PDA

View Full Version : judging peoples posts/ cedibility by their avatars...

larafan25
23-09-09, 01:26
Does anyone find that you can be taken more seriously or can take others more seriously depending on their avatar?:)

or sometimes respect someones oppinion more and their credibility depending on their avatar?:)

I'll be the first to admit that I do it all the time...

If someone has an avatar that, maybe isn't a mature looking avatar but the person has kept that avatar for a long time, then I actually think about what they are saying when I read their post and feel like they are a very smart mature individual who knows what they are talking about...

or if someone goes from a rather silly avatar or something that is fun, you see them as someone who is really fun to talk to and joke around with, but once they change that avatar to something a little more mellow they seem different to you....

does anyone experience this or take it into concideration when creating or choosing their next avatar?

AmericanAssassin
23-09-09, 01:27
Anytime somebody has an avatar with a goofy looking person, I imagine them looking that way. :p

Tony9595
23-09-09, 01:28
↑ I wonder what you think of mine... :p

I don't relate avatar to the posts, or how serious they are.
But I've been confused lots of times by relating avatars with the users :eek:
I sometimes see a girl on an avatar and I think that the poster is a girl, or the girl in the avatar. And then I realize that it has nothing to do with them :p

EternoD
23-09-09, 01:29
anytime somebody has an avatar with a goofy looking person, i imagine them looking that way. :p

hay guise

Larapink
I don't judge peoples posts, I don't take others more seriously just because of their avatar. After all this is the internet, I don't really have the time to pass those judgements towards people on the internet it's really pointless it's easier to walk away from it online.

Catracoth
Anytime somebody has an avatar with a goofy looking person, I imagine them looking that way. :p

I know, it totally freaks me out.

Tombraiderx08
23-09-09, 01:30
Hmm, well, I've never really been judged by mine I dont think, not that im aware of, but im guilty of some assumptions like "oh so and so likes this singer" or "this band member" but if somebody has a silly avatar i think of them as being a silly person :)

larafan25
23-09-09, 01:30
LMAO

ya I forgot sometimes I associate the persons appearence with their avatar:p

Jo269976
23-09-09, 01:31
Whoever disregards someones opinion over a choice of picture, or a numerical figure, seriously needs a reality check.

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 01:33
Whoever disregards someones opinion over a choice of picture, or a numerical figure, seriously needs a reality check.

Well when I look at yours I think you are some crazy illusion of some guy who killed his wife. Does that make me a bad person?

Spong
23-09-09, 01:33

This.

_Awestruck_
23-09-09, 01:34
I recognize people through their avatars. Then they change them and I have to re-recognize them. Rince repeat.

Tombraiderx08
Whoever disregards someones opinion over a choice of picture, or a numerical figure, seriously needs a reality check. Well the whole point of having an avatar is choosing how to represent yourself in the virtual world isnt it? :confused:

Jo269976
Well when I look at yours I think you are some crazy illusion of some guy who killed his wife. Does that make me a bad person?

No, you'd be a mistaken person, I'm gay :wve:

Well the whole point of having an avatar is choosing how to represent yourself in the virtual world isnt it? :confused:

Partially, it may be one specific aspect of your personality or interests, but you can't base judgement over one little aspect.

AmericanAssassin
23-09-09, 01:36
Well the whole point of having an avatar is choosing how to represent yourself in the virtual world isnt it? :confused:

Exactly. :tmb: That's why I think it makes sense to judge someone on their avatars. ;)

ThatNorskChick
I always picture the avatar speaking to me...even my own.

Catracoth
I just think that if you think you can make assumptions about someone by looking at their avatar, you need a lesson in social skill building. Unless of course that person has an avatar of a celebrity or something, then you can obviously assume they're a fan, like Awestruck, Minty Mouth, and I with our Paramore avatars.

Mr.Burns
I judge people based on their actions and the content of their posts, not on an avatar. However I am curious as to what people think when they see a pigeon staring at them :p

Nerd For Life
23-09-09, 01:37
I judge people based on their actions and the content of their posts, not on an avatar. However I am curious as to what people think when they see a pigeon staring at them :p

I feel violated by that pidgeon.

