It does depend a bit on the car. Roughly I take off in 1, change to 2 after a few seconds, to 3 when I am going about 30 km/hour, 4 when going > 50 km/hour, 5 when going > 80 km/hour.

- Release gas slowly while slowly pressing the clutch pedal at the same time, it doesn't have to be that slow :p, just make sure you don't release/press pedals abruptly and that the transversion goes fluently. Then change the gear, make sure it's in place, then release the clutch again and press the gas pedal in a fluent way (use both feet at the same time). When the car starts to shake or make noise:
1. The gear is not properly in place, or you have changed to the wrong gear (for example 3 in stead of 5).
2. You have released the pedals too fast.

Remember:
- Automatic cars are boring.
- The 'shaking' can be very nauseating to people who are sitting on the back seat. :p
- Practise makes perfect. ;)

Cochrane
23-09-09, 16:05
Love2Raid, do you drive a diesel?

Lara_Zoz2006
23-09-09, 16:06
make sure u wear a sports outfit coz u sweat so much fighting with the sterring wheel while trying to parrell park !!!!!..... Or maybe thats just me

Cochrane
23-09-09, 16:08
make sure u wear a sports outfit coz u sweat so much fighting with the sterring wheel while trying to parrell park !!!!!..... Or maybe thats just me

No, just don't parallel park. Once you have passed your driving test, there's almost never a reason to actually do so. You can find another parking space somewhere else. At least that's my method. :D

Love2Raid
23-09-09, 16:09
Love2Raid, do you drive a diesel?

Lol, I don't have a car atm, but I took lessons in a diesel yes. :D
How do you know? :confused:

Spong
23-09-09, 16:26
15 replies so far and no one's made a Fawlty Towers reference.

[/off-topic]

Chocola teapot
23-09-09, 16:29
Fawlty towers reference.

Lara_Zoz2006
23-09-09, 16:37
hahahahah yer, smash it pieces with a piece of tree !!!!

Cochrane
23-09-09, 17:16
Lol, I don't have a car atm, but I took lessons in a diesel yes. :D
How do you know? :confused:

Because of the speeds for the gears you mention. I've learnt similar speeds when I had my lessons (on a diesel), but a petrol engine works differently, and you change up a little earlier. When I want to save gas, I'm generally in fifth even though I'm doing just fifty km/h, and (unless I'm accelerating hard to overtake some truck or annoy some BMW) I change to fifth around 60-70 km/h at the latest.

Love2Raid
23-09-09, 17:27
Because of the speeds for the gears you mention. I've learnt similar speeds when I had my lessons (on a diesel), but a petrol engine works differently, and you change up a little earlier. When I want to save gas, I'm generally in fifth even though I'm doing just fifty km/h, and (unless I'm accelerating hard to overtake some truck or annoy some BMW) I change to fifth around 60-70 km/h at the latest.

Aha! :D

I use my father's car sometimes (not diesel) and indeed I have to shift gears at lower speed. But I always thought that was because it's an old car. :vlol: :o

_Lam
23-09-09, 20:52
A manual geared car starts to ´shake´ for various reasons, such as trying to take off in 2nd or 3rd gear for example, or when you change gears too late (then it will also make a noise).

When changing gears:

- Timing is important, you can look at the meter which shows how fast the engine is running (next to the one that shows the actual speed of the car). I usually shift up at 2000 or something. You can also listen to your car. :D
It does depend a bit on the car. Roughly I take off in 1, change to 2 after a few seconds, to 3 when I am going about 30 km/hour, 4 when going > 50 km/hour, 5 when going > 80 km/hour.

- Release gas slowly while slowly pressing the clutch pedal at the same time, it doesn't have to be that slow :p, just make sure you don't release/press pedals abruptly and that the transversion goes fluently. Then change the gear, make sure it's in place, then release the clutch again and press the gas pedal in a fluent way (use both feet at the same time). When the car starts to shake or make noise:
1. The gear is not properly in place, or you have changed to the wrong gear (for example 3 in stead of 5).
2. You have released the pedals too fast.

Remember:
- Automatic cars are boring.
- The 'shaking' can be very nauseating to people who are sitting on the back seat. :p
- Practise makes perfect. ;)

You shift at 2000, that not enough, well not enough for my Mazda Protege loll !
Well thanks but I do all the things you don't... I guess the problem is that I release the clutch too fast or too slow.

Cochrane
23-09-09, 21:32
You shift at 2000, that not enough, well not enough for my Mazda Protege loll !
Well thanks but I do all the things you don't... I guess the problem is that I release the clutch too fast or too slow.

Car driving is not something that is explained through text or talking with someone. The only solution is to drive a lot. With enough practice, it will become natural.