Carbonek_0051
No, you'd be a mistaken person, I'm gay :wve:
Oh, right. A crazy illusion of a guy who killed his boyfriend then?
Whoever disregards someones opinion over a choice of picture, or a numerical figure, seriously needs a reality check.Partially, it may be one specific aspect of your personality or interests, but you can't base judgement over one little aspect.
Btw I agree with both of these posts.:tmb:

_Awestruck_

I seriously think you and Justin are birds, I'm not kidding.

It freaks me out. :mad:

:p

Spong
However I am curious as to what people think when they see a pigeon staring at them :p

I think disease-riddled vermin ;)

Carbonek_0051
23-09-09, 01:39

I think "TIME TO GET THE BB GUN!". Kidding. Sort of. lmao

Jo269976
23-09-09, 01:39
Oh, right. A crazy illusion of a guy who killed his boyfriend then?

Btw I agree with both of these posts.:tmb:

Sure thing :tmb: But why would I wanna pillow smother him? :p

I just hope I don't get crapped on.

Tombraiderx08
23-09-09, 01:40
I judge people based on their actions and the content of their posts, not on an avatar. However I am curious as to what people think when they see a pigeon staring at them :p It sort of intimidates me :vlol:

Tony9595
23-09-09, 01:41

This comes to my mind! :yik:
http://pigeond.net/images/fix_pigeons.jpg

Catracoth
23-09-09, 01:43
I think 'apple sauce' whenever I see Mr. Burns' avatar. Oh yeah, I bet no one saw that coming.

;)

Mr.Burns
23-09-09, 01:44
:vlol: You guys crack me up. :tmb:

Jo269976
23-09-09, 01:46
That pigeon reminds me of Alex DeLarge:

http://www.stylevoyeur.com/alex-de-large1%5B1%5D.jpg

Nerd For Life
LOL, I can kinda see it, Jo :vlol:

Siberian Tiger
It sort of intimidates me :vlol:

Which is probably his intention. Right Mr. Burns? We're on to you. :pi: :p

I don't judge anyone by their avatars, but I associate that person with that image. If someone has an avatar of Lara Croft looking angry, on some level I imagine that person to look or be like that, even though I know it's not true.

Spong
23-09-09, 01:52
I don't judge anyone by their avatars, but I associate that person with that image...

I think that's fair enough to say :tmb:

Uzi master
23-09-09, 01:54

I sometimes see a girl on an avatar and I think that the poster is a girl, or the girl in the avatar. And then I realize that it has nothing to do with them :p

Me too! I did that with January_Snow:p

scoopy_loopy
23-09-09, 02:58
I dont usually judge people by their avatars, but certainly by their posts; content, grammar and spelling, winning sarcasm, you know, the usual stuff. :p

Paddy
23-09-09, 03:06
I noticed more Kingdom Hearts fans seem to respond to me because of my avvy lol.
Dunno if I should be annoyed or not.

Johnnay
23-09-09, 06:00
i dont judge people by posts nor avatar( which i dont know why this was done)

but i have noticed people judge my posts sometimes. i possibly in fact am the only person here to be said " think before you write, this and that bullying ****"

i dont like it. and i dont want to make names anyway

rowanlim
23-09-09, 06:03
I don't relate the avatar to a person's opinions/intelligence etc, their posts will reflect that.

However it's easier for me to remember someone when they stick to their avatar long enough :)

Paddy
23-09-09, 06:04
i dont judge people by posts nor avatar( which i dont know why this was done)

but i have noticed people judge my posts sometimes. i possibly in fact am the only person here to be said " think before you write, this and that bullying ****"

i dont like it. and i dont want to make names anyway

Actually many get told that same thing, I myself have learnt to think before I type, if someone says that its because you gotta think will that post offend someone?
Ive been told it before too, rightly so, its not bullying when someone tells you to think before you type, its for your own benefit.

tonyme
23-09-09, 07:52
ya I forgot sometimes I associate the persons appearence with their avatar:p

I admit that I do that! :p

young Lara Croft
23-09-09, 08:10
I think it might be relevant , people's avatars relate with their personality alterall
'you are what you eat' and stuff like that :)

Legends
23-09-09, 08:26

I think your analyzes has had an error somewhere because when that's the thing you weigh and judge people based upon, something is seriously wrong. I'll admit that I don't love everyone's avatar, but it's still just a visual. The opinions are written.

does anyone experience this or take it into concideration when creating or choosing their next avatar?

No.

Thorir
23-09-09, 10:23
I judge people by what they write. Severe grammar and spelling mistakes makes my eyes bleed. :p

Avatars are just visual representations. :)
I don't think my avatars reveal much about my personality.

MiCkiZ88
23-09-09, 10:39
Sometimes avatars reflect the writers personalities, but most of the time the avatar is supposed to be an alter image of the person. Personally I'd say most of my avatars have reflected my personality in one way or another.

I judge people from their writing style and content though.

pneboy
23-09-09, 10:45
what about me

TR love
23-09-09, 10:47
I guess i sorta do, but only slightly.

If the person has a funny avatar, i assume they love sharing a good laugh, sad avatars, normal avatars, awesome avatars etc.

Your_Envy*
23-09-09, 11:00
Not really, maybe with funny avatars. :D

*looks at her avvie* I hope you guys know that I DON'T SMOKE! :tea:

Admles
23-09-09, 11:02
Not really, maybe with funny avatars. :D

*looks at her avvie* I hope you guys know that I DON'T SMOKE! :tea:

Nah, you're just smokin' hot ;)

Avatars are just a picture for me, nothing more

I hope noone thinks I'm a sith lord....

marla_biggs
23-09-09, 11:23
i hope im credibell x

Rai
23-09-09, 11:57
I don't judge someone by their avatar, but I do imagine an avatar as showing a small part of their personality or something they like. Sometimes though I can't help it, if they have a pic with an angry expression for example, I can't help but imagine that member as walking around stomping their feet all the time or if they have a funny avatar then they must be fun people. I know that it isn't logical to think those things, but it's hard not to sometimes. :o:p

Reggie
23-09-09, 12:00
I think that avatars inevitably reflect something about the member but picking out exactly what that is and building assumptions about that person through just an avatar isn't ideal as its only going to display onbe facet of what they're all about. My avatars have represented me in loads of different ways during my time. For example, my first avatar was a nephilim symbol representative of my interest in the Angel of Darkness storyline and mythologies, other avatars included an abstract one of blue circles which I made myself (my artistic side), a man standing in front of a tank in Tianamen Square (my political beliefs) and the last couple of avatars have been scenes from Japan (my favourite country). So while I like avatars, and I always take notice of them, I try to not to read into them too far.

CerebralAssassin
23-09-09, 12:08
it's silly to judge a person by the avatar,but I do admit some posts by people with goofy avatars emit some sort of aura of "goofiness" :p

msalpha2omega
23-09-09, 12:08
I have to admit that I imagine every single person that has Lara as their avatar to be a girl...... And when someone referes to them as "he", then I'm a bit confused until I realise IT'S JUST AN AVATAR!!!!! :hea:

Paddy
23-09-09, 12:19
it's silly to judge a person by the avatar,but I do admit some posts by people with goofy avatars emit some sort of aura of "goofiness" :p

In that case next avvy I get shall have a Mayberry reference :D

CerebralAssassin
23-09-09, 12:20
In that case next avvy I get shall have a Mayberry reference :D

LOL...or maybe even King Triple H himself!:p

Paddy
23-09-09, 12:26
LOL...or maybe even King Triple H himself!:p

Haha nah thatd be stealing your thunder :p

DREWY
23-09-09, 13:00

Well there goes my credibility.......:p

violentblossom
23-09-09, 13:07
I don't judge them on their avatars, but I do draw some minor conclusions on said person's interests and such.

I also associate people with their avatars by way of appearance. For example, Mona Sax in my head looks just like her avatar.

I like the really funny or creative or artistic avatars. I like Spong's current choice because it's made me laugh, and I also really like Your Envy*'s avatars, and Irjudd's off the top of my head for varying reasons.

Ada the Mental
23-09-09, 13:19
Most of the avatars just give you a glimpse of the user's interest. That's all. I just find it easier to recognise a poster by looking at their avatar rather than the username.

I hope noone thinks I'm a sith lord....
You're not? :yik:

And Mr Burns...I remember that time when a brainless pigeon flew straight at my head or that other time when I was passing under a tree and a bird pooped on my hair. As you can imagine, those are not fond memories.

Dennis's Mom
23-09-09, 13:33
I admit to feeling offended by some avatars (not necessarily here), and then I will attach "thoughtless" to a poster, as if they didn't care whether they offended anyone or even wanted to do so. *shrugs*

An avatar is a choice, so it's not unreasonable to extrapolate something about a person from it. But it's just one choice in the billions that make up an entire person, so it is unreasonable to base your entire opinion of someone based on an avatar.

Eddie Haskell
23-09-09, 13:40
Unfortunately I am guilty of this. Mainly because of bias and projection. I am certain however that there are those who are somewhat flippant about the process that they simply use an image of something that they like to look at, instead of utilizing an image that reflects something about themselves in a personal way. But still, regardless of the rationale for its use, that image is a visual representation of the person behind it...as far as I know.

Those who constantly change their avatars are mysterious to me, and in my mind young, bored and insecure (with some exceptions of course). And yes, I am quite judgmental. :D

tonyme
23-09-09, 13:43
I have to admit that I imagine every single person that has Lara as their avatar to be a girl...... And when someone referes to them as "he", then I'm a bit confused until I realise IT'S JUST AN AVATAR!!!!! :hea:

For future reference I'm a "he"

violentblossom
23-09-09, 13:47
Those who constantly change their avatars are mysterious to me, and in my mind young, bored and insecure (with some exceptions of course).

Well, avatars can be a means of showing dimensions of personality as has been said, so for me (as someone who does change their avatar frequently), I often have a different avatar as to showcase different facets of who I am.

I don't see it as insecurity so much, it's just a visual representation of my overall person at the time in which my avatar is selected.

Your_Envy*
23-09-09, 13:47
I don't judge them on their avatars, but I do draw some minor conclusions on said person's interests and such.

I also associate people with their avatars by way of appearance. For example, Mona Sax in my head looks just like her avatar.

I like the really funny or creative or artistic avatars. I like Spong's current choice because it's made me laugh, and I also really like Your Envy*'s avatars, and Irjudd's off the top of my head for varying reasons.

Awww thank you so much Rae, I love yours too! :cln::hug:

Lee croft
23-09-09, 13:49
I think everyones done at least onece or twice wheather(sp?) it was there intention to or not.

Alex Shepherd
23-09-09, 13:49
Does anyone find that you can be taken more seriously or can take others more seriously depending on their avatar?:)

or sometimes respect someones oppinion more and their credibility depending on their avatar?:)

If someone has an avatar that, maybe isn't a mature looking avatar but the person has kept that avatar for a long time, then I actually think about what they are saying when I read their post and feel like they are a very smart mature individual who knows what they are talking about...

or if someone goes from a rather silly avatar or something that is fun, you see them as someone who is really fun to talk to and joke around with, but once they change that avatar to something a little more mellow they seem different to you....

I truely have the same feelings as you. So yes but I don't judge them, I may be disturb from their posts because of their avator but never judge them.

Kiss-Bite
23-09-09, 14:01
I certainly remember a member more if they keep their avatar for a longtime or always use one with a familiar theme. Members with an interesting username & avatar certainly stand out to me. I actually take a long time to select or create one for myself, I've only had three in my time here.

I wouldn't say that a members avatar has any effect on the way I judge the credibility of what a member posts. What is said & how it is said is the most important thing & sometimes I also take into consideration other factors such as age & first language.:)

msalpha2omega
23-09-09, 14:37
For future reference I'm a "he"

LOL you don't have to worry, since I've never met a girl who's called Tony... So, yeah, I had already figured that out!!! :D

tomblover
23-09-09, 14:58
I judge people depending on their grammar... avatars add some visibility of experience, though. :)

GenyaArikado
23-09-09, 15:07
Well, avatars can be a means of showing dimensions of personality as has been said, so for me (as someone who does change their avatar frequently), I often have a different avatar as to showcase different facets of who I am.

Me too

xXhayleyroxXx
23-09-09, 15:08

me too! omg how strange

adventurerLara
23-09-09, 15:41
No I don't judge people by their avatars, but more so on their attitude and general personality that comes across in posts.

Love2Raid
23-09-09, 15:46
I remember people by their usernames, not their Avatars. I even have the Show Avatar option disabled at the moment...

Chocola teapot
23-09-09, 16:14
I Know I do. :p

Lara_Zoz2006
23-09-09, 16:16
Heheheh im sometimes get men and women completely wrong by the avatars and just incase anyone sle has the same im a girl hehehe

TRhalloween
23-09-09, 16:24
I think it's ignorant to judge someone's avatar over the internet, I judge people for what they look like in real life :hug:

irjudd
23-09-09, 16:28
I wish somebody here had Ruby Rhod as their avatar. That would be the best.

Minty Mouth
23-09-09, 16:33
Judge is the wrong word. We can often make assumptions of a persons personality based on their avatar, but in may cases we see that these were very wrong assumptions to make. You can't judge a book by it's cover. (A saying that fits perfectly here)

violentblossom
23-09-09, 16:36
However I am curious as to what people think when they see a pigeon staring at them :p

I feel violated by that pidgeon.

:vlol: This convo was so win.

patriots88888
23-09-09, 16:39
No, I do not. Why would I, and why would anyone else for that matter? I don't know anyone on this forum personally and I imagine most other members don't either. Anyone can make assumptions and claim that they know how someone is just by another's avatar(s) or post(s), but the reality is, they really don't (unless they've actually met in person and spent some considerable time with them, that is). ;)

Chocola teapot
23-09-09, 16:46
:vlol: This convo was so win.

I love your avatar!!

Cloe Christina
23-09-09, 16:49
Judge is the wrong word. We can often make assumptions of a persons personality based on their avatar, but in may cases we see that these were very wrong assumptions to make. You can't judge a book by it's cover. (A saying that fits perfectly here)

yeah i agree .....

Minty Mouth
23-09-09, 16:50
yeah i agree .....

Ellipsis Make me paranoid T_T

Biddy
23-09-09, 16:54
Personally to me it's a concern when someone can just go off and base all of their judgments on someone by their avatar, you're regarding the surface, ain't 'ya? To me posts are wholly more preferable in terms of getting to know that dude or chick's into's/opinions/favourite potted plant, yada yada! But don't get me wrong, I luurve a good avatar. :jmp:

jackles
23-09-09, 17:54
*looks at avatar*

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll what can I say? ;)

patriots88888
23-09-09, 17:58
*looks at avatar*

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll what can I say? ;)

Nothing needed! That grin says it all for you! :p

Encore
23-09-09, 18:48
Of course not. The only judgment I make is that I'm awesome because I'm the only one with mr Bruce Lee on my avatar. :cool:

But it is a pertinent question since in real life it's equivalent to: "do you judge people by their tastes"?
Which, btw, I don't. But I see people do that all the time.

touchthesky
23-09-09, 18:51
Not really, but I do find myself imagining a persons looks based on their avatars sometimes if I haven't seen a pic lol.

I always imagine Sarah Michelle Gellar sitting posting Joes....:p

larafan25
23-09-09, 21:41
BTW I don't ever really pay attention to post count incase any wife killers were thinking that:D

anywho, it is my FIRST impression based on the avatar, then when they speak(post) I get my second impression...:D

irjudd
24-09-09, 01:32
...wife killers were thinking that...

Wait... what? What does domestic violence have to do with any of this?

LaraLuvrrr
24-09-09, 01:35
hehe people used to think i looked like a monster cuz of my old avatar....

but my new one... well i like the band she's in but i dont smoke

shadow_fire
24-09-09, 01:47
I more look at the posts, though when looking at the avatars (depending what site Im on) I also tend to place their gender by their avatar, and sometimes their personality. Also, with that I kinda combine it with their signature, and sometimes the extra info...it kinda makes an image. BUT I dont judge like that makes that person set it stone, if you know what I mean.

Im curious, what you would make of mine??

Gladous
24-09-09, 02:09
This.

Amen, brotha! :tmb:

Sir Croft
24-09-09, 02:18
I don't judge them by their avatars, I actually judge them by post count/join date :p
But the avatar pretty much becomes their faces, and some similar avatars have confused me in the past :p

spikejones
24-09-09, 08:00
avatars and their respective posts..

at first I was tempted to say something along the lines of "what does a person's avatar have anything to do with the post in question" but upon closer inspection into the realm of avatars and human psychology (a psychologist I am not, though I can make my best stab at the topic) I am apt to arrive at the following conclusions.

A person's avatar is a virtual representation of the person them-self. Typically a person will choose an avatar that portrays an aspect of them-self that they hold near and dear to them-self or that which they wish they had but do not. On the other side of the equation it is no doubt that many a person will view this avatar as being the person them-self, and depending upon the discussion at hand, as well as the readers interpretation of said avatar -what it must logically say about the person them-self- the reception of the post can drastically vary from user to user and situation to situation. Case in point, a user with Britney Spears as an avatar who partakes in a conversation about Britney spears will generally have their posts well received by others within the thread, barring any past incidents which may sway a reader's perception of said poster in one direction or another. On the other hand, the same poster representing them-self with Britney, who posts for some reason or other in a thread about another genre of music all together, may in fact have their post disregarded all together. This same person may also have their post totally disregarded if a particular reader holds great disdain for Britney Spears or Pop music celebrities in general. Likewise, a user who portrays them-self as a "Loony Toon" character may have the effect on other users as not being a serious person when engaging in a topic relating to intellectual matters. However, once ample time has been allotted for users to acquaint themselves with one another and the normal subject of each others' posts, the aspect of the avatar itself influencing the reception of the post will subside and the name itself instead will begin to take precedence, especially in the case when a user may be of the habit to change their virtual self on a regular basis.

so for a new member, I am inclined to suspect that avatars may play somewhat more of a role in the perception of a post, or the reading thereof, than for a member with more longevity and activity on the forums.

Drone
24-09-09, 08:09
I don't think that each and every avatar here can be meaningful. 90% have Lara Croft or any other video game character as their avatar. but people are different. if f.e. there are 20k users with Lara avatar it doesn't mean that they are all the same. in 90% avatar says nothing about the person

spikejones
24-09-09, 08:18
those people with Lara Croft as their avatar obviously like Lara Croft do they not? therefore their avatars do, in fact, say something about them. one could argue that they chose it because this is a Tomb Raider forum, but again, one would not be at a tomb raider forum and select a Lara Croft or other Tomb Raider avatar unless one had at least a mild interest in Tomb Raider. Therefore, I stand by my reasoning that each and every avatar holds some significance. Perhaps not all choose them based upon their most beloved aspect of themself, but undoubtedly they all are chosen because they can relate to content of the image in some manner or other. This then gives everyone a window, however large or small, into the mind of the person with that avatar.

patriots88888
24-09-09, 08:19
Hmm, I'm kinda split in opinion between spikejones' and Salim's posts in regards to the avatar and member's persona topic. I think most people do put some deeper thought into their avatar selections because it's important to them to project a certain 'quality'? or characteristic about themselves to others. However, I think there most certainly could be those who like to 'join in' and be one of the crowd and solely choose one just for that reason also.

spikejones
24-09-09, 08:31
well in my opinion, if a person is joining in with the crowd, it is for one of two reasons that I can think of off hand. firstly would be that they actually like the images depicted, and secondly that they like the crowd who uses those kinds of avatars. case in point, at one time here - there was a small fad of crystal tux avatars. likely it began with one person seeing The Lord Regent's avatar and thinking "hey thats pretty cool - i want one like that". they may not have like Star Wars, Linux, or penguins, but rather liked the artwork. Then came others jumping on the "tux bandwagon". I think draco had one actually, as did I. I chose mine during the crystal tux fad because A) I was playing with Linux at the time, B) I like Hellboy - so I got Hell Tux.

Carbonek_0051
24-09-09, 08:44
So if what you say is true spikejones, what does my avatar say about me?

spikejones
24-09-09, 08:52
how did i know some smarty pants was gonna say something like that? I figured it would be Drone lol. I honestly dont recognize the avatar, so I can't make any assumptions about you based upon it. but I guess you like anime/comics, or whatever "cartoon" that is.

Drone
24-09-09, 09:00
those people with Lara Croft as their avatar obviously like Lara Croft do they not? therefore their avatars do, in fact, say something about them

judging peoples posts/credibility by their avatars - title of this thread.

liking Lara or Tomb Raider still got nothing to do with the person itself. I love Lara, he loves Lara, she loves Lara, we love Lara, they love Lara ... everybody can love Lara. avatars won't tell you about people's quality, even posts sometimes can't show that.

Carbonek_0051
24-09-09, 09:00
@spikejones: Nope, Kingdom Hearts. And I wasn't being a smarty pants, I was simply asking. I'm not exactly a big fan of Anime. I was only asking to see if said theory could apply, because if you did somewhat assume I like anime it would prove that judging someone's tastes or personality based on their avatar might be wrong because it might not have anything to do with them or could be the wrong assumption.

liking Lara or Tomb Raider still got nothing to do with the person itself. I love Lara, he loves Lara, she loves Lara, we love Lara, they love Lara ... everybody can love Lara. avatars won't tell you about people's quality, even posts sometimes can't show that.
Exactly.

spikejones
24-09-09, 23:55

and to which I answered - did you not read the post I put up which explains how people can very easily judge someone and their post based upon their avatar? or were you simply taking a side conversation out of context and calling out "off topic" on a conversation which began "on topic" and as such is still related to the topic at hand?

you have got to be kidding me right?
liking something or disliking something has everything to do with the person them-self. It is a facet of their very essence, something which helps to define who they are - however minuscule it may be. Obviously it may not tell you every little aspect about someone, and its commonly said not to judge a book by its cover - yet it is within human nature to pass such judgement on people. And after all, is that not the topic of this thread? Whether my judgment is right or wrong (wrong in the case of Carbonek's avatar being that I did not recognize it - yet felt compelled to respond to him out of respect) i am nonetheless passing some form of judgment upon him. As to whether I look at his avatar and think differently of his post, no I don't - I've been around long enough that I don't really care what his avatar looks like (hell he changes it often enough anyhow). But there are still others that I've not encountered that when I see an avatar like Angelus' (if its still the same from when i was here more frequent) with a really mean looking person - it does have the effect of making the entire post seem more menacing. Even though this may not be the person's intent - that is the reception on my end.
@spikejones: Nope, Kingdom Hearts. And I wasn't being a smarty pants, I was simply asking. I'm not exactly a big fan of Anime. I was only asking to see if said theory could apply, because if you did somewhat assume I like anime it would prove that judging someone's tastes or personality based on their avatar might be wrong because it might not have anything to do with them or could be the wrong assumption.

Exactly.
well as I said - I didn't recognize the content of your avatar, being that I'm not a kingdom hearts fan, nor have I ever played it. however, had I recognized it - I would have of course assumed that you liked kingdom hearts. had I also liked kingdom hearts - I would have more than likely made an association with you (were I new) that would actually play a role in my perception of you and your posts. If this is not "passing judgement" then please enlighten me as to what you would consider to be. As for the "smarty pants" comment, just a touch of light sarcasm towards an old friend. no offense intended.

Romantics Inc.
24-09-09, 23:58
iwrestledabearonce...

LaraRules81
25-09-09, 00:00
iwrestledabearonce...

Oh so that's what it says! :p

Lee croft
25-09-09, 00:01
iwrestledabearonce...

And how did that work out for you? :p

Romantics Inc.
25-09-09, 00:02
Ya see children!! I DIDNT ACTUALLY WRESTLE A BEAR! People judge me all the time, I feel like crying (sarcastic) :(

spikejones
25-09-09, 00:12
methinks (http://www.myspace.com/iwrestledabearonce)

Carbonek_0051
25-09-09, 00:20
@spikejones: Thanks for explaining a bit more, I was just asking out of curiosity and trying to give my input on what I thought.:)

Romantics Inc.
25-09-09, 00:21
methinks (http://www.myspace.com/iwrestledabearonce)

YAY! :jmp:

Encore
25-09-09, 01:15
liking something or disliking something has everything to do with the person them-self. It is a facet of their very essence, something which helps to define who they are - however minuscule it may be.

Someone's tastes do say something about them and they're a way to know them better. I think that's common knowledge. But they're not suposed to be criteria for evaluating things like credibility, intelligence, and ultimately, the value of their posts, which I believe is what this thread is asking.

spikejones
25-09-09, 01:58
well.. the thread asks quite simply in the opening post whether or not you do find yourself doing so - or being on the receiving end of such judgment - not whether it is right or wrong to do so. general consensus would undoubtedly be that it is "wrong" to do so, but it still happens and no doubt everyone has at one point or another done so to some extent. as to the other part of the opening post, taking the aspect of judgment in relation to avatar into consideration when choosing one - I never put that much thought into it at all. I'm not out to please everyone with a "sophisticated" or "artsy" or "totally radical beyond compare that everyone will have no choice but to like me" avatar, that is simply not possible. to be entirely honest with you, I would much rather that people identify with what I have to say than what I "look like". No doubt everyone feels the same way, thus we all feel it is wrong to pass judgment in such a manner.

Azerutan
25-09-09, 03:11
If the avatar is from a crappy band, no, I won't take that person very seriously in music discussions :p But overall, it's not anything I really pay that much attention...

oocladableeblah
25-09-09, 04:46
Nah, I consider their personality with their av, but not whether their post is credible or not.

Melonie Tomb Raider
25-09-09, 04:50
I don't.

Heather (Quasimodo) is a good example. Very intelligent girl, but sometimes her avatars are so funny. :vlol:

Elmer
25-09-09, 05:02
No I don't judge people by their avatars, but I must admit that by a lot of people I only scan what's written, as by others I take the time to read thoroughly.
So... you could say that I judge people on their earlier posts:)

Encore
25-09-09, 11:04
general consensus would undoubtedly be that it is "wrong" to do so, but it still happens and no doubt everyone has at one point or another done so to some extent.

I must confess that to me it has happened the other way around. I mean, if there's a member who's posts I particularly dislike, after a while their avatar alone begins to annoy me. :vlol:

irjudd
25-09-09, 13:14
I must confess that to me it has happened the other way around. I mean, if there's a member who's posts I particularly dislike, after a while their avatar alone begins to annoy me. :vlol:
I'm glad to hear this. Because I have indeed used adblock plus on a few avatars because the possessor of it irritates me. It's like my own secret way of insulting them maybe?

Nerd For Life
25-09-09, 13:22
I'm glad to hear this. Because I have indeed used adblock plus on a few avatars because the possessor of it irritates me. It's like my own secret way of insulting them maybe?

I should do that. I refuse to use ignore lists, so this seems like a better option!

Lizard of Oz
25-09-09, 15:21
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/ORLY/1/580525645_b0c4a64df3.jpg

>.< I don't judge people by their Avatars lol

Drone
25-09-09, 15:53
In a nutshell:

no avatar in the world can hide your personality. People I love and people I hate can have any avatar, it won't change my mind